“Not of the caliber expected” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
4th Night Complimentary
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Manhattan, NY
“Not of the caliber expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stayed at the One & Only Ocean Club for three nights in March, hoping for a restful getaway after having a baby and before returning to work. My expectations, in light of the fact that I had heard so much about One & Only resorts, and the price, were high. I booked the hotel because I expected the service and rooms to be fabulous, and it was easy to get to from NYC. I requested early check-in specifically in the forms that were sent to me, as I knew I would arrive around 10am. When I arrived, I was told that my room would not be ready early before normal check-in time. Prior to telling me that, the female concierge who was in charge of checking me in commented (as she stood up to walk me to a desk in the library to do the check-in): "wow, you are short!". Terrible first impression and totally unacceptable for a hotel of this 'class' (I am 5ft). I roamed the grounds, then made my way to Dune (the Jean Georges restaurant) for a nice lunch, and then changed and then sat on one of the beach chairs. But my room was not even ready at the time it was supposed to be ready, and no one seemed to know anything--they said the hotel was full and the guest who had been in my room had requested a late checkout (no thought about why anyone had granted that request, considering I had requested an early check-in and if it meant they would not be able to check me in). They said they would make another room available to me to rest and change prior to the massage I had booked in advance for that afternoon. The room I was shown first for that purpose had housekeeping still working on it, and the next room (with absolutely no view) had brown water coming out of the shower. These were rooms near Courtyard Terrace restaurant and I do not know if they even rent these out to any guests--they are terrible. Needless to say, being sleep deprived and exhausted, I was very frustrated, and trekked back to the front desk. Finally, one person, Ms. Sophia Rankine, made it her mission to make sure I had a good time and assured me that she would have something for me after my massage. The massage at the spa was very pleasant, in a room facing an open garden. Sophia then said she had had a last minute cancellation and was so sorry about my day and upgraded me to a glamorous suite--a Crescent Wing Luxury Beachfront Suite. The room was spectacular, with direct views of the beach (although beachfront, you are separated by grass and have to walk to the main beach entrance to access the beach). Huge bathroom, just gorgeous decor--nothing even remotely like the room I was shown initially to just change in. You can see the pictUres on the hotel web site. I was very relieved and happy in that room, and management also had sent a bottle of champagne and bowl of fruit which was very nice after the trials and tribulations. General other impressions: The champagne and strawberries in the afternoons are a very nice touch. Note of caution: do not leave breakfast remnants on the room terrace--a flock of pigeons feasted on mine my last day. I personally am not a fan of the private butler service as I did not need much service--I just wanted to rest and felt that I had been deprived of almost one whole day of my trip--but I suppose it can be useful for families. The movie ordering service on the TVs did not work (there were two flat panel TVs) so it required a call to the butler, who called the engineer, who was supposed to fix it when I went to dinner, but did not. Food at Dune was quite good (very similar menu to Nougatine lunch menu in NYC) although by the end of my trip I was a bit tired of it. The staff at Dune were helpful (I accidentally left my Kindle and they kept it overnight.) Complimentary Yoga on the deck facing the beach was nice. The beach is nice but not the best (read: not like Riviera Maya or Barbados), and the beach chairs are not luxurious either. The ability to walk on the beach to Atlantis (or take a shuttle for dinner) so that one can have more activities while being away from Atlantis crowds is great, and I had dinner one night at the sushi bar at Nobu. Overall, with the exception of Ms Sophia Rankine, I was not impressed with the level of service, but thought the room was lovely and the resort has potential. Had I been able to check in early, I would say it is a convenient destination from New York. If you want to go to Paradise Island, because of the convenience or because you want to check out Atlantis, I think the Ocean Club is a good choice. If you want to generally go to a luxury Caribbean resort, I think there are better ones to check out...

Room Tip: Definitely Crescent Wing
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
ABERDEEN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed the Ocean Club in September as part of our vacation and had a fabulous time. Staff were fantastic, very friendly and helpful. The bar staff in The Library were superb. The hotel has immaculate grounds, the public areas were very well maintained the pool was spotless. Great loungers both at pool and beach. We had a Ocean View room in the Crescent Wing which was lovely. Gorgeous bathroom, plent of space in the wardrobe and a fully furnished balcony

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

My stay at the One&Only was amazing. I've stayed in Luxury Hotels numerous of times but by far this was the best! The people, food, location... amazing! In particular there were a few people that made my stay so unforgettable, Elvardo from Butler Services... BLEW US AWAY! Rochelle and Tonya... extremely helpful and intelligent! Overall my family and I had one of the best vacations ever... hard to top!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and I went to the One and Only for a long weekend for our 20th anniversary. My husband chose the property, thinking it could be the best for many reasons; easy location from Atlanta, Jean George at the restaurant helm, James Bond movie shot there, pristine beaches. So it was very unfortunate when on our first night, our camera was stolen from the library bar. Not only did the staff not react to our loss quickly, it was presented to us as "this doesn't happen here" attitude. We had to continually ask about how the staff was looking into the incident with no follow up from them. The video was not viewed until almost a week later and there was no sense of urgency to find our property. We were hoping for a place where we could go annually and establish a fun locale for a long weekend. Not only will we not go back to the One and Only, but we tell everyone NOT to go to this supposed 5 star resort that does not respect their guests's property. It is a shame and a great disappointment.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

The One & Only are luxury resorts to go to when you want to splurge! The obvious is that they are expensive, but in my opinion they do not disappoint. The exclusivity begins the minute you make your reservation online or on the phone. Once they noticed that my wife and I had previously stayed at one of their properties 3 years prior, they immediately upgraded us to the crescent wing which is a $400 per night difference from what we had originally booked. The butler service is superb; you can request anything at any time of the day. Our butler heard me and my wife complaining about the prices of drinks and how we like to drink cappuccinos and espressos in the afternoon; that he brought us our own espresso machine in the room and made sure we had the coffee pods all week long.
Yes, we did run into a couple of problems with some staff: the ones that make your feel like they are doing you a favor and you HAVE to tip them (like other reviews mentioned). But once that was out of the way our butler made us feel like the only ones on the property. This is a place where if you complain of mosquitoes in the room, they come in change all the sheets, covers, towels and spray the room from top to bottom with repellant!
We stayed here with our 7 month year old boy and I have to say, considering the demographics of clients that stay at this hotel, they were more than accommodating. One of the biggest reasons we chose this hotel over others, was for their babysitting service. We utilized this service every night around dinner time. It allowed my Wife and I to enjoy our nightly dinners and helped us to really celebrate our anniversary. There is nothing worse then seeing the sweaty, angry, overworked, inpatient, morning staff at breakfast time and at this place it’s quite the opposite of that. Breakfast quickly became our favorite time of the day. Our waiter would wait for us everyday, save us the same spot, remember our order and greet us with the biggest smile. When the food arrived him and the hostess would play with our baby boy to allow us to eat. I have never seen anything quite like it. There is nothing really that I can think of that they can improve on more then lowering their prices; even offering some kind of half board accommodations. The beach service is exceptional, to accommodate the beautiful beach its self and the property is kept clean and looking gorgeous.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We had a great time at the One & Only. Beautiful beach suites and charming hotel staff, we loved every day by the pool and beach.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011 via mobile

You have got to have sympathy with the senoir management here, they preent a clean well run and hospitable hotel that thinks of everything ( magazines by the pool- reading glasses - suncream)
But some of the staff have one he'll of an attitude on them, they should not be in the service industry, it must be a local problem I guess, some are charming but others in middle management riles are churlish and snarling!
We had a great holiday and my thanks go out to the 75% that do a good job

• Stayed August 2011

Been to One & Only Ocean Club? Share your experiences!