“Laid back and quiet resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marley Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Marley Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Marley Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   West Bay St | Cable Beach, Nassau, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Edinburgh
“Laid back and quiet resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

My wife and I wanted some relaxation during our honeymoon and since we were going to Orlando for a 2 weeks we decided on Marley Resort and Spa.

This was the perfect place to relax and unwind, we went mid june and must o been the quiet season as there was only one other couple there on day 1 and days 2 & 3 we had the resort to ourselves before another couple joined us on the last couple of days.

The hotel itself is a small distance from any amenities and unless you get a bus or a taxi there is nowhere nearby to eat. Our room was nice and clean and came with Bose sound system and fridge and plasma tv. The service in the hotel was very laid back the food was okay I can recall having a burger that was nice. The beach and poolside area were clean and towels provided for guests. Got annoyed a few ties when non residents came in to take photos or admire the view and spoke with staff to ask them to stop letting people in and it did not happen as much.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Portland, Oregon, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

First off, since some of the pictures here on Tripadvisor still show a beach: There is no beach in front of the hotel. It was washed out a few years back. That being said, the location is nice (although some rooms face a very busy road). The pool area is very small, but great ambiance.

In response to an earlier another review here on Tripadvisor, management stated: "We would like to assure you that we have revised our special event guidelines and no longer plan to host large events that may be a disruption to our guests". That policy must have been revised once again. During our stay, the hotel arranged a party. A flat out rowdy party with hundreds of people and loud music just outside our room until the sun came up. We heard what sounded like gunfire and police sirens outside on several occasions. Needless to say, this was not a party for the hotel guests. No sleep until dawn.

The breakfast was interesting, since the procedure changed every day. The dining area has a very nice ocean-facing patio, but the staff clearly didn't want us to eat in the restaurant area. The first day we were encouraged to eat in our room (but we didn't take the hint), the next day food was just delivered too the room. The third day, there was actually a buffet in the restaurant. We had dinner in the restaurant one night, and both the food and service was fantastic (we happened to like what was on the fixed menu). There is no wine selection to speak of (they had one red wine, and that's what we got).

Staff overall was hit and miss. Some of them were exceptionally nice and service-minded, others clearly had the "why the bleep are you disturbing me while I'm busy sitting here doing nothing" kind of attitude. Don't expect the staff to be able to get a taxi for you, we missed a boat trip since the taxi they ordered never showed up, and they were unable to get a new one.

There aren't many restaurants or attractions within walking distance from the hotel. That being said, the bus stops right outside (but it only runs until about 6PM, depending on what the drivers feel like). Many of the nearby beaches are for resort-guests only, but there are some nice ones a few minutes (by bus) away.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face a busy road. Others are close to the bar. Some of the ocean-facing ones are a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Milltown, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

we were staying at a near by hotel and heard of the Marley, so we decided to go there for dinner...on my birthday no less. I don't even know where to begin...the waiter put us in a small dining room with one other couple that was sweltering hot. Once we opened the door it did get better. I asked to see a wine list, well I might as well have asked him for $1 million. About 10 minutes later he returned with what he called "a walking wine list" (which was just another waiter). He proceeded to tell me they had 2 local wines/house wines. That was it. My husband asked for a Heineken and they brough him a Kalick. The food was pricy, boring and bland. The service was so slow -- i know we were on island time, but this was beyond island time.

Room Tip: don't bother
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My family stayed in the Marley Resort last week. The room was clean, cozy and beautiful. This is a very quiet spot in the Bahamas, which we enjoyed. When we went to many other places in Nassau, you can easily hear noise, but here, it was nice just hearing the waves and the breezes around us. We needed a place like this to kick back, relax and enjoy only the ocen view and the sounds from it. The staff here was very helpful and very friendly, especially the manager. Although the beach is kind of small and was very windy the time we went, my family still loved to sit at the patio and just enjoy the ocean. The restaurants here were not big but the food was very delicious, and you can sit right beside the ocean. What a nice feeling it was! Other travelers might complain about the price, but compared with other hotels, this was worth it. There were some unique corners that I liked to discover here, because maybe this place is not as famous as Atlantis or the other popular hotels, but with the privateness, solitude, peace, and quietness, the Marley Resort & Spa is the best choice in the Bahamas.

Room Tip: stay here if you want a peace and quiet place for your vacation!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

I stayed here with my mother in June 2010. (thought I posted a review then) We really enjoyed ourselves. You do need to get yourself on 'Island time'. If you want people to hop-to-it then stay somewhere else.
Cons: some service does take a while; there were some AC issues one day but the staff made amends to make us comfortable. There isn't really a "beach" you can sit in the ocean and get sand between your toes but there is no room to "walk the beach". The pools are lovely but quite small. The pool-side music was great but too loud and the loop was too short. Check the dinner menu items before you get excited about a dish - it may not be available. it is a bit isolated - not too much around to walk to (but there is a supermarket in walking distance if you want to stock up on snacks). Service is good but slow
Pros: wonderful staff; Food was delicious - I had the Jerk chicken on my first and last night and it was different each time (both yummy). We were there when there were not a lot of guests and got a fabulous room upgrade; get an ocean front if you can; Spa is great; storms almost each night that passed through and then sunny by daybreak. Dinner in the courtyard on Sunday nights with a great singer.

We went to Atlantis one afternoon and with the big, sterile, freezing casino setting with the Cruise ship people coming ashore made me want to run back to the Marley.

Room Tip: spring for an ocean front room; use the spa; visit the restaurant or spa even if you aren't stay...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

My family and I stayed here for a week, and it is not an exaggeration when I say that our stay here was nearly perfect in every way: The staff is lovely, laid back and helpful, the food was excellent (albeit a bit pricy), and the hotel itself was beautiful and quiet. The rooms were big, clean and nicely decorated. I've got nothing bad to say about this little gem of a hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I just got back from a week long stay at the Marley between Christmas and New Year's. We choose the Marley because we wanted to stay at a small boutique style hotel with an intamite feel. We statyed in "Talkin Blues" room which was fine, but it only had a very small window 1 ft by 2 ft that did not let in any light. The bathroom is so dark you can not see to shower or get ready. The room was clean though. There are only 2 rooms that have ocean views. The Legend and one Love, I understand these are very large and have balconies that open onto the ocean. I think that these are the only 2 rooms worth staying in, but even then..the service at this hotel is so poor that it is still not worth it. I have traveled throughout the carribbean and I am fully aware of "island time". That does not begin to describe the lack of effort or care of this Marley staff. The receptionist is also the bellman, hostess, maid, cook, bartender, and security. There is literally no staff and I was told the hotel was at full capacity. My husband and I ate at Simmer Down for dinner one night and we were told that there was no white wine, no red wine and no liquer at all to drink. We both had the Jerk shrimp which was good, but we paid the same price at Lucciano's (which is amazing) and had incredible service, food, and ambiance. We also ate at Cafe Mattise which was our favorite on the whole island. Ok, back to the Marley... the hot tub was so dirty that the water was brown and it had 3 inches of sand in the bottom of it. The pool was equally unclean. The outdoor lighting above the hot tub was so rusted that the can lights had fallen out of their sockets and were dangerously hanging above your head. The outdoor shower to rinse your feet off from the ocean before entering the pool was of course broken, thus all the dirt in the pool. The small indoor dining room had not seen a paint brush in years. The walls were dirty and scuffed with black marks everywhere you looked. It was my husband's 36th birthday so I had decided to get him a couples massage. The massuese (receptionist) was very late, so we sat there in our robes, I asked if I could have a drink of water while we waited for her, which I was later charged 2 dollars for. On our last day we were checking out of the hotel and we were asked how our stay was, we were honest about the terrible service so they offered to serve us lunch on them....we took them up on their offer. We should have learned our lesson because of the 4 items listed for lunch on the menu...they had none. THis is not a joke. I ordered the pasta and my husband ordered a sandwich, the receptionsist came back to say they did not have either available. I asked her what they did have and she eventually went to get the "cook" who only had one dish available. I wish I would have paid more attention to the negative reviews I read before booking the Marley. Our trip was simply a waste of money because of the Marley, we would have changed hotels but the whole island was booked because of the holiday.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Marley Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!