“Good for me, but not for everyone” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Compass Point Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Compass Point Beach Resort to your Saves list
Compass Point Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   West Bay Street | P.O. Box CB 13842, Nassau, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #1 of 33 hotels in Nassau
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good for me, but not for everyone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I really liked this place, but it is definitely not for everyone. There are a lot less things to do and a lot less people than Atlantic or one of the big box hotels. There are a lot less children and it is romantic. You can hear the waves lapping on the shore as you drift to sleep. It's about a 20 min taxi ride to "downtown" Nassau, and even longer to Paradise Island. The restaurant was surprisingly great, and it was a lot of fun to have leisurley meals over looking the water. The airport is fairly close, which bothered my companion, but I live in a city and didn't vene notice the noise. It depends on which of the things are important to you.

Room Tip: There is only 1 jacuzzi and it is right near 2 rooms. If you'd like to be near it, ask for it, i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

345 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I spent Thanksgiving weekend here in 2012. From the views to the excellent food to the adorable seaside cottages, there's not much about this place I would change. Four days was just the right amount of time to relax here and not get bored. The staff is wonderful. Will go back over and over again if we get the chance.

• Stayed November 2012
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Compass Point the entire week before Christmas 2012. Although there are 18 huts on site, only four huts were occupied so we pretty much had a very relaxing and relatively quiet stay. More guests arrived on December 21, presumably for the upcoming Christmas celebrations.

Our elevated hut was clean and large. The staff throughout the day and night were quite welcoming. Check-in and checkout was simple and a pleasure. The weather was great; partly cloudy all week with temperatures at night dipping to about 20 Celsius and raising to the mid-20s Celsius during the day.

If you plan to visit Nassau, the most economical means of travel is the bus; it travels along the northern coast of New Providence and directly into downtown Nassau. It only costs $1.50 per person (pay when you leave the bus). The bus stop is just east of the resort, about a two minute walk and near a fruit stand. Walk carefully along the side of the road because there are blind curves. There's no set schedule for the bus, however, so you may be waiting awhile. Taking the bus from Nassau back to Compass Point costs the same, and the bus will stop in front the resort across the narrow street. If you are traveling after sunset or don't want to wait for the bus, have front desk arrange a taxi. It should cost you less than $30 per trip.

The atmosphere of Compass Point is rather laid back so it's a great place to relieve any and all stress you might have. If I were to return to New Providence, Bahamas, I'll be staying at Compass Point.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Crownsville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

There is a lot to love about Compass Point, but some things to work on. Here are some thoughts from our stay (we are at the resort as I write this)--

The really good: we stayed in Hut 115, and I can confirm as others have that it is probably the best hut. Right on the water, stunning views of ocean and Love Beach, nice amenities with Aveda toiletries, two fridges, a/c, microwave, toaster oven, ceiling fan, flat screen, and sound system. I really, really liked the privacy of this place (we saw maybe 10 other resort guests over 4 days), which means you have the beach mostly to yourself, pool to yourself, hot tub to yourself, and even that nice pier to yourself. Even if this place was packed, it would still feel really private compared to the mega resorts at Cable Beach and in Nassau. The sounds of the waves crashing on the rocks was epic (really loud at night, but we loved that!), and a massage out on the pier I will probably remember forever.

The good: The food was good. We took advantage of the $15 per person breakfast allowance and enjoyed room service for nearly all our meals. I was freaked out about the menu from other reviews (my wife and I are vegetarians), but we found there were more options than other people discussed. And we didn't think it was overpriced ($14 for a pizza for two with up to 5 toppings is not expensive). Walk Love Beach-- we saw some fish in tide pools, a beautiful sand dollar, a starfish, and even saw a ray jump out of the water. What we didn't see were a lot of people-- nice.

Bonus points: I brought a juice squeezer and blender from home (current is same as USA) to make smoothies for my wife as a surprise.. Had groceries delivered to our hut from FoodStore2Go (Google it), including fresh fruit, my wife's favorite snacks (including some organic options), and a bouquet of local flowers. Ordering online was simple and, while pricey, gave us lots of food choices to supplement the restaurant. My wife put the flowers in a vase on our deck-- nice touch to our view.

The bad: the location is mostly a blessing, but had a few drawbacks too. To shop for island trinkets or even go to other restaurants you need to either take the bus or taxi. We found this slightly inconvenient, though the bus was very inexpensive and the wait was not long. There were some little island fruit type bugs in our room (even before we brought fruit in) and we also noticed them on our table at the restaurant. They were not swarming or overwhelming, but they were there. I had to work on the trip, and while there is WiFi, it cuts in and out, which can be annoying. We also lost power a couple of times and the plumbing went out once for a few hours for the entire resort.

The REALLY bad: These were the things that bumped 5 stars to 4, and nearly pushed me to 3. First, as I am writing this, there is a construction crew tearing down the roof of the hut next to us. They started at 9:30am. It is LOUD. So much for the peace and quiet. The front desk said they would ask them to stop working, but it has been over an hour since they told me that and the crew is working as loudly as ever. The front desk also promised to call me when the plumbing came back on after going out, but they never called. And the front desk seemed to have difficulty correcting its own errors on our bill. Every single order with room service (which we used a lot) had an issue-- they either forgot to deliver something, delivered the wrong thing, overcharged us for what they delivered (check your bill!), and the items were not always as represented on the menu (for example, the pancakes are listed as coming with chocolate shavings and caramelized fruit-- received neither all 3 days).

I am left with some mixed feelings. This place could be perfect if management exercised a little common sense and upped the service provided. At the prices charged, I expected a bit more on the service end, laid back Caribbean or not. But the views are epic and the privacy refreshing, and those carried the day most of the time. My closing thought as I write this is that they just started using the saw to cut wood pieces for the roof of the hut 10 feet from us. Buzzzzzzz, bang bang bang, instead of waves crashing as my parting memories of the Bahamas. Sigh.

Room Tip: Hut 115 is the best elevated sea hut, 116 is the best non-elevated sea hut.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Had a great 4 day vacation after hurricaine sandy . Alot of debris dead grass and trees. But the room (elevated sea hut) was amazing. Great cleaning staff. Restaurant was great. Need more beach chairs for love beach but we used the ones from their house next door. No glass on the windows just retractable screens and shutters the sound of the ocean and being right over top of it was amazing We have been to Bahamas a ton of times but loved this place. We wouldn't bring our whole family there but great for a couple get away. Shower was amazing with the windows open to the outside. We stayed in rm 117 would have rathered 115 ( the yellow roofed room in the pictures) just a better view of love beach and th resort. All in all a great time. Email me with questions.

Room Tip: Pick room 115. For elevated sea front. But 117 is a good room too just the view is not as good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

absolutely suggest going all out and getting the elevated sea front hut. the sound of crashing waves, the view of the ocean & the privacy make these huts worth it. we stayed in mid october, 2012. hurricane sandy snuck up and cut our trip short but no worries. the resort is very laid back, the bar and restaurant have amazing views of the ocean and sunset. the breakfast is included with your reservation and was very good. the huts were clean and had a great beach vibe. very chill and relaxing. no frills but that's what makes it special. the resort grounds are nice and the maid service was prompt. the front desk was nice enough when helping us understand the logistics of getting to paradise island or booking tours. the airport is extremely close, from taxi to resort, no more than 7 minutes. you do hear the airplanes overhead and coming in to land but did not bother us at all. love beach is right next to the resort and accessible via a walkway behind last hut - def take that walk. there is no beach really to sit on but there are lounge chairs near the pool that overlook the water. the hammock at the end of the dock is heaven. again - go for elevated beach front hut and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: elevated sea front hut all the way
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I work for a big airline and have been to many places but this hotel is just one of the dream ones. I don't like big hotels and this one is just ideal! We slept in a beautiful wooden house with a sea view, it has been just amazing to open the balcony doors every morning,see the sunrise and listen to the sea, very relaxing and it just couldn't be on a better place! Room was very clean and cosy, the biggest bed I've ever slept in!! Also the best sleep! Rooms are set in a garden and it's really private, just great. Perfectly clean every day which is a bonus really. People at the reception and in the restaurant were so friendly and helpful! You don't get this everywhere and it feels good to be looked after. Food was very tasty, especially the fresh fish which you can choose and it is prepared just to the perfection. Living in England we've also enjoyed the size of the drinks..Loved every minute and would definitely recommend to everybody! Little tip: Ask for the head manager Victor, he's the most helpful person we've ever met and he will just make sure everything is perfect!

Room Tip: Room Nr. 115 is the best as you're not too close to the pool and bar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Compass Point Beach Resort? Share your experiences!