“The best hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Compass Point Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Compass Point Beach Resort to your Saves list
Compass Point Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   West Bay Street | P.O. Box CB 13842, Nassau, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #1 of 33 hotels in Nassau
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The best hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I work for a big airline and have been to many places but this hotel is just one of the dream ones. I don't like big hotels and this one is just ideal! We slept in a beautiful wooden house with a sea view, it has been just amazing to open the balcony doors every morning,see the sunrise and listen to the sea, very relaxing and it just couldn't be on a better place! Room was very clean and cosy, the biggest bed I've ever slept in!! Also the best sleep! Rooms are set in a garden and it's really private, just great. Perfectly clean every day which is a bonus really. People at the reception and in the restaurant were so friendly and helpful! You don't get this everywhere and it feels good to be looked after. Food was very tasty, especially the fresh fish which you can choose and it is prepared just to the perfection. Living in England we've also enjoyed the size of the drinks..Loved every minute and would definitely recommend to everybody! Little tip: Ask for the head manager Victor, he's the most helpful person we've ever met and he will just make sure everything is perfect!

Room Tip: Room Nr. 115 is the best as you're not too close to the pool and bar.

351 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

It's by the sea, has an amazing view from the rooms, and it's full of colours :) The restaurant it's very nice and the rooms are clean and tidy. The only draw backs are the restaurant, with overpriced food for the low diversity and basic prices they have in the menu. But since everything in the Bahamas is imported, it's normal the high prices (I guess).

But it's worth to go and stay there. You never see a person with a sad face, and u have the beach in the hotel, and side of the hotel (and one of the best beaches in the Bahamas :)

Room Tip: Facing the ocean, but right by the sea.
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Guess most of the people get scared when they see such a colorful combination!! But this is it, it is very much natural, when you are there. It is nice, it is with and i am sure you will like and remember the good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for the huts closer to the water front
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The reason for our trip to the Bahamas was to attend our friend's Jason and Crystal's wedding. It was held at Compas Point Beach Resort. It was a beautiful place for a beautiful event. The colours of the buildings/cottages were amazing. Despite the rain, which we were told was unusual for that time of year, everyone had a brilliant time. I think the rain actually may have made the wedding a bit crazier. The staff were very welcoming, helpful and warm. All around a great place. The food was delicious. Would definitely go back for vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed there as last day of a honeymoon roundtrip. We had picked it based on other reviews and a nice lunch experience a week earlier. On the hotel: great location, views, Nicly set up and furnished individual houses to stay in, friendly check in staff. Though it gets noisy during the night when it's windy and the waves hit the rocks of the shore. The shore is not ideal to go for a swim in the sea, but there another one close by and there are also pools. The restaurant has been a disappointment due to the poor service. We choose a fish from the fish bar; after 20 min we checked for our meal - answer was it is coming soon. The saw after 40 min. After one hour we have been told the fish had been served to another table and apparently this was the last small fish left . Also -no apologies or compensation for this screw up. Very disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Go for 117 or 118.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed at Compass Point for 3 nights a couple of weekends ago. Overall, I enjoyed my stay, the hotel certainly had a nice, relaxed vibe to it which I'd read about in other reviews, and the room was pretty cool - I was in an elevated sea view hut. Big raised bed, small ensuite shower-room and nice to be detached from any neighbours in my own hut.

Unfortunately it rained for most of two of the three days I was there, and there was a power cut which meant on the first night the hotel was totally without power from about 7pm until the wee hours of the following morning. Nonetheless, when the sun was out and the power was on, I could certainly start to unwind.

I think my there are two reasons why I wouldn't give Compass Point more than two stars, or go back there if I was to visit Nassau again. These may or may not be important to you, and these are two points made in a lot of the other reviews on this site...I guess I just didn't realise quite how much they'd bother me!

1. The food is ridiculously overpriced and the menu is pretty limited. About $15 for a pizza, and most main courses over betwen $22-$40ish. When you're options are limited this quickly become pretty annoying. How can a piece of fish, probably caught within a couple of miles, cost $36 dollars?! If it was Michelin star dining then I'd swallow it, but it's definately not that...

2. The service. Now I knew it was going to be pretty laid back, but maybe not to this extent. On more than once occassion I had to get up after waiting several minutes in the restaurant and help myself to a menu. And one day I didn't get any housekeeping for my room. When you're spending over $300 a night, in my view, this is just not acceptable. They took off the $25 inclusive housekeeping gratuity for two nights as a result, but only after I asked for this. No apology was forthcoming either, and at check out I was told twice, if you dont drop the key when you leave we're going charge you $50. Charmingly communiated I thought...not! To be fair, when one of the head waitresses was around (seemed to wear different colour shirts), I quickly got all the attention I expected. But when they weren't around nobody seemed to pay guests much attention. How they can possibly expect anyone to add to the included 18% service charge on every food/beverage bill I have no idea, alhtough one poor NY lady who was also staying at the hotel told me she was too scared not too in case it affected the service even more!

Anyway, with these two big caveats, like I say, it was a pretty ok hotel. Just think you can probably get a similar standard of service, and probably environment for much cheaper if you look around and don't mind missing some of the room-frills.

One final point - who pays more than $110 for an hours massage in the Caribbean, and not even in a particularly nice spa?! Same price as I'd pay in London...hmmm....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We recieved a warm and friendly greeting from the staff and it never stopped our entire stay. The colors may seem a bit garish but when they open the door to your room it is perfect! We stayed for three nights and would have loved to stay longer.

The rooms: The sea view and sea front huts have great interiors with full amenaties. Large beds, plenty of room, and even a TV, cable, and DVD player (though you shouldn't need them!). The only drawback to the sea front is that the waves can be almost as loud as the in room air conditioning, though my wife loved the sound and slept deeply.

The restaurant: Great food and a great staff. While the menu can be limited if you stay for three meals a day for more than four days, it could get old. Breakfast is a small menu and if free with your stay then most of the items are $12, which covers the "free" up to $15.

The beach: The access to the beach be a bit sketchy if the tide is high and with waves since there are plenty of coral and rocks as you try get past the 15' between the steps and the beach. Once on the beach is is a lovely walk. If you try to swim out, pick your area carefully so you miss the coral rocks.

Access to town: Busses run on Bahama time during the weekends and somewhat more reliable during the week. We chose to avoid the heat and aggravation and took the taxi, which ran $35 going to the Atlantis area on Paradise Island. If you walk partway back into town during the daytime, you can find some good places to eat in the Cruise Ship tourist area downtown. You can also catch a taxi at the Hilton nearby.

This was a wonderful trip for us and we plan to return again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Compass Point Beach Resort? Share your experiences!