We stayed at ASTA on March 2-5, 2007 for a quick getaway. We found a hidden gem! Very peaceful and laid-back.
The staff at ASTA are wonderful!! Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful -- Glynis the manager, Khyla at the reception, Margaret & Harriet who tends to the guests' needs in the terrace & parlour. We enjoyed some great conversations with all of them.
The rooms are clean and well-equipped, with a comfy bed & linens. There is great water pressure in the shower. The room has a ceiling fan, a/c, mini-bar, small tv, and free broadband internet connection.
We were in Room# 5 which is an island-view room. It overlooks the pool and the island. The side window has a partial view of the ocean. There are french doors that open up to the wraparound porch with some seating benches. I checked out the porch for the ocean view rooms on the other side and they had very nice lounge chairs & daybeds on their huge porch!
Breakfast was good, with a selection of bread, fruits, and juice. You can get eggs, bacon, sausage, and pancakes to order. The chef is very accommodating. Coffee and tea is available all day long in the dining room.
ASTA is situated on top of a hill. Just down the hill is a rocky beach, and a few steps east takes you to Travellers Rest, a casual restaurant. Heading the other way is Compass Point Resort, which has a restaurant onsite. Both are within an easy walk. The only thing is, it is pretty dicey walking along the road at night as there is no sidewalk. So be careful and be sure to bring a flashlight.
We would highly recommend ASTA if you are looking for some peaceful lodging away from the hubbub of Cable Beach or Paradise Island. You can get away without a car, but it makes it difficult to get around for dinner.
For a complete disclosure, I have to report that some people may find the following to complain about since it is supposed to be a boutique type of place...
- Some of the towels & beach towels had frayed edges, which should have been retired.
- The floors were creaky. We could hear our neighbors upstairs as they walked around early in the morning. So if that is going to bother you, book one of the top floor suites.
- It is very close to the airport, so you will hear the planes, though we did not think it was that loud.
To us these were non-issues, but for others, they may nit-pick about these kinds of things.
We will definitely stay at ASTA again should we find ourselves on the island.
- Also Known As:
- a Stone`s Throw Away Hotel
- a Stone`s Throw Away Hotel Nassau
- A Stone's Throw Away Bahamas/Nassau
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the west end of New Providence lies an exquisite hideaway. A STONE'S THROW AWAY is perched on one of the highest elevations by the coast. Here our Guests can indulge in a rare panoramic view of Nassau 's land and sea. The scenery boasts the best of the island's natural wonders, from the native pine forest by Lake Killarney to the brim of the coral reefs that protect the glimmering beaches of west Nassau. The property was recently built to echo the traditions of an old Bahamian home: wood floors and wood ceilings, louvered shutters and a large wrap around porch bring the visitors back to a quieter time long ago when the music of the islands could be heard in the whispers of the trade winds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo and Agoda so you can book your A Stone's Throw Away reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.