“a stone's trow, mon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of A Stone's Throw Away

Save Saved
You added A Stone's Throw Away to your Saves list
A Stone's Throw Away
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Tropical Garden Road | Gambier Heights, Nassau SS5412, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Nassau B&B and Inns
Canmore
“a stone's trow, mon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

A welcome change to staying at any one of the mega resorts. A Stone's Trow Away, as written on the sign near the entrance, is a great spot near the water but away from the tourist hot spots of downtown Nassau and the Island. The ocean view room with a huge semi-private deck allowed us a spot to relax and unwind for a few days before heading off to one of the out islands. The room was nice, the food (when available) was decent and the staff were very helpful and amazingly friendly like all the Bahamians we had the pleasure to meet.
The building, however, is in desparate need of a handyman to fix the little annoying things that will always come up. The toilet was loose from the floor, the shower drain cover was broken, the fridge barely kept things cool, etc. Silly little things that do add up when one spends $200+ per night.

Room Tip: Ocean view, second floor

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The location was perfect. It was about 8 minutes from airport and cost $12 via taxi not a towncar who wanted to charge us $30-40. The entrance was unique to itself, the stone wall and layout. I didn't mind the steps at all but for an older person just take your time. John greeted us and took up our bags. The house decor was exactly what I expected and really quaint. The staff was the best part. Patrice, John, Phillip, Marcie, Kristine were very helpful and really nice to us. I'm a very friendly person and each one was responsive and helpful. I would stay there again but book room 7 or 8. We had room 5 and it had a hammock right outside our door which was sweet but no ocean view. We stayed off the tourist trap and got to see the Bahamas in a different way. A little more daring than I expected but once I became comfortable it went smoothly. We had to walk a distance to have dinner at Compass Point and was greeted by a neighborhood dog that terrified me. He barked at the beginning but once we made the attempt to pass he practically escorted us there. He grew on me quickly and I looked for him when ever we ventured down that amazing hill. You could cab it if you are not daring but bring extra cash. The local bus was cheap and efficient just try to hop on a nice one. We boarded one that felt borderline unsafe but we made it. Make change whenever you can. Be very careful if you walk around. Some areas don't have defined walkways and cars drive fast enough. I don't recall stop lights at all so you walk at your own risk.

I really enjoyed the B&B and it was what I expected but I would make a few minor changes or additions. They have a pool but I'm not sure how much care and attention goes into it. It would have been great to venture out to it but we didn't. I think they may need to wash the outdoor pillowcases once in awhile. Plenty of places to sit but I'm someone who always checks where I plant myself. The two on our balcony were a bit dirty and I took them off to sit. The furniture was perfect.. very Pier One, big and chunky. When I first walked into the room I smelled a slight odor of mold. On my second day, I glanced at the towel bar and I could clearly see the mold. Bathrooms that have a lot of wood tend to hold moisture over time. I asked the housekeeper to not place the towels there so we had fresh towels to use on the last day. They need new pillows, a bit too soft or maybe add another which may be a bit firmer. They really just needed a little more attention but it was fine and we would stay there again.

The B&B was very enjoyable and perfect for us, even though most thought we would stay at the any of the big resorts. We went for a Wedding which was held at Sandals. It was huge and over the top. Very beautiful but too many people. We preferred the quieter stay and then ventured out for our excitement. We were able to see it a bit more than average people. We went downtown and it felt all too touristy. Great for what it was but we wish we had the time to see the other Islands. It's a fact most people don't make it past Nassau. If we ever make it back we would make sure to see more of what the Bahamas has to offer.

Room Tip: Book 7 or 8 if you can.
Vancouver, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had no idea what to expect before we arrived at this charming plantation style inn. It was recommended and booked by our host on Cat Island so we knew it would be nice. It was such an amazing treat to land here after 15 hrs of flying. The service was perfect and the hospitality was first rate. Absolutely loved our well decorated and appointed room. Our stay was too short but it was perfect as a quiet stop over before our hop over to Cat Island. I highly recommend this charming property for those who just can deal with large crowded resort and looking for something near the airport.

Cedar Park, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I chose ASTA for our honeymoon because with everything going on up until the wedding - we needed to relax; we got that and a LOT more! Upon our arrival, the staff was very warm and greeted us with open arms and made it clear that our satisfaction was their goal. For the most part, our stay was exactly what we wanted: quiet, relaxing, and peaceful.

Pros: The ocean view rooms were WONDERFUL. The bed was nice and firm, but allowed you to be comfortable without much difficulty. We stayed on the 2nd floor in room #8 and we had an awesome view of the water and with a full moon, it made things even nicer...especially with a bottle of champagne on the canopy bed on your last night. If you visit, I'd highly recommend it over the garden view (nice, but come on - you're there to see the water at sunrise!) The food was pretty spot-on for what you'd expect to find in a nice restaurant, the chef really worked at what guests liked best and perfected each dish, portion-wise, taste, and texture. Dinner could be a bit pricey, but it's nothing outrageous like I've heard about Black Angus at the Wyndham Crystal Palace. I can't stop raving about the staff, even 2 weeks after returning. Collyn, the midday & evening waiter was very funny, recommending wine & food pairings with expert knowledge, and made it less about him serving us, but more like he was welcoming someone into his own home. Harriet REALLY does make a mean drink and is definitely a sweetheart with a heart of gold with a bit of sass in her, very matronly, and made it clear that she wanted to help our stay be a success. Hell, even Chris, the owner, offered to help and did help us down with our luggage while we left (be warned, it's a bit of a hike to the hotel itself from the street!)

Cons: I couldn't help shake the fact that there was a bit of an elitist feel to ASTA. I thought it was just me, but after we returned, my wife agreed. With the exception of my wife and I and another couple from the Texas also, most of the guests that were also at the B&B were from either Canada or Western Europe and were crazy rich - and wanted you to know it.

A few tips: Rent a car! The B&B is a bit out of the way (adding to the charm) and is much safer than a scooter - Bahamian drivers are pretty awful, cabs are overpriced, and it's relatively cheap to gas it up before you turn it in (I spent $30 on gas for a week's use).

Save your $ and don't bother with a guided snorkel tour (unless you're a weak swimmer), the B&B partners with the Nirvana Beach Club about 1KM west on W. Bay St. and they rent out anything you'd like (non-motorized). They charge a few bucks, but it's much less expensive than overcrowded beaches and tours.

You MUST hit the The Traveler's Rest just a block East of the B&B - the food is crazy good and inexpensive (best of all, they accept Credit Cards, unlike a lot of local places).

Chris, you and your staff gave us an unforgettable vacation and a wonderful experience. I've recommended ASTA to all of our friends and advised them to skip the mega-resorts to really get away. Nothing says relaxing like a half mile of private beach with only an employee, you, your wife, and the Atlantic Ocean at your whim. Your B&B is far enough from the bustle of downtown, but close enough to get a taste of the culture and the nightlife, almost like leaving the suburbs to visit the city, only to return to a quiet home. Thank you again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nassau, New Providence Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was looking for a place to spend a relaxed weekend and this was the best place I could have chosen. The property only has ten rooms and so there is no possibility of a crowd. The place is quiet and no part of the property - pool, terrace, dining area- is ever crowded. The staff is friendly and helpful and the view of the ocean amazing. The only downside is that their menu is limited, so if you are a foodie, you might be disappointed. Travelling with kids has taught us to always keep packed food available, so it didnt hurt us and we are quite open to all kinds of food. The complimentary breakfast was decent. Overall it was a weekend well spent and next time I will stay longer.

Room Tip: The oceans view room is the best if you are a couple but with family a suite is better
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

This guesthouse has amazing views and very comfortable, clean rooms. It is so close to the airport and offers a free lift there on the day of your departure. The only issue is that it is very isolated. While some people may prefer this, I would recommend staying somewhere closer to restaurants, grocery stores etc if visiting the Bahamas for more than one or two nights. The restaurant at compass point was amazing and an easy walk, however it was the only option available to us on our stay. Regardless, I would highly recommend this guesthouse in terms of everything else.

• Stayed December 2012
Ibiza
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have a house on the island but needed a first night place to stay as arrived fairly late at night. Because they could not get a twin room ready for us they gave us two wonderful top floor suites with big baths and walk in showers, huge comfortable beds and sea views. This place is far from the action of down town and paradise island but is all the better for it. Most hotels in Nassau are tasteless holiday standard fare, here it is a relaxing and homely stay and for those who prefer this style then there is not a lot to choose from on the island and this will more than do the job.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to A Stone's Throw Away? Share your experiences!