My wife and I chose ASTA for our honeymoon because with everything going on up until the wedding - we needed to relax; we got that and a LOT more! Upon our arrival, the staff was very warm and greeted us with open arms and made it clear that our satisfaction was their goal. For the most part, our stay was exactly what we wanted: quiet, relaxing, and peaceful.
Pros: The ocean view rooms were WONDERFUL. The bed was nice and firm, but allowed you to be comfortable without much difficulty. We stayed on the 2nd floor in room #8 and we had an awesome view of the water and with a full moon, it made things even nicer...especially with a bottle of champagne on the canopy bed on your last night. If you visit, I'd highly recommend it over the garden view (nice, but come on - you're there to see the water at sunrise!) The food was pretty spot-on for what you'd expect to find in a nice restaurant, the chef really worked at what guests liked best and perfected each dish, portion-wise, taste, and texture. Dinner could be a bit pricey, but it's nothing outrageous like I've heard about Black Angus at the Wyndham Crystal Palace. I can't stop raving about the staff, even 2 weeks after returning. Collyn, the midday & evening waiter was very funny, recommending wine & food pairings with expert knowledge, and made it less about him serving us, but more like he was welcoming someone into his own home. Harriet REALLY does make a mean drink and is definitely a sweetheart with a heart of gold with a bit of sass in her, very matronly, and made it clear that she wanted to help our stay be a success. Hell, even Chris, the owner, offered to help and did help us down with our luggage while we left (be warned, it's a bit of a hike to the hotel itself from the street!)
Cons: I couldn't help shake the fact that there was a bit of an elitist feel to ASTA. I thought it was just me, but after we returned, my wife agreed. With the exception of my wife and I and another couple from the Texas also, most of the guests that were also at the B&B were from either Canada or Western Europe and were crazy rich - and wanted you to know it.
A few tips: Rent a car! The B&B is a bit out of the way (adding to the charm) and is much safer than a scooter - Bahamian drivers are pretty awful, cabs are overpriced, and it's relatively cheap to gas it up before you turn it in (I spent $30 on gas for a week's use).
Save your $ and don't bother with a guided snorkel tour (unless you're a weak swimmer), the B&B partners with the Nirvana Beach Club about 1KM west on W. Bay St. and they rent out anything you'd like (non-motorized). They charge a few bucks, but it's much less expensive than overcrowded beaches and tours.
You MUST hit the The Traveler's Rest just a block East of the B&B - the food is crazy good and inexpensive (best of all, they accept Credit Cards, unlike a lot of local places).
Chris, you and your staff gave us an unforgettable vacation and a wonderful experience. I've recommended ASTA to all of our friends and advised them to skip the mega-resorts to really get away. Nothing says relaxing like a half mile of private beach with only an employee, you, your wife, and the Atlantic Ocean at your whim. Your B&B is far enough from the bustle of downtown, but close enough to get a taste of the culture and the nightlife, almost like leaving the suburbs to visit the city, only to return to a quiet home. Thank you again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the west end of New Providence lies an exquisite hideaway. A STONE'S THROW AWAY is perched on one of the highest elevations by the coast. Here our Guests can indulge in a rare panoramic view of Nassau 's land and sea. The scenery boasts the best of the island's natural wonders, from the native pine forest by Lake Killarney to the brim of the coral reefs that protect the glimmering beaches of west Nassau. The property was recently built to echo the traditions of an old Bahamian home: wood floors and wood ceilings, louvered shutters and a large wrap around porch bring the visitors back to a quieter time long ago when the music of the islands could be heard in the whispers of the trade winds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your A Stone's Throw Away reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- a Stone`s Throw Away Hotel Nassau
- A Stone's Throw Away Bahamas/Nassau