“A large room with historical artifacts” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 120 things to do in Nassau
Bethesda, Maryland
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“A large room with historical artifacts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I thought this visit was very informative and helpful to understand aspects of Bahamian culture not available to the average tourist. The Historical Society is housed in a large one room building with exhibits around the perimeter. Two women were 'manning' the desk when I visited. One of the docents was giving a detailed explanation to some guests.

Though there is no entrance fee, a donation is requested.

There were two screens illustrated in bright colors showing the history of the Bahamian islands from the Lucaya Indians until the 1950's when the American tourists showed up. The last illustration with the fat, white Americans made me laugh out loud; and the figures aren't even depicted as fat as we are now! Hahahaha! I posted some photos of these images.

I was also particularly interested in the examples of straw plaiting - it gives you some serious appreciation for the art. I was never impessed by the straw market, but now I will take a look with a better trained eye. I have never liked the gaudy colored material woven in to the bags or hats... But real straw weaving is very impressive. (The library has an even better example of the plaiting.)

I recommend a visit to those people/visitors who are curious beyond the jewelry shopping and water slides.

Visited February 2013