“Great relaxing vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Nassau Beach Resort

You added Melia Nassau Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Nassau Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Nassau, New Providence Island (Formerly Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino)   |
Special Offer
up to -15% MeliáRewards
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Nassau
Connecticut
“Great relaxing vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Maybe we just lucked out booking through Jet Blue, but we have a great, premium, ocean view room. Everything is new in the room. We do only have one chair on the balcony, but we are rarely in the room anyway. Plenty of food options. So far, Nikkei is our favorite, but the buffet offers so many different options, I can't imagine anyone not finding something they would like. The beach is so clean and every employee goes out of their way to greet you. It is the tourists that are rude, not the workers . We went on the dolphin encounters, which I highly recommend , and saw a tourist make a cashier visibly upset because she was given two Bahamian pennies rather than two American pennies. I could not believe the gall. Maybe these are the types of people leaving terrible reviews. I apologized to the cashier for this rude vacationer.
Our room is on the seventh floor not far from the quickest elevator ever! We have wifi in the room and on the beach.
I don't know if people are paid to write poor reviews or are in a part of the hotel that is not as nice? I almost canceled my travel plans after reading the reviews, but so glad I am here. We visited Atlantis one evening to walk through the Dig and gamble a little. It was nice to visit but so much nicer to be where we are. Atlantis felt very crowded and I would feel the need to dress up every night, which I would rather not do after a day in the sun.
So, all I can recommend is to ask for a room that is renovated, directly faces the ocean and don't believe the bad reviews unless you are the type to walk around with your head down who notices every little crack in the sidewalk on a tropical island.
Oh, we have had entertainment every night since we have been here, since Weds ( today is Sat) and always some fun around the main pool including exercise and games. All pools are open and gorgeous.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated, premium ocean view close to lobby.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We visited here on a Day Pass from a cruise earlier this month. Yes, I read MANY reviews on TA and even with some negatives we decided that the beach location for the day was the main reason why were going. We've done enough ship excursions in the past and like to venture out on our own now. We also didn't want the oft times overcrowded locals beaches especially during Spring Break time. If looking to stay at a hotel I would have looked elsewhere based on reviews. The #10 bus is still $1.25 each way and easy to use. The Day pass cost is $35 and whether or not it includes any non motorized toys seems to be a point of contention on TA but we did not look to use them anyway. We were helped by a pleasant woman at the front desk when purchasing the passes. The beach and pool area is very nice. The restrooms were clean and close by. We arrived just after 9am and plenty of chairs were still available in good spots. No umbrellas were though. We stayed till about 3pm. (The day pass is good from 9a to 5pm). Only a couple vendors walked by and they did not approach unless you sat up and made eye contact. The lunch is pricey for what you get. There were two separate grill stations set up around 11:30am. One had burgers and chicken sandwiches for $19 each and hotdogs for $14each. They came with some chips and a pickle. Not too expensive especially for a resort area but they were just so-so. Another grill had Paninis for about $12. We should have done those. I didn't see them at first. The beverages at the bar ranged from about $3.50 for a coke to $11 for beer and $14 for drinks. Service was slow in general. It is 'island time' but still slow and I was not in a hurry at all. Just relax and go with the flow and you'll be better for it. So for the 4 of us it was about $200 for the day. I have done much better in other places in the Caribbean but we wanted to give it a shot. Overall it was a nice day but nothing stood out except the beach area itself. As far as the reviews on TA for this place, there are a lot of people with just 1 review that seem to overwhelmingly rave about this place. While others with more established reviews have varying opinions to say the least. I always find it 'interesting' when 'brand new' people come on TA in droves to rave about a place that many others have had issues with. Sure there are times when newbies to TA are so excited that they jump on board to leave a review. But there are a lot of those for the Melia. It's just something to keep in mind as you do your own research. I cannot comment on anything about the hotel or restaurant experience as we did not stay here. But as stated, the beach was nice but a bit pricey for the day. Next time in Nassau we will try something else.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Currently at this resort. The dinner selection is quite nice. The steakhouse had the best filet we have ever had! Lunch options are slim but that is because their main outdoor restaurant is closed for renovations. We haven't seen anyone working on it though.

The rooms are in dire need of an upgrade and I hope that is part of the $19M renovation plans.

The beach is beautiful but if you are expecting to be waited on while sitting on it, you will not be unless you buy The Level. This resort does not have the same level of service resorts in Mexico do. We were used to being able to order chips and salsa at any point during previous trips but this resort doesn't appear to accommodate that. There is limited quantity of umbrellas and unfortunately people stake out the prime spots before 8am.

If the rooms were made more upscale, the lunch options were improved, and the beach offered more shade, then this would be a top contender.

I will say that after being to Cabo, DR, and Tulum this is the first place where the water was calm enough to swim in.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Aiken, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We spent a few hours here using a day pass. Beach was excellent - get here early for an umbrella - 1st come 1st served. Peaceful and relaxing. Took a taxi $15 one way $17 back although it should have been $15. VAT taxes extra at hotel Pass for one is $30, plus tax. We enjoyed it as we were on a cruise. But next time would walk from port to local beach which appeared to be very nice as well.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Brookfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The vacation as a whole was great. This is because of the weather, the people we met, and the staff and the food. I'll go through the pros then cons.

Cons first:
I was searching high and low for a hotel that was family oriented with a kids club. In the past two years we went to the Crowne Paradise in Cancun and that kids club was amazing. Trying to find something comparable might be hard but I tried! This hotel has a kids club but there were never any kids in there. There were a lot of kids at the hotel so I'm not sure why they didn't go to the kids club.the staff in there were so nice and my kids liked it for the few hours that they were in there. I think it needs to b advertised more throughout the resort and have the activities posted somewhere or announced at the pool or something!
Another con was the amount of activities at the main pool. Yes there were a couple of things posted in the outline of activities but for some reason they never did them at the pool. I don't know if this resort has an activities director but if not they need one!
Another con was the lack of nighttime activities. There was literally nothing to do.

Pros:
The food was amazing. So easy to eat healthy with good foods! The restaurants were ok. I never would say I prefer the buffet but in this resort, I did! Yum!
The bartenders were so nice too. As well as all of the staff. I personally had no problems with anything.
The beaches were so nice and the bus to go downtown was easy. (The people in the marketplace across the street were pushy and annoying just like anywhere else and if you go to the straw market downtown it is cheaper.)
The main pool was warm but the others were cold! Kids don't care but I did
I liked that all the pools were pretty shallow so that the kids can swim comfortably. (Mine are 6 and 7, average height)
Overall I had higher expectations for an all inclusive resort. My kids didn't mind the lack of activities they had a great time!
I'd def suggest paying the money and going to the dolphin encounters for the day!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I had stayed at this property 3 years ago when it was the Sheraton and I was, for the most part, very happy with my stay, again. The property has been renovated and the grounds are quite clean. Amenities are plentiful and the beach is as gorgeous as it was on my last stay. Granted my luggage spent more time in the room/on property than I did, I was a bit disappointed by some of the hotel services.
Everything is super slow. I know you're on Island Time when you go to the Caribbean but only to a certain extent. Upon checking in, the line to the front desk was long and I waited about 45 minutes only to get to the counter to find that the King Bed Room that I had reserved was not available. Trying to but me in a room with 2 double beds, I had my words with a young lady at the desk and she checked me into an uncleaned king room to reserve it but told me to come back in an hour to get the room key. Mind you, I had to wait on line again for another 30mins for that.
The ocean view room was wonderful, however shampoos and other soaps were not replenished regularly. In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal as I brought my own. Towels weren't replaced regularly either but for a 4 day stay, I didn't fuss. The phone systems were down one night which made trying to get in contact with anyone on the property a problem.
Check out is at 11am and my flight was at 530. I requested a late check out when I checked in but apparently, it's not something which is guaranteed. Call early in the morning you check out. It's a $25 per hour charge after 12pm, which I had no problem paying to be comfortable but should be made explicitly clear from the staff.
Other than that, I had no gripes. The rooms and common grounds were clean, the people were lovely and the location is close to everything making it easy to get around.
Overall, another great trip to the Bahamas. I will be back!

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We all went to Nikkei Restaurant for a friends birthday. None of us had ever been there before so we decided to try it out. All I can say is that we had an amazing time. The experience was great from start to finish. The food was excellent and the service was top notch!!! Our waiter Giovanni, was GREAT, has such a fabulous personality and really took the best care of us. Our Chef Theadore, was TOP NOTCH, his food was great, he entertained us from start to finish. I never write reviews, but I was so impressed and I cant wait to go again. Writing this review makes me so proud to be a Bahamian, I really felt welcome by everyone and it truly was a great experience. Great job Melia, I will be back.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Melia Nassau Beach Resort? Share your experiences!