“Beautiful grounds, non-friendly staff, nice beach, renovations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Nassau Beach Resort

You added Melia Nassau Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Nassau Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Nassau, New Providence Island (Formerly Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino)   |
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Nassau
Columbus, Ohio
“Beautiful grounds, non-friendly staff, nice beach, renovations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We visited this place on a day pass, coming from the cruise ship (so we only used the amenities and not the hotel rooms).

Check in was easy, but the staff at the desk was not friendly or smiling. They acted as if they didn't want us there, but we decided to stay anyhow.

It was a raining day (off and on) but we still made use of the pools. The pools were very nice with waterfalls, landscaping around them, grotto's, tunnels and caves. Very beautiful. However, every time we turned around the staff was yelling about walking or sitting at certain places around the pool area. We definitely felt "unwelcomed" when we were there with several glares from the staff. There was only a handful of people at the pool area because of the weather and we sat under an area by the pool with a roof. The staff stared at us like we were not supposed to be there, would whisper and then look back and stare. We were told not to walk on the rocks that is a walkway in the pool under the cave area, although we seen staff walking on it.

The HUGE hot tub located in front of the pool was about the only thing that we were able to use that day because of it being a little bit chilly. It was dirty and did have a lot of sand in it.

The grounds were under renovations and they have a huge wall dividing the pool area completely from the beach/ocean area. We did not hear them doing any work that day and they appeared to be busy painting the wall blue that they put up with some mural instead of working on what was behind the wall to get it done. In order to get out to the beach, you had to walk all the way down to the end of the furthest building and out. Then that was the only way in. It may be finished now, I'm not sure.

The pool at the end had several cleaning hoses in it and was unusable. The hot tub in that area was ice cold and unusable as well.

The grounds concrete sidewalks were in need of repair with a lot of it flaking and coming apart. I'm not sure if this is on their list of "things to repair" during the renovations.

The beach was nice and the sand was raked clear, however we couldn't use the beach because we were told the waves were too high to go out in the water that day. Not the fault of the resort of course.

There are conveniently located bathrooms by the pool and they were clean.

The day passes did not include any food or drinks and before going here, we were told they had a food stand to purchase meals. There were not any open the day we were there and finally had to leave in order to go eat. If we wanted soda's, we had to take the elevator back up to the 2nd/main floor and purchase it from a vending machine.

The place did have free wifi and it did reach out by the pools.

All in all, the place was beautiful and has a lot of potential. However, for the amount of money they charge for a day pass and not including any food or drinks and no way to get any, I'm not sure I would return again. The unfriendly staff and stares making us feel uncomfortable would also be another factor in not returning.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

very nice hotel with friendly, helpful staff. the beach area is amazing! lots of seating & the beach was raked daily. Music was kept in the background which made for a happy experience at pool/beach. The resort just needs to reface/acid wash pools (staining), fix the hot tubs as both were shut down! good quality for our money, the food was amazing! we stayed as all inclusive

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Melia hotel is a decent place to stay. The hotel has undergone renovations which gives the place a nice modern updated look--especially the main lobby and common areas. I was OK with my room except for the bathroom was a little dingy and many of my towels were dingy with spots in them--which is a little gross. The hotel cleaning service did an OK job with turnover service daily except they were stingy with towels (I had to ask for face towels more than once during the stay). The outdoor pool area, bar, and beach is very nice. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. If you are not purchasing the all inclusive package, the food and drinks are VERY expensive (example: hamburgers by the pool are $19). If you don't have the all inclusive package, go eat at the Daiquiri Shack across the street! The food tastes MUCH better for a fraction of the price. Plus the drinks are much better over there anyway. Also, the entire Melia is on automatic gratuity which some people may like.

Overall, the Melia is an average place and I will likely try somewhere else on my next visit. It feels much more like just another hotel rather than a resort!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I would like to start by saying I read previous reviews on this property and after booking my trip to the Bahamas staying at the Melia I contemplated on going..but I ignored the reviews, and I don't regret it. The Melia Nassau Resort is a really nice resort under rated for sure. It's a beautiful resort, I stayed there with the all-inclusive package best way to go.I went with friends and family, the food was great. they had plenty of entertainment I went in july 4th 2014, and they had a fireworks show at the beach. which was amazing. the staff is excellent. The rooms may be a walk, but to me it wasn't a big deal..the beach is by far the clearest I have seen...is beautiful...the bahamas is just great...If you are thinking about the Melia as a choice this is a great one.

Room Tip: The wifi connection is in the lobby.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My friends and I have visited this hotel approx 6 times in the past 1 year and I would just say we had a wonderful time. The service was great, I give 5 star to Stacey Balfour for the tremendous services that I received.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I read lots of reviews of the Melia after I booked it. There were quite a few that were negative, but equally as many that were positive. So I went there with no expectations except to enjoy getting away from the cold!

The place is beautiful both inside and out! Everything seemed to be very clean and kept up. (yes, there were probably areas that needed a touch up but overall very nice)

My husband is normal one who refuses to go to a buffet so I was a bit concerned but it was so good, there were days we ate all three meals there!

The staff was very friendly and willing to help or answer questions when we had them. The pool was chilly but considering we left Chicago at -8 and it's January we were happy just to be away from the cold!

We didn't interact with other visitors but just did a little people watching. There were two ladies who returned their mimosas were too sweet, and another gentleman who returned his drink because it was served in the "wrong kind of glass" ---- So I'm guessing that the people who nit pick this resort about the appearance, service, etc are those who are full of themselves and expect to be treated like the royalty they're not... But for this family of 4 (had our 18 and 20 yr old children with us) from the midwest who were looking for a nice getaway and to escape from the cold - the place was great!

We've been to beaches on the east and west coast, Jamaica, Puerto Vallarta, and Florida --- This beach was beautiful, people were friendly and we definitely plan to go back to the Bahamas again!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My wife and I spent a day at the Melia during a cruise stop in Nassau. We were looking for a nice, reasonably priced beach to spend a relaxing day. We were fortunate in that construction was not being done the day we visited (December 31st) and the main swim-up pool was open. The other two pools while open and very nice looking were unusable because they were very cold. For $35 each we had access to the beach, lounge chairs, pools, WiFi, and snorkel gear. We were disappointed to be told that two days prior they had taken out the non-motorized water sport rentals as a part of the day pass and instead we would have had to pay $30 each for 30 minutes even though we had an email confirming the day pass inclusion from the resort a week prior. It very much felt like the resort was looking for any way to make an extra buck and changing rules and restrictions daily. Despite the disappointment on the day pass change, we enjoyed our day and would recommend the day pass for families and couples alike (don’t know that I would want to spend more than a day though).

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Melia Nassau Beach Resort? Share your experiences!