“Bad.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Nassau Beach Resort

You added Melia Nassau Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Nassau Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Nassau, New Providence Island (Formerly Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino)   |
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Bad.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

In my opinion, this does not qualify as a four star hotel, yet. It will be when the construction is done. But don't come here expecting four star anenities or four star treatment from staff. You will be disappointed. If you lower your expectations it might feel better. Currently I have found is no food or drinks available at the beach. Actually no food available even within view of the beach due to the 10 foot walls hiding the construction. I think the work in progress looks great. But I doubt it will be complete for several months or a year. If you stay here wait until the construction is complete. No wifi on the top floors. My food is awful. Pros - great beach. The place is very clean. Has big big potential. Price is competitive for the area.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed here one day before making our way to Atlantis. We were given a room with better than expected view. We found locker not working and had to call in to repair. Then we found it was extremely cold and they sent a technician who found it was broken. We were also told if we were cold just turn it off and thats the best you can do as there is no heating. My feeling was on our side of hallway was extremely cold as there were workers working right in front of our room and they kept it extremely cold in the hallway while other side of the hallway was warm. So even though AC was off in our room, extremely cold air was making it in our room from the hallway. The workers were working until midnight. As far as I could tell I did not see any security cameras on our floor and that also made us somewhat nervous with so many outside workers working on it. Also, we were charged $40 resort fee. Not sure for what. We were told that we would not be able to use non motorized vehicle due to choppy water. However, I would interior of room was satisfactory.

Room Tip: free wifi in the lobby
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Hyattsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

So my husband and I visited the Melia on Dec 13th for 4days. We enjoyed our stay. Before going to the Melia I had read so many good and bad reviews and all the negativity about the construction going on. We were not bothered with it at all. We didn't hear any loud noise to that point. I will definitely stay at the Melia on my next trip next year. The only issue is the WiFi in the rooms. It works better in the lobby. But who really cares about a phone while on vacation. They have the best lobby also. And Aqua restaurant is great and affordable. The buffet cost $39 and so much food choices

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

The servers Monique and Monique were great, food experience excellent, best vacation ever. The buffet was five star. Restaurant s were excellent. Beach was excellent, staff was excellent, special thanks to margaret at the lounge.
Everyone was friendly and great. Thanks we will be back.

• Stayed December 2014
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I booked into the Melia because it's a sponsor of The Bahamas International Film Festival (a wonderful event, by the way, that I would urge everyone to attend, just book alternate accommodation!). We were incredibly disappointed in this place. First of all, it's under renovation (December 2014) and there is no way to escape the sound of buzz saws, nail guns, hammering and workmen shouting back and forth whether you are in your room, in the lounge (the only place in the entire hotel with wi-fi), or even on the beach. If you've booked for Christmas vacation 2014 you should definitely reconsider! Relaxing, it is NOT. And something else is going on behind the scenes because the staff are all grim. No one looks happy except for a rare perky staff member. Made us wonder what management must be like....
Our first night there, we threw our patio doors open to hear the sounds of the ocean waves as we drifted off to sleep. Paradise right? Well.... we were wakened by buzz saws, nail guns, hammering and workmen shouting back and forth. We decided to chill tho, we're in paradise so 'everyting cool'. After 3 days of construction noise in our room, in the lobby, and on the beach we couldn't say 'everyting cool' anymore and asked to be moved. The young woman at the front desk listened to our story as if she couldn't care less and offered us the key to ONE other room that we could look at. Exactly the same noise problem. When we returned the key and told her this she shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, I tried, right?" There was nothing she would offer to compensate for this extremely dissatisfying accommodation experience.
On check-out we voiced our concerns again and again suggested that there should be some sort of compensation for holidaying in a construction zone. Particularly when 40.00 US was added to the room rate as a "resort fee". With the headache-inducing drills & buzz saws everywhere, there was no enjoyment of the resort, so it was pretty insulting that they slapped a resort fee on top! The woman who checked us out assured us emphatically that someone would be in touch with us within 48 hours to hear our concerns and discuss some kind of compensation. Can you guess what happened? Right. Nothing.
In addition to the annoying noise, the food is incredibly overpriced and mediocre-tasting at best. There is no wi-fi in the rooms and guests are huddled around their phones and various devices in the lounge (even beer shacks on the beach have wi-fi!!)
While the Melia was a terrible experience, we loved Nassau. The Melia has you a bit captive as it's a few miles at least to downtown and is a $20 cab ride each way, but daily we took public transit and ate at local restaurants and experienced as much of the real flavor of the island that we could. We'll definitely be back, especially for the Bahamas International Film Festival, but we will not book at the Melia. While the construction noise will likely be over next time, the attitude of management and their unwillingness to do anything to compensate us will no doubt remain the same.

Room Tip: During this renovation phase there are no good rooms. The hotel is in a U shape around the pools and...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was my first solo trip to the Bahamas and will not be my last.
I stayed at the Melia Beach Resort on Cable Beach. Yes, a few areas of the resort are still under construction, however the only time I really noticed it was when I walked right beside it. There was very little to be finished on the four new restaurants, which was only being done during the day as all the restaurants are open at night. The main pool and swim up bar is closed, however for those of you who prefer a pool to the ocean, there are two more nice pools to choose from. (Personally I will never set foot in a swim up bar pool , yuck.. People seem to think other people don't notice they haven't left that pool for hours , a disease looking for a place to happen...good luck to those who enjoy the pea pools...) All in all the disruptions from the construction were extremely minimal.

The employees at the Melia are exceptional... As I mentioned this was a solo trip. From check in to check out, everyone was spectacular. When dinning or relaxing in the resort waiters and bartenders were very polite and focused on ensuring my stay was comfortable and all my needs were met. The beach service was never more then 10-15 minutes. Yes, some previous trip advisor reviews mentioned long waits, but really, 15 minutes.. ??? If you realized how far they had to go to get you a drink or food, you would stop your complaining.. They would come back before my last drink was finished and I would order another one. I didn't seem to be without a cold beverage for long.. All the employees at the Melia were very friendly and always seemed to have smiles on their faces.. They were very helpful in means of suggesting town venues to visit and transportation to get there. ( the local bus is a great means of transportation.. No worries about feeling unsafe)

My room was a bit worn but always clean and comfortable. The maids were friendly and made sure if you needed something it was taken care of quickly. No complaints there... Apparently they will all be redone eventually..

All in all I really enjoyed my stay at the Melia and will definitely return.. As a single person I felt very welcome and safe at the Melia.. Thank you all for the great experience..

Room Tip: I had an ocean view on the fourth floor. I really enjoyed it. I could see the ocean and watch the cr...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our stay at Melia was delightful. The three restaurants upstairs were fantastic, and the service was even better. We had two servers that particularly stood out - Benjamin at Nikkei, and Antonio at Black
Angus. The 15% gratuity hardly seemed enough for the stellar service these guys provided. They were both so
accommodating, outgoing, and professional....kudos
guys!! The only place that lacked (to me, anyway) was Estevida, the Tapas Lounge. The food is more so bar food than tapas. Both times we ate there we had slow and not super friendly service. I was so impressed overall with the staff, most everyone that we encountered went out of their way to offer suggestions and make sure we were comfortable and well taken care of. Rooms were very clean, as was the beach and property. The casino that everyone seems to complain about is not affiliated with the Melia,as far as I'm aware. It is part of the closed Wyndham resort that is housing the Baha Mar construction workers. If you do venture out of the resort for meals, be sure to try Oh Andros! It was FANTASTIC!!
Thank you Melia for a truly wonderful experience!

• Stayed December 2014

Been to Melia Nassau Beach Resort? Share your experiences!