“Should be better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Nassau Beach Resort

You added Melia Nassau Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Nassau Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Nassau, New Providence Island (Formerly Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino)   |
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
“Should be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at the melia for 8 nights. Beach is lovely,rooms are nice and clean, we were on the first floor with pool as soon as we walked out however there was no water in the pool until our last day! Renovation going on which we knew about wasn't too bad some days but some days you just wanted peace and quiet! Service very slow at beach bar, food and drinks very expensive and food poor quality very tasteless! Restaurant at the pool is awful, as soon as your food arrives the flies come swarming landing on your food it was disgusting! Most of the staff were very nice.
Our last night after we went to bed around 12.45 the noise from the pool bar was terrible, my husband phoned and asked what time it closed he was told it should have closed at 11pm she said she would send someone to Look into it, however the noise was still going on at 2.30am. we asked if the hotel had a room we could use to shower as we had a late night flight and wanted to freshen up after being at the beach all day, we were told that was not the hotels policy! Never had that before! Just got the feeling melia are only interested in getting your money then don't care about their guests! We certainly won't be returning!

• Stayed November 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Aberdeen, South Dakota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The very first thing I can say is that we probably wont go to a hotel that isn't completely all inclusive again, not that it was a huge deal to have to sign the receipts after every drink or not having free room service but its just easier to not worry about any of that if you are paying for all inclusive.

My next thought is that the management could use some better training. There were a lot of employees that made it seem like such a chore to help us. They do not give you a map, explain any of the restaurants to you, or show you where your room is in anyway when you check in. After getting lost on our way to our room on the first day I asked the concierge if they had a map I could have and she pointed out one on the wall which wasn't very helpful. I also emailed before our trip and asked if we could get our room next to or close to the other 2 couples we were traveling with but when we arrived the 3 rooms could not have been more far apart, which I could have over looked if the hotel was anywhere close to full but it wasn't.

And it sometimes took an act of God to get a drink at the pool bar, at times they seemed so busy but there was always one manager more or less just walking around. One time in particular I felt like I had waited about 5 min and finally made eye contact with the manager just wandering around behind the bar I asked her for a beer and she just said ok I'll have one of the bar tenders get it for you, well all the bar tenders were really busy so it was still at least another 2 min before I got my drink.

The food at the resort all tasted very good I don't think we had anything we didn't like, but trying to figure out what was open when was a chore. The 1 restaurant was good in the morning for breakfast and at night, we really enjoyed those. One of the nights we were there we had planned to eat at the outdoor buffet but for whatever reason (we think it was due to a wedding) it wasn't open that night so we then decided on food from the pool bar but that also wasn't open so the bar tender, Gino, said he would go get us food from the bar inside. Gino was the absolute best! He was one of the few employees that seemed to actually like his job and interacting with us. There were a few other good ones too but it was hard to remember their names as they were never in the same location 2 days in a row.

The beach was my favorite part of the resort. The sand was beautiful, there were plenty of chairs and space for everyone. We enjoyed playing volleyball and just relaxing. The waitresses to the beach were few and far between but once you had one if you told her to come back with another round 10 min you could usually get a drink in a timely fashion.

Over all I think the resort has a lot of potential, especially after the construction is done, I just think that the service could have been better.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed here the first week in June. The room was nice. We paid for a pool view which is also ocean view. Maid service was good and the food at the buffet was very good. They only have one other restaurant. The beach is very nice and the snorkeling off the beach is good. Here's the bad. They sell day passes to the locals and cruise ship people. Some of the locals are not very well behaved. We arrived on a Sunday and the beach was full of drunken locals . The buffet restaurant is also open to local people. We saw wedding receptions, birthdays, graduations etc. When the beach bar closes the only other bar is the lobby bar. Given the size of the resort it was very small This is also open to the public. Most evenings it's full of local women. This is something the local authorities should look at. It could take a half hour or more to get served. We drove through downtown Nassau and much of it looks like a ghetto. I am glad I went but I'll never go back.

Room Tip: If you pay for an pool view room you'll also get ocean view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear johnsjr51,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach. I am happy to know that you enjoyed our friendly associates and restaurants. I do apologize for any inconveniences caused due to the issues you had mentioned and I will share them with my team for discussion and improvement.
Thank you for sharing you experience with us and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This resort has a great beach and is located next to the Baha Mar still under construction which is supposed to rival Atlantis hotel and casino. The pool bar here is small and the exterior of the hotel could use a fresh coat of paint. There is a Starbucks and great restaurant onsite as well as a casino which is a plus. Paradise island is a $30 cab ride away and downtown is about a $20 cab ride or $1.50 on bus 10. In retrospect, hopefully the changes about the location will spark a face lift to this hotel as well.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Zuzana B,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach.
I am disappointed to know that we were unable to meet your expectations for your stay.
We are currently undergoing renovations which I am sure upon completion will change your review. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again to provide you with the vacation you deserve.

Vail, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My fiance' and I stayed 7 nights. All in all the hotel is nice, it is older and showing some wear and tear, but to give them credit, they are doing a massive renovation, and obviously trying to update it.

Room was clean . Unfortunately neither the sink or bath drained well..and plumbing is noisy! We were on the 7th floor and a long walk from the elevator..but the view was wonderful! .Might be more convenient if they could add outside elevators on the ends where the staircases are while they are renovating, but the walk was good exercise!.

Food was good, except the outside buffet, where the fly's were everywhere, the servers tried their best to keep them off the food, but weren't always successful. The Aqua was nice, but due to the renovation, it was the only restaurant on the property. It got pretty boring after a few days. Both the Breakfast buffet (inside) and dinners were very good...
The all inclusive is the only way to go unless you want to go into town for your meals. Taxi is $15 -$20 each way. Food would be very expensive if you were not using all inclusive. The drinks were plentiful and the beach service was fun. Beach was lovely and well kept. Plenty of chairs. There are two pools, but they closed one of them two days before the end of our visit,.

The bigger pool was freezing...never saw anybody go in it . There is no nightlife except for the casino, no bands, no dancing, not much to do unless you go to Nassau or Paradise Island, again the taxis can get expensive.

No internet in rooms and a refrigerator would have been appreciated, but not a big deal.. There is a safe which was nice.

The people were helpful and friendly for the most part. The only exception would be the concierge on Sat...she was bored and not inclined to be helpful to us or any of the folks ahead of us.

We felt we got good value for the money,no unexpected charges when we checked out . Would definitely go back again, but I think we'll wait until renovations are complete!

Room Tip: Higher floors equal better views, but some are a long walk from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Connee D,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your Bahamas vacation.
I am glad you found our associates to be friendly and that you enjoyed our restaurants and beach. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and I will be sure to share your comments with my team.

We are excited about the completion of our renovations which will bring many upgrades and additions to our resort. We look forward to welcoming you again soon and providing you with the vacation you deserve.

Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed here for a few nights on a business trip. Usually I stay at the Hilton in downtown Nassau but my client was closer to the Melia. Although the hotel was overall fine, this hotel is more destined for the leisure traveler. That in itself is not an issue, but my review if based on business travel perspective.

The overall hotel is somewhat outdated and in need of some TLC, but work is ongoing so that may change. The rooms were fine and clean.

For iPad/tablet users, an important note. There is no WiFi in the rooms ; only a "hard wired" connection. So if you don't travel with a laptop, your internet access will have to be in the reception area or some other public areas of the hotel. The WiFi in public areas and room hard wired connections are free which is great. I did not have any speed issues.

I was on a low floor ; view was not great, so if you can get a high floor i'd recommend that.
If you like to have having a fridge in your room, be aware that there are none, but that you can get one for 10$/day. A bit steep but can be useful for some people.

I cant comment on the beach or the overall facilities since I did not use them at all. As many have mentioned, there is a 40$/day resort fee. Complete waste for me. That being said, I guess you just have to factor in the 40$ fee into the overall room cost when comparing with other properties. For me, I did not see any advantages of the resort fee since I was only there to sleep.

So my overall conclusion on the Melia is that its fine, but business travelers should shop around and stay here when the price is right.

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Dear Roombaguy,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your business trip.
I am do apologize if we were not able to meet your needs for your business stay.
You will be happy to know that we will have wifi internet throughout the property and in guest rooms in the coming months. Our renovations will soon be complete and I think this will resolve many of the concerns you had mentioned.

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back so that you can enjoy the resort and all of its amenities.

Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We are just home from our week vacation at Meila Nassau. Resort under construction & only 1 restaurant open, it did get a little old after the week. Saying that the Italian restaurant had great service & pretty good food which we ate 6 out of 7 nights. Lunch was another story, we called it the "Fly" buffet, it was an outside buffet /restaurant near the pool, the food was cooked in a tent near by & I have never in my life seen so many flies on food & flying around. It was disgusting, I am not sure how it was allowed, maybe no health board to monitor ? We resorted to grilled cheese sandwiches delivered to us on the beach. Most days they held private luncheons in the only restaurant. I am sure when the renovations are done this situation will be corrected, but not sure when that will be, completion date looks to be in the distant future. The resort is old & worn, they are busy updating it, but lots of work still to be done. Our room was an oceanview that had been updated, view was nice, bed was comfortable & room cleaning was prompt & efficient.(furniture was showing wear). No refrigerator in room! The beach is very nice,( we have been to many) & really liked the clear water & loved the long daily walks. Lots of new beach chairs arrived & that was great as it was never a problem getting a chair. Only 1 pool was open & some of our group
tried it but felt is was dirty. Only had entertainment 1 out of 7 nights, a talented gentleman who played a keyboard & sang. Casino almost a ghost town & we found the machines to be extremely tight. Our biggest beef during our stay was having to sign a bill for every drink we drank & for all food eaten, we even had to sign a bill for 2 half pickles they forgot to put on our bill! We had an all inclusive package, read it carefully, as several things are not in the "plan".The food & drink is expensive at this resort so I would recommend only going all inclusive. A suggestion for the resort, move your outside beach shower out of the sand & onto the cement patio so that we can wash the sand off & it will stay off,( that had to be the dumbest thing I have seen). Would we go back, not sure!

Room Tip: Oceanview room in the 8th or 9th floor probably the best.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Molly B,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share your comments with us I do apologize for the disappointments with your stay. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again so that we can give you the vacation you deserve.

Andrew Tilley,

Been to Melia Nassau Beach Resort? Share your experiences!