“In life, you never get a second chance to make a first good impression..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Nassau Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Melia Nassau Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Nassau Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Nassau, New Providence Island (Formerly Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino)   |
Ranked #10 of 33 hotels in Nassau
Quebec City
“In life, you never get a second chance to make a first good impression..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

If you are like me, the first impression you have about a place or people tends to colour every subsequent experiences or interactions you will have with these people or places. This applies to hotels as well. Last year, we travelled to the Bahamas for the first time and fell in love with its beautiful beaches and the very friendly Bahamians. At the time, we stayed in another resort which I will not name here but our experience was great overall. With this experience in mind, we decided to spend 10 days of our 14 day-summer vacation in the Bahamas at the Melia Nassau Beach. We took our young daugther with us, who was quite excited about the trip, which she loved and enjoyed a lot.

A few words about me and my husband: we travelled around the world: Europe, Africa, Australia, America, all over Canada, and visited over half of the Carribean. We are not picky people, are pretty understanding and know that things will not be like home when you travel to a different country - that is the very reason why we travel - to see and experience different things, culture, and meet new people. However, like anyone else, we do have minimal expectations, especially when we pay a good chunk of $$ for our vacation.

Now my review of our experience at the Melia:

The Excellent: Waiting staff at the different restaurants. They are very friendly, pleasant, and want you to enjoy your meal and time at the restaurant. Kendrick, at Aqua, has to be particularly commended for his great attitude, his very pleasant manners, and for his obvious love of his job. Everyone was great with our daughter. The Beach: lovely beach, white sand and quiet - note to some travellers: please put your trash in the garbage bins and behave as though it was your backyard. Walking on a beer cap or on glass is no fun for anyone.

The Very good: Housekeeping staff. They are friendly and do a very good job at keeping the room clean. Our housekeeper was Shelly, who was nice and kept our room very clean for our whole stay. The food: All three opened restaurants (one was being renovated) had a great variety of food and we were never disapointed by it.

The Good: The pools. They are big, have nice waterfalls, and are surrounded by really nice flowers and vegetation. The pool near the West wing is particularly great for young children as it is shallow all over. The overall look of the room: It was nicely decorated, was big enough for our family and had a nice outdoor space where we could relax and eat. Important note: we were on the ground floor. This is not the case for the upper floors, which have a tiny, if not useless outdoor space. Our friends had an upper floor room, this is how we know.

The Bad:
a) Overall appearance of the hotel. The building needs significant renovations, so do the pools. The pool cleanliness. While I understand that people go into the pools with lots of sunscreen on them, it was the first time I experienced a resort that was struggling that much with keeping the pool water clean. Only once did I see someone cleaning the pool during the day. Some improvements needed here.
b) The check-in process: is very long and tideous (over 30 minutes which seem like hours with a tired toddler), and to top it off, our room was not ready when we arrived at the hotel. Yes, check in time is 3pm. But, when you travel with a young child, and pay an extra 18$ a day to get a room in the Kids and co area, well, one would think that the least they can do is to make sure that rooms are available for families arriving earlier than 3 pm. We had left home at 3:30am and arrived in Nassau at noon. Our daughter was tired and getting irritable, so it would have been nice to be able to get our room and relax. That was not the case, unfortunately. Check-in process is your first experience with the hotel - it has to be smooth and efficient. It was nothing but that.

...and the Ugly: The Extras. There is a 40$ charge per day, not included in the price we had paid. While we were warned about it, I am failing to understand why. The extra charge to get a refrigerator in our room - 100$. Why in the world can't a fridge just be included in each room, like in all other resorts, is beyond me, particularly when you are in the Kids and co level. That being said, we made the right decision to ask for one as we saved significantly by going grocery shopping and eating all of our breakfasts and several lunches in our room. The 18$ extra per day to be in the Kids and co level. Not worth it, unless you are willing to leave your children with the kids entertaining service. We were not, and I thought that there would be snacks available for kids, as per the website, but everytime I went, the mini fridge was empty and could have used a little clean up. I went twice, then did not bother again. Disapointing. However, the patio that comes with a room on the ground floor is great. Not sure it is worth an extra of 18$ a day. As well, if we had wanted to get a king size bed and a roll away bed for our daugther, it would have been an extra 25$ per day. This one we refused and took the "free" double beds room.

The room, upon arrival. Had no towels and we had to request them. They did deliver them, an hour after we requested them. The carpet was soaked near the air conditioning. We asked to get another room, as I was wondering about the smell and potential molds. We were told that they would be looking into it. After two follow up phone calls and having my husband stay in the room until 6:30pm in order not to miss their call, we gave up. No one ever followed up on our request, not even to get back to us and say that they could not accomodate our request for xyz reason but would do abc to help with the situation. This would have been acceptable to me. At least I could have seen an attempt at satisfying my needs and concerns. None of this happened. I have to say thought that they did send someone to repair the air conditioning, which was leaking on the carpet. We dried it ourselves with a hair dryer.

Bath towels: throughout the course of our stay, it was either they were not replaced and we had to request them, only to get them once we would all have taken a shower without towels, or that, when we figured we would keep them but have some of them replaced every two days, these were never replaced, particularly the hand towels and wash cloths. We were even told once that no towels were available. It was 4pm.

The check out process: again, long and tideous (20 minutes). Our bill was not complete, and there were weird charges and credits on it that even the person at the check out counter did not understand. Well, that is not reassuring and no one wants to get overcharged, especially not when you are staying at the "extras paradise". Needless to say that this did not help with our overall experience of the hotel.

One thing I wish I would have known before booking: that the hotel will be undergoing significant renovations to fit with the standards of the new Baha Mar resort, scheduled to open next year. Some renos have already begun in some areas which were closed during our stay.

Final word: if you are planning a trip for next year, wait until the Baha Mar Resort is opened and then book the Melia - the Melia will be part of this huge complex of hotels and will have to be significantly renovated to meet the Baha Mar standards, which will likely make it a nice hotel once that is done. If you are planning a trip for the coming months, I would recommend to refrain from going to the Melia and choose a different place if possible. However, I want to reiterate that my impression of the Bahamas is unchanged - it is a great country, with beautiful beaches, the sea is warm and calm, and Bahamians are very friendly. It is a perfect island for families as well. Where you stay and spend most of your travel budget does matter, however.

This is the first time that I make such a recommendation about a hotel - however, my first impression of the hotel did colour my entire stay at the Melia and so did it colour my review of it. I feel sorry for the staff who are working hard at pleasing the guests - but right now, they are not being given the means to do their job as well as they are certainly capable of.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

874 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My first trip to Bahamas was great overall. Melia is okay with great attitude from the staff. There were a few problems such as my room key not working and room not getting cleaned since being out of the room for 8 hours with "clean room" sign on doorknob. Food for 2 overpriced. $50 for breakfast, $60 for lunch and $75 for dinner. Eat outside it will be cheaper.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The hotel has a few things that can be annoying, like long line ups to check in but one VERY annoying thing before I go on is that check out is 11 or 12 and sometimes one's flight is late at night and they provide NO SHOWERS!!! Now I have traveled quite extensively throughout the world and I am no DIVA, however, at a resort on the beach, with sand, sunscreen, and salt water to have no way to wash this off and be told that one can 'freshen' up in the restroom is quite absurd. If this is not problem, then as you were. The beach is right there..no need for golf carts or a long walk. The staff is super friendly and amazing. For example the housekeeping staff is phenomenal. Anything you needed was there for you. Whomever is in charge of housekeeping is doing a great job! Also service on the beach. I met a young man named Anson (Johnson) I believe was his last name, great service with a smile and very friendly. The Bahamas is an incredible country and place to visit. I would go back to this hotel, provided I can get late check out.

Room Tip: ocean view is gorgeous!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Let's make it clear - the Melia is not the Atlantis. To compare them would be as reasonable as comparing apples and oranges. The Melia is a solid 4 star hotel, but it is not a 5 star, all glitz/glamor Ritz Carlton-y style resort. That being said, the Melia is an amazing deal for the money, offers solid amenities and has an incredibly accommodating, friendly staff. My boyfriend and I stayed there in early July 2014 under the all inclusive plan.

The beach area is beautiful. They really do have a great stretch of beach that offers snorkeling opportunities and space to just swim around. We never had a problem finding a pool or beach chair, and the staff worked hard to keep the areas as trash free as possible. There are multiple pools, and we never felt crowded by too many other guests.

All inclusive is the only way to go - it's a phenomenal deal for the delicious food and drinks offered. The buffet was the best, so many different food offerings that change nightly, so you're not getting worn out on the exact same items. The bartenders stay busy, so don't expect snap your fingers immediate service, but they still work hard to get you your drinks quickly, and they taste delicious.

The rooms are not incredibly fancy, but they were nicely decorated and cleanly maintained. We also had a great view of the whole pool area and part of the beach, which made it even better.

The keyboardist/singer who plays in the main lobby bar in the evenings rocks - I can't remember his name, but he is so talented, and is worth stopping in to listen to.

All in all, we could not have asked for a better vacation that came out to less than $800 a person for airfare, food, drinks, and lodging for 5 days, 4 nights.

Thanks, Melia, and we hope to stay with you guys in the future!

Room Tip: Ask to be on a higher floor - better views!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Melia Nassau has alot going for them. For a resort that has recently changed hands and is in the process of updating we had a great time. Below i have commented on each section of the resort.

Service: The customer service we received was great in all the restaurants, bars, and beach areas. The beach waitress' were prompt and made sure who had more than you needed. The bar staff was alittle slow, but we didn't have a problem ordering two drinks at a time. The front desk agents looked alittle overwhelmed and clearly needed more training. We only had to visit them twice during our stay so it was not too bad.

Food: Some good meals and some bad, but overall is was good food. For breakfast we ate at the buffet everyday. They had the typical breakfast assortment including a made to order egg/omelette station. For lunch we ate on the beach everyday. The lunch menu had quite a few options on it and was really good for prepared food. As for dinner we ate at the Italian restaurant twice, which was extremely good. We also ate at the buffet for dinner once, which was a decent buffet as we are not buffet goers. The other two nights they had BBQ's at the pool. It was a nice surprise to have the BBQ at the pool and the food was good, lots of options at the BBQ.

Room: Nothing to rave about at all. The balcony was awesome and had a great views of both the pools and the beach. The resort is being re-done so I would assume the rooms would be upgraded. We did not spend alot of time in our room so it was not a problem with us. If you go there expecting the rooms to be extravagant I could see some disappointment.

Beach/Pool: WOW!!WOW!!WOW!! The water and the beach were just amazing. This resort has an excellent beach location. They offer free paddle boards, snorkels, and kayaks. There were some local's selling t-shirts and bracelets, but they did not walk the beach or bother you. They had two volleyball courts which were in great condition, we played everyday. The beach was raked everyday as well so it was nice and clean. They have four very large pools, one of which has a swim up bar. All pools were clean, but needed a little work.

Overall this was a great trip and we had great weather. I would be inclined to return to see what Melia has done to make this an even better resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room, great views.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Firstly, the check in is understaffed so anytime I needed something from the front desk I waited exponentially longer than necessary. Even if I had a question I waited excessively. Secondly, My room phone went out on the first second night of my trip and I had no phone access. This was really problematic because I had other friends that I could not contact from the room. On my first night I lost my cell phone and I had calls to the room. Unfortunately, my fiends did not leave a number. The hotel had no way for me to see the numbers I had called earlier or to tell me the numbers of the people that had call me therefore I was stuck for the night. The hotel had no business center so I could not even access a computer to contact my friends via the web. On a happier note. The restaurant was really good. The people were really nice. More of a management issue seemingly than an execution issue by the staff. Had an ocean view which was nice. Notwithstanding the good aspects of the hotel, some of the things I mentioned really dampened my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Johnstown, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Great stay! Food was fantastic, drinks were great, hotel was very clean and staff was friendly. The only downside (and it wasn't even a big deal) was that there were some inside renovations happening)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Been to Melia Nassau Beach Resort? Share your experiences!