“Hotel That Has Potential” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Nassau Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Melia Nassau Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Nassau Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Nassau, New Providence Island (Formerly Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino)   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% Off
Ranked #9 of 33 hotels in Nassau
new jersey
“Hotel That Has Potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stayed here from 7/2 to 7/9/2014. The food was excellant but needs more than 2 restaurants. The pool bar needs to have a stocked area with bartenders. Hated to wait long for a drink. Hotel needs cosmetic work and the all inclusives need rooms with stocked mini bar. Waitresses in lobby bar were great! The pool can use more waitresses to take drink orders. Room service should be part of all inclusive package. Hotel needs more activities to engage guests. Nightly entertainment was good.

Room Tip: Wifi is only available in lobby. Ask to get a room that faces pool so you can have a great view of t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

649 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Ok...I must admit that this was my first "all-inclusive" paradise resort visit. And I also admit that I went with a companion with whom I was falling in love. So you may take this review with a grain of salt. I will mention, though, that I travel a lot and have experienced both good and bad hotels, restaurants and locations. And I also need to mention that I am a sun/beach/ocean fanatic. That being said, I loved this place as did my girlfriend. Positives first - the room was clean and well cared for by the staff. The view from the balcony was, of course, breathtaking. The resort offered basically three restaurants, although one was more of an outdoor sandwich or evening event eatery. The italian restaurant served wonderfully prepared food, though I would have liked more seafood options. The buffet restaurant was spectacular for breakfast and satisfactory for dinner. The indoor staff was very friendly and attentive to our needs. The beach was pretty, the ocean clear as glass and the numerous pools were refreshing and well kept. The downtown and paradise island were very accessible from Melia. Frankly, I did not mind and understand the wristband to identify us as all-inclusive guests (so we did not have to show identification all of the time) - but glad I did not lose mine because of the replacement fee. The main negative - as mentioned by Dean C - is the outoor bar. We did come to understand "Bahamas time" - we acually called it "Melia time". You could expect at least one half hour or more to actually get a barkeep to notice you, much less serve you. We ended up making up for it by ordering extra drinks (all-inclusive is great) and just living with the inconvenience. Or, we would simply step inside during the afternoon to order drinks at the bar in the lobby which had faster service. The exercise did us well. I noticed a few guests who were not "all-inclusive" and frankly I would have been astounded at the prices that were being quoted for the drinks and food. If you are staying, make it "all-inclusive". The other real negative is the night-life, or lack thereof. While a few nights had bands or singers, they all ended early. I suppose "early" depends if you are with family or with friends/lovers, but it would have been nice to have a place to enjoy after around 11:00 p.m. All that being said, I would and plan to return to Melia and enjoy a great, very well priced paradise vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Auburn, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The first thing that attracted my friend and I to this hotel was the PRICE, we got a GREAT deal. Expectations were not that high, but since there had been a recent renovation we thought we could not go wrong. This hotel was really great, they offered something different to do all the time, live shows and music and kareoke, a nice bar, beautiful beach. It is within walking distance from some necessities, we spent a day at Paradise Island, also nice the Acquarium and Casino.

We did not opt for the all-inclusive, but did eat on the property a number of times the food was consistantly good, the buffet which seems pretty expensive has two prices, ask them about it.

Room Tip: Seems like most of the rooms have a nice view into the pool and courtyard area.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I visited the Melia resort on a day pass that cost $30 per person. During my visit at this resort I had access to their beach and pool areas. We went for the day as our cruise ship was at port for 11 hours so my boyfriend and I decided to go to a different part of the island versus the typical Paradis Island trip. We ended up at Melia as I read great reviews on their outdoor facilities. Needless to say we were excited to get there. The premises are nice, however the service is terrible! We could not get service at the pool bar for over 10 minutes! It took the yelling of a guest staying at the hotel to get the bartenders attention. Once the bartender took our orders it took another 5-10 minutes to bring us our over priced drinks. The bartenders attitudes were so poor towards the guests and their requests for drinks that I was becoming very iritated. I work in the hospitality industry as a leader and I was astonished to the treatment theses employees were getting away with. I was a per drink paying guest and the other guests were on an all inclusive bill. I guess that's how they treat all of their guests. At this place guaranteed tips equals terrible service. I've been to all inclusive resorts before and the service at those places never suffered. It's the poor attitude of these employees that really bothered me. One guest asked Rico (a bartender) to smile because he doesn't seem happy. Rico proceeded to argue with this guest and stated that just because he doesn't smile doesn't mean he's not happy. The only person that always smile is the joker and although the Joker is smiling... it doesn't mean he's happy. This was a negative experience even as a day guest and I can assure you that I don't plan on coming back. I pitty the guests that stay under the all inclusive deal. I suggest to go to Mexico or Punta Cana instead. Service in those locations are phenomenal AND it's just as affordable.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My family and I stayed at Melia for 6 days in June. It was our first trip to Bahamas. We have been to several Mexico resorts in the past and wanted to try something different. We simply loved the Bahamas. As far as the resort goes, it was nice, nothing fancy, but nice. The people and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The food was good but nothing to write home about. The only thing that was a bit annoying was having to sign a receipt every time we ordered food or a drink, even at the pool and beach bar. We chose the all inclusive option. Signing a receipt every time is not something we experienced at the all inclusive resorts in Mexico. The price for food in the restaurants was so expensive that if we had not done the all inclusive option, I am not sure what we would have done. The buffet was $30.00 per person for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus each drink was at least $3-4. No free refills. Alcoholic drinks were much higher. A hamburger and fries at the beach café was $20. The service at the pool bar during the day was a bit slow. Overall, we had a great vacation. I will definitely be returning to Bahamas.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms had ocean view. We like the higher floor. The elevator was very efficient.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I never stayed in a hotel that told me if I didn't keep a wristband on its 200 dollars to replace. The lobby is nice but the hotel is stingy with the air conditioner and it's always a lot of people in the lobby using the wifi cuz it's not free in the rooms unles wired. I was harassed by Romeal a worker on the night shift who told me a friend of mine who lives in the Bahamas could not go to my room. Policy rules, because he don't have a wristband. As we were talking about this a white couple went by with no wristbands and he didn't say a thing to them. In the Bahamas it's a really big problems with the flies and I couldn't eat at the bar outside they covered the tables and food prep area. The pool chairs are dated and ripped and only a few so come down early or u won't get one. The food is just ok here over priced especially Starbucks is. The hallways are not air conditioned and are hot. The maids told us it suppose to work but rarely do. I would not stay here again. Miela is building another hotel across the street that suppose to be better but next time I am staying at the Atlantis like I should have in the first place. See what happens when u are being cheap.

• Stayed July 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

First a little background about me. I am just a regular married guy who (along with my wife and sometimes other family members) occasionally gets to enjoy the beautiful Caribbean area. We have visited a couple of countries and always select an all inclusive resort. Our previous travels have included Aruba, Jamaica, Mexico (twice) and a previous trip to Paradise Island two years ago. I will say up front that for every negative review you read here there will be a positive review to refute it, and vice/versa. This is true on any travel forum.

I am not some nit picker who freaks out if there are some missing tiles in the hot tub or cracks in the walkways. Pretty much if my room is cool and clean I am a happy camper. I don't get worked up about outdated furniture or ugly worn out carpeting such as what was in my room here, but again, what does not matter to one person will cause a meltdown in someone else.

The resort overall is located on a beautiful stretch of beach and could really be a great destination in the future if the plans to become part of the Baja Mar materialize. I have given this background because I hope to relay that I try to keep things in perspective, I realize that because of the price of this resort (very affordable) there may be some issues such as the dated rooms and over all maintenance issues that will be experienced. However considering the fact that most people who are on the all inclusive plan are spending an average of over $1000 USD per person there is simply NO excuse for poor customer service.

Here in lies the real problem with the Melia Nassau, Poor Management. Nowhere is this more evident than the bartenders at the outside bar. While I'm sure some of the guys are great people, the service issues are simply unacceptable. Aside from the issues people have written about regarding things such as wash cloths, rooms, check in, etc.. what is a re ocurring theme? The service at the outside bar. Yes I agree with some that there could be more entertainment and better rooms but as I stated before, I am pretty easy to satisfy so I let things like this roll off my back, HOWEVER, I will not tolerate the inconsiderate treatment that occurred daily at this bar. I completely understand the "Island Way" and the "Laid back style" that have been referred to on this site but this behavior is neither. This behavior is "I do not Care". This behavior is "notice on the check you sign after every order there is a 15% gratuity included so I do not need to get in a hurry". This became a running joke between my wife and I about who would have to go wait at the bar for drinks.

I simply do not have enought time to write about all the examples I could list but here are a couple that will give the potential visitor to the Melia an idea of what they have to look forward to (if you are a drinker and plan on utilizing this bar). You will realize the bartenders are what we began referring to as "The Masters of Avoiding Eye Contact"!! If they do not see you, you are not there..Once during the middle of the day there were only approximately 6 or 7 people sitting at the bar. Mind you this bar has seating for approximately 20 or more people and there were 6 bartenders behind the bar. Yes, some were stocking and doing other things but my point is there were almost as many bartenders as patrons and after some 10 passes back and forth over five minutes in front of me I asked to the closest one passing,"Can I get a couple of drinks, please?.. I certainly understand how this will happen at a busy place but, Really? After experiencing this virtually every time we got drinks it got old Fast..

As the swim up bar in the main pool is attached to this same bar lets see how things went there.
First the layout of the swim up bar is such that the bartender has to take your order and walk up several steps to the main bar area to make the drinks. Example two: I ordered a couple of drinks from the pool and as I do this another couple swim up and sit beside me. Bartender does not even acknowledge their presence much less ask what they want to drink. Bartender returns with my drinks but one is incorrect so he turns and leaves to get me another. Of course he is still not acknowledging the couple on my left who are somewhat confused by the look on their faces. He returns and gets their order as I leave. All of this happening once may be accepted but when this occurs daily, hourly, every time it really detracts from a great vacation.

So like the title of this post says, the REAL problem is the management of these employees. I don't blame the bartenders, they are merely doing what is accepted by their managers. It is human nature for employees to do as much or as little as required. Please go here and see in person what I am talking about because it is really difficult to try to explain this situation in words. Why, Why, Why, can these employees do more than one thing at once? How hard is it to take a drink order and then take one from someone else at the same time..As I said, if this was a one time thing I would say it's just a rude bartender but over the course of a week, it really wears you down...

I have thought about this situation a lot because this has never happened to us at any other all inclusive resort. I have wondered if it has something to do with this resort not being all inclusive only. I have stayed at places where all inclusive is the only option and tipping is forbidden. And of course leaving a five on the bed will get your mini fridge packed with beer daily for a week! Sory for the long post but as you can see this really bothered not only me but other members of my family. It detracted from what could have been a great vacation.

Andrew, please do not bother with a canned response. I will know this problem has been addressed when the poor service of the bartenders is no longer a common theme on this forum. Dates of stay June 29, 2014-July 4, 2014.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Melia Nassau Beach Resort? Share your experiences!