“Would return IF service improves substantially” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Nassau Beach Resort

You added Melia Nassau Beach Resort to your Saves list
Melia Nassau Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Nassau, New Providence Island (Formerly Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino)   |
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Calgary, Canada
“Would return IF service improves substantially”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Rave reviews and unfavourable reviews are usually based on a pre-set expectation. I felt prepared (and thankful) that I had read all of the previous reviews prior to our stay. We figured we'd take our chances since we're pretty self-sufficient.

It is true; the Melia has a great spot on the BEACH, and it was kept clean during my visit. (Mind you, it is our responsibility as visitors to pick up after ourselves and not litter in the first place). But I did notice while walking the beach, those at other resorts were not nearly as tidy. Could really use extra palapas on the beach!! There are not many, are highly coveted, and people seemed to be laying towels out the night before to secure them. We had no complains with the 'quiet' POOL, which was the only one we utilized. It was not heated, but we didn't expect it to be. Many lounger chairs at the pool and beach need replacing. Hope they'll be brought in soon.

COMMON AREAS areas of the hotel could use a little sprucing up. We were hoping to use the stairs for exercise, but had to give that up after door handles fell off and pieces of plaster from the ceiling were noticed on the floor. The hotel ought to conduct a safety inspection.

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT (MUSIC) was a bit repetitive over the course of a week, but of good to very good quality. Many of us stood around until our feet were too sore, as there is a significant LACK OF SEATING. It would be nice for the hotel to arrange to bring more seating to this area for the evenings. There is a large wraparound deck just off of the lobby bar, but absolutely no seating out there either. This would be a nice spot for guests to hang out in the evenings.

The only MAJOR COMPLAINT (as with many others) would be the lack of SERVICE. Although we did not experience a long wait during check in, that being our first impression of the hotel was poor. Wait staff at the pool = sometimes poor and often terrible. Wait staff at restaurants was very hit and miss. Housekeeping = very random, sometimes taking into the evening, sometimes not done unless you have the front desk contact housekeeping for you.

ANOTHER DISAPPOINTMENT; I had communicated with the Revenue Manager in advance of our arrival. I made our OCEANVIEW ROOM request and advised we were visiting for our honeymoon. The first room I was assigned was on the 5th floor, was more of a pool than oceanview, and had a strange smell. After I returned to the check-in counter and spoke to a different employee, we were offered a room which met expectation (8th floor, no mildew smell). Melia advertises when travelling for a honeymoon or birthday, a complimentary bottle of wine will be gifted. We thought maybe they're waiting until our last night to deliver - but it never showed. Not a make or break, of course. We were travelling on the all-inclusive package and could order a glass whenever we liked. However, it is small touches that can make a difference.

We took time to voice our general concerns over the lack of service to managers during our stay. We made our comments respectfully, accepting their apologies and promise that they are working on things - it will be a process, possibly more so because the employees are unionized. (I am an employee of a union as well, and while I appreciate that it ensures employees receive fair pay, know that it can be difficult to motivate or reprimand the staff who display less than desirable behaviour). They seem to be implementing some new processes based on the negative reviews - such as better organizing the check-in line and sending what appears to be supervisors around the restaurants to check that things are going okay.

I'd like to mention staff who provided great service, because they exist! Cindy at (2nd time) check-in, Moses at the Aqua restaurant, and Shane at the lobby bar. Thank you; you are appreciated!

We REALLY ENJOYED this destination! Spent lots of time off resort exploring...Downtown Shops and Government Landmarks, the Rum Distillery, Fort Fincastle, Queen's Staircase, Atlantis, Snorkelling Excursion, Fish Fry. In case we decide to rent a condo or hotel with a kitchenette, we checked out prices at the local grocery store and transportation options. Jitney and taxi drivers were friendly, some making for great unofficial tour guides!

We look forward to returning to this destination, and would consider returning to the Melia IF service improves substantially. It has been several months since Melia took over from the Sheraton. And soon, they will not be able to use the transition as reason for what is currently lacking. I will continue to follow the reviews.

Room Tip: Room 806 was great; oceanview and furnishings are in relatively good shape. Interior closed-in hall...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Trvllbugg,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel and for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are continuing to work with our associates to ensure our guest receive the passion for service that the Melia prides itself in. There are many projects that will be happening throughout this year that will solve or help a lot of the issues you have mentioned.

I do hope you decide to visit us again so that you can see our continued progress in making the Melia Nassau Beach reach its full potential.

Andrew Tilley,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

The hotel's location is great with awesome beach and
very nice outdoor pool areas.
The real problem of this hotel is SERVICE.

1st, check in took us 30 mts, because they could't find my
reservation. I was even asked if I had booked through Sheraton
(previous owner), when the booking date was 21st JAN. By this
time Melia already owned the hotel.
After 30 mts they found my reservation, gave me the key but
no explanation about the hotel or restaurants was given. Since
my reservation was all inclusive I had to ask if I wasn't
supposed to have a bracelet. Then the receptionist gave us
one.

Buffet restaurant: it´s common to have long lines of people
waiting to be seated, however they had several tables
available. There were also many tables waiting to be cleared. In one
of my brf, that took me 45 mts, I saw a table in need to be cleared that
remained the same from the time I arrived until I left. And at 7H30
in the morning they aren´t that busy....
When you look at what the waiters are doing, they are
running around looking busy but not a lot of customer
service is happening.
The food is tasty and they have a good variety of options
but there was something that really annoyed me: They have no
fresh bread for breakfast. This is something I cannot expect in
a 4* hotel. All they have is sliced bread (which is
ok if what I want is to have a toast) bagels, and English
muffins. But by lunch and dinner time you could find french
bread and artisan bread that would go perfectly in a brf. I
asked why this bread wasn't available for BRF and they told
me that it was only available for lunch and dinner.
Nonsense!!
Though I traveled with an all inclusive pakage I had to sign
every single thing, which in my opinion makes no sense at all.
The receipts were given to us to sign, many times, during
the meal.
The pool bar is the place were you realize you have super
powers like being invisible, because they don´t seem to see
you as they are walking around looking very busy but once
again not doing much. So be prepared to wait. One of the
mornings by 9.00am they hadn't any water to offer. Reason:
The supplier hadn't arrived yet...maybe in 1H. Seriously??
No water???

Entertainment just doesn't exist!
By the time of check out that should have taken about 3 mts,
the time to give back the key and check the system for any
extra, it took us about 20 mts, because as the receptionist
checked the system she said that the balance due was $2220.
Remember when I said I had an all inclusive? Well for me it is a
mystery how she didn't notice. So I just said that I had
nothing to pay as I had an all Inclusive package and even had the
bracelet as she could see. After 20 mts she realized I had
nothing to pay.

I have stayed in other Meliã Hotels in other parts of the world and this hotel is not
up to the standards of the Melia.
The staff needs proper training and better customer service
skills.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Sininho71,
Please accept my apologies for your recent stay with us here at the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel. we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about your stay. Our guests comments help up to know where we need to improve and give us the opportunity to work in those areas to ensure our guest receive the best service possible. Your comments will be shared with our management team for discussion and improvement.

I hope you visit us again and give us the chance to win your confidence in us.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My husband and I loved our stay at the Melia in Nassau. I am very picky as I like everything clean, I like to get my moneys worth. The people at the hotel were all very helpful, always available. We went for our 25th Anniversary and they surprised us with Champagne and chocolate cover strawberries one night. We did the all inclusive and I highly recommend that as meals can be expensive.
When I read the comments prior to going I was a little nervous, but we were happily surprised!
people that were in a bus that were picking up people at our hotel were commenting at how beautiful our resort was and they should have stayed there as their hotels were party hotels. The Melia was quiet, had a lot to offer. You could go all day or just sit on the beach and have drinks brought to you. We loved it!

Romina C,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Our associates work very hard to ensure all of our guess receive the passion for service that the Melia brand prides itself in. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Weeki Wachee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

After booking this hotel we started to read the negative comments and were concerned about our choice.
We arrived for our long week end saturday night, and were greeted by very friendly staff, our room was not ready how ever we were offered alternative rooms, I choose to stay with my king bed with ocean view. The room was a short walk about 3-4 mins form the elevator but the view was worth it. The room was very clean, we requested our room cleaned the next day and it was done, the buffet breakfast was $25 each including tax and tip, there was a good selection and it was all fresh too. Most evenings there is entertainment in the main bar area, typical of what to expect on vacation . The drinks are around $10 for a mixed drink, this is the same where ever you go on the island, remember you are in the Bahamas and there for every thing is done on island time ! The grounds were well kept and the pools were very clean,and you can walk straight on to the white sandy beach,from the hotel pool areas there is also a wet bar, I never experienced a long wait for any thing, of course with the volume of people there you may wait a couple of minutes for service, but all in all very nice, all the staff were friendly and we checked in and out in no time. The bus stop is right out side and will take you into town for $1.25 each way, but the buses stop running at 6.30 , and a taxi will cost you around $20 for the same ride. There is a daiquiri shack across from the hotel and well worth the visit, all drinks are made with fresh fruit and come with or with out liquor, they also sell water at $1 compared to the hotel $2.75. The casino was quite for most of our stay but has a nice bar, so if the main bar is busy, go to the casino and there is no wait, again great staff with lots of local knowledge, I am just so pleased that my experience was not the same as some of the other reviewers it does seem the management have taken note of problems and are working to correct them, I would come back for and longer stay !

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Richard g,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and I am so happy to hear that you will be visiting us again. We cannot wait to welcome you again for another memorable vacation in the beautiful Bahamas.

See you again soon,

Cumming, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

we like many others booked at Wyndham and was put in the Melia. The hotel seemed newer and the rooms nicer so we did not mind. When you check in, plan to wait and wait unless you are the lucky few. The service at the front desk was pretty bad but the maintenance guys were great. The bar and resturant poolside are ok but very expensive. There is a strip mall about 10 minutes walking from the hotel. They have a burger king, dairy queen, and a deli. There was also a great italian place across the street that has great food and well priced. The rooms were pretty nice and very clean so no complaints there. The views from all rooms in the Melia seem good and they all have a nice balcony. No fridge and super small ice bucket so get a cheap cooler (or bring a soft side cooler) so you can buy drinks at the store located downstairs by the casino, or at the gas station. At the bar, sodas are $3 for a can. There was a vending machine on the 5th floor, but it would only take coins. I searched for another one since it would not accept bills and could not find one. I went to the front desk and asked her which floors had vending machines. She told me she was not allowed to tell me where they were located and to buy one at the bar for $3. That upset me pretty bad when they seemed to not care about their guests, only the money. All in all, it is not a bad place to stay. The pool at the Wyndham with the slide is closed so if you have kids be aware. The only heated pool is the one with the bar on the end. I would recommed reserving at Wyndham, and you should get put at the Melia which is nicer. They share all the same ammenties and casino. If you gamble, i highly recommed waiting until you get to the Atlantis. The machines at Casino Palace do not pay out near as well as the Atlantis. Remember, they do not have gambling laws over there so they set the slot machines at very bad odds. Just set your limit and have fun! Also read other reviews about taking a bus vs a cab. If you plan some, it is not that bad. Be firm with the locals and they won't bother you too much.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I just had my wedding here on 3/22/14 and it was the perfect place for a beach wedding. We had our wedding on the west beach which was right outside of our amazing first floor suite. A Great place for me to getting ready for the wedding and for our friends and family to visit. We had our cocktail hour and reception at the West Beach Pavilion, with the Falcons live music. I highly recommend using wildflowers for decorations and flowers everything looked amazing, the falcons also did a great job for the live band. Yasmine was our wedding coordinator and did a fantastic job, she made sure everything was perfect for our wedding.
My overall impression of the hotel was that the price was reasonable, the hotel could use some improvements in the hallways but the rooms were clean and well kept. There were long lines everywhere in the hotel, this did not seem to bother us much as we did not pay for the all inclusive. They had entertainment every night, great music in the lobby bar and dancers so I am not sure what these other people have complained about in the recent other reviews.
We ended spending the rest of our vacation at the Breezes All Inclusive and we wish we would have stayed at the Melia the entire time.
I think you get what you pay for so if you are expecting 5 star service then spend the extra money to stay at the Sandals.
There are several good places to get daquires outside the hotel, I would recommend taking the bus downtown. The J W Distellery was a fun quick trip. It was nice to check out Atlantis for the day it rained, but you can tour the main parts and the aquirium for free do not pay for the $45 per person tour.
I would recommend the Melia and I plan on returning

Room Tip: First floor room with walkout patio west beach.
Liz B,
Thank you for choosing us to share your special day with you. I am so happy to hear that your wedding day was in fact a perfect one. It is also great to know that you had the chance to explore the rest of the island. I will be sure to share your praises with Yasmine, I know she will be happy to hear that you were pleased with everything.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband again for your anniversary!

Congratulations!

San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

If I had paid full price for this hotel, I would have been really upset (Groupon deal). I was solicited on the beach the entire stay, multiple times an hour. Management was nonexistent. In fact, there is not a manager on staff at night, which I think is a major liability. The staff would often try to offer me better deals when their managers were not around. Their towel policy is super annoying (you can't get a towel without a card, which the front desk did not give us). Front desk is a super slow check-in process (we waited 45 minutes). Pools are not heated, which is a bummer in March. Some of the hotel is pretty cool, like the Aqua restaurant and the bar rocks on the main level (live music at night, we met some great people, etc.). If you don't do the all inclusive trip, then expect to pay $30+ per meal for 1. I often would walk away from dinner having a $160+ tab for 2. It is a beautiful stretch of beach. The outside bar is nice. The hotel wasn't infested with Spring Breakers, like some of the others in Nassau, which was nice. The building looks like they tried to paint to cover up poor craftsmanship. The biggest heart ache is the people. They came off lazy and angry and not interested in serving the guests. After staying on Nassau, it seemed the consensus of the locals and guests that Nassau was not the greatest island in the Bahamas (maybe the worst), and we should have picked another island. Despite that, the Bahamas is beautiful, the sun is gorgeous, the salt water is healing, so we had a good time. If Melia corporate reads this, send some 24/7 management to the hotel to get on the right track. It is a nice piece of property and has potential.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Ian K,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. Please know that we do have managers on duty 24/7, however I am sorry that you did not receive the most welcoming service possible while you were here. Your comments will be shared with our management team for discussion and improvement.

Andrew Tilley

Been to Melia Nassau Beach Resort? Share your experiences!