Rave reviews and unfavourable reviews are usually based on a pre-set expectation. I felt prepared (and thankful) that I had read all of the previous reviews prior to our stay. We figured we'd take our chances since we're pretty self-sufficient.
It is true; the Melia has a great spot on the BEACH, and it was kept clean during my visit. (Mind you, it is our responsibility as visitors to pick up after ourselves and not litter in the first place). But I did notice while walking the beach, those at other resorts were not nearly as tidy. Could really use extra palapas on the beach!! There are not many, are highly coveted, and people seemed to be laying towels out the night before to secure them. We had no complains with the 'quiet' POOL, which was the only one we utilized. It was not heated, but we didn't expect it to be. Many lounger chairs at the pool and beach need replacing. Hope they'll be brought in soon.
COMMON AREAS areas of the hotel could use a little sprucing up. We were hoping to use the stairs for exercise, but had to give that up after door handles fell off and pieces of plaster from the ceiling were noticed on the floor. The hotel ought to conduct a safety inspection.
EVENING ENTERTAINMENT (MUSIC) was a bit repetitive over the course of a week, but of good to very good quality. Many of us stood around until our feet were too sore, as there is a significant LACK OF SEATING. It would be nice for the hotel to arrange to bring more seating to this area for the evenings. There is a large wraparound deck just off of the lobby bar, but absolutely no seating out there either. This would be a nice spot for guests to hang out in the evenings.
The only MAJOR COMPLAINT (as with many others) would be the lack of SERVICE. Although we did not experience a long wait during check in, that being our first impression of the hotel was poor. Wait staff at the pool = sometimes poor and often terrible. Wait staff at restaurants was very hit and miss. Housekeeping = very random, sometimes taking into the evening, sometimes not done unless you have the front desk contact housekeeping for you.
ANOTHER DISAPPOINTMENT; I had communicated with the Revenue Manager in advance of our arrival. I made our OCEANVIEW ROOM request and advised we were visiting for our honeymoon. The first room I was assigned was on the 5th floor, was more of a pool than oceanview, and had a strange smell. After I returned to the check-in counter and spoke to a different employee, we were offered a room which met expectation (8th floor, no mildew smell). Melia advertises when travelling for a honeymoon or birthday, a complimentary bottle of wine will be gifted. We thought maybe they're waiting until our last night to deliver - but it never showed. Not a make or break, of course. We were travelling on the all-inclusive package and could order a glass whenever we liked. However, it is small touches that can make a difference.
We took time to voice our general concerns over the lack of service to managers during our stay. We made our comments respectfully, accepting their apologies and promise that they are working on things - it will be a process, possibly more so because the employees are unionized. (I am an employee of a union as well, and while I appreciate that it ensures employees receive fair pay, know that it can be difficult to motivate or reprimand the staff who display less than desirable behaviour). They seem to be implementing some new processes based on the negative reviews - such as better organizing the check-in line and sending what appears to be supervisors around the restaurants to check that things are going okay.
I'd like to mention staff who provided great service, because they exist! Cindy at (2nd time) check-in, Moses at the Aqua restaurant, and Shane at the lobby bar. Thank you; you are appreciated!
We REALLY ENJOYED this destination! Spent lots of time off resort exploring...Downtown Shops and Government Landmarks, the Rum Distillery, Fort Fincastle, Queen's Staircase, Atlantis, Snorkelling Excursion, Fish Fry. In case we decide to rent a condo or hotel with a kitchenette, we checked out prices at the local grocery store and transportation options. Jitney and taxi drivers were friendly, some making for great unofficial tour guides!
We look forward to returning to this destination, and would consider returning to the Melia IF service improves substantially. It has been several months since Melia took over from the Sheraton. And soon, they will not be able to use the transition as reason for what is currently lacking. I will continue to follow the reviews.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meliá Nassau Beach is situated on a 1,000-foot stretch of white sand long the Atlantic Ocean on Nassau’s spectacular Cable Beach. Enjoy stunning views, comfortable accommodations, luxury amenities and globally inspired cuisine featuring a distinctive Bahamian flare. Meliá Nassau Beach is a perfect playground for kids of all ages offering an array of activities, on and off land, including golf, sailing and snorkeling in the calm, turquoise waters of the island. *Operating as an inclusive resort until December 2014. All inclusive after December 2014LOCATIONMeliá Nassau Beach is conveniently located just minutes from Nassau Paradise Island International Airport and a short walk from Cable Beach Golf Club. In addition, the resort is situated near many of Nassau’s major attractions, local restaurants, cafes and shops. ACCOMMODATIONSMeliá Nassau Beach features 694 guestrooms, including 32 suites: Classic Island View, Deluxe Pool View, Premium Ocean View, The Level, Romance Suite, Royal Suite, Grand Suite and the Presidential Suite ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Melia Nassau Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort And Casino
- Sheraton Nassau Beach Hotel Nassau
- Sheraton Cable Beach Resort
- Nassau Sheraton
- Radisson Cable Beach Resort
- Melia Nassau Beach Resort Bahamas