I never really look forward to my business trips to the Caribbean because of how it seems like everyone is trying to scam tourists. There are only a few spots in the Caribbean that are worth visiting in my book...Nassau is not one of them. And this hotel did not help me appreciate Nassau any more than I previously did.
The dining options are limited and pricey like any typical tourist trap resort. We called the day before our arrival to see if our rate was an all inclusive rate since someone else had made the reservations for us at work. We were told that our rate was not all inclusive and to add it would be $70 per room per day. We declined to add the all inclusive package at that time and to check again upon check in. When we arrived and asked again about adding the all inclusive package to our rate, we were quoted $140 per room per day. Ahhh, the joys of Caribbean bait and switch. So as to not make the bean counters at the home office freak out, we again declined the all inclusive rate and figured we would make due on our measly $90 per day of per diem.
The beach and the pool areas were actually pretty nice and very clean so no complaints there.
There is not much near the hotel food or shopping wise. The supermarket, Burger King, Subway, Domino's and Dairy Queen are a short 10-15 minute walk down the road and there are some shops across the street peddling stuff. Just take the jitney into town for $1.25 one way. It stops right in front of Melia at the base of the stairs and stops running around 6:30-7:00 PM. After that, expect to pay $15-$20 for a one way cab ride somewhere.
My real gripe with this place was how we were told the day before we were to checkout that we could check out late at a rate of $20 per hour after 12:00 PM up until 6:00 PM. After 6:00 PM, a full nights charge would apply. We did not have to report for duty at the airport until 6:30 PM and decided we would check out at 5:00 PM, get something to eat and then head to the airport. When I went to the front desk on the morning of our departure to get late check outs for our rooms, like we were told to do, we were denied. I told the manager that I called the day before and asked about checking out late and how I was told that I needed to stop by the front desk to sign a form authorizing miscellaneous charges in the amount of $20 per hour for a late check out. She said they were sold out and that they could not accommodate any late check outs. Then why would they tell me the day before that they could? I understand that sometimes rooms get all booked up at the last minute but all the manager said was that they were sold out. I'm curious as to when they knew they would be sold out. Had I known sooner that they were going to be sold out, alternate arrangements could have been made for us to stay somewhere until we were to report for duty.
All in all, this was just another hotel for me to stash my stuff and sleep while on a trip. For a Caribbean hotel, though, Melia was very clean. That impressed me more than anything. However, when I travel to Nassau, I like to stay at the British Colonial Hilton in downtown Nassau when it's available. It is much better and more highly recommended in my book. I give Melia 2.75 stars.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Nassau Beach Hotel Nassau
- Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort And Casino
- Sheraton Nassau Beach Hotel
- Sheraton Cable Beach Resort
- Radisson Cable Beach
- Sheraton Cable Beach
- Sheraton Nassau
- Nassau Sheraton
- Radisson Cable Beach Resort
- Cable Beach
- Melia Nassau Beach Resort Bahamas
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meliá Nassau Beach is situated on a 1,000-foot stretch of white sand long the Atlantic Ocean on Nassau’s spectacular Cable Beach. Enjoy stunning views, comfortable accommodations, luxury amenities and globally inspired cuisine featuring a distinctive Bahamian flare. Meliá Nassau Beach is a perfect playground for kids of all ages offering an array of activities, on and off land, including golf, sailing and snorkeling in the calm, turquoise waters of the island. *Operating as an inclusive resort until December 2014. All inclusive after December 2014LOCATIONMeliá Nassau Beach is conveniently located just minutes from Nassau Paradise Island International Airport and a short walk from Cable Beach Golf Club. In addition, the resort is situated near many of Nassau’s major attractions, local restaurants, cafes and shops. ACCOMMODATIONSMeliá Nassau Beach features 694 guestrooms, including 32 suites: Classic Island View, Deluxe Pool View, Premium Ocean View, The Level, Romance Suite, Royal Suite, Grand Suite and the Presidential Suite ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Amex, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, getaroom.com, Agoda, Venere and Otel so you can book your Melia Nassau Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.