“Way past its prime” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sandyport Beaches Resort

You added Sandyport Beaches Resort to your Saves list
Sandyport Beaches Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   West Bay St, Sandyport | P.O. Box SP 63162, Nassau none, New Providence Island   |
Affiliate website
Offers & Announcements
30% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Winchester, Kentucky
“Way past its prime”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed a rainy week and that did not help my attitude, but really this facility has lacked proper maintenance for several years. Stay here for the modest rates but be prepared to lower your standards. Peeling paint on the bridges. Toilet seats with only one hinge. Cracked wash basins. Leaky faucets and rusty parts. And the coup de gras, two days without hot water.
The staff is friendly but move at their own pace. The room was clean when we arrived, smelling of chlorine. ( from a disinfectant?) We had to get room keys remade three times.
The pool was never very clean but became unusable by the heavy rain. Tennis or basketball anyone? The court surface sags in the middle so after every rain shower there is an inch or two of water to play through. The ocean beach was easy to get to but no one ever used it since they never clean the trash and sea weed off the sand.
Good things are the easy access to the rest of the island using the number 10 or 12 buses for just $1.25 apiece. The Tuesday night BBQ was okay, but none of the steaks, ribs, chicken, or burgers had ever seen a grill. Restaurants and stores within walking distance are good but pricey for anyone staying at a budget-wise resort.
This was an award winning resort years ago but I give it one and a half stars today.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beaches Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear DOLadd,

I am so sorry that your experience at Sandyport did not meet yours or our expectations. The weather that we had for the full week of your stay was extraordinary. The rain broke all records for the month and we, unfortunately experienced most of it during your stay. Schools closed, communities flooded, I was along with many others without electricity at my home for three days. This must have been so disappointing for you.

We tried very hard to help our guests make the most of really what was miserable weather. We arranged additional indoor activity trips including the rum factory, chocolate factory, cigar making demonstrations, the pirates museum and art gallery. We did not cancel the BBQ which we usually hold outside by the pool but you are right the food had to be prepared differently to normal.

We do not normally have difficulty with our Hot Water but due to the excessive rains we did have a complication and I do apologize. I understand that compensation was given. We mobilized on Monday a construction fix to resolve this problem going forward.

We are working very hard on the resort and usually we are complimented on the atmosphere, our hospitality and our tranquil island feel. I am sorry that this was marred by the weather. I do hope that you will try us again in the future when we will hopefully have our more usual sunny weather.

Sandyport Beaches Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

A few weeks ago my kids and I vacationed at this resort and it was awesome. From the customer service to the decor of the rooms and the pleasant atmosphere made my choice to stay at Sandyport Resort unforgettable. The kids love it, I love it and definitely we will be back!!!!

Room Tip: Near the pool, the beach or the marina is beautiful
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beaches Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Demaynna W,

It is the greatest compliment to have our local guests choose Sandyport for their vacation. Thank you so much for sharing this “awesome” time with us. We are so pleased you “love it” and will be back.

See you soon.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We spent May 18th to May 25th at this resort in a beautiful one bedroom unit overlooking the lagoon. The unit was spotless due to the tireless efforts of Siliane, our fantastic housekeeper. Every single staff member we met during our stay was friendly, helpful and more than cheerful, starting with the manager, Mr. Vernon Moss, and Lady Sarah, who has a wonderful sense of humor. Cincinetti at reception is a stand out and is very knowledgeable about restaurants and places of interest in the area. The grounds are meticulously kept. There weren't that many guests staying during our time there, so we enjoyed the uncrowded pool and beach.

I'm pretty sure this place would be a gold crown RCI property with the addition of a fully stocked pool/beach bar and maybe a small attached restaurant where you could go for breakfast. Chef Cleveland does a fine job, but he works in a small area, so if more than a few people show up for breakfast, I could see problems. Some people we met had him prepare dinner for their group, and raved that it was the best meal they had in Nassau. You tell him what you want and he shops and prepares for you. The restaurants within walking distance of the resort are great. If you don't care to walk, the front desk will arrange for the security cart to take you. The Twisted Lime Restaurant and Bar also has a cart to pick you up and bring you back.

Thank you, Sandyport, for your hospitality. We plan to return, and would love to see that bar on the beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MFeinhals11,

“Greatest Staff Ever”! Wow! Thank you so much. Our team loves the job that we do and it makes our day when we delight our guests. Thank you for mentioning so many of our team. We love to read such wonderful compliments.

We are working on gaining the RCI Gold Crown award and are continuing to improve our property. We are proud of our Silver but are certainly going for Gold. Thank you for offering your suggestions on how we can improve. We are pleased to hear that you will be back again soon as we are working on upgrades to the pool bar.

Thank you for all of your excellent dining tips too. Hope to see you soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

This place was exactly what we were looking for to celebrate a major anniversary. Beautiful deluxe 1 bedroom suite facing the lagoon with a walkout from our living room, a 5 minute walk to the ocean, a full kitchen that we used extensively, a 2 person jacuzzi in the bedroom with a king size bed and really nice pool to laze away the hours and peace and quiet. Only small complaints were poor wireless internet service from their provider, and advertised entertainment that was not existent on the Sunday night. Also good value for the money as compared to other lodgings in Nassau. Other bonus was the bus that runs downtown during the day for $1.25. We really didn't need to rent a car.

Room Tip: We had the deluxe 1 bedroom facing the lagoon. Just perfect for a couples getaway
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear impkokay,

Happy Anniversary! Thank you so much for sharing such a major anniversary with us. We are so pleased that we were exactly what you were looking for and that we offered good value. I completely agree with you on the Deluxe One Bedroom Suite. It is our signature room with many added features like the kitchen and Jacuzzi. We shall work on the internet. Thank you for sharing all of your excellent tips.

I hope that you have sand in your shoes and will come back and visit us again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We enjoyed our stay, however the only downfall is that a shuttle bus is only available on Sunday only for one hour to go grocery shopping. Other than that we enjoyed our stay, and the staff was very friendly which was a plus.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Elizabeth728,

We are so pleased that you “had a good time” with us at Sandyport Beaches Resort and thank you for writing a review.

We shall certainly look at the frequency of our Shuttle Bus. For the benefit of other readers we offer a weekly complimentary grocery store shuttle bus which is a great opportunity to stock up on groceries for the week. The Food Store is at the edge of the Sandyport development and within walking distance. We also have nightly complimentary shuttles to the Cable Beach Casino.

Thank you for complementing our “very friendly staff”. We love making our guests happy. We hope to welcome you back to Sandyport in the future.

Coral Springs, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Sandyport Beaches resort is an RCI property and they offer the vacant rooms while it's not reserved by RCI members.. This place is not a hotel so do not expect the the same amenities that you would expect from a hotel. The room I stayed in had a kitchenette which is quite convenient. However the sink is obstructed by a wall so it makes it quite uncomfortable to use.

The location is ok for a quiet vacation and they have a large pool which night need some attention.

The housekeeping people doesn't replace the complementary coffee and bathroom supplied daily like you would expect.. I even arrived 3 out of the 8 days I stayed there to find my room in the same condition I left it. They just didn't show up to clean the room! I complained to the front desk and they just didn't care..

Sound isolation doesn't exist between the rooms... I was staying next to a family with small kids and were forced to listen to them crying, laughing, complaining and playing!

If you are a professional traveler who rely on an decent internet connection, stay away from this place as far as possible... They offer a 3rd party WiFi internet in the rooms but in the room I got i just couldn't connect at all.. The front desk staff is very uncooperative in resolving my problems and just passed me on to the 3rd party internet company who in turn just don't seem to care as well. After a big struggle I managed to change my room to another that are not located in a dead-spot.. Then I discovered that even with a strong WiFi signal the 3rd party company have many restrictions on the connection that basically render it useless. For the high price they charge you should expect a LOT more... On top of that the connection is down most the time. The speed test I performed showed a internet down speed of 80kb/s.. that's just ridiculous in today's world..

There is a small village center at the entrance of the hotel which is within walking distance but I didn't find anything useful there... I always have a rental car but for someone on vacation without a rental car it might be difficult because there aren't many interesting things close by other than the small beach.

Room Tip: internet service is not usable at all. if you require internet look for alternative accommodation.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beaches Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Paul L,
I am very sorry that your stay did not meet yours or our expectations. We are not permitted to request guests to contact us on tripadvisor, however, I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to set things right.

We are affiliated with RCI and are very proud to be an RCI Silver Crown resort. Vacation Club resorts tend to have longer stay guests and do tend to be more limited in terms of housekeeping services etc. We love our vacation club side because our members and their guests become family. We pride ourselves on our hospitality and an environment where our guests create memories year after year. We also have primarily suites on property with kitchen facilities giving room amenities that you tend not to find elsewhere.

Our hotel guests are certainly not secondary in fact we are more a hotel than a vacation club with hotel guests visiting us from the world over. We are a smaller resort with 72 suites. Many of our guests love the tranquil atmosphere that we provide. We do offer daily housekeeping services as part of our nightly room rate. Some businesses take advantage of our weekly rates which include more limited services. I do apologize if we made an error on the frequency of housekeeping included in your rate.

We do not have room service but Dominos, Sabarros and the local Chinese deliver to your room. FoodStore2go.com will stock your fridge for your arrival. There is the Beach Club Café, Twisted Lime, Spritz, News Café, and the Poop Deck all in Sandyport. Chef Clevland offers a unique pool side personal chef experience that is remarkably excellent value.

Some of our rooms are interconnecting and I apologize that this was a problem in terms of sound. We do hope that you will try us again when visiting Nassau. Please let reservations know to provide you with a studio in building 5 or 6 as these studio rooms are independent and ,consequently, will not have the noise issue that you experienced.

I am very sorry that you had difficulty with the internet connection in your room. We do offer complimentary guest computers with internet access in our lobby. We do have a third party provided WiFi service on property; however, recognize that the system is variable depending on your location in the property. We also do recognize that the needs of our guests have changed. We are currently looking into an upgraded system and hope to roll that service out shortly. I am sorry that this was not in time for you stay.

Paul L, Please accept my apologizes that we did not WOW you on this stay. I hope that you will give us an opportunity to change your view of Sandyport by our providing excellent service in the future.

trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sandyport last month when we went for a friend's wedding. We got in late at night, security at the front entrance had our room key as front desk was closed but this did not hamper our arrival. Next morning we awoke to a lovely lake/beach view outside our room and nearby pools. Cleve makes breakfast right on the beach for only 10US...pancakes,French toast, eggs...all tasty!.....but don't sleep in or else you will miss him!.....front desk staff Sharron was extremely helpful and patient in helping us decide what activities to do while we were there....lots of shops and restaurants available at the front of the resort to get anything u might have forgotten like sunglasses and swim trunks (my husband).....and more eating options at the front.......we had a studio suite.....quaint, cozy, very clean room, small bathroom, but perfect for our stay.....pity we didn't use the lovely well stocked kitchenette.....stovetop,fridge,kettle,sink,microwave,dishes etc!......Resort is very relaxin with hammocks spread out round pool area,very serene!......At the front of the resort we caught the bus to downtown Nassau....easy and cheap at 1.25US!.....on our way we passed all the other concrete jungle type hotels which we were glad we didn't stay at!....My only negative would be the long walk to the front desk from your suite as its very spread out for I guess that natural feel.....And oh no free Internet access in room....but available at front desk or for a small fee of 13US/day in your room........All in all.....for a Bahamas-feel, nice resort, great price, great service....choose Sandyport.....we will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for room close to pools, on ground floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jamila_belgrave,

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful insight into Sandyport. You have shared so many wonderful tips. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you will definitely stay with us again. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sandyport Beaches Resort

Been to Sandyport Beaches Resort? Share your experiences!