First of all I would like to start by saying I am a HGVC member and decided to use the RCI exchange program for the first time because I wanted to go to an island and did not want to make a 13hr flight to Hawaii. I came on Trip advisor prior to the trip to check out the resort and to be honest I was a little nervous. I read horror stories of bugs and cockroaches running rampant, Dirty rooms and worn property. I sat and wondered how this resort could be considered a "Silver Crown" resort by RCI. I arrived for a week's stay at Sandyport Beaches Resort. I walked into the building and approached the front desk. There was a very pleasant gentleman behind the desk, I did not catch his name. I gave him my reservation and he gave me a paper to fill out detailing things such as how many guests would be checking and other regular questions they ask you when checking in to a hotel. The Bahamian government charges a mandatory room tax as well as an energy surcharge where energy comes at a premium in the Bahamas. I was told after I turned in my card saying I had 6 people staying with me. I had a 2 bedroom suite so the taxes were about $80 some odd dollars which is pretty good for the week. The electricity is pricey as I had mentioned. it is $10 per day per person. I took care of these charges, got my room keys, and proceeded out the door. The man behind the desk ran out after me with a cart asking if he could have our bags taken to our room. I agreed and he loaded them onto the cart he pointed us in the direction of where our room was. I get into the room and it is nice, white wicker furniture, glass table and a full kitchen. Upon stepping into the room and seeing it my worries about the trip advisor reviews I had read vanished. room was clean as could be and it was comfortable. We had called as directed a month ahead for a crib which was not in the room. This was fine, we went to the desk and told them and they apologized and said they would send someone out. sure enough someone showed up and assembled the crib. so we were all set to start our stay. The resort is quiet, which is nice since I wanted to relax. The resort has 3 pools. it has a main one, a smaller one, and the 3rd one has water slides that go into it. now when I say waterslides I don't mean water park slides. they are simple slides with water running down them. from what I saw using a raft on it has the best results. The pool is unique and it was nice. The pool has 2 sides. One side of the pool is brick, and the other is sand. There is sand leading half way into the pool. I thought that was a really cool idea. Kind of get the beach feel while at the pool. There is also a little stand with a gentleman by the name of "Eddie" if I recall correctly. He cooks out there. I had an omelet there for breakfast which was very good. I also Had dinner there one night. It was Caribbean jerk chicken, rice, corn, and plantains. the price is very good compared to most of the prices in the Bahamas. moving on to the beach. The website claims that the beach is footsteps away. I have heard that before from many hotels. I thought this was the same scenario because on arrival the beach was across the street which was 4 lanes to cross. This was before I had noticed that there was an underpass which leads right onto the beach. I was amazed by how close the beach actually was. As I stated previously the resort is very quiet. I suggest a car because downtown is about a 15 minute ride, and downtown Nassau has a lot going on. You could also take a bus for $1.25 but they stop at 7pm. Downtown is more of a party type atmosphere with hustle and bustle -well as much hustle and bustle as an island gets. Prices around the resort as well as Nassau are incredible, but let's face it, even booking a stay in the Bahamas is expensive and that also extends to the food. If you want to eat out at a restaurant expect to spend $15 minimum at lower end places. I would like to point out it is not the restaurants trying to capitalize on tourists food is just expensive. I went to a few grocery stores and prices were double if not triple what I would normally pay. It's alright, it may be expensive but you are in the Bahamas! Bring money! I would say my experience at this resort was great. I enjoyed myself and at the conclusion of the stay I was asked to wait so the General Manager Vernon Moss could speak with us. He took some time to speak with us and made sure we had a good stay. I thought it was nice that a GM would take time out to speak to exiting guests personally. I would definitely return to Sandyport if I happen to be in the Bahamas again. I would like to point out a few gripes people have said though.
Blackouts - We had one blackout it was for awhile and the room was hot. I don't understand why people are complaining though. You are on vacation! go to the pool, grab something to eat, or whatever. Blackouts are normal, why complain about something small.
Bugs - None from what I have seen. It was very clean. Remember you are on an island and you may come across an island bug or two but that is the price you pay for going to such a destination.
Keys - I had 4 keys they all worked wonderfully. Make sure you are not keeping your keys near anything magnetic that may demagnetize the key such as a digital camera.
Security - Security was very visible. I seen a patrol go by at least every time I was on the balcony. My doors locked fine and there were no incidents.
Island Time- Unless you are CEO I can't see why you need to be quick, quick, quick, you are on vacation! relax! I will cite one instance though. I had asked for toilet paper that never came, but hey mistakes happen maybe it was not passed on. Nothing catastrophic.
Again, I enjoyed my stay. Thank you Sandyport for everything!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandyport Beaches Resort in Nassau, Bahamas is known for its tranquility, where rest and relaxation amid the tropical landscape takes you into island time. A quiet retreat ideally located in the luxury Sandyport Marina Village approximately 3 miles away from Nassau International Airport and minutes away from Cable Beach.The resorts pastel colored villas of 72 rooms surround a marina linked by a Grand Canal to the sea. The architecture is inspired by the Georgian Colonial architecture of historic Bahamas and all rooms are appointed with modern conveniences. The Signature room, The Deluxe One Bedroom Suite, is your home away from home with full kitchen and living/dining room with queen size sofa bed separate from the master bedroom with king size bed, Jacuzzi bath and view of the canal or lagoon beach. There are multiple room types available though with everything from a Hotel bedroom, Studio, one, two or three bedroom suites.The resort includes two ocean beaches a short walk from the rooms, a lagoon beach, and three swimming pools including one large pool with a gentle sand edge. The kiddie pool has 2 fun water slides. A tennis court and half basketball court are also on-site. Guests can use a computer in the lobby with complimentary high-speed Internet access during office hours. Wireless Internet access is available for a surcharge. Guests also have discounted use of a nearby fitness centre. While you may find yourself getting lost in the privacy and isolation of the Resort itself, at Sandyport you can have the best of all worlds - be as quiet as you want, or as active as you want, with the dining and shopping options of The Olde Towne at Sandyport on the Resort’s doorstep and a superb range of activities that can be organized through the front desk. The resort has a limited number of rooms that are handicapped accessible. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Sandyport Beaches Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandyport Beaches Hotel Nassau
- Sandyport Beach Hotel
- Sandyport Beach Nassau
- Sandyport Beach Resort
- Sandyport Resort
- Sandyport Nassau
- Sandyport Beaches Resort Bahamas/Nassau