“Great Place!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandyport Beaches Resort

You added Sandyport Beaches Resort to your Saves list
Sandyport Beaches Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   West Bay St, Sandyport | P.O. Box SP 63162, Nassau none, New Providence Island   |
Affiliate website
Offers & Announcements
30% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Everett, Massachusetts
“Great Place!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

First of all I would like to start by saying I am a HGVC member and decided to use the RCI exchange program for the first time because I wanted to go to an island and did not want to make a 13hr flight to Hawaii. I came on Trip advisor prior to the trip to check out the resort and to be honest I was a little nervous. I read horror stories of bugs and cockroaches running rampant, Dirty rooms and worn property. I sat and wondered how this resort could be considered a "Silver Crown" resort by RCI. I arrived for a week's stay at Sandyport Beaches Resort. I walked into the building and approached the front desk. There was a very pleasant gentleman behind the desk, I did not catch his name. I gave him my reservation and he gave me a paper to fill out detailing things such as how many guests would be checking and other regular questions they ask you when checking in to a hotel. The Bahamian government charges a mandatory room tax as well as an energy surcharge where energy comes at a premium in the Bahamas. I was told after I turned in my card saying I had 6 people staying with me. I had a 2 bedroom suite so the taxes were about $80 some odd dollars which is pretty good for the week. The electricity is pricey as I had mentioned. it is $10 per day per person. I took care of these charges, got my room keys, and proceeded out the door. The man behind the desk ran out after me with a cart asking if he could have our bags taken to our room. I agreed and he loaded them onto the cart he pointed us in the direction of where our room was. I get into the room and it is nice, white wicker furniture, glass table and a full kitchen. Upon stepping into the room and seeing it my worries about the trip advisor reviews I had read vanished. room was clean as could be and it was comfortable. We had called as directed a month ahead for a crib which was not in the room. This was fine, we went to the desk and told them and they apologized and said they would send someone out. sure enough someone showed up and assembled the crib. so we were all set to start our stay. The resort is quiet, which is nice since I wanted to relax. The resort has 3 pools. it has a main one, a smaller one, and the 3rd one has water slides that go into it. now when I say waterslides I don't mean water park slides. they are simple slides with water running down them. from what I saw using a raft on it has the best results. The pool is unique and it was nice. The pool has 2 sides. One side of the pool is brick, and the other is sand. There is sand leading half way into the pool. I thought that was a really cool idea. Kind of get the beach feel while at the pool. There is also a little stand with a gentleman by the name of "Eddie" if I recall correctly. He cooks out there. I had an omelet there for breakfast which was very good. I also Had dinner there one night. It was Caribbean jerk chicken, rice, corn, and plantains. the price is very good compared to most of the prices in the Bahamas. moving on to the beach. The website claims that the beach is footsteps away. I have heard that before from many hotels. I thought this was the same scenario because on arrival the beach was across the street which was 4 lanes to cross. This was before I had noticed that there was an underpass which leads right onto the beach. I was amazed by how close the beach actually was. As I stated previously the resort is very quiet. I suggest a car because downtown is about a 15 minute ride, and downtown Nassau has a lot going on. You could also take a bus for $1.25 but they stop at 7pm. Downtown is more of a party type atmosphere with hustle and bustle -well as much hustle and bustle as an island gets. Prices around the resort as well as Nassau are incredible, but let's face it, even booking a stay in the Bahamas is expensive and that also extends to the food. If you want to eat out at a restaurant expect to spend $15 minimum at lower end places. I would like to point out it is not the restaurants trying to capitalize on tourists food is just expensive. I went to a few grocery stores and prices were double if not triple what I would normally pay. It's alright, it may be expensive but you are in the Bahamas! Bring money! I would say my experience at this resort was great. I enjoyed myself and at the conclusion of the stay I was asked to wait so the General Manager Vernon Moss could speak with us. He took some time to speak with us and made sure we had a good stay. I thought it was nice that a GM would take time out to speak to exiting guests personally. I would definitely return to Sandyport if I happen to be in the Bahamas again. I would like to point out a few gripes people have said though.

Blackouts - We had one blackout it was for awhile and the room was hot. I don't understand why people are complaining though. You are on vacation! go to the pool, grab something to eat, or whatever. Blackouts are normal, why complain about something small.
Bugs - None from what I have seen. It was very clean. Remember you are on an island and you may come across an island bug or two but that is the price you pay for going to such a destination.
Keys - I had 4 keys they all worked wonderfully. Make sure you are not keeping your keys near anything magnetic that may demagnetize the key such as a digital camera.
Security - Security was very visible. I seen a patrol go by at least every time I was on the balcony. My doors locked fine and there were no incidents.
Island Time- Unless you are CEO I can't see why you need to be quick, quick, quick, you are on vacation! relax! I will cite one instance though. I had asked for toilet paper that never came, but hey mistakes happen maybe it was not passed on. Nothing catastrophic.

Again, I enjoyed my stay. Thank you Sandyport for everything!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beaches Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear John P,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback and traveler tips. We are so pleased that your “experience at this resort was great.”

You have shared so much information. I love your photos. We really must update ours as yours show the new pool chairs and the one with the hammock just begs for relaxation and a good book.

We have done a great deal to improve the resort and have once again achieved Silver Crown Customer Comment Card levels this year. We plan to continue to improve even more and to exceed our guests’ expectations. We are so pleased that you would definitely return and hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Sandyport Beaches Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We arrived at Sandyport on a Saturday evening - the resort staff (Naomi/William) was welcoming and helpful. Next morning, we received a phone call asking if everything was good and if we were attending the orientation. We were given tons of info about the resort and island by Lady Sarah and Big Al - and they offered us a continental breakfast. They also discussed excursions which we signed up for, but I did not feel as if they were shoved down our throat - they even told us about things that we could do (Atlantis) that were not sponsored by them. And after that, they took us to the supermarket so we could pick up a few things. The resort and pools were clean, but overall, the resort could use an upgrade. But all of the rooms had flat screen TV's and cable.

We did a half/half trip - some touristy stuff - Atlantis ($$$ for a family of 4 for the day), snorkeling/fishing ; and some local stuff - jumping on the #10 bus, the Fish Fry and the Straw Market. Bus is inexpensive ($1.25) and runs frequently - even though it stops running around 7 PM - if you plan right you can do all you need catching the bus round trip - you don't need to rent a car - take a cab for the major destinations (airport).

But the real reason to visit Sandyport? Chef Cleveland. He has a little "eatery" right on the resort between the pool and the beach. Firstly, he puts rum in everything!! Just for flavor - in everything from my rum pancakes to my salad with plantain (i was suspicious but I think it was the best salad I ever ate!!) My favorite night there was when he fed 11 of us grilled grouper, steak, rice, spinach, plantains, cole slaw all on 2 burners and a hot plate - restaurant presentation and tasted phenomenal - all while keeping all of our drinks coming. The testament to his skills was the familiarity that everyone had with him when they walked up and ordered from him - you know how much you've been eating a person's food when he knows just how you take it and you're only staying a week!!! On our final full day, Cleveland took my husband and I on a 3 hour "tour" of the island - from the local areas to the beach front mansions. All it cost us is some gas money and beers!!

My husband wants to thank Mr. Moss for running a very tight ship. Also, I loved seeing Porschia driving around on her little security cart - she was always so nice and helpful.

We would definetely return to the Bahamas - I thought the people were very friendly and willing to help, hope Cleveland is still there!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beaches Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Abdul and Kim J,

Thank you very much for your kind review of Sanydport Beaches Resort. Our resort team is definitely our best asset and I am so pleased you found them “welcoming and helpful”. We are a relatively small hotel and believe in personal service.

Chef Cleveland will cook to order by the Pool by previous arrangement at very reasonable prices. He will tailor what he does entirely to what his customers wish. Definitely not your traditional restaurant experience and I am so glad that you enjoyed it. He has been very well received and we too hope that he will continue for a long time.

We continue to improve the resort each day and we are so glad you liked the flat screen TV’s. I hope that you have sand in your shoes and come back to visit us soon in the Bahamas.

Schenectady
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Just returned from our stay at Sandyport. We had a very nice stay there. Our suite of rooms was very comfortable and attractive to the eye. The staff here bent over backwards to make sure that we were comfortable. We especially appreciated "Chef" Cleveland who cooked us several delicious meals and shared lot of helpful information about the island.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beaches Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear no3putts4ever,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I am so pleased to hear that you found Sandyport Beaches Resort a “beautiful place with friendly, helpful staff.” I hope that you continue to have no 3 putts and that the only sand you see is on the beaches in the Bahamas. We hope to see you again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Just one night for a lay over...we would not stay here for a vacation...rooms were clean but very small.
Huge issue with the door to our room: it was a problem from the first time we tried to open it and in Bahamian style it kinda got fixed then kinda didn't then when we absolutely needed to get back in room to leave for airport couldn't find anyone to fix it and when we did it was on island time. Very frustrating when you have a cab waiting. I will say that the the employees were very friendly and also very accommodating when we were attempting to receive documents through the email. Also dinner and breakfast on the beach: beware of the sand flies they bite and they bite a lot leaving your legs full of red polka dots, meals were barely acceptable but served with a smile. The beach at Sandyport Beach
more like muddy port beach and definitely dirty feeling.

Room Tip: get a room that locks and unlocks!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Windyday_10,

I am so sorry that we did not meet yours or our expectations of a layover hotel. Our close proximity to the airport does make us a natural choice for layovers and I am pleased to hear that you found our “Employees very friendly and our rooms clean.”

I am so sorry that you had difficulties with your room locks. We have had a few issues with our room locks although your case seems extreme. We are though as a result upgrading our current door locks and have on order the new RFID door locks from Saflok. We expect to receive them on island in November. This new technology eliminates many of the problems that have occurred with electronic locks in the past. Our existing locks from Saflok are opened by inserting a key into a slit. This slit is open to the elements at all times and sand, suntan lotion and dirt are transferred from the key into the slit. The new locks are opened by waving the key in front of the lock. There is no slit. Additionally, the new keys cannot be wiped blank by credit cards and cell phones like the existing magnetic key cards. We are very hopeful that this complete upgrade will eliminate any issue that we have had on the door lock front.

I do hope that you will consider us for a vacation as judging by your comments you might not have had a chance to see the best of us. I am guessing from your review that you did not have an opportunity to visit the Ocean Beach and it sounds like you stayed in the smaller hotel bedroom. The majority of the rooms that we have on property are deluxe one bedroom suites. These rooms have a full kitchen, living/ dining room, and a full separate Master bedroom with a Jacuzzi tub. These rooms are located along the canal and have wonderful views from the patio.

I do hope that you will try us again in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I chose Sandyport at random based on the reviews on this site and because it was relatively inexpensive. I was impressed, for example, by the fact that the manager seems to comment on all of the reviews on here...and the staff at the hotel in general was very courteous. I was very pleased with Sandyport, and would go back. Compared to Nassau's other inexpensive hotels, it's terrific. The main downsides are 1) it's somewhat isolated, and 2) it's not really an authentic beach resort.

Significantly away from the center of Nassau, it is much quieter than many of the more tourist-y resorts, and that can be a very good thing for honeymooners, etc. The few restaurants that are part of the complex were fantastic and fun, but getting to and from downtown Nassau was cumbersome..The main lounge area of the resort is nice...the snack bar is great during the day. I wish I'd been told when I was there all the fancy tricks about having to order dinner in the morning, etc. Unfortunately no one at the front desk volunteered any such information. The beach around the pool area is fake, but there is apparently access to a real beach, but I wouldn't go to Nassau for an authentic Bahamas beach anyway.

The resort has a unique character to it....almost exactly what I'd expect from a Bahamas condo development. I made some friends at the bars nearby, enjoyed my room, and thought the place had a great feel. Definitely not a spring break spot,but very pleasant.

The lack of staff overnight can be tricky, but I planned ahead and asked the front desk the night before to arrange for a taxi to pick me up at 6:00 the next morning, and a taxi did show up...late...but it did show up.

My biggest caution applies to the entire Bahamas, but Sandyport definitely falls victim to it, and that is the principle of "island time". Locals love to use the term "island time" to describe the commonplace principle of not caring about your schedule and being late frequently. This applies to the official check-in time, calling for a taxi, or pretty much anything else. You may have a set schedule, but that doesn't mean anybody at the front desk is going to put much effort toward helping you keep it.

That said, as long as you're not looking for an uproarious party scene, Sandyport is a wonderful little hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dear Rog2828,

Thank you so much for your review and for calling us “terrific” and “a wonderful little hotel”. It is a pleasure to be writing a response to your review especially as you have valued my previous responses. We are pleased that “the place had a great feel”.

I am sorry though that you did not know about the “fancy trick” of ordering dinner in the morning with Clevland by the pool. This is a unique fairly new service that we provide. Mayormike12 from New Jersey has given an informative review below on the option. This is definitely insider’s knowledge. Chef Clevland will cook to order by the Pool by previous arrangement at very reasonable prices. On your return visit we will be sure to hook you up.

We do have an ocean beach (real beach) on property in addition to the man-made lagoon beach. The Lagoon Beach is located by the rooms and extends into the pool. The Ocean Beach is accessed by a walkway along the main Sandyport Canal that goes out to the Ocean. It is a short walk entirely within the property of 5 minutes or less and there is no need to cross a road.

Our security staff is on property 24 hours and while the front desk is closed at night the security guard in the entry booth can be reached by hotel phone and assist with any guest needs including taxi transportation.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Sandyport in the near future. We certainly want our guests to feel that they are on “island time” but part of you feeling relaxed is supposed to come from knowing that we are doing our jobs as professionally and as efficiently as possible. We shall work to improve our adherence to schedule by your return.

Shoreview, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have tried to resolve an issue which happened on April 1st, 2012 through regular e-mails. Our patio door was opened on a side that we never used and kept locked (the doors can be opened from either side). During the night, someone entered our room and stole a iPad and $200.00 while we slept in the bedroom. These items were not covered by our insurance due to a high deductable. Mr. Moss, the General Manager, tried to handle the situation internaly so chose not to call the police. We called them 5 days later. Mr. Moss did eventualy appologize to us for not calling the police. We have been promised a police report and/or a internal report but our requests have been ignored. Very little has been done to help us with this loss. We would recommend this resort but make sure your valuables are always locked in the in-room safe. The resort is not as secure as it seems or should be.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Chuck C,

Thank you for recommending Sandyport Beaches Resort despite your unfortunate experience. We have been in contact personally and I am sorry you felt frustrated by this process. I believe that both I and Mr. Moss have detailed to you our internal report. We were also in contact with the Police to further request on your behalf their report. Their report is sent to you directly and I hope and trust that you are now in receipt.

Sandyport Beaches Resort is located in the Sandyport Marina Village which is one of the Bahamas premier communities. The resort has 24 hour security with access through a gated security booth. We do as you point out offer complimentary room safes for our guests and we do recommend their use for valuables. All of our entry room door locks are from the Hospitality provider Saflok and maintain a history of all access through the main door to the room. We have an excellent team, most of which have been with us for many years. All staff is required to maintain a clean police record.

Resorts are not responsible for individual’s valuables. I do not wish to imply any impropriety in this instance but hotels can in no way be sure of the contents of a guest’s room. While we make all efforts to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for our guests we do still recommend using the same safety precautions that you would at home.

I understand that you will be returning to stay fairly soon with your friends and we very much look forward to providing you with an excellent return experience.

Andover, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Just got back from this resort and I am 100% relaxed! What a great spot to unwind and enjoy the weather, pool, and calm atmosphere. If you want the hustle and bustle, go to Paradise Island. You want to feel like you are 'in the Bahams', stay here. This resort was in good shape, needs some touching up, but you can see from the people who work here, they are dedicated to making this a 4 star resort on their watch. Would rather stay here then a 4 star where they don't care about you!!
Lady Sara was as nice as could be. She informed you of what was going on and helpful with information needed for your stay and activities.
Vernon was a perfect host. We had a few issues when we first arrived, but he quickly took care of them and made our stay perfect! We enjoyed some good political conversation and I felt like I was speaking with a good friend, staying at his home. He is a gentleman!!
Suggest you have Cleveland, aka 'Chef' cook you a meal while you stay there. He meets with you prior, collects the money ($25pp), goes to the market and purchases what you have decided to eat (fresh as fresh can get!), and then cooks you up a HUGE feast....plus all you can drink island cocktails. It is not for someone looking for a 5 star dining experience, but, once again, it is like having dinner over a friends house with him cooking right in front of you, chatting away, and having a relaxing time. We sat with other guests and before you know it, with the kids running off and splashing in the pool a few yards away, several hours had passed. It was a great time and we had him cook us another meal two days later we enjoyed it so much. I suggest the fresh conch salad for an app and any fish he gets for a main course. (It was better than the 'gourmet' dinner we had at the Poop Deck)
Speaking of which, stay away from the Poop Deck. Over priced and average food. We did enjoy the restaurant that is directly on the beach, adjacent to the resort. The food was fantastic (pricey, but worth it) and the tropical drinks were perfect. Forget the bartenders name, but he did make some mean drinks...lol
We swam with the dolphins, went to Amarak Cay for the little seafood restaurants (fun time...try the Sky Juice), and walked around Nassau. Very friendly people on the island and will definitely go back. Try and get the local flavor. There was a breakfast spot exiting the resort to the left (ask for the name at the front desk) that served up fish stew and souse for breakfast. Very tasty and definitely a 'local' experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear MayorMike12,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. Guests leaving “100% relaxed” is definitely our goal. Our guests and their satisfaction are our priority and we are so pleased you noticed that dedication. It is wonderful that Vernon and Lady Sarah along with the team made your “stay perfect!”

Your tips on dining are excellent. Your description of Cleveland is spot on and thank you for sharing your experience. It is a little hard to define for our guests as it is a bit of a unique offering but you explain it so well.

The restaurant on the Beach that you liked is the Beach Club Café. A new restaurant called Twisted Lime has opened in short walking distance and there is also the Spritz restaurant.

We really hope that we can welcome you back to Sandyport in the near future. We are continuing to make improvements to the property and are dedicated to making the resort even better.

Sandyport Beaches Resort

Been to Sandyport Beaches Resort? Share your experiences!