“I wanna go back!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$305 Spa or Tour Credit!
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Maryland
“I wanna go back!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

Since I have been reading these reviews for months before we left, I feel obligated to share my own opinion. (FYI we stayed in the Manor bldg from June 12- June 19). I was so excited to go. I had this place built way up, and, believe me, it didn't let me down. My husband and I had a blast! It was our first all-inclusive resort and it was so nice to drink and eat whatever and whenever we wanted and not worry about a price tag. Since some of the portions in the nicer restaurants are smaller, order 2!!! The staff didn't mind at all! We went to Maui and Kauai last year for our honeymoon, but I honestly enjoyed this better. I thought the food was awesome. The pools were great (we preferred the Manor pool because it was quieter and had cool little waterfalls and the misting pool). During the day we had fun participating in the daily activities like water balloon toss, bingo, and even beer pong! We also took advantage of the free water sports like the canoes and the mini-catamarans/sail boats. At night there was always something to do. They had a comedian, a magic show, a Las Vegas type show, karoke, latin singers and dancers, etc. Following that we either danced in the royal theater, sang in the piano bar, ate (again!) in Cricketer's Pub, and twice they had a midnight buffet event. The one was called "Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate." (My personal fave!) It was a nice buffet of, well, chocolate. They even had a chocolate fountain. They also had a "Seafood and Martini" night. Awesome! We also took the short (and free!) shuttle bus ride to the Crystal Palace Casino one night. That was a lot of fun even though we're not big gamblers. My advice to you is make your restaurant reservations that require them as soon as you get there, and if you're not happy with something there, then tell someone(!!!) instead of letting it go and then complaining in a review. My guess is they will do anything in their power to make sure you are enjoying every part of your trip. So, don't worry...Just Go!!! I never write reviews, but it was fabulous. Ok, nuff said.

• Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,103)
  • Polish first
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

We honeymooned at Sandals Royal Bahamian June 4-8. After reading all of the reviews, I was a little apprehensive. After speaking with a travel agent we decided to take our chances and book the trip to Sandals. What a pleasant surprise! We had an early morning flight that brought us into Nassau at 10:00. We were quickly whisked to the hotel in a shuttle bus----Sandals being the first stop. We were great by friendly staff members, mimosas, a cool cloth, a brief summary of the resort, and then we were to follow them for lunch. We chose to change into our bathing suits (packed in a carry-on, since check-in isn't until 3pm) and then we went to make reservations for the Crystal Room and Baccarat. No problems getting a reservation---be flexible----there's always somewhere for you to grab a snack, so a late reservation is nice! We had lunch overlooking the crystal blue water. Again, all staff members were very friendly. After enjoying a few hours by the pool, we were escorted to our room. The room was nothing spectacular (Windsor building, oceanview honeymoon); however, after travelling extensively to the Caribbean, most resort rooms are pretty standard. The room was comfortable, the mini-bar was always well stocked. The bathroom was a bit dark, and there were a few moldy spots on the ceiling, however, with the humidity, I'm sure it's hard to keep under control. Bath towels were always replaced, however, we weren't always given hand towels. We didn't call housekeeping to ask---if we did, I'm sure they would have been brought to us. We ordered room service for breakfast on 2 mornings. It was nice to sit on the balcony and enjoy muffins, fruit and juice. The restaurants offered buffet breakfasts which were very good. Fresh waffles were my favorite. The omelets were large and cooked to order. Lunch was standard food----hamburgers, sandwiches, etc. After being in the sun, you're not hungry for gourmet meals at noon! The swim up bars were fun. Great drinks! Laverne is a riot-----she makes great drinks-----rum in the straw! We ate at the Crystal room and Baccarat---thoroughly enjoyed the fine dining experience. Kimonos was good--it's fun to dine with other guests. I don't eat seafood-----extra chicken and beef were made for me. (without asking) Casanova was good, small portions for an Italian restaurant---I'm sure if asked, you could order more. Everyone goes out of their way to please the guests. Our last day was spent at the private island. We wish we had gone sooner. the beach was a little less crowded, the pool was a little warmer----everything seemed more private. I've been to all-inclusives before, so I knew what to expect. This was the first time my husband had been to an all inclusive----he loved it. Eating, drinking, using the mini-bar, ordering room service, all without pulling out your wallet. We didn't take advantage of the numerous activities. We chose to just relax in the sun. A perfect honeymoon. Go here if you want to relax and be waited on. If you are expecting a snotty, upscale resort, go somewhere else. Enjoy!

Stayed June 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

To begin, we agree very much with Mike from Maine's write-up.

I and my wife are a non-caucasian non-USA couple who were guests at the Royal Bahamian between June 10 - 15. We had made the reservations through a recommended travel agency based off Virginia. Before that, we struggled for a while to decide where to actually go - the Sandals Grande in St. Lucia, The Royal Bahamian, or some place in Hawaii. St. Lucia required visas, and Hawaii seems at times "not that sunny." So it was, finally, the Royal Bahamian.

It was raining fairly heavily out of Miami, but the weather looked up heading into Nassau Airport. From the sky...some of my fears were confirmed. It is hardly a tropical paradise. But that was not too much of a concern as the supposedly Aqua water was why we were there.

No problems at the airport. A friendly staff member at Sandals' booth fixed us up for our Van ride to the resort. Drive to the resort was uneventful, though the occasional very colorful beachside "houses" were an impressive display of the island's moderate wealth.

Driving into the resort, we gasped...it appeared to be much smaller...but in reality, while it did turn out to be so, sizewise it was fairly expansive, still.

Greetings..the usual stuff...and then we were showed out to the restaurants.

About the room....we got a poolside/oceanview concierage Royal Honeymoon room. Be warned..the concierage is just one person for the whole Windsor building..who is fairly busy, though very friendly, like all staff members.

The room was...well, just above average. A little musty and a little mouldy here and there. Neither of us liked that, but neither did it bother us that much. Considering the amount charged, and the fact that there were only 2 other room classes over ours...that was very dissapointing. There was a spacious balcony overlooking the Windsor pool, and facing the Sandals Key island out in the Ocean.

The Windsor is far better than the Manor...which during one of our excursions, we discovered to be fairly old.

We enjoyed the gardens in the villa section...truly beautiful..with well decored flowers and other greenary. Being a photographer, I think I have about 40 shots just from that section. Not sure how the villa bungalows are inside, but the hamock set in the serenity of the cosy pools was top class.

Oh, and did I mention...our AC dripped water in our room just where you step into the bathroom.

Staff was really friendly...but one thing though...they were overly sensitive to the needs of the US visitors...and that can become a little irrate should you be the sensitive type. This was obvious everywhere..when waiting in lines for service or even during basic one-to-one encounters. I guess most of the $$ come from there...and who can blame them.

Restaurants...the supposedly posh ones were a big big dissapointment. We had reservations at the Baccarat and the Crystal room. But both were late..I think the premium times are already taken up by the folks who got the butler service. This had us miss some interesting pool side entertainment that typically reach the crescendo between 9-10:30. Ambience in the Crystal room was utterly morbid..nothing but a red gloom all around you, though it was quite the opposite at the Baccarat. But the food was way below expectations..though tolerable nonetheless. Both of these places share a wall, and we got the distinct feeling that the food items were cleverly dressed to disguise them as different items...but in reality...75% of the stuff, item by item were probably the same. Dessert was very average.

But hang on.....go to Spices. I'm not sure if due to lowered expectations, or simply due to the energy around the place, there buffets were of considerable delight. Casnova followed quite closely.

Being non-alcaholics...our pool side beverage was limited to banana-strawberry daquaris, though there is a wide array of other stuff.

We went to the island 3 days. If you find your right spot...it is quite a delight. But nobody ever mentioned until just prior to docking that only half of the island (East) belongs to Sandals. The aqua water over the coral beds and white sandy beaches is as good as it gets minus the tropical nature.

We did some parasailing - at $50 pp. Very expensive.

We also visited the Atlantis - # 10 bus at $1 pp, and the ferry charged $3 pp. Atlantis is really really very posh...with very high end shopping outlets very much like Europe or Dubai, and not the US. Yes, I would have had lunch on the floor there as well, just like someone mentioned. $30 pp let us see the Aquarium..again thats all that it let us do...so pretty pricey again. When coming back we glanced at the restaurant prices --> $40 for dinner, pp. Ok, point well made. Atlantis also has an impressive warf with expensive private boats lined up next to each other. Atlantis' grounds were truly amazing as well. If you have the money and prefer elegance and modern features all the time, this is your place.

And finally, the Straw market. Let me be a little harsh..they are a bunch of cheats.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay...but the price tags is more ( 15-20 % more) than what it should be. We sure did come back with some truly amazing SLR pictures.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2005

We stayed at this resort from June 6-12, and after reading some of these reviews, we were pleasantly surprised when we got there. We commented that if you can't be happy here, you won't be happy anywhere.

Check in at the resort was very easy, they led us with a group of people into the lobby and brought us champagne and any documents we needed to fill out. It was only about 12:30, and check in wasn't until 3, so they led us to Spices to eat, and we were able to enjoy all of the resort facilities until our room was ready at 2:30.

We booked a honeymoon oceanview concierge room, because we wanted a balcony, but when we saw our room, we didn't have a balcony, but we did have an oceanfront room with a beautiful view. I called to complain that we didn't have a balcony, and was informed that we were upgraded to a 'grand luxe' room. I didn't want to loose the ocean view that we had, so we just let it go. Otherwise, the room was your typical holiday-inn size, but it was decorated with a pineapple theme and the bathroom had green marble sinks. We were in the Manor building, and I was surprised at what good condition it was in, it looked like it had recently been painted. There was also no musty smell and no mold.

The pool water was a little chilly, but the hot tubs were hot and the ocean was warm. The pool bar was the only place we experienced slow service, but the drinks were great. They had all name brand liquor, and the drinks were for the most part strong, but it depended on the bartender. We spent most afternoons laying by the pool sipping daquiris. Some days they did walk around and take drink orders while we were laying out, but not always. The resort must not have been full when we were there because we never had any problems getting dinner reservations, beach towels or pool chairs.

The food was better than I expected. We had our best meals at the Crystal room, Baccarat and Kimonos. We had room service breakfast everday. For lunch, the options were limited, we could eat at the buffets at casonavas or spices, or do sit down at royal cafe. The food was ok at these places, but we were starting to get tired of it. There were alot more options for dinner and all of our dinners were very good.

The resort was beautiful, the grounds were well kept and the staff was so friendly. We never encountered an unpleasant staff member. We commented that we got better service from this staff, who are not expecting tips than we did from restaurants at home.

There was plenty of stuff to do at the resort if you wanted to, but we wanted to relax after all of the wedding planning. They do a ton of weddings there! We saw at least 5 everyday!

We rented jet skis on the beach and they were alot of fun. We also visited the Atlantis and the crystal palace casino. The Atlantis was beautiful, but I don't think we would have liked to honeymoon there. There were screaming kids everywhere!

We had an amazing honeymoon here and can't wait to go back someday!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

Just returned from a 3 night stay at SRB. Can not say anything bad about this resort.
Arrived at the airport on FridayJune 10th, went up to the Sandals desk, checked in for our tranfers, they were running 5 minutes late which wasn't a big deal because you have to fill out a sheet of paper. After 5 minutes our ride was there, with surprise it was a nice white stretch limo. It was about a 15 minute ride to the hotel. As soon as we got there the bell boys took our bags and we went ahead and checked in. They gave us champagne and a nice cool face cloth. Our rooms weren't ready so they escorted us to lunch. They told us to return at 2pm to get our room key. After eating lunch we explored the resort a little bit. Our room was in the Manor building, so we hung out there we vistited the spa and also the gym. The gym has great views that you definetly have to see.
We go back at 2 our room is ready we were number 323 on the 3 floor view of a tree, but if they cut it down it would of been oceanview. The room was nothing exciting just a normal hotel room with a 4 post bed a normal size bathroom, no bar, no balcony. Only a step out balcony nothing huge. Our bags were up in the room when we got there.
We then went down to the beach, and because Tropical Storm Arlene was around it was an overcast day and very windy but still in the high 80's. The beach is small but very nice, and there is a huge pool on the manor side along with the windsor side. There are jacuzzi everywhere you go from hot to cold water. Your pick. The swim up bar is also nice with a nice selection of drinks.
Because we were only there for a couple of nights we decided not to make any reservations for the restaurants we did eat at Spices, which is the international buffet restaurant which is a good dinner, and also the Italian restaurant also very good. Alot of people also said they enjoyed the Crystal Room.
On Saturday we took a ride into town, very safe and convenient. Take bus #10 for $1 very easy it takes you right into town you can do shoppig at the Straw Market and there are a lot of stores that we have in the states but just remember you odn't pay any taxes there so either way it's a good deal. The have a lot of our stores like Tommy, Polo, Tiffany's, a lot of suvneior stores, a candy store, ice cream, little markets. Everything you look for is there. While we were in town we had lunch at the Hard Rock cafe it was very good there. And while you are shopping at the straw market if you don't want somethng just say no thank you and they leave you a lone, always try to get the price down as they are just looking to make a buck either way.
Sunday was v ery hot as the storm had passed us, we went to the off shore island. So relaxing over there, you must go, the boat leaves every hour. We went at 10 am which is the first boat ride over and for the first hour there was maybe 6 people on the island. The island is very nice we a jacuzzi, pool, restaurant, swimup bar and a huge beach. People will ride there jet skis by and ask you if you want to ride again they are just looking to make a buck so if they say $30 for 1/2 hr you can get them down to $20 VERY EASY.
All in all, it was a very nice restaurant, I would defiently recommend it to anyone, if anyone is looking to do a destinaiton wedding that would be a great place so many weddings going on at all times, and beautiful locations. The food is great, the drinks are great, staff is so friendly.
Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions, Jillanson@excite.com
If you need pics or any informations just e-mail me

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

Stayed at the resort from 6/9 to 6/13 with 2 other couples we have traveled with a lot. All of us were fairly disappointed overall. The resort is a very pretty place to relax with friends, meet new ones, and defiantely drink a little to much. We made our reservations several months in advance to make sure we would get exactly what we wanted. Keep in mind that I am a seasoned traveler, on the road about 50% of the year. Our reservations were screwed up from the beginning, paid for the Windsor Suite package and spent the first night in the "Villa Village." Not at all where we reserved or wanted to be. Finally moved to the Windors building to what they called a Junior Suite - a typical marriott room if you ask me. The food was LOUSY, and I mean LOUSY. Buyer definately beware. Call and Call and Call again to make sure they plan to deliver what you expect and pay for. Eat with an open mind. When we vacation next year, we will either look at the Atlantis resort on Paradise Island or Sandals in St. Lucia (spelling: not sure, who cares.)

Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Bahamian from June 5th through June 9th 2005. We had booked this vacation 6 months in advance, so not only were we very much looking forward to it for a long time, but also had a lot of time to read reviews and look at pictures. Upon arriving we were greeted and ushered to check in and met with champagne and a cool towel. Very nice, however, the building did immediatly have a musty odor. That being said, the check in was good and we were toured the facility and brought to our room by a very friendly staff member. When we went into our room, which was in the Windsor tower, my wife almost immediatly saw its flaws. I think that the first place a woman looks at in a hotel room is the bathroom. She said that the bathroom was very drab and dirty. She noticed mold on the bathtub fixtures, dirty caulking on the tile work, dead flies in the light fixtures, no liner for the shower or trash can, and the sink faucet was leaky. OK, so be it. Im trying to stay positive here, I worked hard all year for this vacation. Remember that Sandals bills itself as being a 5 star resort. So far not true. The included stocked room mini bar was a nice touch! Anyway, our bags arrived and we went to lunch. We went to Spices and were met with a decent buffet with everything from BBQ ribs to pan fried catfish, to salads and deserts. After lunch we decided to relax beach and pool side. The beach was ok, the pools were beautiful and quite clean. We were "lucky" enough to get a reservation at the "highly praised gourmet" French restaurant Baccarat. The dining room was very classy and the staff was very, very nice and professional. We thought for sure that food that was to follow would be equally exquisite. If you want a good bottle of wine, you pay extra. The house wine is a very average cabernet. The rolls were stale and hard. I ordered duck and my wife had beef. I could have sworn I was eating pieces of pork, and her meal was very average. The desserts were average, certainly not made by a pastry chef. We left Baccarat wondering if that was the finest restaurant, what would our remaining dinners be like... Each morning we had breakfast at Spices (buffet) and actually this was the high point of our Sandals eating. Suprizingly enough neither my wife or I are big fans of buffets. The staff was always very cheery and pleasant. They would make you fresh omelettes to order and had a wide variety of pastries, fresh fruits, and everything from french toast to hash to grits. No cream for your very sub par coffee though just milk.
Laid by the pool all day, nice swim up pool bar with very enthusiastic tenders and a very large creative drink menu. Quite a schedule of pool side activities daily including beach/pool volleyball, trivia, and aerobics. The sun is very intense even through the many clouds that week. We went to Kimonos hibachi restaurant that evening and that was quite fun. We had an opportunity to meet and talk with a table full of other guests. The food was quite good, but the dessert was shipped right from the previous day's Spices buffet lunch. Went downtown Nassau the next day which was easy. Simply jump on the #10 bus. We found downtown to be less of a shoppers mecca than we had expected, however the people of Nassau certainly know that tourists are their livelyhood and are very nice, welcoming and pleasant.
The final dinner we had at Sandals was at Cassanova which is Italian. We had reservations for the the "fancier" Crystal Room, but canceled for Italian cuisine. Could Sandals screw that up? Oh boy. Again if you wanted a decent wine, get out your room charge card, otherwise dip into the premium red again. I had swordfish and my wife had clams with red sauce. I would bet that my "swordfish" started its day in a frozen Van de Kamps box and was tossed into a microwave just prior to being served to me. Not that its not good eating at home when you need a quick bite, but certainly not a "5 star" resort restaurant. My wife did not know what to make of her meal either as it was very bland and the sauce watery. I was very curious to know how the tiramisu would be for dessert. Either Sara Lee works in their kitchen or they simply unwrapped one from a local store, that is what we got.
To summarize, Sandals Royal Bahamian calls itself a 5 star resort and is supposedly the best in the Bahamas. If true, I cant imagine what it would have been like at another hotel. That being said, the Sandals' staff were always very pleasant and always greeted you with warmth, smiles, and passing hellos. If only their product measured close to their service the week would have been much more enjoyable. We left the resort with much dissapointment in not only the resort, but also didnt think that the Bahamas were as beautiful as we were expecting. We did tour Atlantis on Paradise Island, and although we did not see a guest room, the facility was amazing. Very classy and impeccibly clean. You could eat of their bathroom floor. I wonder if we should have stayed there. I dont believe that we would return to Sandals or to the Bahamas. For the money, Hawaii is much much nicer in every way from the resorts, beaches, shopping, and scenery. Even our vacation to Cancun offered much more in all those respects. I am very sad to say that we were dissapointed in Sandals, and the Bahamas.