“Will definelty Return Soon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Save Saved
You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$70 Early Booking Bonus!!
Ranked #2 of 33 hotels in Nassau
New York City, New York
“Will definelty Return Soon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

Just returned from a 3 night stay at SRB. Can not say anything bad about this resort.
Arrived at the airport on FridayJune 10th, went up to the Sandals desk, checked in for our tranfers, they were running 5 minutes late which wasn't a big deal because you have to fill out a sheet of paper. After 5 minutes our ride was there, with surprise it was a nice white stretch limo. It was about a 15 minute ride to the hotel. As soon as we got there the bell boys took our bags and we went ahead and checked in. They gave us champagne and a nice cool face cloth. Our rooms weren't ready so they escorted us to lunch. They told us to return at 2pm to get our room key. After eating lunch we explored the resort a little bit. Our room was in the Manor building, so we hung out there we vistited the spa and also the gym. The gym has great views that you definetly have to see.
We go back at 2 our room is ready we were number 323 on the 3 floor view of a tree, but if they cut it down it would of been oceanview. The room was nothing exciting just a normal hotel room with a 4 post bed a normal size bathroom, no bar, no balcony. Only a step out balcony nothing huge. Our bags were up in the room when we got there.
We then went down to the beach, and because Tropical Storm Arlene was around it was an overcast day and very windy but still in the high 80's. The beach is small but very nice, and there is a huge pool on the manor side along with the windsor side. There are jacuzzi everywhere you go from hot to cold water. Your pick. The swim up bar is also nice with a nice selection of drinks.
Because we were only there for a couple of nights we decided not to make any reservations for the restaurants we did eat at Spices, which is the international buffet restaurant which is a good dinner, and also the Italian restaurant also very good. Alot of people also said they enjoyed the Crystal Room.
On Saturday we took a ride into town, very safe and convenient. Take bus #10 for $1 very easy it takes you right into town you can do shoppig at the Straw Market and there are a lot of stores that we have in the states but just remember you odn't pay any taxes there so either way it's a good deal. The have a lot of our stores like Tommy, Polo, Tiffany's, a lot of suvneior stores, a candy store, ice cream, little markets. Everything you look for is there. While we were in town we had lunch at the Hard Rock cafe it was very good there. And while you are shopping at the straw market if you don't want somethng just say no thank you and they leave you a lone, always try to get the price down as they are just looking to make a buck either way.
Sunday was v ery hot as the storm had passed us, we went to the off shore island. So relaxing over there, you must go, the boat leaves every hour. We went at 10 am which is the first boat ride over and for the first hour there was maybe 6 people on the island. The island is very nice we a jacuzzi, pool, restaurant, swimup bar and a huge beach. People will ride there jet skis by and ask you if you want to ride again they are just looking to make a buck so if they say $30 for 1/2 hr you can get them down to $20 VERY EASY.
All in all, it was a very nice restaurant, I would defiently recommend it to anyone, if anyone is looking to do a destinaiton wedding that would be a great place so many weddings going on at all times, and beautiful locations. The food is great, the drinks are great, staff is so friendly.
Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions, Jillanson@excite.com
If you need pics or any informations just e-mail me

5,179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (950)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

Stayed at the resort from 6/9 to 6/13 with 2 other couples we have traveled with a lot. All of us were fairly disappointed overall. The resort is a very pretty place to relax with friends, meet new ones, and defiantely drink a little to much. We made our reservations several months in advance to make sure we would get exactly what we wanted. Keep in mind that I am a seasoned traveler, on the road about 50% of the year. Our reservations were screwed up from the beginning, paid for the Windsor Suite package and spent the first night in the "Villa Village." Not at all where we reserved or wanted to be. Finally moved to the Windors building to what they called a Junior Suite - a typical marriott room if you ask me. The food was LOUSY, and I mean LOUSY. Buyer definately beware. Call and Call and Call again to make sure they plan to deliver what you expect and pay for. Eat with an open mind. When we vacation next year, we will either look at the Atlantis resort on Paradise Island or Sandals in St. Lucia (spelling: not sure, who cares.)

Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Bahamian from June 5th through June 9th 2005. We had booked this vacation 6 months in advance, so not only were we very much looking forward to it for a long time, but also had a lot of time to read reviews and look at pictures. Upon arriving we were greeted and ushered to check in and met with champagne and a cool towel. Very nice, however, the building did immediatly have a musty odor. That being said, the check in was good and we were toured the facility and brought to our room by a very friendly staff member. When we went into our room, which was in the Windsor tower, my wife almost immediatly saw its flaws. I think that the first place a woman looks at in a hotel room is the bathroom. She said that the bathroom was very drab and dirty. She noticed mold on the bathtub fixtures, dirty caulking on the tile work, dead flies in the light fixtures, no liner for the shower or trash can, and the sink faucet was leaky. OK, so be it. Im trying to stay positive here, I worked hard all year for this vacation. Remember that Sandals bills itself as being a 5 star resort. So far not true. The included stocked room mini bar was a nice touch! Anyway, our bags arrived and we went to lunch. We went to Spices and were met with a decent buffet with everything from BBQ ribs to pan fried catfish, to salads and deserts. After lunch we decided to relax beach and pool side. The beach was ok, the pools were beautiful and quite clean. We were "lucky" enough to get a reservation at the "highly praised gourmet" French restaurant Baccarat. The dining room was very classy and the staff was very, very nice and professional. We thought for sure that food that was to follow would be equally exquisite. If you want a good bottle of wine, you pay extra. The house wine is a very average cabernet. The rolls were stale and hard. I ordered duck and my wife had beef. I could have sworn I was eating pieces of pork, and her meal was very average. The desserts were average, certainly not made by a pastry chef. We left Baccarat wondering if that was the finest restaurant, what would our remaining dinners be like... Each morning we had breakfast at Spices (buffet) and actually this was the high point of our Sandals eating. Suprizingly enough neither my wife or I are big fans of buffets. The staff was always very cheery and pleasant. They would make you fresh omelettes to order and had a wide variety of pastries, fresh fruits, and everything from french toast to hash to grits. No cream for your very sub par coffee though just milk.
Laid by the pool all day, nice swim up pool bar with very enthusiastic tenders and a very large creative drink menu. Quite a schedule of pool side activities daily including beach/pool volleyball, trivia, and aerobics. The sun is very intense even through the many clouds that week. We went to Kimonos hibachi restaurant that evening and that was quite fun. We had an opportunity to meet and talk with a table full of other guests. The food was quite good, but the dessert was shipped right from the previous day's Spices buffet lunch. Went downtown Nassau the next day which was easy. Simply jump on the #10 bus. We found downtown to be less of a shoppers mecca than we had expected, however the people of Nassau certainly know that tourists are their livelyhood and are very nice, welcoming and pleasant.
The final dinner we had at Sandals was at Cassanova which is Italian. We had reservations for the the "fancier" Crystal Room, but canceled for Italian cuisine. Could Sandals screw that up? Oh boy. Again if you wanted a decent wine, get out your room charge card, otherwise dip into the premium red again. I had swordfish and my wife had clams with red sauce. I would bet that my "swordfish" started its day in a frozen Van de Kamps box and was tossed into a microwave just prior to being served to me. Not that its not good eating at home when you need a quick bite, but certainly not a "5 star" resort restaurant. My wife did not know what to make of her meal either as it was very bland and the sauce watery. I was very curious to know how the tiramisu would be for dessert. Either Sara Lee works in their kitchen or they simply unwrapped one from a local store, that is what we got.
To summarize, Sandals Royal Bahamian calls itself a 5 star resort and is supposedly the best in the Bahamas. If true, I cant imagine what it would have been like at another hotel. That being said, the Sandals' staff were always very pleasant and always greeted you with warmth, smiles, and passing hellos. If only their product measured close to their service the week would have been much more enjoyable. We left the resort with much dissapointment in not only the resort, but also didnt think that the Bahamas were as beautiful as we were expecting. We did tour Atlantis on Paradise Island, and although we did not see a guest room, the facility was amazing. Very classy and impeccibly clean. You could eat of their bathroom floor. I wonder if we should have stayed there. I dont believe that we would return to Sandals or to the Bahamas. For the money, Hawaii is much much nicer in every way from the resorts, beaches, shopping, and scenery. Even our vacation to Cancun offered much more in all those respects. I am very sad to say that we were dissapointed in Sandals, and the Bahamas.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2005

We stayed at the resort from 12 May-19 May. We read previous reviews some were negative and some positive. We decided not to let the negative reviews influence our decision and decided to go. We are so glad that we went. We had a honeymoon oceanview conciere room, (sorry about the spelling). We had a balcony and a stocked mini bar in the room. I drink a lot of water and we had plenty besides the champagne. The food was really good. I was really impressed with Baccarat, Kimonos, and the Crystal Room. The service was great. Our room did not have a musty smell. We had a nice ocean breeze and turned the air off at night. The midnight martini/champagne snacks were good. I fell in love with the white chcolate desserts and my husband the dark chocolate. We receive free luggage from sandals and were able to use it for our trip. Love the swim up bar and snorkleing. If I had one negative thing to say it would be that we had to call for towels twice. Believe me that was very minor. We cannot wait to go back and go to other Sandals resorts. While we were on the plane headed back to Chicago my husband decided that we are going to Jamaica and stay at a Sandals Resort there. Any questions feel free to ask. The Staff was very friendly and helpful. We tried to tip and were politely turned
down.

• Stayed May 2005
Westchester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2005

Like many of the other people we too were a bit apprehensive about the hotel given some of the negative reviews but we must say this trip was wonderful from beginning to end. We booked the Royal Villa Honeymoon suite which included a Rolls Royce pickup at the airport and butler service. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. We had personal check-in and were greeted with a mimosa and a cold towel.

Although our room was not ready when we arrived our butler showed us around the property and took us for lunch. The grounds are well maintained and they are constantly cleaning and painting and making sure that everything is in perfect condition. Our room was beautiful with a full mini-bar which was re-stocked every day. We had no complaints about the room or the maid staff.

The food was very good, better than expected. The breakfasts at the Baccarat were great. The lunches were ok, not great - lots of good fried stuff. The beach BBQ was great and the room service lunch was great too. Dinner was very good. There was a great variety. Its worth having a butler because they guarantee that you can get into all the best places. We ate at the Crystal Room twice and Baccarat once. Baccarat is by far the best restaurant there.

The pools are great and so are the swim-up bars. The staff is very helpful and nice. There is top shelf liquor which is very nice too.

Overall, it’s a great place to go. Tons of people in love just relaxing and enjoying each other. We can't wait to go back.

Fresno, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

I have been to the Caribbean a few times including Mexico a couple times, Jamaica and St. Maarten. This was my first trip to a Sandals and I was down there to attend a wedding so I didn't pick the place. I would have probably chosen it given the amenities they offer and the reviews I saw. I would never go back to this resort though and don't know if I will attempt to stay at any other Sandals.

The rooms were fairly nice, spacious with nice beds. We were in a mid level priced room so we had a stocked bar which had juices and water as well as alcohol. The alcohol was low shelf, rail quality. The tub was big but for some reason it was quite high. I am tall and it took some effort to step into it. My girlfriend is not tall and had trouble including falling once very bad on her elbow. The nurse was nice though.

The decor in the hotel is OK. Some of the pictures were torn down, scratched up or written on. We had a special concierge attendant but she was the attendant for an entire complex so no special attention whatsoever.

The pools were very nice. The time of year we went made for chilly water but that's not the resorts fault. We still managed to get in and swim up to the bar. The bar is nicely stocked and the bartenders seemed knowledgeable. They also have a list of tropical drinks that were quite good. Great place to meet people too.

The activities were quite good and fun. The activity directors have lots of energy and like to get people involved. You have to take part in activities to get your sandals. Don't be thinking the sandals you earn are anything great. Just some little leather sandals on a beaded leather necklace. The drinking games were a good time. Play Captain Puff Puff if you go.

Now the food. When I consider how much we paid to go to the best rated Sandals resort, I believe I should have walked away from every meal thinking, "That was very tasty." This is not the case at all. One meal we had was pretty good. The rest ranged from OK too BLAGH! If you decide to eat on the private island, be prepared to be eaten yourself. Lots of bugs. The island is also shared so only a small part of it belongs to Sandals. There are lots of options to choose from as far as eating but none of them are great. We ended up eating off resort the last two nights because we were sick of it. Go to the fish fry!

There isn't much nightlife at the pub or the disco. Some nights draw a bit of a crowd but for the most part, it's dead. We had the most fun hanging out in the hot tub and chatting with other guests.

It's tough looking back saying DON'T go to this resort until I look at the price tag. In NO WAY is it worth that much money. You should have no worries about anything besides weather and the airlines for that much money. I think about what I could have spent that on and I want to cry. For half the price, it would have been worth the trip. Ye be warned!

• Stayed March 2005
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

I chose Sandals b/c of the all inclusive even though it cost more than staying at the Marriott with eating out. It wasn't worth it in my opinion. The food was terrible except for the Crystal Room but you have to make reservations and we got the last one for the week.
Once the waiter/waitress serves you, you will never see them again so forget about refilling your drink. And at the buffet restaurant good luck getting a drink at all.

Additonally my bag was stolen from the beach and no one cared. I went straight to the main desk and they just shrugged. I had to go to each towel hut, each concierge and notify them myself (not that anyone wrote down my info). Then I had to find a security guard myself and he did nothing. Every time I went to see if it turned up I had to re-explain my story and then when I checked out I asked one last time and this person told me the security guard should have filled out a report.

The offshore island they rave about is nothing big. You only get to use 1/2 of it b/c the other half is owned by someone else. It's just another beach - nothing special. Also it's full of mosquitos.

The shower is also terrible. I expect low water pressure but the water wouldn't stay at 1 temperature. It went from scalding to icy. A shower would take me over 20 minutes b/c every time it went scalding I had to step out.

The pools were nice and the grounds were well kept. Maintenance did respond quickly when the toilet broke (TWICE).

Also check-in was HORRENDOUS. When I get off a plane I am hot, tired and hungry. I want to go to my room, change, eat and hit the beach or pool. We had to stand outside the airport waiting for a bus that smelled of Body Odor - I would rather have paid for the cab. Then we were brought into a room with no a/c and each one of us (5 couples) had to give this woman our credit card then were told to go get a bite to eat. But it was 3 PM and only one restaurant was open, which we couldn't find. So we go back and ask for our room which was ready but our luggage wasn't there. So we had to go back out and find the restaurant and sit in 90 degree weather in jeans. I wouldn't mind carrying my own luggage if it was going to take 2 hours to get to my room.

Sun tan lotion is $25 a bottle in the gift shop (the same bottle you can get in CVS for $8.99) so make sure you bring enough. And bring bug spray for the evenings.

• Stayed May 2005