“Best Honeymoon Ever!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Save Saved
You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$755 Instant Air Credit!
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Westchester, NY
“Best Honeymoon Ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2005

Like many of the other people we too were a bit apprehensive about the hotel given some of the negative reviews but we must say this trip was wonderful from beginning to end. We booked the Royal Villa Honeymoon suite which included a Rolls Royce pickup at the airport and butler service. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. We had personal check-in and were greeted with a mimosa and a cold towel.

Although our room was not ready when we arrived our butler showed us around the property and took us for lunch. The grounds are well maintained and they are constantly cleaning and painting and making sure that everything is in perfect condition. Our room was beautiful with a full mini-bar which was re-stocked every day. We had no complaints about the room or the maid staff.

The food was very good, better than expected. The breakfasts at the Baccarat were great. The lunches were ok, not great - lots of good fried stuff. The beach BBQ was great and the room service lunch was great too. Dinner was very good. There was a great variety. Its worth having a butler because they guarantee that you can get into all the best places. We ate at the Crystal Room twice and Baccarat once. Baccarat is by far the best restaurant there.

The pools are great and so are the swim-up bars. The staff is very helpful and nice. There is top shelf liquor which is very nice too.

Overall, it’s a great place to go. Tons of people in love just relaxing and enjoying each other. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,011)
  • Polish first
Fresno, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

I have been to the Caribbean a few times including Mexico a couple times, Jamaica and St. Maarten. This was my first trip to a Sandals and I was down there to attend a wedding so I didn't pick the place. I would have probably chosen it given the amenities they offer and the reviews I saw. I would never go back to this resort though and don't know if I will attempt to stay at any other Sandals.

The rooms were fairly nice, spacious with nice beds. We were in a mid level priced room so we had a stocked bar which had juices and water as well as alcohol. The alcohol was low shelf, rail quality. The tub was big but for some reason it was quite high. I am tall and it took some effort to step into it. My girlfriend is not tall and had trouble including falling once very bad on her elbow. The nurse was nice though.

The decor in the hotel is OK. Some of the pictures were torn down, scratched up or written on. We had a special concierge attendant but she was the attendant for an entire complex so no special attention whatsoever.

The pools were very nice. The time of year we went made for chilly water but that's not the resorts fault. We still managed to get in and swim up to the bar. The bar is nicely stocked and the bartenders seemed knowledgeable. They also have a list of tropical drinks that were quite good. Great place to meet people too.

The activities were quite good and fun. The activity directors have lots of energy and like to get people involved. You have to take part in activities to get your sandals. Don't be thinking the sandals you earn are anything great. Just some little leather sandals on a beaded leather necklace. The drinking games were a good time. Play Captain Puff Puff if you go.

Now the food. When I consider how much we paid to go to the best rated Sandals resort, I believe I should have walked away from every meal thinking, "That was very tasty." This is not the case at all. One meal we had was pretty good. The rest ranged from OK too BLAGH! If you decide to eat on the private island, be prepared to be eaten yourself. Lots of bugs. The island is also shared so only a small part of it belongs to Sandals. There are lots of options to choose from as far as eating but none of them are great. We ended up eating off resort the last two nights because we were sick of it. Go to the fish fry!

There isn't much nightlife at the pub or the disco. Some nights draw a bit of a crowd but for the most part, it's dead. We had the most fun hanging out in the hot tub and chatting with other guests.

It's tough looking back saying DON'T go to this resort until I look at the price tag. In NO WAY is it worth that much money. You should have no worries about anything besides weather and the airlines for that much money. I think about what I could have spent that on and I want to cry. For half the price, it would have been worth the trip. Ye be warned!

• Stayed March 2005
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

I chose Sandals b/c of the all inclusive even though it cost more than staying at the Marriott with eating out. It wasn't worth it in my opinion. The food was terrible except for the Crystal Room but you have to make reservations and we got the last one for the week.
Once the waiter/waitress serves you, you will never see them again so forget about refilling your drink. And at the buffet restaurant good luck getting a drink at all.

Additonally my bag was stolen from the beach and no one cared. I went straight to the main desk and they just shrugged. I had to go to each towel hut, each concierge and notify them myself (not that anyone wrote down my info). Then I had to find a security guard myself and he did nothing. Every time I went to see if it turned up I had to re-explain my story and then when I checked out I asked one last time and this person told me the security guard should have filled out a report.

The offshore island they rave about is nothing big. You only get to use 1/2 of it b/c the other half is owned by someone else. It's just another beach - nothing special. Also it's full of mosquitos.

The shower is also terrible. I expect low water pressure but the water wouldn't stay at 1 temperature. It went from scalding to icy. A shower would take me over 20 minutes b/c every time it went scalding I had to step out.

The pools were nice and the grounds were well kept. Maintenance did respond quickly when the toilet broke (TWICE).

Also check-in was HORRENDOUS. When I get off a plane I am hot, tired and hungry. I want to go to my room, change, eat and hit the beach or pool. We had to stand outside the airport waiting for a bus that smelled of Body Odor - I would rather have paid for the cab. Then we were brought into a room with no a/c and each one of us (5 couples) had to give this woman our credit card then were told to go get a bite to eat. But it was 3 PM and only one restaurant was open, which we couldn't find. So we go back and ask for our room which was ready but our luggage wasn't there. So we had to go back out and find the restaurant and sit in 90 degree weather in jeans. I wouldn't mind carrying my own luggage if it was going to take 2 hours to get to my room.

Sun tan lotion is $25 a bottle in the gift shop (the same bottle you can get in CVS for $8.99) so make sure you bring enough. And bring bug spray for the evenings.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

A lovely place - had our honeymoon there and was perfect. Very relaxing on the private off-shore island. book the restaurants the 1st night so not to miss out. Treatments are similar price to uk but very good. Swam with the dolphins which was a local trip - reccommend highly!!!

Niles, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

Spent 5 nights in a Royal Village Honeymoon Villa Suite. The room included butler service and Rolls Royce transfer to/from the airport. Weather was great, mid-80s, only one cloudy day with a little rain overnight. In short, we would return and stay in the Villas again.

Room: We were in the Villa Poinciana, room 711. Each villa has five or six rooms in it. The room was spacious, but did need a little touch up on the walls and the curtains were basically falling off the track (held up by multiple hooks in just a few rungs which made it difficult to fully close the curtains to keep out the sun in the morning). There was a little mildew in the bathtub/shower area, but nothing too serious. Butler service was helpful in securing dinner reservations, they had in fact made reservations for each night before we checked in. We did change a couple of the reservations and had no troubles, in fact getting into the Crystal Room at a good time (7:30) for a second time with only a day's notice. Other than that, I would not say butler service was all that impressive. We rarely saw a butler and had to ask for our room bar/snacks to be restocked rather than it being done automatically. According to the Sandals website, butler service is not offered in this room category now, but I don't think it is a big loss. The Royal Village rooms/pools are not near any of the bars, meaning it requires a 3 minute walk to quench your thirst, but it is quiet and the pools back there were never crowded. The only big complaint about the room is probably more the fault of other guest than the resort. Whenever another guest would leave their room, the doors would slam and if it was early in the morning, wake us up. I know this is a result of inconsiderate "neighbors", but it would help if Sandals installed pressure springs for the doors so they would close automatically instead of the guests needing to pull them shut.

Pools/beach/grounds: The main pools tended to get crowded and the "best" chairs were taken early in the morning. The pool water was easily in the 70s, not cold at all. The beach is on the small side and crowded with as many chairs as possible it seemed. Lots of flowering trees/bushes in the Royal Village area, but many needed to be trimmed back as the were encroaching far into the sidewalks. Other than the RV area, not much plant life around as the hotel rooms/pools/restaurants are placed very close together. Not that this was a bad thing, I thought the resort managed its space very well. The "private" island was not very private at all. Another company uses part of the island immediately next to the Sandals part for day trips for "cruisers." However, the island/pool was not crowded when we went and there was a lot of beach area. Sandals seemed to put its less pleasant staff over there, though.

Restaurants/bars: We enjoyed the Crystal Room (dinner) and the Royal Cafe (lunch) the most. Casanova's was pretty bland, less desirable than an Olive Garden - which we like. Kimono's was about what we expected, just too much sauce on the meats. We did not experience Baccarat's for dinner (personal choice), but breakfast there was nice. The buffet was typical buffet, nothing special, nothing terrible. The beachside barbeque was great for a quick bite, too. We did try lunch at Cafe Goombay, limited selection - better off at the main resort for lunch. Deserts were a disappointment. The pool bars were efficient at making drinks and most seemed adequately potent, the only exception being the frozen drinks. But you can always ask for an extra shot in those. Mixed drinks were plenty potent and lots of brand liquors available. Other than the pool bars, it was difficult to get frozen drinks. Especially at dinner. About the only other bar that we found willing to make frozen drinks in the evening was the Pub. The Piano bar was fun late in the evening and Hendrick at the Pub was great. I would not recommend the Crystal bar as a hang out, its really only there to take care of the diners in the Crystal Room and Baccarat's.

Other: Take the bus to downtown Nassau rather than a cab. It stops right out in front of the resort and only costs $1 per person each way. I believe a cab runs around $12 - $15. We took a water taxi from downtown to Paradise Island ($6 each roundtrip), but you have to catch them just right or there's quite a wait for the next one. Stopped by Atlantis for some gambling and gawking, really weren't that impressed. The casino was small, even though it is the largest in the Bahamas, and the hotel staff would not let anyone but guests down to the pool/beach areas so we really couldn't see what the fuss was about.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

Me and my now hubby stayed at Sandals from May 12 - May 19 and we were married there on May 14. I must say that this was the best vacation ever. The wedding went so smoothly, it was better than expected, Cassie who was our wedding coordinator was the best, she was able to get me the Crystal Room for the night just for us and our quests.

The people there would do anything for you, they all greet you everytime. our room was great we stayed at the Windsor building. We had a fully stocked bar everyday and housekeeping was there everyday in the morning and then at night to turn the beds. The pools were always kept clean and the hot tubs as well. the resturants were also awesome. I have not one complaint about this place and plan to return for our 1 year anniversayr.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

We recently spent 5 nights at the Sandals Royal Bahamian for our honeymoon. We are seasoned travelers and enjoy staying at higher end hotels. While I can't say our stay was horrible, it was very disappointing. For the money we spent, we could have had a true vacation of a lifetime.

We booked the highest "Windsor Suite" advertised with personal Butler Service, etc. Yes, we were picked up in a Rolls Royce, but one left in the sun without airconditioning. Our room was fair but no where close to a luxury hotel such as an Omni, Ritz, Crowne Plaza (or even a plain old Marriott). The decor and furnishings were worn. The maid service would not leave more than 2 towels, they did not replace cups, etc. We seemed to be forever trying to call for assistance. The A/C system left everything feeling damp. Most the of the staff did not answer their phone calls and the resort does not have voicemail, which can be frustrating. The butler is not personal but rather shared with several other couples. They try to touch base or leave you a voicemail once a day (?!?!?). When you arrive, you will receive a letter advising the good news that you can now tip the Butlers!

There were nice aspects of the resort such as the swimming pools. The staff was overall friendly but we did run into a few bad attitudes. The candlelight bath was a nice touch. If you want a dinner on the beach or the pier, be prepared to spend an additional $180. The house wine is down right terrible but they offer a wine list at an additional cost.

But the worst part of the experience by far was the FOOD. While the service and presentation was nice, the quality of the ingredients was very poor and without taste or seasoning. The menus sound very fancy but the actual cuisine is terrible. I am convinced the staff is doing the best they can with what they are given (frozen rolls?). The best meals are the breakfasts so eat up early! We thought maybe it was the local food style but we ate at the Atlantis (go there instead despite the crowds) and the food was excellent.

Bottom line, I would not recommend the Sandals chains. I can see where possibly their Beaches resorts might be a good deal for families with teenagers but it is definately not luxury or first class. I wish I would have read more reviews instead of relying on internet sites.