“Good, but could be better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Nassau
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Good, but could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife and I stayed for 7 days in a club level room in the Windsor building. This was our first time at Sandals and overall we enjoyed the experience but there were a few features we were not so happy about. The check in process was very slow (after a 10 hour fight this was the last thing we needed). The next day, I asked the concierge to make some restaurant reservations as soon as the desk opened at 9am. He got back to me later and told me that only one of the bookable restaurants (Kimonos) was available any night in the week and that not until 9pm! He said we were on a wait list for the others but no one ever called us.

Restaurant capacity seems to be a general problem, especially when the island is closed due to bad weather, as it was most of the time we were there. On several evenings we had to wait for an hour or so for a table and in some of the restaurants there is nowhere to wait. It was generally too cold to sit outside and wait. On one occasion we had to wait about 15 minutes, just to get our name on the waiting list. Once on the list, we were not sure if we had missed our 'slot' or not. People seemed to arrive after us and go in before us.

The best of the restaurants was the Crystal Room and we ate there several times, when we could get in. Many thanks to head waiter Jakeel who made our last night at the resort really special.

We played tennis several days, but did not find out about the coaching and group sessions available until near the end of our stay. More information about activities like this would be good.

The pools were very cold and we did not use them at all, but they look nice. The hot tubs were warm, but every day the main ones near the pool were full of large groups who stayed there all day, getting very noisy by sunset! It was slightly intimidating and annoying, so a couple of times we moved to try to find a quieter place to sit.

On the plus side, our room was large, well equipped and very clean. All the staff we encountered were very polite and welcoming. The grounds are very well maintained and the beach is clean, if small. We enjoyed the island on the one day we could get over there and we liked going into town on the cheap and frequent bus from the main gate. It's good to escape sometimes!

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,193)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I will start this by saying when I see Sandals ads on TV now I chuckle..SRB does not apply!
This resort is old & tired!
The photos on the website must be from the day it was opened,nothing looks like that now ......Sandals update your website. Especially the beach photo...you can walk from one end of the beach to the other in less than 5 minutes...this long sandy beach on the website does not exist! There is just a small stretch of sand on either side of the pier. The guys who clean the sea weed down there keep busy & it's very clean.
When we arrived at the airport we went to the Sandals kiosk & they were not friendly or informative there. They didn't welcome us at all, just told us to go find Majestic Tours outside to catch a ride to the resort. The bus was ancient & the driver was also unfriendly. Needless to say his "we accept tips" sign meant nothing to us & he didn't get one!
When we arrived at the resort we were taken to registration where we were handed an IPad which didn't work & was quite frustrating after a long day of travelling. We told the guest services people we were unhappy with the process & they completed it themselves. It was a long process & not what travellers expect or want to deal with upon arrival. We were offered a glass of champagne which we don't like and after about 30 minutes my husband asked for a beer which he eventually did get but no one else in our party was even offered a drink. We were told we had to give a credit card or $400 US deposit during this process for "incidentals". We refused, as this is an all inclusive so why would they even need this. They told us it was in case we went to the spa or the Pier restaurant. I told them I can go to the spa 7 days a week at home, I don't need to waste time inside while in the Caribbean. They said OK...so travellers don't fall for this!
After much frustration & listening to Tatiana (guest services) make promises she had no intention of keeping we finally got to our rooms. Our bags took forever to be delivered though.
We paid for Club Sandals Oceanview Room which meant for us a view of the resort but if we went out on our patio & all the way up to the right corner & leaned over....Yeah, there's the ocean!!! VERY DISAPPOINTING! Our friends had a view of the parking lot on the other side of the building ... another great Oceanview Room!
We had requested to be on the same floor, we were on 3 & they were on 5... close right???
Our room was beautiful & clean which was a plus. Our bed was missing pillow cases, the handle on one of the drawers fell off when I was unpacking. The bathroom tub needs some TLC & hand towels/facecloths were scarce some days. We had quite a selection of alcohol in the room, we had requested Bicardi Rum, Malibu Rum & Coors Light Beer. Well according to Tatiana both rums are not served at the resort & when my husband asked why she said Bicardi is available but scarce & Malibu isn't available on the island. The next day while in Nassau we visited the "Bicardi" store which was very well stocked & Malibu was in every liquor store. Pathetic lies!
Coors Light is only available to those who pay for butler service.
The fact that the liquor bottles in the room were already opened was an issue for me. I would like to know that no one has had access to them before I get there, so we didn't drink from them.
Sandra in Guest Services was great, she was the only person who seemed to care that we were unhappy with the service & the overall resort. She did her best but this resort doesn't seem to care if you are not pleased. I heard "I'm sorry" so often that it became annoying, not just to us but to so many other guests.
The staff can not accept tips which is unfortunate in some ways, I think it would probably motivate them to be more helpful.
While sitting by the pool getting a drink from the servers was hit & miss ... mostly miss. I can't even tell you the name of the lady who served there everyday as I she rarely stopped to help us out & would often take as long as 20 minutes to return with a drink. If you don't wave at her she will just walk right on by & then would often forget who ordered the drinks. We went to the pool bar ourselves & even then the service there was awful. Usually bar tenders at other resorts we have stayed at are always so friendly & fun....not happening here! The only day we had good service at the pool was when Natalzia served, she was efficient & friendly. We never had to ask her for drinks as she asked us & also cleaned up the empties as the other lady never picked them up all day.
The pools were cold & we didn't use them. The weather was sunny but it was cold there while we stayed which is unfortunate but we made the best of it anyway. Most resorts have an entertainment team who get involved with the guests & make the stay fun but there's nothing like that here. We had a couple guys who played music by the pool every day but that was about all they did.
The food was good in all the restaurants we ate in, we enjoyed Spices for breakfast & sometimes for lunch. Kimono's & Baccarat were really good also. Eugene arranged for us to have reservations in both restaurants which was great as so many guests complained they couldn't get into either during their stay.
We enjoyed the piano bar at night, it seems to be where a lot of people hang out. The bar service is good there. We had Natalzia there one night, she's a great employee Sandals...you need more like her because she makes you feel welcome & is also efficient. So many staff members could not care less if you are happy.
The Cricketer Club has great food but smells so bad...a combination of stale beer & vomit ...I think. Paul was the only employee in there who seemed to be working, we had to go ask for someone to serve us on 3 different nights. The nightly entertainment is pathetic, we went into the theatre 3 nights & left again..another building that smells badly.
I know this review is a bad one but I wish I had paid attention to the ones I had read before I booked at this resort. I can now relate to all of them... I can only assume those who were happy have never been to a great resort before or they had butler service which may have made their stay more acceptable. We have stayed at many resorts in Mexico, Dominican Republic & Jamaica and none were as bad as this one. This place is very over rated & should not be considered 5* as it doesn't come close to it.
If you want 5* Adult only go to Secrets, Iberostar, El Dorado, Excellence or Couples...don't waste your precious vacation time & money on Sandals Royal Bahamian!

Billings, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Let me start by saying that this resort was amazing. That is, if you enjoy paying an outrageous amount of money for a very lazy staff, Golden Corral-esque food, pools cold enough that only arctic penguins can enjoy the swim up bars, laughable (but not funny) nightly entertainment, half of an offshore island (yes, a large wall separates the Sandals half from the other private half) that is only accessible when the wind isn’t blowing at all, and never being able to sit in a beach or pool chair (as they all get reserved by Butler Service staff at 7am daily).
Now for some specifics. For starters, I am a 35-yr old married low-maintenance easy-going woman from MT who really doesn’t require much to be happy. I have been to two other all-inclusive resorts in my life, one in Jamaica and one in Mexico, both of which were highly superior to Sandals RB in every way, and much cheaper as well. Because I have already wasted enough of my life by staying at Sandals, I think I’ll choose to review the resort using a bulleted list so that I don’t waste any more of my time with grammar and punctuation.
The Pros:
• We were greeted with wet washcloths to wipe off the airport and shuttle goo, and a glass of champagne to fill the hour it took to check-in (no one else was checking in at this time)
• The wonderful bartender at the piano bar, Shervin , who makes a mean “Brown Sugar” and was one of the only friendly and accommodating staff members that we encountered
• Outdoor music on the beach a couple of the nights
• A few different fire pits to sit around at night because it was cold and windy (but not nearly enough for the amount of people wanting to utilize them at night)
• A tennis/basketball court (yes, they are one in the same, and the hoop is fairly crooked)
• We laughed a lot with our amazing friends (who will probably never let me pick out another vacation for us to go on together in our lives!)
The Cons:
• The restaurants requiring reservations have no availability. We went at 9am the day we arrived, when the reservation desk is supposed to open, and were the first in line to ask about getting them. First of all, we waited over 30 minutes for someone at the front desk to even be able to contact the reservation desk. Then, another couple walked in and the lady took their reservations ahead of ours after we had waited all this time. Then, she came out with the only 2 days and times left to dine and gave them to us, giving us no choice at all. This is a terrible system, and a waste of guest’s time when they should be enjoying vacation. At least open up online reservations so that guests can make them ahead of their trips!
• There are not enough pool and beach chairs for all paying guests to enjoy. The butlers of the “Butler Service” guests go out by 7:30am and reserve A TON chairs. The guests who have figured this out by their 3rd day then wake up at the crack of dawn on their vacations and go place towels and books or flip flops on chairs early so that they have a chance of laying in the sun that day (assuming sun actually shines in Nassau). This is really sad because then a ton of chairs are “taken” when not really in use all day. Then, the other guests figure this out, so they go plant themselves on top of your personal items, and you have to create an awkward sitch by asking a gal to get up off yo flip-flops!
• The food. I thought fresh fruit existed in the tropics? Also, why are the tomatoes more white than red? Also, when I’m vacationing on the beach, I should have some seafood options to eat every night, not just on a menu of one restaurant that I couldn’t get a reservation for anyhow, right? At least I like lamb.
• Water activities. If too many guests sneeze at the same time and cause ripples in the ocean, they don’t allow you to take out any of the water toys. Nuff said.
• Beach volleyball. The net wasn’t set up every day. Also, two Sandals employees and one guest, obviously with butler service, kicked off an entire team of paying guests so that they could challenge people on more than one occasion.
• Drink service. While lounging on the beach or pool, the staff is very inattentive when it comes to offering drinks or clearing empty cups. They will look down at the ground to avoid making eye contact or see anyone who is waving them over to ask for beverages. The general attitude is that you are putting them out by asking for a drink. Multiple staff members are busy on their cell phones. Then when you go to the pool bars to order one on your own, there is a line. Then the bartenders joke amongst themselves if the drink someone asks for is more complicated than pouring slush in a glass and argue over who will make it. Then a big lazy guy lies and tells you they are out of an ingredient (mint leaves) so they don’t have to make another mojito. Then when you tell him to go ahead and reuse the mint from your last drink please, he literally sneaks under the counter and pulls out a gallon sized ziplock of mint leaves and rudely makes your drinks. TERRIBLE BAR SERVICE AT THE POOLS! Oh, and by the way Sandals Corporate, all of your staff is accepting tips under the table and makes it well known that unless you tip them, you won’t get any kind of decent service!
• The island. Other than the actual beautiful blue water and sandy beaches, there is nothing pretty to look at in Nassau. It is quite flat and the landscape isn’t at all beautiful.
• Speaking of sandy beaches. There isn’t much beach-front. The pics online make the beach look WAY bigger than it is. You can literally walk from one end of the beachfront to the other in less than 2 minutes, if that. If you like to walk the beach or go for a run, NOT HERE!
• The pools. Despite what it says online as well as when you call and ask, the pools ARE NOT HEATED! I only saw one man sitting at either swim up bar the entire 7 days we were there. The water is frigid. A few couples even paid for a day pass to come over as they were told the pools were warm, and they were livid when they found out they paid $125 for freezing water! There were maybe 2-3 people attempting to swim per day throughout our entire stay.
• The gym. The gym is the room that you pick at a resort to have the most amazing view of any other entity? Yep, they did. Problem is that when you actually go to work out and enjoy this amazing view, the windows fog up so much that you can’t see outside at all. Well, what a waste of that view, huh!? Oh, and the fog is actually on the outside of the windows so you can’t even wipe it off.
In summary, just pick someplace else to visit. Two other couples who "tour" Sandals resorts said they were embarrassed that they even brought other friends to this location. They specifically said "this is the worst Sandals, worst all-inclusive we have ever experienced"

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just returned from a five night stay at Sandals Royal Bahamian in a Caribbean Village one bedroom butler suite. I must say that Sandals does relaxation like no other, from bringing our breakfast to our private terrace, to booking our dinners, leaving special treats in our room, to making sure that we always had our special spot on sandals private island our team of butlers Cicylea, Melonie & Raynard really just made this vacation our best one yet. We loved the private island and went everyday, Orlando was the best and really took care of us, the beach was so peaceful, or if you wanted more you could go to the pool area where they have a bar with musicians. All of the employees we encountered were really nice and helpful from the captains who always had a smile and a helping hand to all the waiters and waitresses to David the best and most informative driver, they love their jobs and it shows. The restaurants were all good but our favorites were The Crystal Room, Casanova's and Gordon's. We already booked our next stay and requested our new friends, to be our butler team again. We were given plenty of space, yet they took care of everything they gave us a phone to call in case we needed anything, when we left it's was like we were saying see you soon to family!

Georgetown,Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just back from Sandals. Stayed Feb.18-22 2015. Traveled in a group go six (3 couples) This resort really struggles with anything more than 2 people. We all book the upgraded concierge service on the 2nd floor of the Balmoral beach front. At what they call a private check in they gather you in the lobby to enter your information an a tablet. The tablet did not work so i needed assistance that just added to the delay of getting to our rooms. Room was average with a great view of the ocean. All the bottles of liquor were already uncapped with pour spouts in them. I was not comfortable with the opened bottles so we did not touch them. Floor next to walls were dirty. Spot cleaning only. Our group was not able to book any restaurant reservations upon arrival. First night we waited 2 hours to get a table for 6. Day 2 we argued with staff to get a table at the Crystal restaurant. Day 3 we were only able to get back into the crystal but they allowed us to order from a menu from another restaurant . This was only after threatening to go to Burger King across the street. One night the pub ran out of beer and it took over an hour to change the keg. Another bar served only one brand of draft which was terrible. Highlight of the trip was the beach from restaurant that serves pizza. We did not get a chance to visit the private island due to bad weather. All in all the food was really good but not worth the hassle of fighting with staff to get reservations. Breakfast buffets were good and always a good selection. More than 2 people you better get theres around 7:30am. best bartender was Keith. The bars are understaffed and he had to argue with waiters from the restaurants as his focus was serving the clients around his bar. Best waiter was at Spices and his name was Carlos. He was a last minute addition as the staff were confused with serving a table of six. I could not set up the wifi until day 2 . Hotel front desk staff had to contact the I.T department to set up our phones.
The hot tube in our section was not working most of our trip .

I would not recommend this resort based on this recent experience.

Room Tip: Beach from rooms are the way to go
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I recently stayed here for 5 nights. We had a ground floor room in Balmoral. We have traveled around the world and to many tropical islands including several in the Caribbean. Overall it was a very pleasant vacation and I would likely stay here again if I went back to the Bahamas. A real advantage is the scuba diving inclusion. I went diving everyday with Sandals and got a similar diving experience to a $140 2-tank dive at another outfit on the island. (Notice, you do not dive directly from the site but take a 15 min car ride to the boat.) My wife played tennis and enjoyed time playing with other guests and the pro. These are high value inclusions in my opinion. The fitness center is really nice as well with a great view of the ocean. The food is good with several styles available at the different restaurants; but do not expect the very best quality food as you might find at a big city restaurant at home. Breakfast at spices is quite good with many choices. The resort itself is beautiful and well-maintained. The off-shore island was very pleasant. We enjoyed lounging in the shade with a nice drink or snorkeling (several turtles and a few interesting fish right off shore). Firepits around the beach and pool areas are cozy at night, but you might have to wait to claim a nice seat. The room itself was good with well-stocked bar and reasonable amount of space. There were many other activities available (sing alongs, game shows, various water sports, volley ball, pool, etc.) that we did not participate in. Sandals does try to provide something for every interest though.

While it was nice overall, there were some glitches. Despite a late arrival our room was not ready and we had to wait 45 min after checking in to get it, even after told it would be 5-10 min wait. (The offer champagne, mixed drinks and hot towel on arrival, so waiting is ok). As many stated, eating at the reservations-required restaurants requires flexibility, our reservations were at 9 PM. Service was uneven. Many people were genuinely friendly and helpful. At the same time, some staff seem rather mechanical. The hostess may say "welcome to such and such restaurant" but somehow you don't feel welcomed because of the lack of warmth or simply looking away as they speak to you. I overlook this because overall the service was good.

Room Tip: ground floor balmoral was convenient but a little loud at times.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We absolutely loved visiting this resort for our 10 year anniversary. You cannot help but love this place and its warm, friendly staff. Let's do this by the numbers:

1) The food was excellent, however, our favorite restaurant was Gordon's on the Pier with its excellent staff of Joe Blacks, Gia, and Miguel. Llewel was also a standout member of the staff at Bella Napoli.
2) Playmakers! We played with the playmakers at Sandals SRB :) Folks, the games and activities were truly fun for this couple. Thank you for the fun memories and pictures of playing 'Battle of the Sexes', 'Lovers Games', Pool Golf, Talent Show, Rap challenge, Trivia, Karoke, and Bingo. High fives to Bullet, Linden, Ashwanna, Caanon, Peter, Clay, Kendall, Lathario, Keith, and Terran. Apologies for mispelled or forgotten names.
3) The other supporting staff were just wonderful - Tiffany B., Tiffany, Jermaine, Lesley-Anne, and A.C.
4) We stayed in the Balmoral. It was amazingly clean for a beachfront resort.

We look forward to planning a new trip to SRB in the future.