My husband and I just returned from our 6-night honeymoon at the Sandal Royal Bahamian, August 9-15, 2004. I'll just hit the high points. Normally, I wouldn't give my email address, but since I got the feeling that a few of these reviews were not written by actual guests, I wanted to prove that this is a real review! If you have a (short) question, please feel free to email me.
First, a word about expectations. Sure, $600 or so sounds like a lot to pay for two people per day. But break it down: $200 for the room, $100 per person per day for food, another $50 per person per day for drinks, and you're at $500. Add on tax, tips and gratuities, and you're over $600. Sandals gives you all that, plus free snorkeling, sailing, and...best of all...diving! That's where the real value kicks in. We went snorkeling in Cancun, and the trips were $45-60pp. Dive trips are $70-$100pp. It adds up! Sandals is not five-star luxurious: it is not on a par with a Four Seasons or the One and Only Ocean Club. If that is what you expect, go to one of those resorts. And while you're at it, double your budget. (Rooms at the Ocean Club start at $450...in low season.)
It is, however, very pleasant and lovely. Our room in the Windsor building was very spacious, comfortable, and nicely furnished. The marble bathroom has a very large tub. The bar was kept stocked, and they provided whatever we asked for. The first room we were given was on the west side of Windsor, and had a not-very-inspiring view of grass, palm trees, and a bit of the adjacent parking lot. We went back down, smiled, and politely asked the concierge for a room with a view of the water, and were moved without hesitation.
The food and the service were good to very good. The food was better when we ate at the Cafe at Atlantis, but it was also fairly expensive: $55 for lunch for two, with iced tea. If you go there, have the crab cakes. Delicious.
Service was generally very friendly. The pools were great: two huge ones, with hot tubs scattered around, and really big swim-up bars. However, the real stand-out operation of Sandals is the water sports team. We elected to get open-water diving certification, which is a 4-day process of in-pool training, watching videos, reading the certification book, open water-dives and a final test. It costs $350 at Sandals, same as anywhere else. The dive instructors were absolutely oustanding: smart, professional, patient, fun, and above all, safe. My husband got kind of panicky about taking his mask off underwater; believe me, it's easy to! He had to stop in the middle of the first underwater lesson, and I was afraid he wouldn't be able to finish. But Ethan Danes, our instructor, continued the lesson with me and the other student, and then told me to leave him alone with my husband and come back after lunch. He then spent two solid hours with Stephen, very patiently getting him used to the equipment and doing the skills underwater, until Stephen was completely comfortable and his anxiety was gone. He and our other instructor, Santiba, were just surperb. We had a blast diving - absolutely loved it.
If you have an open water certification, you have unlimited dives for free. It's a great deal. If you don't, you can take the three-hour resort course for free, and do shallow dives only.
We never made it out to the island; we were too busy with the scuba. However, the water was lovely on the beach: crystal clear, 84 degrees, and no surf, so it was easy to enter and exit. There's even good snorkeling on the right-hand beach near the rocks. We brought our own snorkel gear:apparently, you have to unless you're on the snorkel trip.
We're not night people, but enjoyed playing pool and hanging out in the bar near the piano player. All in all a great honeymoon; we would recommend Sandals Royal Bahamian without hesitation.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort And Offshore Island
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island Hotel Nassau
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island Hotel
- Sandals Bahamas
- Sandals Royal Bahamian
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Cable Beach
- Sandals Bahamian
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island Bahamas/Nassau
- Sandal Resort Bahamas
- Sandal Royal Bahamian
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •New, extra comfortable, ultra luxurious Day Beds added poolside on Sandals Cay •Sandals Cay now has Zen Spa and Fire Pits.-----•Butler Service, 24-Hour Room Service, and Rolls Royce or Mercedes Transfers for select suite categories. •Over 10,000 sq. ft. of the Island’s most impressive Freshwater Pools•Sandals Cay – Nassau’s only resort with Private Offshore Island & Restaurant.•Ten Dining Options featuring an array of cuisine from French to Bahamian. •Minutes away from excellent duty free shopping in Downtown Nassau on Bay Street and world class gambling on Paradise Island.•Weekly Late night decadent Chocolate Buffet offering specialty coffee •Voted Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row. •Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row. •Voted Sandals Royal Bahamian “Bahamas’ Leading Spa Resort”. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Amex, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.