“Trust me, the Butlers are worth the upgraded price.....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Save Saved
You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$110 Early Booking Bonus!
Ranked #2 of 33 hotels in Nassau
Charlotte
“Trust me, the Butlers are worth the upgraded price.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

My husband and I booked this long weekend simply as a quick get away to refuel our gas tanks from our corporate America life. We have traveled to numerous adults-only, all-inclusive resorts before and we're not expecting perfection.....just a few days in the sun, beautiful ocean, good drinks and no drama from resorts with children around: that's exactly what we got.

I agree with the other comments I've seen, the food isn't great by any means. Some meals I left hungry because I didn't like my food. That being said, Baccarat restaurant was great and the service from Vincent, was the best we had in the restaurants. But again, we didn't go to the Bahamas to have 5-star dining experiences....we could have stayed home for that. Remember the crystal blue waters?? Yeah.....THAT, AND they have a private beach island that is a 2 minute boat-ride away, with cabanas, swim-up bar and restaurant. That's why you go to the Bahamas.

The best part of the trip (outside of the ocean) were our butlers......getting a butler suite was WELL worth the price. Serente, Orlando and Moral were assigned to us and were amazing, professional, hysterical and made us feel like we were royalty. A special thank you to Vincent, the butler who was not assigned to us, yet treated us like gold every time we saw him.
Why butlers you ask?? Private transportation to and from the airport (if you are like me, I don't handle crowded, smelly buses very well), assistance with luggage, a person assigned to you that can get you anything you want and ANY time (complete with small cell phone given to you for such requests) reserved cabanas on the private island and they can walk you to dinner so that you get to eat in whatever restaurant you want, even if no reservations are available.

Bottom line is besides the beautiful crystal blue waters, Serente, Orlando and Moral (and Vincent) made our trip well worth it......thank you guys for being so fun, so welcoming and, although my husband does a pretty good job of it, you made me feel like a princess. Sandals.....don't lose these guys, they are contributing to your bottom line more than you know!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

5,105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Polish first
Ryde, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Having never been to a sandals we paid a lot of money to spend 12 nights here and to be honest we did expect more. We have been to many all inclusive adults only resorts for less money and have received far better service and food.
Good points - staff are very friendly, shervin and dion in the piano bar were excellent and always kept your drink full. Richard who worked round the pool was always polite and helpful. Bullet and Kendall the playmakers were great fun and interacted well with guests. All other staff were very friendly.
Pizzas and afternoon tea were lovely, the beach is beautiful and the island is a nice getaway. We enjoyed our time around the pool and baccarat restaurant was amazing- order the beef as it was delicious ! The piano bar and sing along at night was fun too.
Loved the two sweet cats we occasionally saw ! they were very popular with all the guests ! It's great to see resort staff are kind to them and makes such a difference compared to other resorts. (And they keep other cats/rodents away)
Bad points- the food was really not great. The first night in the Italian the anti pasti was great but my pasta was a cold congealed lump that was really not edible. Spices was ok but all pre cooked food in heated containers. Nothing is cooked fresh as all courses will come out within seconds. I also got horrendous food poisoning for 3 days from the crab sandwich at the grill so be warned as I heard other guests the following day saying they had been sick since eating there.... I would say baccarat and crystal room were the best of the restaurants.
Our mini bar in our room was never restocked. The spirits were about a quarter full when we arrived. The staff member who showed us to our room said he would get them changed. They weren't but when we had finished them we had to call for 6 days to get them replaced.... The corridor outside the room was always dirty and looked like it had never been hoovered and the turn down service was hit and miss. The pool water was always quite dirty and looked like it needed cleaning more at night as some days it was full of scum and dead flies.

Other points, we headed to nassau town on the bus for $1.25. We looked in the straw market and other touristy shops and bought a few bits. If you are there please think twice about taking a surrey horse and cart ride. It was scorching on the day we were there, the horses looked emaciated and could barely pull the carts. There was no water/food for them that we could see and they were in the middle of nassau in all the smog and fumes. I was told they have a miserable existence there :( I know other guests felt the same.
Beach is stunning at sandals and we enjoyed the piano bar but the resort could be so much better if the food and service was a better level ! Not worth the thousands we paid sadly.

• Stayed July 2014
Saffa in London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I are independent travellers and were hesitant booking an all-inclusive for our honeymoon. The Sandals brand speaks for itself and it did not disappoint us at all.

The service, restaurant choice, entertainment, staff and water sport options were excellent. The offshore island has a good restaurant, swim up bar, nice beaches and secluded huts.

We also caught a bus into Nassau from outside the hotel and visited Atlantis as a daytrip.

We highly recommend Sandals for your honeymoon and it is worth every penny as there is not much more you could ask for once you arrive.

To be honest, it spoils any other future all inclusive holidays…

Room Tip: Any room will do
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Prairie Village, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Selected Sandals vs Mexico. Arrived for 10th anniversary & my 40th bday for 7 nights. Rohan and Natasha at front desk, Alesia, and Trent (bags) helped us upgrade to a BEAUTIFUL ROOM. Service is A+++++

Room Tip: Free wifi in certain packages/rooms. Rooms always clean. Corner/ocean view was spectacular. Great po...
Bronxville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Recently we spent a day at Sandals. Our day pass was good for 10 am to 6 pm. We actually stayed at Sandals Antigua a year earlier for our honeymoon. We were highly impressive with our previous stay in Antigua and it seemed that this Sandals is just as awesome. Beautiful clear water beaches, beautiful clean property, good food and drinks are all included. Unlike the Atlantis hotel (we had a day pass for this property two days earlier) which is extremely large, busy, and seems impersonal, Sandals is for honeymooners and couples who want to be away from the crowds in an romantic space. The Atlantis day pass was also limited in that we did not have access to all food options.

What really impressed us was that we felt that we were actually guest during our brief visit to the property. First off, Sandals does not require day guests to wear a wristband or anything else to identify them as day pass guest. All you have to do is leave your id at the reception desk when you arrive. From that point forward, you have access to basically everything...all the pools, bars, restaurants, beach areas, activities, and even access to the private island via the hourly ferry. Staff there were extremely attentive to us and made us feel welcomed in several ways:

1. Everyone greeted us with a smile and a warm hello
2. They provided us with drinks on the beach several times in a timely fashion
3. Asked if we were ok and needed anything else several times
4. At the end of our stay, reception folks stated that they would love to see us in the future for a full stay and it seemed more genuine than a sales pitch

Our experience at this particular Sandals has us thinking that when we do revisit Sandals (and we do plan to), we would definitely consider this location for our stay.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Return visit to this property 5 years later, for our 10th anniversary. Rooms have been renovated to exceptional status. Came back mainly because the beauty of the property will yield some of the best vacation photos you have ever taken. Historic resort originally built in the 40's with spectacular updates. Stayed in a honeymoon swim up butler suite. Just opened those rooms in Feb 2014, highly recommend. Butlers Vincent and Dahai had the perfect blend of professionalism and friendliness this American appreciates. They and the F&B team made sure there were gluten free options front and center, at every meal. Vincent's attention to detail & dedication spoiled us! Gordon's on the Pier restaurant is now my gold standard for seafood. There were more alcohol options than 5 years ago but be prepared, there are not as many options as you would expect in the US. You can have any type of alcohol, but they may not have your favorite brand. Secretly hoping my wife asks me to take her back again.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I spent 5 nights at this Sandals resort, July 20 through July 25, 2014 and for those who want the summary, I'll give that first. More details will follow after.

Pros:
1) Very clean. There were people sweeping, painting, cleaning all the time. For a resort being on the ocean with sandy beaches their persistent upkeep is wonderful.
2) Good food. The breakfast buffet has everything from bagels to scrambled eggs to French toast to pancakes to fruit to bacon and sausage with biscuits. Lunch and dinner is equally impressive and very good quality. Prepare to be impressed.
3) Friendly. Everyone will greet you and say hello. For a group of workers dressed formally walking around in the heat/humidity their attitude and demeanor was really nice and very sincere about wanting us to have a good time.
4) Safety. I have never felt threatened at any of the Sandals resorts and this resort certainly had security actively walking around and clearly identified. Unlike other resorts, this one didn't have locals paddling up in little boats while you were sitting on the beach or a pier. The bellboys didn't ask for cigarettes. Nassau certainly has it's shopping and the vendors will inquire but they were not nearly as aggressive as other places I have been.

Cons:
1) Sandals is known for their 5 star restaurants and even with staying there a week we were only able to get into 1 of the reservation only restaurants. We had a similar experience on our previous Sandals vacation finding all the reservation restaurants booked for our entire stay. Surely this could be better as it's part of the trip we hate to miss. Of course, if you read my comments above I'll confirm we certainly didn't go hungry and the food quality and service of the other restaurants was impeccable.
2) The O-rings on the Scuba tanks were rather corroded. On practically all of the dives I would count at least half the divers with fizz coming from the tank and 1st stage connection. For the quality of the place this did bother me. No one blew an O-ring during a dive but I felt such basic maintenance should be better.
3) The DM presence when boarding the boat I thought was light. I have worked as a DM/AI and am a diver of 33 years and was a little surprised when there were not people standing over the ladders to grab fins and ensure everyone made it up the ladder. That can be a difficult task for even an experienced diver in pitching seas.

Overall:
As I proof read my comments above I hope I am not coming across as harsh on the scuba team. Every dive was well lead and the DM in the water was certainly paying attention to us. On the day there was a large group of experienced divers we had 2 DM's in the water- one on front and one in the rear. The new divers were always a smaller group led with their own DM. The pre dive summaries were good, and they had a numbering system to account for the divers and always had role call after every dive. For all my diving I managed to get a fin caught on a metal bracket as I was stretching for a giant stride entry. I swear I was falling for 10 minutes. I wasn't hurt and did have people over to help me quickly. Such things can happen to anyone.

Otherwise, yes... If you are thinking about going you can't go wrong with this one. This is my second Sandals vacation and I will definitely be going back. Good job Sandals. Thanks for the memories and even though it was really hard to leave, it is nice to be home. More details on the trip below.

More details:
The resort is almost a U with the Balmoral tower on one side and the Windsor on the other. There are also private villas south of the Windsor. The beach faces north so when you are picking your room, and you want a balcony, the outer rooms of the Balmoral and the inside rooms of the Windsor get the morning sun. We stayed in the Balmoral tower 4th floor in a Club level room and since we were on the inside of the Balmoral our balcony was unsittable in the afternoon. But, it was good for drying towels, swimsuits, etc. We met people who stayed in the Villas and they spoke very highly of them. Our room was fantastic. I'll post a picture that shows our exact room location.

If your are club level or higher make sure you check with the concierge for the additional trips and things you have access to.

In the afternoons and evenings the Windsor pool had the activities and tended to be louder. If pool activities are your thing stay in the Windsor. The Balmoral was very quiet in the evening with the exception of the piano bar. My wife and I would sit just outside the piano bar and listen to the people sing with the pianist. Hilarious as the night drew on... "Thing me a thong your the piano mahn!" You can't hear the piano bar unless your in there, or sitting just outside.

The Balmoral pool is a good 250' long and 150' wide at it's width. Should you get a little too much sun an evening swim is recommended. The cool pool will take the heat right out of the sunburn. The Balmoral pool also had a sitting area under a 4' waterfall and the massage on the shoulders from the cool water is recommended. The Windsor pool was a little smaller, but plenty big and with the swim up bars you are guaranteed to have a good time.

The boat to the private island leaves every hour from 10am to 5pm. The private island has a nice restaurant and is reservation only in the evenings. The beach and swimming on the private island is really nice and usually very private. Definitely check out the island.

If you are a snorkeler I highly recommend you bring your own mask/fin/snorkel. The dive shop will only issue you snorkel gear if you attend their supervised snorkel. That's nice, but only amounts to 25 minutes in the water. With your own gear you can get in the water on the north side of the private island and there are 2 sand bars close to swim too and snorkel. My wife and I went during low tide and realized you can basically walk it. So, at any time you can stand up and rest. In some places you can even sit and be in chest deep water. Please don't walk it though. You are swimming over a life reef and everything you step on and crush will die. There are also sea urchins aplenty.

The snorkeling off the island is really nice. We say barracuda, lobster, multitude of fish. Put some pieces of bread in an empty water bottle, put the cap back on, and you have fish food for when you are ready. Lot's of people who stayed to the left while snorkeling saw sea turtles. We happened to stay right and saw the lobster and other critters. One lobster was a solid 12 lbs and came out from under his ledge to say hello. Really cool.

If you want to shop take bus 10 (NOT 10a, 10b, etc.) It will take you to the market after a 20 minute ride and costs US$1.25 per person. You pay when you get off. They drop you off and there will be a bus 10 waiting when you return from shopping. It's a tourist town and when we were downtown there were 3 cruise ships in port so lot's of people. There is a Hard Rock Café in Nassau and our kids loved the shirts we brought them.

Scuba leaves at 10am on Monday's and 9am every other day. Check-in 30 minutes prior and you can get any gear you may not have brought. It's a 2 tank dive trip and is your typical resort dive... about 30 minutes in length with the deeper dive first. Lot's or wreck diving but the wall dive I did was incredible. Down to about 80' and then a flat out drop to (I was told) 6000'. Very impressive. I saw sharks and turtle, rays, and your other typical ocean fish. Very nice diving. There is fire coral around.

Overall, I stand by my 5 star rating of this resort. You can always find something to nit-pick about but if you go, you are getting a staff of people committed to doing anything to make your stay better. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: More noise from pool and evening activities on the Windsor side. Balmoral is quieter.