“Would love to go again...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$305 Spa or Tour Credit!
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Texas
“Would love to go again...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We have stayed here twice. Once for our honeymoon and again five years later. Both times we had a great experience. The off shore island is by far the best part of this resort. The second time we stayed in a butler room with a balcony facing the water. It was beautiful and the butler service was a nice perk. Our first visit we had trouble booking dinner reservations but the second time around we did that first thing and avoided the headache.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,096)
  • Polish first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Sandals Royal Bahamian this past week. We checked in on Monday, 7/14 and departed Friday, 7/18. During our stay we had a very frustrating time arranging our dinner reservations and getting consistent information from all the staff that was assisting us. Upon arrival in Nassau we found out that US Airlines had lost our luggage. We spent some time at the airport dealing with that and finally arrived at Sandals after 5pm. After getting checked in to our room in the Windsor building we visited the Club Sandals desk to arrange our dinner reservations for the week. We told the lady assisting us that we wanted reservations at Baccarat and Kimono's. We also mentioned that we were attending the welcome back dinner on Wednesday evening so our reservations need to be on Tuesday and Thursday only. We were told that the dinner reservations desk had closed for the day but she would set our reservations when they opened Tuesday morning. We let her know that we were leaving for an excursion Tuesday morning at 7:30am and would not be arriving back to the room until at least 5:00pm. She assured us that was no problem and that someone would leave a message for us letting us know where our Tuesday evening reservations would be. Upon arriving back from our excursion on Tuesday evening we did not have any messages about our dinner reservations. I called the concierge and was told that the dinner reservation office had closed for the day and there was no way to find out where our reservation was for. I was very frustrated and asked multiple times what we should do and was told that there was nothing we could do except go eat at a restaurant that did not require reservations instead. After that phone call we walked down to the Club Sandals desk in our building to speak with someone in person about the problem. The lady working was able to figure it out for us and let us know we were scheduled for Kimono's that evening. I then asked her what our Thursday reservation was for since we had yet to hear about that one as well. She told us that since the dinner reservation desk was closed she would have to find out for us on Wednesday and let us know. Again, we were told someone would call our room and leave us a message to let us know about our reservation. My husband and I spent Wednesday at the pool and at the private island and returned to back to our room in time to attend the Welcome Back dinner we were scheduled for on Wednesday evening. Once back in the room we had a message saying our dinner reservation for Baccarat was that evening. Once again we had to call the concierge to try to correct the mistake that Sandals made. Since it was after 5pm we were once again told there was nothing that could be done. For the 3rd day in a row we had to walk down to the Club Sandals desk and was told there was nothing they could do and we would just have to check back in the morning when the dinner reservation desk opened. First thing Thursday morning we walked back down to the Club Sandals desk for the 4th day in a row to deal with the dinner reservation issue we were told would be taken care of on Monday when we arrived. We were told there was nothing they could do and that Baccarat was booked for the evening. We explained our situation about how we made a point to take care of all of this as soon as we arrived at the resort and how Sandals was the one that made the mistake and made our reservation on a night we specifically told them we already had plans. We were then told that there was nothing they could do and that some guests never get to eat at the restaurants because they fill up quickly. I assume that was supposed to make us feel better or justify the situation but it actually just made it worst. I understand some guests miss out on the restaurants because they do not make reservations early enough. If that had been what we did then I would understand. We did the exact opposite. We did everything we were supposed to do to get our reservations and Sandals did not follow through on their end. We spent more time calling and going back and forth to the Club Sandals desk trying to correct a mistake made my Sandals than we did being able to just relax and have a carefree vacation. When booking with Sandals I did not expect to have to work so much on my vacation. I was very disappointed in the service and communication regarding our dinner reservations. Another problem we had was in the gift shop. Once we informed the staff Monday evening at check in that our luggage had been lost they said that the gift shop would give a 10% discount on any items we had to buy as a replacement. My husband and I mentioned this to the gift shop staff and was told that was incorrect. After some back and forth phone calls regarding the issue we were told we would get the 10% discount. We replaced toiletry items, swimsuits, and a beach bag that would be needed for an excursion we already had planned and paid for on Tuesday. The beach bag was advertised as being 15% off. I was not given the 15% off for the bag and we also did not receive 10% off on all the other items like we were told. At this point I was tired of fighting it after our long day of traveling and just wanted to relax so I did not push the issue. Not only was our luggage lost but Sandals just made the situation worse by taking advantage of our misfortune by not standing by their word and providing us with the service we were told we would receive. The last issue we had was in the photo shop. We received a letter regarding Club Sandals perks and discounts that stated we would get $10 off any photo shop order over $100. My husband and I spent $145 in the photo shop and when I mentioned the discount I was told there was no discount. I pushed the issue and mentioned again about the letter I had in my room stating otherwise. The lady helping us then went to talk to her manager and came back saying she could give us a $5 discount. I said that was not correct and walked all the way back to my room to get the letter that had the information listed. As soon as I got back to the photo shop with proof of the $10 off I was then given it. I feel like that was a hassle that no guest should have to be subject to. If we are told one thing then we should receive it. I should not have to argue or deal with the hassle of walking all around the resort, talking with 3-4 different people, etc to receive the service I was originally told I would have. It makes a guest feel like Sandals is trying to take advantage of them and that the guest is not intelligent enough to know what service they were entitled to. A guest should never be made to feel like that after spending the type of money we spend to stay at Sandals. While this was my second stay at Sandals and prior to my arrival I had plans to keep visiting all the resorts Sandals has to offer I am now thinking it may be my last trip to a Sandals. There was just too much hassle, deceit, and I had to spend too much time following up and correcting Sandals staff mistakes when all I really wanted to do was relax and enjoy my vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Andrea,
Thank you for reaching out to us about your stay at Sandals Royal Bahamian. It is truly disappointing to know that you had this experience at our resort. We always want to ensure that we’re offering the highest standard of customer service and your comments indicate that there is much room for improvement, especially within our communication process. I will be sending your comments to the management team for immediate evaluation and action as needed so that we many ensure we don not receive similar feedback in the future. I have also sent you a private message for a few additional details about your stay in order to investigate the matter further and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
oakville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Attended as part of a destination wedding set up by Renee Cannon, Marlin Travel, Oakville.
From arrival to departure the service was first class from our butlers Kenese and Nitika. Nothing was too much trouble.
The food was very good this time, with themed buffets and quality restaurants. The wedding itself in the gardens was amazing and the wedding staff did a fabulous job putting it all together.
The grounds were impeccable and good entertainment each night
Mr.Drake, the Gen Mgr should take great pride in the staff he has assembled here and as we are only a 3hr flight from Toronto-we will be back

Room Tip: the newly renovated Balmoral building is clean and fresh The older Windsor building needs some impr...
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Better options on Nassau/paradise island. Cheesy attmosphere. Rude staff. Below average food & watered down drinks. The best part of this resort is the private island. 5*price, 2*resort
Grounds are well maintained and rooms are specious and clean

• Stayed August 2013
Hello Michelle,

Thank you for your review. We regret to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations. Because of that, please accept my apologies. It is always our goal to provide an exceptional product and high level of service, and we take very seriously any comments that indicate that we were not successful in that endeavor. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a future stay with us.
Humble, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Royal Bahamian was our third Sandals resort to visit and I have to say, it was the best (prior two being Emerald Bay and St. Lucia). One of the staff members (Khethino Cadet, or "Tino") made the experience truly memorable. You can meet him at "Cricketers" bar - truly made us feel at home.

Room Tip: First floor (beach walk out) is the way to go!
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

After three weeks of traveling from San Francisco to Las Vegas we were ready for our week in paradise!!!
However when we got there we found it was not quite the paradise we had been looking forward too!
We were put in one of the Villas and told this was an upgrade, yes the room was spacious and the mini bar was stacked with branded spirits however they were the only positives.
We felt that the room was very dated, the bath was stained and when you turned the shower on (every time) the water came out brown, you definitely would not want a bath in there!!!
On two separate occasions we found that there were lizards on the wall in the bedroom and if that wasn't bad enough every morning when we woke up we would have been bitten!!!

The pools were both lovely and the staff working there were excellent extremely friendly and always happy to help! The one complaint about the pool area was that there was never enough towels by 1pm they would have ran out by both pools which was slightly annoying!!!

We both felt that the food let the hotel down dramatically, in 6 nights we only had one nice meal and that was at Baccarat. We felt at the other restaurants the food was served either cold or warm it was NEVER hot!! From choosing your starter this was served to you within 2 minutes of ordering it and then your main course would arrive immediately after it was clear that the food is prepared in bulk and heated up, it never tasted fresh which resulted in the food being left and is having late snacks at the cricketers pub!!!
The best food there was the pizza station and the afternoon tea which you would not mind of you were not spending thousands of pounds to spend a week in luxury!!
If your thinking of going there looking for paradise I would strongly consider looking elsewhere!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Wrexham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We travelled to the Bahamas with British airways as a belated honeymoon and stayed at the Royal Bahamian, its the first time we have stayed in a sandals resort and was not sure what to expect, as the reviews were mixed. We stayed for 10 nights in a cottage style room, it was overlooking the gardens which I didn't mind as it was very quiet and peaceful. Many travellers preferred a room with a sea view, and were asking to upgrade but the rooms were really comfortable and had everything we needed. The room was cleaned regularly, the only gripe I would have is the mini bar was stocked for a couple of days and then we had to ask when it ran low. We had a pool to ourselves most days, these are dotted around the cottages, as most people went to the big pool or the beach. It felt like we had our own villa!!

The food was fine for us, and we did not have a problem booking the restaurants. Spices restaurant was the best I think personally, the service was great and the staff always seemed genuinely pleased to see you. You don't have to worry about a thing at sandals just relax and enjoy your holiday. We met some great people from Canada and the USA, and had many a good night at the cricketers pub!!

Overall a great holiday, would definitely go to another Sandals resort.

British airways were a let down, they lost my luggage on the way out and it did not arrive for 3 days, and going back home even though I had booked and paid for my seats, we had to wait two hours to see if we could get on the plane as they had over booked, a regular thing apparently, we eventually got on the plane but not the seats I paid for. Not the service I expected really, would rather have gone with easy jet!

Room Tip: The cottages are quieter and very pretty, still the same luxury I think!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple