“A belated honeymoon getaway!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Save Saved
You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to $755 Air Credit!!
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Wrexham
“A belated honeymoon getaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We travelled to the Bahamas with British airways as a belated honeymoon and stayed at the Royal Bahamian, its the first time we have stayed in a sandals resort and was not sure what to expect, as the reviews were mixed. We stayed for 10 nights in a cottage style room, it was overlooking the gardens which I didn't mind as it was very quiet and peaceful. Many travellers preferred a room with a sea view, and were asking to upgrade but the rooms were really comfortable and had everything we needed. The room was cleaned regularly, the only gripe I would have is the mini bar was stocked for a couple of days and then we had to ask when it ran low. We had a pool to ourselves most days, these are dotted around the cottages, as most people went to the big pool or the beach. It felt like we had our own villa!!

The food was fine for us, and we did not have a problem booking the restaurants. Spices restaurant was the best I think personally, the service was great and the staff always seemed genuinely pleased to see you. You don't have to worry about a thing at sandals just relax and enjoy your holiday. We met some great people from Canada and the USA, and had many a good night at the cricketers pub!!

Overall a great holiday, would definitely go to another Sandals resort.

British airways were a let down, they lost my luggage on the way out and it did not arrive for 3 days, and going back home even though I had booked and paid for my seats, we had to wait two hours to see if we could get on the plane as they had over booked, a regular thing apparently, we eventually got on the plane but not the seats I paid for. Not the service I expected really, would rather have gone with easy jet!

Room Tip: The cottages are quieter and very pretty, still the same luxury I think!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (975)
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed: July 10-14

Room type: Windsor corner swim up suite with butler service

View: a five foot wall and apartment complex next door. Also, on the other side of the wall is where the day vendors park and sell goods so it gets pretty noisy.

Water sports (included): lots of fun! We tried water trike, paddle boards, kayaks, and wind surfing. You need a lesson on windsurfing and sailing before you can check those out. We checked out all activities on our own instead of using the butler for this, there were no waits or lines.

Snorkeling: .
If you want to snorkel around the beaches, you have to bring your own snorkel and mask. My husband ordered a prescription mask online for $50 and snorkel separately from Amazon. He was thrilled he did. He said it worked great. I thought I could just check some out at the water sports desk. you can't.They are available to purchase at the gift shop for $30. The butler said the dive shop across the street has them cheaper. We walked over there but they were closed, so we just paid the $30 at the gift shop. I am terrified of the ocean, and didn't think I would like this, but my husband really wanted me to try. I am so glad I did! We saw so many beautiful fish around the rocks on the beach. The snorkeling was even better at the private island, but again you need your own gear. There are a few snorkel trips per day you can sign up for (mask and snorkel included). You need to sign up a day prior as they fill up quickly. By the time I got the nerve to do this, we missed the opportunity.

Jellyfish: A woman asked us about the jellyfish. She was afraid to swim because a staff member warned her of the jellyfish. We were really surprised by this. Yes, there are jelly fish, and yes we were stung a few times. But the sting only felt like a horse fly bite, and didn't last longer then five or six minutes. By the time you got out of the water and made it to your beach bag to get anti-sting gel, the stinging sensation was gone. I guess we are used to the ones in Galveston, Texas that sting for days.

Bugs: BRING DEET!!!! The no see em's (sand fleas or what ever you want to call them) are awful! So are the mosquitoes. I wore 100% deet (available on amazon in a small pump bottle) in the morning and at night and never got bit. Until the last day when I packed it up and came home with 30 bites.

The private island: Amazing! Great snorkeling, Stew Fish is simple but fantastic! Everything we ordered tasted great. The first ferry will take you over at 10, the bar doesn't open until 11, and stew fish doesn't open until 11:30 so don't skip breakfast and bring some bottled water! Also there is a dress code even for lunch which we thought was funny. Everyone goes to the island during the day to snorkel and swim yet you can't eat unless you are fully covered. I had on a bikini top and put a pair of shorts on over my bikini bottoms and they wouldn't let us in. I called our butler ( he is the one who suggested we leave our beach cabana and enjoy the snorkeling off the island), and he said to tell them our butler said to let us eat lunch. The host said the butlers only think they have authority and we need to follow the rules. I would have if I knew them. I was starving and ready to just get on a ferry back, when a waiter felt sorry for us and let us eat if I wrapped myself in a towel. I felt really bad, I don't actually like breaking rules, and was unaware and surprised by this rule. Especially since the bathrooms for the island are in the restaurant and people constantly parade through in bikinis and speedos.
tl;dr: Bring water, and cover ups to the island

Butler service: You are assigned three butlers and given a phone to contact them if you need anything. We only met two of our butlers. Mark was wonderful! We didn't call very much. We mostly just wanted to make sure we had cabanas reserved, and could eat at Gordan's. Mark would call us to make sure we were ok, and said we should utilize him more often. He would just show up with fresh drinks if we hadn't called in a while. He told us our reservations for all of our dinners on the first night. The night we were to eat at Gordan's, it stormed and we ended up at Baccarat. It was delicious, and also our reservation for the next night. The next night we had a different butler who let us know our reservation was at 6 pm. Unfortunately he told us at 6:10 pm, and we were originally told on the first day it was at 8 pm, so we ended up at Casanovas at 7 pm. This was the only real hic up, and seemed like miscommunication.
There is a separate butler on the island. I'm not sure what her name was. She was mildly rude, and seemed annoyed all day. We just got our own drinks and food the days we went to the island, and the second day, we found our own cabana instead reserving one through the butler.
If we decide to go to sandals again, we wouldn't get the butler service. It seams like if you get up early enough (we do) there are plenty of places to sit, and towels available on the beaches. And if you don't mind where you eat (we did see a lot of people get bumped on reservations if they didn't have a butler) then you really don't need one. Plus I didn't really like paying so much more money to be treated rudely by the island butler, and the island is where we spent most of the time.

The Staff: They aren't rude, but they aren't happy to be there either. The staff at the swim up bars are the worst (they were actually rude! Unless the boss was walking around, then it was all smiles and jokes) God forbid if you ask for a recommendation, they will just yell at you to know what you want. You are better off asking other guests what they are drinking, what to see, and where to go. There were a few exceptions, Rishod at Baccarat, the waiter at Stew fish, and Mark the Butler were all very nice and friendly. They seemed to really enjoy their jobs and working with people.

Overall we loved the Bahamas. I only mention the few nagging negatives, because that is what trip adviser is for. So you can be aware and avoid any hassles on your trip. Some really big positives; the water is beautiful, the food tastes good, it's relaxing, and there is a lot to do if you don't want to relax. not to mention, no kids is a huge plus! We would definitely recommend a room with a view before a swim up room, and look forward to our next trip to paradise.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms have no view and vendors on the other side of the wall are noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were so fortunate to have Everette, Dillon & Antonio as our butlers. They were fabulous! Went above and beyond to make our stay special. Our only complaint was that our room was very noisy. The hallways echoed and we constantly heard doors slamming and talking. Overall, a fabulous honeymoon!

Stayed July 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We are experienced Sandals vacationers (Grande Riviera, Grande St Lucian, Antigua, Exuma) so my review is based on previous experiences. We chose this resort because of ease of transportation for a quick end of spring getaway to simply relax and SCUBA dive.

The rooms were amazing, clean, large, modern, and easily accessible and near the beach and pools. We had a walk-out butler room on the ground level of Balmoral Tower (114 I think). The staff were great, our butlers were phenomenal. The dive staff were great, loved hanging out with them on the boat.

However, the food was suboptimal in all the restaurants including their so-called 5 star dining area. It wasn't bad food, just boring and uninteresting.

The diving was OK, not much to see in the reefs, some good wreck. Absolutely do the shark dive with Sandals - it was a amazing. The snorkelling and diving overlap so only 1-2 days could we do both, which was an issue for my wife who doesn't dive.

Lastly, the main downside for us may not be a problem for others...this resort is in Nassau and you see and know that wherever you go. There is no feeling of "getting away', no sense of paradise.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Wakefield, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 weeks here in April 2014, what a place,10 restaurants, 2 huge pools, food mostly white glove service and top class, as it was our 3rd visit to a sandals resort they gave us a premier room but unfortunately we turned it down it had no balcony only a window with a fly mesh on it, as we like to sit out at night, they did move us the following day to a room with a patio. Excellent holiday.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We cannot say enough wonderful things about our week long trip to Sandals Royal Bahamian. The entire staff was amazing but our butlers were top notch! A BIG shout out to Dahi, Vincent and Saronte who provided service and hospitality beyond our wildest imagination. They literally take care of everything (dinner reservations, your chairs & towels by the pool/beach, endless drinks, food, room service, rose petal baths, chocolates on your pillow, book your spa appointment ,etc...) I cannot say enough about the wonderful service we received. I only hope that the management staff at Sandals will read this review and give Dahi, Vincent and Saronte the recognition they deserve. The property itself is breathtaking. We enjoyed every meal and managed to eat at every restaurant (thanks to our butlers who made all the reservations). The private island is a little piece of heaven. From the time we left the airport to the time we said goodbye to our new friends, I couldn't have asked for anything more. Sandals definitely gets it right!!! We did take a taxi over to Atlantis. It was so crowded and didn't feel like a beach resort at all! We were so miserable we left after about two hours. It was a huge contrast to the "feel" of Sandals. Best taxi money ever spent since I will NEVER ask to vacation there. Thanks again to Sandals and their butler staff-- you all are AMAZING!! ~ Emily M.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband and I have returned to different Sandals Resorts 14 times and this was our third trip to Royal Bahamian. We stayed from June 27th until July 6th. We have had butler service at other resort but found that the Butler Service at this resort was definitely lacking and I would not recommend it if you were planning a trip here.

The reason I say this is because when we first arrived, we were taken to the Butler Lounge where we sat with Diana, the Butler Manager who took our credit card information. We were sitting having a conversation and another couple who were returning guests came in and Diana jumped up out of her chair to welcome them in the middle of our conversation. She turned to us and said your Butler with be with you shortly and walked out with the other couple. I turned to my husband and said did that really just happen. It was so rude. We continued to sit there for 20 minutes until our Butler showed up and took us to our room. When we got there, he gave us our room keys and went through a folder in the room explaining their service which was fine but then he said that there were three envelopes in the folder for the Butler's tips and also said that 10% was recommened. I was so taken aback by this. I said would you prefer being tipped daily or at the end of the week and he said we would all prefer to be tipped at the end of the week which is fine but you would think the would really do their best so they get a good tip at the end of the week, He asked is anyone was celebrating a special occassion which my husband was celebrating his birthday the next day. Well the next day came and no mention of it. The Butler came to escort us to dinner on the first and last night but no nights in between. We asked one of the Butler's if he could getting us pricing so we could take a day trip to Exuma and he never did. I asked one of the other Butler's to reserve a spot at the pool in the shade and called him to find out where our spot was and he didn't answer the phone so I went to the pool and couldn't find the spot so I just found a spot. Two hours later he came around and I asked about the spot and he said I reserved you a spot on the other side of the pool but it looks like someone else must have taken it. I walked the whole pool area at 8:15 in the morning and there was never a spot reserved. On the last day, our Butler never even seen us off. I handed my phone in at the Butler office and we left. I definitely love Butler service but would NEVER spend the money to get it again at this resort.

Ok, now on to the good things! The resort is absolutely beautiful!! The view of the ocean is amazing, the pools are large and they never seem crowded. The food at all of the restaurants was delicious. The off shore island is peaceful and relaxing. The water sports are fun, especially paddle boarding. I just can't say enough about how great everything is.

We stayed in the new swim-up suites and they are good and bad. The room was beautiful but small and it did not have a bath tub. I really like the swim up suites but hated that you do not have a view at all. The description says view of zen garden but you are really facing a wall with some tropical plants in front of it and the apartment building next door. At times, it was very quiet and peaceful which I liked but as soon as there were people using the swim up pools, you could hear everything that they were saying if you were in your room with the slider closed. I said to my husband that I felt like I was getting old on this trip because there were a lot of young couples in some of the rooms and they decided that they would all meet back at the swim up suites at 9:30 a couple of nights to play beer bong. They would tak everyone's floaties from their patios and set them up in the pool as their beer bong table and then play all night. This would have been fun when I was in my 20's and I don't fault them for having fun but it's just not my thing being in my 40's and wanting a peaceful nights sleep. I also didn't like that they never put anyone's floaties back and just left them floating in the pool for the pool guy to pick up and put back.

Royal Bahamian is definitely a great resort and I think anyone would enjoy it but my two tips are not to waste your money on Butler Service. If you want excellent Butler Service, go to Antigua or Grenada. If you want a room with a beautiful view, pick on in the Balmoral Building. The views were spectacular and the rooms were much larger and less expensive than the swim up suites.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple