To start off with, I want to clearly outline that I am not the pciky traveler who goes around trying to find things wrong with a resort. I am very easy to please, but I have to safe I was pretty dissappointed with Sandals this time around. I visited Sandals Royal Bahamian back in 2000 and LOVED it the first time around. I have also been to Sandals Whitehouse, Le Toc in St. Lucia, Sandals Grande Antigua, Sandals Montegoy Bay and then back to Sandals Royal Bahamian this last time around. Total of 45 Sandals nights.
My biggest complaint was that the staff at the Royal Bahamian seemed like they just did not care whether or not you were there. Granted we had a couple of servers who were on top of their game and were very friendly, but we had more that were not nearly as friendly or helpful.
Key callouts - the Snack Cafe service was HORRIBLE - the servers spent more time talking with each other vs. taking care of their guests. My wife and I had finally placed our order and when it came, one of the items was missing. We made her aware of it and her response was no, you did not order that. Then magically 2 mins later, our item arrives as it had been sitting at the window. On a seperate visit, I went on the AM dives and then only had 30 mins before leaving for a speciality afternoon dive. I asked the server if there was anything I could get quickly like a hot dog or something like that - here again, I got a verbal no with a head shake.
The third example was at the pizza shop. They seemed like they could care less as well. They make smaller inidividual size pizzas and then a little larger ones for the speindle where you can help yourself. I asked if I could get a bigger one instead of two seperate ones for myself. Yet another NO.
The bar staff was infamous for basically talking with themselves and not really caring about quick friendly service. This was especially apparent at the pool bars.
The kicker for our trip was that we had a concierge level room with mini bar. Having been at other sandals, I knew what to expect. When we got in the room, the bottle of vodka was missing. I called down to concierge to ask for one to be brought up. It was brought up (unsealed) since all of the bottle come open with the toppers. It was a little cloudy but did not think twice. We made a couple of drinks that night and thought it was kind of week. Then two days later I made a very heavy vodka drink and could not believe how light it was. After smelling it and taking a small sip, my wife and I realized it had been refilled with WATER - god knows how long it was in there and why it was cloudy. I immediately went down to the concierge desk to complain about it and explain the situation. The concierge just offered to send another bottle of the cheap vodka up. I was irate so I went to the front desk. They said they would let the mini bar manager know and send a bottle up. Only thing that came out of it was a sealed bottle of the cheaper vodka sent up. NOTE to everyone - DO NOT DRINK THE UNSEALED BOTTLES - You do not know what has been done to them. Sandals needs to step up their game and switch over to the cases where the bottles cannot be tampered with.
The last area of service complaint was with the concierge. They are pretty much useless and spend all day talking on the phone. We dined at Baccarratt and loved it the first time so booked again and asked for a window seat. We were confirmed for the seat, but of course when we got there we were informed there was no way we could of got the window seat based on seating for that night and apologized for the concierage making that mistake.
The goods of the resort was that the food was great - we loved every restauratnt we ate at. Cassanova's has a nice large menu, Baccarratt is awesome, the Japanese place was really good and even though the snack bar service was horrible, the food was good.
Our room was in the windsor building with oceanview - we pretty much got what we booked and were fine with that. Don't expect a new modern room in the windsor building - if you want that, book in the higher priced balmoral building. We liked the location of the windsor building.
The dive team was great - Wenzel and Brian made the week fun. I did 10 total dives 2 of which were the speciality shark dive (they charge $105 for this two tank dive) but well worth it!!! Same dive as Stuarts gove but instead of the feeding, they just use a bait bucket - I felt more comfortable with this. The diving is what drove us to return to this location as Nassau has some amazing sites!!!
So overall I gave it a 3 out of 5 as the goods of the resort and food were significantly brought down by the horrible service. The Royal Bahamian is not like the super friendly resorts of Jamaica - I cannot say enough good things about how awesome the service is in Jamaica and how different it was here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •New, extra comfortable, ultra luxurious Day Beds added poolside on Sandals Cay •Sandals Cay now has Zen Spa and Fire Pits.-----•Butler Service, 24-Hour Room Service, and Rolls Royce or Mercedes Transfers for select suite categories. •Over 10,000 sq. ft. of the Island’s most impressive Freshwater Pools•Sandals Cay – Nassau’s only resort with Private Offshore Island & Restaurant.•Ten Dining Options featuring an array of cuisine from French to Bahamian. •Minutes away from excellent duty free shopping in Downtown Nassau on Bay Street and world class gambling on Paradise Island.•Weekly Late night decadent Chocolate Buffet offering specialty coffee •Voted Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row. •Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row. •Voted Sandals Royal Bahamian “Bahamas’ Leading Spa Resort”. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Despegar.com and Otel so you can book your Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island Hotel Nassau
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort And Offshore Island
- Sandals Bahamas
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Cable Beach
- Sandals Bahamian
- Sandal Resort Bahamas
- Sandal Royal Bahamian
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island Bahamas/Nassau