“Not The Greatest Service - Dissappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Save Saved
You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$150 Spa Credit!!
Ranked #2 of 33 hotels in Nassau
Aurora, Illinois
“Not The Greatest Service - Dissappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

To start off with, I want to clearly outline that I am not the pciky traveler who goes around trying to find things wrong with a resort. I am very easy to please, but I have to safe I was pretty dissappointed with Sandals this time around. I visited Sandals Royal Bahamian back in 2000 and LOVED it the first time around. I have also been to Sandals Whitehouse, Le Toc in St. Lucia, Sandals Grande Antigua, Sandals Montegoy Bay and then back to Sandals Royal Bahamian this last time around. Total of 45 Sandals nights.

My biggest complaint was that the staff at the Royal Bahamian seemed like they just did not care whether or not you were there. Granted we had a couple of servers who were on top of their game and were very friendly, but we had more that were not nearly as friendly or helpful.

Key callouts - the Snack Cafe service was HORRIBLE - the servers spent more time talking with each other vs. taking care of their guests. My wife and I had finally placed our order and when it came, one of the items was missing. We made her aware of it and her response was no, you did not order that. Then magically 2 mins later, our item arrives as it had been sitting at the window. On a seperate visit, I went on the AM dives and then only had 30 mins before leaving for a speciality afternoon dive. I asked the server if there was anything I could get quickly like a hot dog or something like that - here again, I got a verbal no with a head shake.

The third example was at the pizza shop. They seemed like they could care less as well. They make smaller inidividual size pizzas and then a little larger ones for the speindle where you can help yourself. I asked if I could get a bigger one instead of two seperate ones for myself. Yet another NO.

The bar staff was infamous for basically talking with themselves and not really caring about quick friendly service. This was especially apparent at the pool bars.

The kicker for our trip was that we had a concierge level room with mini bar. Having been at other sandals, I knew what to expect. When we got in the room, the bottle of vodka was missing. I called down to concierge to ask for one to be brought up. It was brought up (unsealed) since all of the bottle come open with the toppers. It was a little cloudy but did not think twice. We made a couple of drinks that night and thought it was kind of week. Then two days later I made a very heavy vodka drink and could not believe how light it was. After smelling it and taking a small sip, my wife and I realized it had been refilled with WATER - god knows how long it was in there and why it was cloudy. I immediately went down to the concierge desk to complain about it and explain the situation. The concierge just offered to send another bottle of the cheap vodka up. I was irate so I went to the front desk. They said they would let the mini bar manager know and send a bottle up. Only thing that came out of it was a sealed bottle of the cheaper vodka sent up. NOTE to everyone - DO NOT DRINK THE UNSEALED BOTTLES - You do not know what has been done to them. Sandals needs to step up their game and switch over to the cases where the bottles cannot be tampered with.

The last area of service complaint was with the concierge. They are pretty much useless and spend all day talking on the phone. We dined at Baccarratt and loved it the first time so booked again and asked for a window seat. We were confirmed for the seat, but of course when we got there we were informed there was no way we could of got the window seat based on seating for that night and apologized for the concierage making that mistake.

The goods of the resort was that the food was great - we loved every restauratnt we ate at. Cassanova's has a nice large menu, Baccarratt is awesome, the Japanese place was really good and even though the snack bar service was horrible, the food was good.

Our room was in the windsor building with oceanview - we pretty much got what we booked and were fine with that. Don't expect a new modern room in the windsor building - if you want that, book in the higher priced balmoral building. We liked the location of the windsor building.

The dive team was great - Wenzel and Brian made the week fun. I did 10 total dives 2 of which were the speciality shark dive (they charge $105 for this two tank dive) but well worth it!!! Same dive as Stuarts gove but instead of the feeding, they just use a bait bucket - I felt more comfortable with this. The diving is what drove us to return to this location as Nassau has some amazing sites!!!

So overall I gave it a 3 out of 5 as the goods of the resort and food were significantly brought down by the horrible service. The Royal Bahamian is not like the super friendly resorts of Jamaica - I cannot say enough good things about how awesome the service is in Jamaica and how different it was here.

5,069 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (896)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My fiancee and I headed to the Royal Bahamian at the end of March and were very happy with our choice!

The resort: Compared to other Sandals this is definitely at the top of our list for appearance and layout. The resort is easy to navigate, a great size and we loved the colonial design. The rooms are a bit smaller than other Sandals/Beaches we have visited but they have been renovated. We stayed in the brand new Balamoral tower and thought the room was great. We also viewed a room in the older tower and it was very nice as well.

We had one day where the water in our tower was shut off. It was a bit irritating but the concierge was very nice and gave us access to another room to use the shower facilities.

The offshore island: AMAZING. The feeling of seclusion and serenity is overwhelming on Sandals island. There is a beach at the front and the back and you can take a walk through the gardens and be surrounded by lush greenery and the Atlantic Ocean. We loved this part of the resort. Perfect for a honeymoon. Get here before they finish building the other half of the island for the cruise ships!

Food: Well here is why I only gave the resort 4 out of 5. Compared to Jamaica and St Lucia the food here was lacking a bit for us. Please note that we are both VEGAN. At other beaches and Sandals properties the hotel has gone beyond our expectations to ensure we are fed. In St Lucia we even had a chef go into town and purchase vegan sausages for our dinner...To put it frankly, we ate nothing but rice and veggies the entire week we were at Sandals despite alerting the reception/concierge/sous chef/head chef/servers/hosts at least a dozen times. Food allergies/restrictions beware!

Bahamas: Is beautiful. It is cold at the end of March though...the water was not bearable until the middle of of our trip when the weather got up to around 28. In the morning it is cold and breezy and at night it is freezing. I wish I had brought more sweaters and pants! I would visit again 100% but probably later in the spring...May would be perfect. The town of Nassau is cute with a lots of high end shopping that was a bit too much $$ for us...but fun to browse. The straw market is a bit too intense for me...lots of haggling and "good deals!" haha

LEEDS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Unfortunately I took ill on the last day of our holiday and this may have coloured my thoughts about Sandals but I will review this fairly.

The weather wasn't great and for the first couple of days you could only get to the island going by bus to another pier - which we did on the 3rd day and we just loved it. We went on several other days from the pier at the resort which only took a few minutes - well worth it. We snorkelled from the other side of the island and saw Turtles several times - amazing. We did enjoy the food in all the restaurants. Also loved sitting on the sofas by the fire pitts in the evening. The Piano Bar sounded like a very BAD KARAOKE BAR but we did have a few good nights there meeting up with people you'd met during the day and the bar staff were great and made us lots of lovely drinks. We were very disappointed in our room - definitely not the "luxury" that it claims - drawers wouldn't open and close properly - bath looked dirty but it was actually scratched very badly and you couldn't fill it - just leaked through the plug. It was our 40th wedding anniversary and nothing was done to make this special for us - not even a card or a letter under our door congratulating us. We've been to other resorts (not Sandals) and have always had some sort of acknowledgement on anniversaries or birthdays even if they haven't been "special" ones. Sandals was by far much more expensive than all our other All Inclusive Carribean resorts we've been to and certainly, in our opinion, not worth the extra.

I took ill, with very bad sickness and diarrhea just an hour before we were due to be picked up for the airport. Unfortunately, the hotel nurse had finished at 5pm and the receptionist gave me some medication from the first aid box (and a carrier bag to be sick in!!). By the time we tried to check in at the airport I was severely sick and was sent to the Emergency Clinic for treatment and would not be able to fly that night. My husband phoned Sandals to explain what had happened and get us a room again - bearing in mind it would be after midnight before I'd be discharged from the clinic and that I'd actually taken ill while there. We were quoted 550$ for a room. No concern was shown as to how I was. My husband pointed out that I'd only eaten and drunk at Sandals and that the Doctor had said that the reason for my illness pointed to something that I'd eaten. Again no concern was shown. We found another room elsewhere. On arriving home we received an e-mail from Sandals asking us for feedback on our holiday. My husband pointed out what had happened and that we were disappointed in the "Customer Care" and lack of concern as to my well-being, but surprise, surprise - no response from Sandals!

Avondale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The people of the Bahamas are wonderfully friendly and nice. We arrived to a modern and well organized airport. We received assistance with our bags upon our request and then flew through immagration to the Sandals guest services. Once at the hotel, we were checked in and escorted to our room. The room was nice, but the Roman Tub was difficult to get in and out of due to the height. We checked in with the dive shop in the morning and our adventure began. It was wonderful. At the dive shop Wendzel and the team (Samuel, Bryan, Ramon, Damien and the rest of the staff) went out of thier way to make the dives enjoyable. I wish the night dive and shark dive was mentioned on the website as an additional fee activity. We ended up going onnour Shark Dive with Stuart Cove. We had the best dinner at Baccarats and our server, Moral, did a wonderful job.
As always our adventure ended too soon. The food was really good at Spices for breakfast and lunch, there is a nice variety (drink service could be improved, took a while to get hot water for tea in the morning and drinks during lunch). The pizza was good as well as the bugers at the other two lunch places. I wish cricketer was open about 3 so we could have wings early. The staff there really take care of thier guests.

Room Tip: We are divers so I made ceratin to select the Winsor building as it is closest to the dive shop.
Manalapan, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I had a great time at this very, very lovely resort. The beaches were beautiful and the private island was absolutely gorgeous. The staff was excellent as was the food, drinks, room, and facilities. We have been all over the Carribean and this is by far the nicest place we have stayed. We will be back. The only down-side is that eventually you will have to leave.

Room Tip: Overlooking the ocean. You'll sleep like a baby.
Burlington, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Can't believe it's been almost a year since our first trip to Sandals Royal Bahamian in February 2012. We've stayed at or visited almost all of the Sandals Resorts except for Antigua, Negril, and Whitehouse....and when it came time to make plans to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary this year there was no question that we'd come back to Sandals Royal Bahamian!

My husband and I love to travel, and we generally go to the Caribbean at least once a year. Before becoming "Sandals addicts" back in 2006 we stayed at resorts like the Westin in St. John, Grand Lido Braco in Jamaica, Breezes and Radisson in The Bahamas. Sandals is our overwhelming favorite resort chain because they are truly meant for "couples in love" -- no screaming children, no "meat market" atmosphere -- Sandals provides us with a truly romantic getaway We will be visiting again this month to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary!

Our favorite aspects of the trip were:

1. The offshore island is FABULOUS. It blows away the island at Sandals Royal Caribbean. My husband and I felt almost like were were on Gilligan's Island -- but with tasty food and drinks! It was soooooo relaxing there, and one day we had a couple's massage at the spa location on the island. It was so romantic......
2. We greatly enjoyed the food and beverage throughout the resort. The breakfast buffet at Spices was great -- I don't see how people could complain about anything there -- they had tons to choose from, and they would make you any kind of eggs you wanted to order.....there were also two a la carte breakfast options, which is more than any other Sandals I've been to. There were several options for lunch -- the only thing that disagreed with me was a Jamaican-style "patty" -- everything else (especially the pizza) was great. I LOVE to eat (as you will see from our photos), and we ate at almost every spot for dinner. Our favorite was Gordon's on the Pier, followed by Casanova's and Baccarat. Eating out over the pier at Gordon's was sooooooooooo lovely and romantic.....we enjoyed the antipasti bar and lamb chops at Casanova's, and the atmosphere at Baccarat was great.
3. The resort is compact, but doesn't feel small -- unlike Sandals La Toc you don't have to do a ton of walking to get around to get from one spot to another, or to get to the ocean from your room. There are also several spots for lounging -- the "party" pool, the quiet pool, the main beach, or the island...
4. The weekly Junkanoo Party was OUTSTANDING! They had great entertainment, and you could get all kinds of food and drinks in freshly-cut coconuts. It was a very fun party atmosphere.
5. You simply cannot beat the location -- it is a 3-hour nonstop flight from the East Coast to Nassau, and a 15-minute drive from the newly-renovated airport to the resort. While we loved St. Lucia, the 5 1/2 hour flight and 1 1/2 hour drive the resort took a lot of time away from our vacation --- and squeezing every minute of fun out of our vacation is really important to us!
6. The piano bar was great and the musician playing around the fire pits in the evening was wonderful....there were lots of spots to snuggle under the stars and recharge our batteries....

There are one or two areas for improvement -- I admit I am a karaoke-lover, and it never seemed to get off the ground at the Cricketer's Pub. Also, during our stay they were finalizing the renovations to the Balmoral Tower, so there was hammering and banging during that process which fortunately has long been completed!

So -- if you are looking for a relaxing and romantic trip to paradise -- Sandals Royal Bahamian is the place for you!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Peterhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Brilliant. Got an upgrade on arrival. Always somewhere to eat and drink. Beach was lovely food always good. Met some lovely other guests. Weather was good.

Only complaint - smell of vomit in piano bar and hour plus wait at immigration.

If this is Sandals we will definitely be at another.

Room Tip: Quieter side is next to reception.