“Can't wait to return to Sandals Royal Bahamian” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$305 Spa or Tour Credit!
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Burlington, NJ
“Can't wait to return to Sandals Royal Bahamian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Can't believe it's been almost a year since our first trip to Sandals Royal Bahamian in February 2012. We've stayed at or visited almost all of the Sandals Resorts except for Antigua, Negril, and Whitehouse....and when it came time to make plans to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary this year there was no question that we'd come back to Sandals Royal Bahamian!

My husband and I love to travel, and we generally go to the Caribbean at least once a year. Before becoming "Sandals addicts" back in 2006 we stayed at resorts like the Westin in St. John, Grand Lido Braco in Jamaica, Breezes and Radisson in The Bahamas. Sandals is our overwhelming favorite resort chain because they are truly meant for "couples in love" -- no screaming children, no "meat market" atmosphere -- Sandals provides us with a truly romantic getaway We will be visiting again this month to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary!

Our favorite aspects of the trip were:

1. The offshore island is FABULOUS. It blows away the island at Sandals Royal Caribbean. My husband and I felt almost like were were on Gilligan's Island -- but with tasty food and drinks! It was soooooo relaxing there, and one day we had a couple's massage at the spa location on the island. It was so romantic......
2. We greatly enjoyed the food and beverage throughout the resort. The breakfast buffet at Spices was great -- I don't see how people could complain about anything there -- they had tons to choose from, and they would make you any kind of eggs you wanted to order.....there were also two a la carte breakfast options, which is more than any other Sandals I've been to. There were several options for lunch -- the only thing that disagreed with me was a Jamaican-style "patty" -- everything else (especially the pizza) was great. I LOVE to eat (as you will see from our photos), and we ate at almost every spot for dinner. Our favorite was Gordon's on the Pier, followed by Casanova's and Baccarat. Eating out over the pier at Gordon's was sooooooooooo lovely and romantic.....we enjoyed the antipasti bar and lamb chops at Casanova's, and the atmosphere at Baccarat was great.
3. The resort is compact, but doesn't feel small -- unlike Sandals La Toc you don't have to do a ton of walking to get around to get from one spot to another, or to get to the ocean from your room. There are also several spots for lounging -- the "party" pool, the quiet pool, the main beach, or the island...
4. The weekly Junkanoo Party was OUTSTANDING! They had great entertainment, and you could get all kinds of food and drinks in freshly-cut coconuts. It was a very fun party atmosphere.
5. You simply cannot beat the location -- it is a 3-hour nonstop flight from the East Coast to Nassau, and a 15-minute drive from the newly-renovated airport to the resort. While we loved St. Lucia, the 5 1/2 hour flight and 1 1/2 hour drive the resort took a lot of time away from our vacation --- and squeezing every minute of fun out of our vacation is really important to us!
6. The piano bar was great and the musician playing around the fire pits in the evening was wonderful....there were lots of spots to snuggle under the stars and recharge our batteries....

There are one or two areas for improvement -- I admit I am a karaoke-lover, and it never seemed to get off the ground at the Cricketer's Pub. Also, during our stay they were finalizing the renovations to the Balmoral Tower, so there was hammering and banging during that process which fortunately has long been completed!

So -- if you are looking for a relaxing and romantic trip to paradise -- Sandals Royal Bahamian is the place for you!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,089)
  • Polish first
Peterhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Brilliant. Got an upgrade on arrival. Always somewhere to eat and drink. Beach was lovely food always good. Met some lovely other guests. Weather was good.

Only complaint - smell of vomit in piano bar and hour plus wait at immigration.

If this is Sandals we will definitely be at another.

Room Tip: Quieter side is next to reception.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Honeymooned at Sandal's Royal Bahamian March 25 - March 31, 2013. As the other reviews stated, the water line did bust and water was off from noon - 5 PM, but there is no reason to be in the room needing water during that time in the Bahamas! We were greeted upon arrival with a nice glass of champagne and good service from two employees. We received an upgrade immediately upon arrival. We did NOT have a Butler and were happy we didnt. Butler's were seen running around the resort frequently, sent to get their guests Miller Lite across the street, etc. We thought this service was ridiculous and unnecessary. We found all employees to be extremely friendly and accommodating. People who complain about the slowness of the service should take time to relax and enjoy the vacation. Service was fine... no need to worry! We were able to get a seat at the pool everyday, where ever we wanted. We made two trips to the private island and enjoyed both. Island is great with large beach, pool with swim up bar and plenty of private sitting locations. Took the snorkeling trip provided by Sandals and had a great time. Staff is willing to assist you in getting downtown on bus or taxi. We were able to take a bus to town for $1.25, water taxi for $4.00 and were at the Atlantis is less than 30 minutes. No reason you can not go out and enjoy the Bahamas if you please, but there is no reason to do so at night. We enjoyed the piano bar despite the smell from some leak that I am sure they have fixed by now. People who complain about the smell again are too worried with small things. We enjoyed most of the dining experiences. We had breakfast delivered to our room day 2 and it was delicious! We dined at Kimonos, Baccarat, Crystal Room and Casanovas. Baccarat was probably our least favorite despite the great reviews! Had no problems getting reservations and again, had no butler service. Kimonos is a great atmosphere and you are given a good portion of every option. Tried three options at Casanovas and enjoyed all... the catch of the day was amazing! Baccarat made an attempt to be extremely formal which doesnt fit the island. Didnt love the food either. Crystal Room was again very good and had no problem getting in. No reservations necessary at Casanovas or Crystal Room. Great dining experience overall!

Drink service was great. We didnt mind getting out of our chair to get a drink when necessary. Never got the feel that drinks were watered down. I personally enjoy rum and diet, and on the private island I ordered a rum and diet and another diet to mix in with that because it was strong.

When we read the reviews prior to leaving, we were a bit worried. Sandal's Royal Bahamian exceeded all of our expectations and we hope to make it back. We stayed in the "Royal Village" and it was quiet and peaceful. There is a part of the hotel that is by the "warm pool" that plays music all day. I would suspect it may be noisy at times in those rooms.

Go to this resort. Relax. Enjoy the Bahamas and the people. No need to worry!

Room Tip: Royal Village was great!
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have never stayed at a Sandals before - so arriving at the resort I wasn't sure what to expect. Check-in was a little confusing - as there were a few different people trying to get us situated. We eventually got checked in - receiving only one key - asked for another one and was given one promptly. We stayed in a pool walk out room - not recommended. These rooms are extremely noisy - and by the Piano Bar - which went late the first night we were there. The next morning we asked to change rooms and they did it with no questions asked. We were there when the water was out for most of the day - but it didn't affect anything for us and they were very accommodating about letting us know when the water would be turned back on. We were too busy enjoying our peacefulness by the pool. Since I'd never stayed at a Sandals - I wasn't sure what to expect. But, it seems like there is a lot of stuff just for older people to do - our first night (we were a group of 6 couples - 1 single) we commented we felt like we were in a retirement home. There was a talent show that the staff put on - and they were funny - but just seemed a little desperate to make a talent show up. The fire pits are awesome - they should have more of those out by the ocean - that is a nice way to spend the evening drinking some wine with a blanket they give you and chilling out. The staff by the pool could have had a little quicker service - but we were in the Bahamas - so we didn't complain too much. Kimonos had great food and Spices Breakfast Buffet was awesome - the staff at all of the restaurants and the entire hotel is extremely accommodating - which makes up for it being a little boring in the evenings there. I guess it's a place to relax and go to bed early and you are not close enough to anything to walk to to at night to get out. The pizza place and Royal Cafe are great for lunches. Overall it was a great experience - and I would plan a trip to Sandals any time. Call in advance to make dinner reservations at Kimonos and Baccarat - not alot of seating and both of these places should be enjoyed while there. Otherwise your dining choices are limited.

Room Tip: Do not get a walk out patio room. It had older bedding and was not as nice as the higher up floors.
Shakopee, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Things that Sandals should not be blamed for:
1 hour wait at customs
Cold/windy weather

Sandals can be blamed for:
No water for an entire day due to pipe line breaking
Paid for Butler Service and they did not show up an entire day (no refund offered except a free day next time we stay at Sandals-Not)
Piano Bar did smell like vomit
Food horrible (and think it made my husband sick)
Horrible staff attitudes (except Butlers)

Best I can say:
Island was nice
Not very crowded could have found seats anywhere at pools and ocean without Butlers
Other guests very friendly
Balmoral Tower beautiful room
Butler service a must!!!

Overall
Not worth the 1,000$ a day

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Swansea, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

First of all, last year my husband and I travelled to the Sandals Grande in St. Lucia. It was a wonderful experience. Thus, I was looking forward to our trip to the Royal Bahamian.

There were a few positives:
The Welcome Back dinner was excellent. The food was ok, but didn't match St. Lucia's quality.. The pool and jacuzzi were very nice.

Issues:
There were no drinks or a reception room with bathroom facility at the airport as there was in St. Lucia.
Once at Sandals, the orientation packet did not contain the weekly schedule or resort map. It took us two days to find out about it. On Sunday, we had to ask for another schedule. Why isn't this delivered by the maid service as done in other resorts.
Several of your employees did not appear happy to be there with us - particularly at the Concierge Desk ( Charles and Gerard were great). When you asked a questioned, it seemed like we were bothering them. Many waitresses were just plain unhelpful. They spent time talking to other employees. The worse were at the pizza place and Royal Cafe. At the Rayal Cafe, we saw our food put up to be served. The two waitresses chatted and chatted. It was 20 minutes before it was delivered. At the pizza place, the waitress took a select few orders, but most people had to get up to order. She delivered a few pizzas, again most people had to get up to retrieve their pizza. This waitress never smiled and made us feel like we were a big inconvenience.
The Room
We were in the older part of the resort - the Windsor building. The room was adequate. There was a broken tile on the floor. The tub faucet leaked constantly wasting lots of water. The tub liner had black spots on it - mold? The metal bar holding the bar had black spots indicating rust and mold. The mattress was OK. You could feel the springs in it. The screen door was bent and had a hard time gliding on the rails. I could not manage it.

Drink service was very slow for the entire week.
Most of the guests we met were American. Why no American beer?
We asked for two drinks made in St. Lucia - no bartender could do it. Really - no banana coladas, no B&B.
One day, the bartender told us they could not make drinks because there was no ice.
Apparently there is a shortage of bananas on this tropical island. There were no banana drinks for two days, because the bananas were hard to find.

Maid service.
Day 3 maids says that they shorted us face and hand towels. They will deliver later. Never delivered.

Day 4 left room at 9:30 AM returned after 3. No maid had been in our rooms. Still no towels promised the day before. Called housekeeping and our room was finally done at 3:45

Day 6 Maid cleaned room, but didn't have enough towels. Says she will come back with some today. Towels never arrived.
Our room was turned down once.

The floor was wet one day, so it appeared to be washed. Lint, hair, and some sand were on the floor when we arrived and were there when we left.

Earth Day:
Saturday evening: went to dinner at the off shore island and then was looking forward to enjoying the piano bar. As the piano player was setting up, he is told that the power will be shut off for one hour in observance of Earth Day. Perhaps this was a good idea. We all need to do more for the environment. No problem if the guest and artist had been notified. Perhaps Sandals would darken the resort and stop the boats going back and fourth to the private island. To my surprise, one one small room was darkened. The bar next door was lit, the front desk, outside looked like it was daylight. I could view three Sandals signs well lighted. If you really want to reduce Sandals carbon footprint, darkening one small room isn't going to do it and only infuriated the guests who were smart enough to see this foolishness. By the way, repairing the bathtub faucet which constantly dripped all week, would have done more for the environment.I lost all respect for your organization over that stunt. Be serious about the environment!

Dinnertime: The premium restaurants all open at 6 PM or 6:30 PM. This is too late. We are up early and generally eat an early breakfast. We then skip lunch. Waiting until 6:30 is uncomfortable for us. Several other guests also mentioned this issue to us. The lighter fare at the Cricketer's Pub just wasn't what we payed a premium price for. Lunch at some restaurants start at 12:30 PM, again too late!

Internet Access: In an all-inclusive resort, I do not expect to pay for Internet. PERIOD. This is the 21st Century and this service is included in most resorts. We traveled in France in September of 2012 and every hotel we stayed in had free wifi.

Spa: Twelve and a half percent service charge? I asked if the fee was for tip for the staff. I was told no. The Sandals promotion says all taxes, gratuities, etc. are included. Hidden fees mentioned after the service is just unfair.

Handicapped Accessible: While I did not inquire about services for the handicapped, I was surprised to learn how inaccessible this resort is. I am not handicapped, but had a temporary handicap while at the Royal Bahamian Resort. To your credit, three people offered help. Josephine at Casanovas offered to seat me on the main floor. A very large heavy set young man went out of his way to help me board the boat for dinner at Stew Fish. The pilot also helped. The hostess at Spices also offered to seat me near the buffet. That was it. No other people offered to help me. Bathrooms were down several stairs. Our room was 1522. I believe that the room offered the largest walk to the concierge desk and the pools. No thought was given to help someone who might need just a little extra support. This was disappointing, very disappointing.

Finally, we did not rebook. I loved my first trip to Sandals. This trip to the Royal Bahamian Resort was not a pleasant trip. I went to the rebooking desk and the person there did not offer a reason for us to rebook. She also didn't smile. The next day, my husband and I went to the desk at the Windsor building. Despite being opened from 7AM to 7PM, no one was there. We waited for ten minutes and no one came so we left. We were promised free shirts if we visited the desk and never received them. Another disappointment!

I do not recommend this resort! It is not worth the premium price you have to pay to go there.

Room Tip: The newest building is the Balmoral Tower. You might have a nicer room. The Balmoral pool is quiet...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
I'm so sorry to read that you experience with us did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on our ability to offer outstanding and exciting vacations for our guests. However, it seems during your stay we were not able to do so. Please accept my apologies.

Thank you, again, for your feedback as well as your correspondence. I have alerted our management team on resort as well as our customer care team. We would like to resolve this matter and address your concerns to your satisfaction.

Hopefully, we can turn things around and have the opportunity to provide you a wonderful return stay that exceeds your expectations.

Cassie C.
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

BACKGROUND

My wife and I are north of 60, have lived abroad, are fairly well travelled and are a bit choosey. I have visited , from memory, about 44 countries. Have been to Sandals Negril (small but fun), Whitehouse twice (new , spacious and lovely but a long journey from the airport and remote) and St Lucia ( be careful with this Sandals; 3 resorts with migration from the cheapest to the dearest).

BAHAMAS

Having said that, what do I know? We like to go to the Caribbean in February/March to get away from the English winter. So I booked the Bahamas for the first time. Baaaaad timing !! The 700 islands are about 500 miles (750k) north of Jamaica and half that again to St Lucia. So it is chilly in the Bahamas at this time. The advice is to go in May or June . It was very windy when we were there, with some cool days and even cooler evenings. Rain on 2 days. The 2 (unheated) pools were too cold for most people to go in.

The resort has most of the Sandals standard footprints with the exception of 2 large pools, one very noisy and one very quiet. The new Balmoral tower has some beautiful rooms facing the sea, but we went for butler service in a large suite in the Windsor tower. What a suite ! Wrap around balcony with a view of the pool, the sea and the offshore island. Butlers are good for various reasons, particularly getting you into popular restaurants, some of which are booked well in advance. Gordons on the Pier is exclusively for Butler guests. DON'T BOTHER. The slightest wind makes it a cold experience ( blankets were given to the ladies who attended our one evening there), the food is never hot and the waiters do ridiculous tricks , like balancing plates of food on their heads, from which you take the plates. Fillet mignon and lobster tails are on the menu, all served cool , but the experience is an odd one.

There are 10 food experiences at the resort, including one on the offshore island and The Cricketers pub which, for an English couple, brought a welcome change from rich food every night. The shepherds pie and steak and ale pie were fabulous. The Baccarat restaurant is the most popular with snails, fish of the day and poorly cooked meat.

Scuba diving is good with some excellent safety features on and off the dive boat .No water skiing here. Too many red flag days on the beach.

Nassau town is a dump. 6 cruise ships offloading up to 20,000 people (sic) into a one road town with many shops boarded up . Can't walk on the pavement. Traffic jams. Buses that are privately owned and are held together by elastic bands.

BRITISH AIRWAYS

User of last resort. If no other airline is available, then choose BA. Out last 3 flights with them (business and first class on mostly air miles from my job) included a 4cm black caterpillar crawling out of my wife's salad ( 50 pound voucher offered plus an apology), luggage left behind ( my wife had only beachware and no make-up for 24 hours) , and planes that should have been put out of their misery 10 years ago. The on board service has deteriorated alarmingly.

CONCLUSION

Sandals Royal Bahamian is a good resort at the right time of year.Always do your homework before you travel, not just for the hotel.Trip Adviser reviews will help you. I may be well travelled, but I have still much to learn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple