“Heavenly !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Save Saved
You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$165 Booking Bonus!
Ranked #2 of 31 hotels in Nassau
Quebec
“Heavenly !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Early January,we spent 10 days in paradise at SRB.Everything went smoothly,from the arrival at the brand new airport to the time of departure.The short 10 minutes ride to the resort is very convenient.Check-in was a breeze,Fumiko walked us to our suite with her usual courtoisie.Markell took good care of our luggage.Our suite was gorgeous,could'nt get enough of the beautiful ocean view from the balcony.The maids did a great job,everything was spotless.Sandals people work hard,always with a smile and ready to help with anything we might need.This is one of the reason we keep coming back : the staff is warm,caring and friendly.
We were welcome by Mr.Gibson,a true gentleman.He has a very demanding job but seems to always be on top of things.He always makes time to check on you and makes sure your stay is memorable.Damien,the returning guest manager,is a sweetheart.He puts so much love in the resort,he is irreplacable.
The resort is very romantic with his royal history.The gardens are well groomed and very nice to walk around.
Both pools are very enjoyables,lots of fun at the swim-up bars.Thank you Mark for the specials cocktails !
We ate like royalty. We enjoyed breakfast at Spice's,with Darlene's delicious smoothies and fresh squeezed orange juice,Marge,Daphnee and Chaquita eggs,omelets,pancakes waffles,a complete buffet with a great team working around .Specials thanks to Candace,Nichelle,Clifford,Anton and all the others.Lunch at Sandals Cay was fresh and delicious.Sylvaro ans his team are doing a great job.It would be the perfect setting for listening Bahamian music.
We had luxurious dinner at Baccarat,Gordon ,Casanova and Crystal room.We had lobster,filet mignon,lamb,shrimps,fresh hand-made gnocchis,veal,fish,etc,all wonderfully prepared and served by a team with high standarts of quality.Special thanks to Jeffrey,Tommy,Seion,David,Lucas,Vivian,Kadoy,Mark,Dexter,Samantha,Mitzpah and all the others: the list would be too long !
We were spoiled with magnificient festivities for New Year: gala dinner,fireworks,music ,dancing,champagne,chocolate and martini bar ,etc.
The returning guest dinner served under the stars is a night to remember too.
The island by itself is a paradise :beaches,snorkeling,pool,spa,restaurant,bar,etc.Sonny,Ricardo and Toriano will bring you there safely . Thank you Mr.Joël for taking such good care of this jewel.Thanks also to Jason,Morisset,Nelson,etc.
We had two very helpful butlers on the island;Vishnell and Lilat.They made sure we had the most perfect relaxing day and they are very bright young people.Keep up the good work.
Talking about butlers,they are great :don't miss Sarronte special 7 liquors secret recipe coffee !
Ekron ,Diana,Dillon,Kimberley,Cecilia,etc, are so professionnal and caring !
Cricketers is a fun place to stop by for a drink.Ms Kerry has a special touch so all enjoyed their visit.Ansel prepares the best Negronis in the world.
Don't miss the piano bar sing-along,Sherwin is a pro ,the bartenders are so funny.
Great massage at the spa : Donnella is the best therapist.
If you need anything ,concierge desk is there for you : Alexis,Philly,Frédéric and our very dear Gérard will do their best to accomodate you.
I could go on for a long time but I have to go to work to earn our next Sandals trip !
So thank you all,thank you Mr. Drake,Rick,Rowan,Mr.Gibson,Damien,Angela,all the manager's team,thank you for your hard work,hope to see you again soon,
Hugs and kisses,Josée et Luc.
P.S.: Please keep the wonderful romantic ambiance of the resort with appropriate music,not to loud or late at night .Sandals is for couples in love !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Bahamian. It's so great to read that you had a relaxing and romantic visit with us. We always want our guests to have a wonderful time in a comfortable and worry-free environment filled with friendly staff who are eager to serve. I will be sure to share your kind review with your new friends here on resort.

We hope that you will visit us again very soon.

Happy Travels!

4,844 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
  • Polish first
Danbury, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was our second stay at an all inclusive resort in the Bahamas so I don't have a plethora of experience when it comes to this type of vacation. However, when comparing our recent stay at Sandals to our previous stay at the Riu (on Paradise Island, next to Atlantis) all I can say is that the Riu knocked it out of the park, while Sandals struck out over and over again. Two other couples went with us, and all of us had similar experiences to what I will list below.

Good Things:
1. Resort is close to the airport.
2. Resort is beautiful.
3. The staff was very friendly
4. The room we ended up in was great.
5. No kids

Bad Things:
1. Everything seemed to be an "upgrade".
2. Very unorganized.
3. No consistency (The same food and drink orders were different for different people).
4. Management was.... somewhere else.

The vacation started with us arriving at the resort before check in time (~11am) due to the available airline schedule and our desire to squeeze as much as we could into our brief 5 day get away.

We checked in but our room wasn't ready so we were told to enjoy the resort and come back after 3pm. The two couples rooms were ready, so we decided to throw our luggage in with them until our room was done.

When we got to the first couples room, there was already people in it and we all ended up in the third couples room waiting while our "guide" called the front desk and tried to figure out what to do. After a 1/2 hour or so couple number two was promised the room across the hall from their original room, but it wasn't ready yet and they had to come back later as well. At that point, not a big deal, everyone was still happy and we just wanted to start our vacation.

We then proceeded to hang out by the pool and get some lunch. The lunch was some hamburgers served at one of the open air cafes. It wasn't great, but it was decent and although the service was extremely slow, we just went with the flow and enjoyed ourselves.

Spent the rest of the afternoon by the pool, catching some sun. Since we weren't officially checked in we didn't have the required room card which allowed us to charge things back to our room. This is only a problem if you try to purchase something from the gift shop (like sun screen) and neglected to bring your credit card (perhaps you left it in the safe of another couples room while yours was being prepared because you figured why would you need your wallet in an all inclusive resort?). They don't take cash at the gift store and you have to go through this whole ring up of your merchandise, walk back to reception with the receipt so you can pay them cash and then return to the gift shop to show them that you paid for it when they will then give you your merchandise. This process is really confusing should you not speak English that well, and the process is really slow should you be waiting behind someone who does not speak English very well and is trying to comprehend why the gift shop won't sell them anything.

I should note at this time that pool side service was very slow due to the limited number of wait staff and large number of customers. We ended up going back and forth to the bar all day to get our own drinks.

I should also note that not every bar on the resort has the high end liquors (like Bombay Sapphire) that the resort advertises. Some do, but you have to search them out and once the bottle is empty they may not get it replaced. You can, of course, request it if you don't see it but it will take a very long time for someone to find a bottle. I spent a lot of time waiting for Bombay or Tanqueray and often just settled for beer so I could get back to the pool.

As the afternoon comes to an end we begin discussing our dinning options and we decided to get our room so we could freshen up. It was around 5pm at this time and once we got to the reception desk, we found that our room had been given to someone else. Why, I'm not sure since they knew we were there but for some reason they assumed that since we wouldn't be needing our room for our 5 day stay. (I later found out from another couple that the same thing happened to them and the resort admitted to frequently overbooking).

Much discussion ensued, and much time passed. They ended up giving us a room in the "old tower" next to the party pool on the ground floor, looking out onto a parking lot. This was much different from the bungalow room we were supposed to be in, next to our friends. The room itself wasn't too bad, just old and showing signs of ware. We were told that this room was an upgrade to the room we were supposed to have, but it turned out that the upgrade was that they put booze in our room. This really confused us because the room we were originally supposed to get (next to our friends) already had booze in it.

Much discussion ensued with multiple phone calls to reception and several supervisors involved and we were finally told that they cold move us back to a room like the one we were supposed to be in the next day. We said fine. They said to be sure to check out at 11am and then check back in at 3pm. We went to sleep.

The next day we checked out at 11am and then tried to check in every hour on the hour to make sure they didn't give away our new room. We ended up getting into our room about 2pm. It was the original type of room we were supposed to get and it was very nice. The booze was stocked and we had champagne glasses but no champagne. We called for it and they said they'd send it right over. They called back at 7pm as we were leaving for dinner and said they were on their way with the champagne. It was indeed there when we got back from dinner.

At this point, I should also tell you that while we were fighting for our room, our friends were trying to make reservations for dinner at one of the three restaurants that require reservations. While the meals are still included in the price, you have to reserve a table at the three higher end restaurants. They quickly found out that all of those restaurants were booked until Friday. We were leaving on Thursday. Booked as in they couldn't get a reservation for two let alone four or six should we all want to dine together. Turns out that Acura was having a corporate retreat there that week and the majority of the restaurants capacity was taken up by them. That and the group of travel agents that they were showing the resort to in order to drum up more business. I guess they wanted to make sure that they were able to overbook on a regular basis.

Food wise, we ended up going to all of the "normal" restaurants they have and the food was rather plain. In one case, our group went to the Italian Restaurant after one of our couples had gone there earlier (when we were trying to get our room) and the same meal that they had ordered two days ago was prepared completely differently than when someone else ordered it that night. We also got crushed red pepper when we asked for pepper that night. Everyone's meal came out at different times, and one of our dishes was completely wrong. In addition, they never refilled our water or wine glasses. My fettuccine was bland at best and my wife's chicken was cold. Very disappointing experience.

The supposed "A la Carte" breakfast restaurants basically just offer you what the buffet places offer you with the caveat that you have to wait for someone to bring you the food instead of getting it yourself. This can take awhile. Breakfast wise, I liked the omelettes but my wife thought the scrambled eggs tasted like they were powdered. We also found out that the quality of the grilled breakfast items definitely varies with the chef.

The bars were constantly out of product (Gin, Tequila, Bloody Mary mix, etc...) and the bartenders were constantly asking for our patience as someone should be there "any minute" with the proper ingredient or libation.

The pool/beach wait staff was constantly moving but just didn't have the bandwidth to serve everyone consistently so long times between drinks were customary.

The food was bland, and the quality was inconsistent.

In summary, the Sandals resorts sells you an image of being pampered and taken care of at every step in your trip. They advertise a high end experience allowing you to leave everything to them so you can relax. In our experience, we were treated more like a cog in a vacation machine, and unless you spoke up it was like you weren't even there. The staff was very nice, but they weren't empowered to do anything. They truly seemed to want to help and provide you with good service, but the resorts organization (or lack there of) didn't make it easy for them.

The experience Sandals provided was closer to what I would assume a Club Med is like. The Riu, which was less expensive than Sandals, had what I'd call an average property but the service and food was outstanding. I don't want to spend my vacation fighting to get what I already paid for, and I certainly don't want to pay for something I'm never going to get.

There were many people we met on the trip that felt this way and had similar experiences to us. One of them got compensated with a reservation to one of the three high end restaurants but that didn't happen for us. The people at the reservation desk said that someone would be contacting us, but that hasn't happened either and I don't believe it will. I think they just said that so they could get us out the door and bring in the next bus load of cogs for their machine.

I wouldn't recommend going here and suggest you spend your hard earned cash somewhere that actually cares about you after your check has cleared and not just before you get into the door.

Alan W.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We're so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard and we would like to correct the situation and make things right. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and offer the luxurious experience for which we are known.

Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter.

Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My first time to a sandals resort and all I can say was wow. Very rarely does a resort/vacation meet your expectations. Not only did Sandals meet it, it exceeded my expectations. The service, the rooms and amentities were all amazing. I have never met more friendly people before in my life. Everybody was happy to help. As previously noted, you need to make dinner reservations as soon as you get there. Gordon's was amazing, such great seafood. We did not love our original room as it was oceanview, but you also had a view of some of the hvac/kitchen machines on the roof. They then took us to another room which we did not like either(same view of machines on roof. My fiancee is a room snob. They then took us to the 1 bedroom, oceanview suite, that was a butler room but we did not get the butler(room 1301). It was an extra $150 per night, but well worth it. If we added the butler it would have been an extra $300 per night. We were still able to eat at Gordon's, and got this fabulous room. I like to tip the maid who comes in daily to clean my room and every day I left a few dollars on the bed, and every day that money was left on the nightstand. I was very surprised and impressed. Overall, a 10/10. Do not listen to the negative reviews. Rooms are great, people are friendly and helpful and it is impossible to not enjoy yourself.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I had never stayed at a Sandals Resort before, and WOW what an experience! My wife and I traveled to Nassau in October to celebrate a week away from the cold winds of St. Louis, Missouri. We have traveled quite a bit over the years. I wasn't sure that I would enjoy staying in one place for a week, as I like to visit many different cities when I travel. Sandals Royal Bahamian quickly set my doubts aside as every need, wish, whim, and desire was met in our seven days there! Among many other things, we experienced seven fabulous restaurants of every variety, two beautiful pristine pools located very close to our room, a glistening beach with every watersport imaginable--all free of cost during our stay, romantic nights lit by Tiki lights and starry skies, a plush, modern room with every amenity--including a beautiful view of the ocean, hammocks in the breeze, great entertainment, and of course, the company of my beautiful wife! I can't imagine any greater care being taken to meet our every need. My wife loved the spa service (she enjoyed a few services while there), and I really enjoyed the beauty and serenity of the private island. We loved the island so much, we visited several times during our stay. Huge cabanas built up on cliffs were readily available, all with loungers and sheer curtains blowing in the breeze. Another favorite memory is karaoking in the pub with our new friends who loved to sing, as well as my X-Men experience with the playmakers. It seems they thought I looked exactly like Senator Kelly from the X-Men movies, and they insisted I take several pix with them! As the "playmaker", Ian Thompson kept the good times rolling with all the activities he headed up available throughtout the day and evening. He is also quite the gifted artist too. Ian and friends treated me a like a true celebrity. Of course, now that I think about it, my wife and I were both treated like celebrities by EVERYONE on staff at Sandals while we were there. We will definitely return to Sandals again. Thank you for a magnificent experience we'll never forget!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
st. louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

You're never too old to take your dream trip with the person you love!!!! From the moment we were met at the airport by the Sandals reps to our sad goodbye seven days later, it was paradise for our thirtieth anniversary. We arrived at our gorgeous corner suite on the fourth floor in Balmoral Tower and saw the most beautiful vista of the beach and ocean imaginable. Our room was modern, comfy, equipped with all kinds of liquid pleasure like Jamaican Rum, and a plushy, oh-so-comfortable four-poster bed! I am very particular about my bed, and I slept like a rock each night I was there. Opening the french doors and listening to the ocean breeze didn't hurt! Tise property is pristine and glistening with the immaculate care Sandals takes of their properties. Fabulous azure pools--one quieter for reading, the other hopping with music and fun contests--kept us near the water when we weren't on the actual beach. Took a mixology course at the bar with all kinds of newlywed couples. Everyone was sooooo friendly, I enjoyed meeting every one of them! I won at BlackJack one night, and the entertainment was great. As a musician, I'm pretty picky about music too, but I really enjoyed all the performers--especially the woodwind player in the main restaurant.My favorite part of this exquisite trip was the private island. We enjoyed a free couples massage class there--it was paradise redefined. Snorkeling, canoeing, sailing....you name it, we did it all, thanks to Sandals' free watersports! My husband and I rekindled our 30-year romance as I had hoped we would. Thank you Sandals, for the BEST vacation of my life!!!!! It was DEFINITELY worth the wait, and we WILL return!

Room Tip: 4th floor Balmoral Tower--we had room 416. It was PERFECT.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We're so happy to read that you had such a wonderful anniversary with us at Sandals Royal Bahamian. We strive to create romantic and memorable experiences for our guests and I'm so glad we were able to achieve that goal during your stay. It looks like you and your husband had an amazing experience.

Thank you for your review. We can't wait to welcome you back for another great stay in the near future.

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was our second , two week stay at Sandals Royal Bahamian in the past few years and we found it every bit as enjoyable and satisfying as our first visit . We got off to a wonderful start by being given a room up-grade to the Balmoral Tower - a room with a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean beyond . The following two weeks of our time here continued to impress us and even the weather was a grand improvement over our last experience - only two days of rain or cool temperatures with the remainder being sunny and warm and in the 79 - 83 degree range .
Conveniently located close to downtown Nassau and Paradise Island we had a few trips into town and transportation was readily available by local bus or a taxi from the hotel - a short 15 minute trip .
As we've always found , Sandals staff are second to none and it's one of the reasons we've stayed loyal . Helpful , friendly and polite , they always make our Sandals experience a delight and we extend a very sincere thank you to them all
FOOD - lots of choices here and all were excellent with our favourites being the Crystal Room and Cassanova's . We were a bit disappointed though to see that the buffet dinner at Spices was no longer available as we enjoyed that so much on our last visit .
ACCOMMODATION - We would rate as excellent . Kept very clean and tidy for us by Ethlyn on a daily basis .
BEACH - Very good , well maintained and tidy . No trouble finding beach chairs when needed .

All in all our stay was a great one and we would return in a flash , given the opportunity - and that in itself says a lot !!

Smithfield, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Awesome time, im from Rhode Island my wife and I were celebrating our 30th birthdays here and had a blat. So relaxing we went in the mid of February glad to get away from the snow! The rooms were great I would stay in the newer building it seems more updated. We had a walkout room to the pool which was a great feature. We learned how to scuba dive and we had a great time at the paino bar. We were tossing up this place or Atlantis and after talking to people after staying at Atlantis we made the right decision staying at Sandals. Atlantis nickled and dimed for everything where Sandals was all inclusive. Great beach enjoyed the private island too going back next year!

Room Tip: choose a walkout room well worth the extra money