“Beautiful Resort.. It was just okay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Save Saved
You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to $755 Air Credit!!
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Saddle Brook, New Jersey
“Beautiful Resort.. It was just okay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This was our second Sandals vacation. First time was our honeymoon @ Sandals Antigua. The grounds and scenery are beautiful here. If you can get an oceanfront room, get it! It's surreal! We had the butler service just because it was in the room category we chose. We enjoyed the butler service perk when we went to Antigua but the butler service here was not as good. It took our butler(s) a long time to do us minimal favors like getting us a cooler for the beach and getting our food to our room.. took way too long. After the 4th night we just did everything on our own because it was a lot faster. Other than that the food was okay nothing out of this world. Even the steak and lobster @ Gordon's Pier which was supposed to be for exclusive guests only was just okay. My husband and I were invited for a special invitation only reception for returning guests, they served the same thing steak and lobster as they did @ Gordon's.. how originial! It was nice to meet other returning guests and see what other resorts they've been to as long as it was not longer than the 2 hours we had to be there. If you are there on the weekend the resort does an amazing Junkanoo Parade with music, a dance show, and fireworks right on their long driveway as you pull into the resort. They serve local foods and sell local arts and crafts which was lots of fun. We loved taking the jitney for just $1 and going to the local eateries. Must try "Fish Fry" the food there was cheap and very good. It was easy to get around just using the jitney which went back and forth to downtown Nassau. From Nassau take a $15 cab ride to Atlantis...a must see! All in all would not mind staying here again but wouldn't mind trying something new either for a lot cheaper.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (975)
  • Polish first
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

First ever Sandals experience and boy, we were looked after! From the moment we checked in, to the day we left, nothing was too much hassle. My husband had been looking forward to playing golf, but the golf course nearby had shut, so the staff arranged for us to fly to Sandals down in Exhuma and swop three nights to there. Amazing time had by us both. Loved the resort, all food we had was of a good standard, but eating at Gordon's on the pier on our last night was an awesome experience! We found all the staff from the cleaners and gardeners to the management really friendly and approachable. Would love to go back again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed in the Royal village...LOVED our little house, behind the big buildings, the private pool and hot tub. the people were amazing. I am nursing a broken arm and EVERYONE was so helpful...even other guests. It was the relaxing trip ever, but there were activities if we were interested. Captain Sonny and the crew were so helpful, when we went to the island...it would have been scary to get onto the boat without such great help. Thanks to all who made the trip so great, Shelly, Damiem, Sonny, Yveatte...and everyone, I fail to mention.

Room Tip: We loved the privacy of the Royal Village
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My now wife and I recently honeymooned at Sandals Royal Bahamian. The service and amenities are fantastic, and the service staff was excellent, we will be back hopefully next time in Antigua! Overall a great experience.

• Stayed January 2013
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful and relaxing time, in the Bahamas. This was a short trip only 4 nights but we made the most of it. We stayed in the windsor building and had a great view of the property. Our dinner and breakfast at Baccarat was amazing, what other all inclusive can you get caviar at breakfast. The improvements to the beach here have made it one of the best beaches on Nassau. I manage to go scuba diving everyday and everyday we we able to see sharks. We went to the same spots as Stuart Coves go to for the shark dives, so the sharks were pretty friendly. We also had some great wall dives and had some time with a spotted eagle ray. This was probably one of my best Sandals dive trips. One other highlight of the trip was the transfer from the airport in the Rolls Royce, I love that car.
Thanks again to Jennifer at Sand and Sun Vacations for making this a special trip for my wife and I.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Davis TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I would like to start this review by saying this was our sixth Sandals trip and we love Sandals resorts but, I have had my first disappointing trip with them. We stayed at the Royal Bahamian Dec. 29-Jan. 5 for a New Year's/Birthday trip. We booked a King George walkout room in the newly remodeled Balmoral building. When we arrived and were shown to our room, it was not what we booked, I questioned the girl and she stated it was an upgrade... I frequent the Sandals site and am very familiar with the room categories and this room was NOT an upgrade. She said she would check into it, to stay in the room and they would get back to us. So, instead of starting our vacation we sat in the room.
After thirty minutes and no word, I called the concierge desk to see what had been decided and they had yet to find a solution. After another thirty minutes, I went down to see if I might receive some assistance instead of just sitting in the room. Still nothing but, instead of being told to sit and wait, I was ushered to a manager's office where I sat for another 45 minutes. Once a manager finally joined me, I was again told it was an upgraded room. When I asked the room name and was told, it was in fact not an upgrade... I had the Sandals site pulled up on my iPad. Once they were caught, they admitted that it was not an upgrade and they were simply overbooked and had made a mistake.
At this point they realized they had truly made a mistake and started offering to make the error up to us; Gordon’s Pier dinner, small resort credit and a REAL upgrade. It was nice and, I guess, made up for the mistake but, my true gripe is… Why didn’t they just say we messed up and we will make it up to you in the beginning? We are laid back, would have stayed in the first room if they had been upfront and have in fact booked two more Sandals trips. We would have respected the honesty and been much more understanding if we had not been treated like idiots.
To further the disappointment, on my Birthday nothing was acknowledged by Sandals. We have been three times, to other Sandals resorts, over my husband’s Birthday and they have gone above and beyond to make us feel special. This seems to be the all-around mood of the Royal Bahamian… Nothing that might be out of their way!
Lastly, TIPPING! Over the last six trips to Sandals we have seen tipping here and there but, very little. Not at the Royal Bahamian! Several times a day we saw wait staff and bartenders take tips from the guest and guess who received better service…
All in all it was still a beach vacation and we had a decent time but, it is going to take some time to make a return trip to this resort.

Sara Adams
Fort Davis, Texas

Room Tip: Know what you booked... Sandals is pricey and you should get what you pay for!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We were at this Sandals Resort for only 4 nights (9-13), but it was the perfect January getaway for us, other than I wished we had one more night here (but don't you always when you're on vacation?)

If people are going to whine while on vacation, then why even go and get away from it all? I think for the most part, the people who are disappointed here are never going to be happy.

We arrived at the resort around noon and were actually able to check in when we arrived, which was nice, since we'd flown overnight and had a 4 hour layover in Charlotte... We reserved a luxury room in the Royal Village and were told we'd been upgraded (I need to look up to what level). We didn't pay for a concierge or a butler, we're pretty low maintenance. Upon reading the reviews here, I figured out what to do on my own, which was very easy.

The Royal Village is very pretty and peaceful and what you see on the Sandals website is really what you get. It's close to everything and just a few moments walk from the pools, beach and restaurants. If you need to save some money and don't care about having an oceanfront view, just go this route...you won't be disappointed.

The room was just what the photos showed, I just think we had a little extra room where there were 2 chairs and our bar area, which was replenished DAILY without having to ask for anything. We had a fresh supply of water, champagne, and the other beverages we'd gone through. My thought is that if you do need anything, don't hesitate to ask. Leave your room for the beach or the island and when you return, your request will be fulfilled. Our room was tidy every day and each night when we returned from dinner, our bed had been turned down.

We had no complaints with the restaurants. Upon checking in, ask to make reservations at the restaurants where they are needed, so you aren't disappointed because you wait until the last minute to make a reservation... We requested a reservation at Baccarat and Cafe Goombay and were able to eat in both restaurants. We did not eat at Kimonos, mostly for lack of time and the restaurant was not open the eve we would have had free anyway. Someone wrote there was no atmosphere at the Chrystal Room. I roll my eyes. It was a nice room and we had good food and good service there. I'd definitely have breakfast at Baccarat one morning, just to change up from the buffet at Spices (which is also very good). My husband was happy because he was able to have caviar at breakfast at Baccarat. We ate lunch and dinner out at Cafe Goombay. Lunch offerings were conch chowder, salads, burgers and wraps and a fish special, which we enjoyed our portions. Dinner on the island seemed a bit unorganized, but they got it resolved and was worth the trip out there. Just enjoy the staff and the meals and the surroundings and your life will be just fine.

We found the service around the resort to be fine. We never waited more than a minute for a drink anywhere we went. Also, you can get anything you want. If you don't see it on their menu, just ask. We were greeted by the staff anytime they passed by and they all seemed very polite. We had a great time at the piano bar, so much so that we went back a second night.

We never had a problem getting a lounge chair by the pool or on the beach, no matter the time of day.

We decided to go back to the Emerald Bay next year to check it out. Damien, our rep at the soon come back desk said that the biggest complaint that visitors have in December/January is that it is not "hot enough" in the Bahamas. He said it is their wintertime and it is not real far south of Florida, so therefore, not hot. We were quite fine with the high 70s/low 80s temps and the nice breeze. We were able to swim in the ocean. We were able to swim in the pool that was more active. I think that maybe with all the comments about not having a heated pool maybe had them change this. The quiet pool was still chilly, but if you want to swim, just go to the active pool. You'll be fine.

In the eves, ladies, take a wrap or a sweater, in case you do get chilly, you'll be prepared. If you want a hot location, maybe consider going further south. We were quite content with the weather while there.

Overall, we had a VERY relaxing trip and found our first Sandals experience completely satisfying. It was nice to not have to worry about tipping or paying for drinks, etc. it was the perfect getaway for us to clear our heads. I wanted somewhere easy to get to, knowing we'd only be there for 4 nights and with the resort no more than a 15 minute drive from the airport let us make the most of our time there.

Don't worry about negative reviews here. Just go, relax and have a good time.

Room Tip: Ixora building in the Royal Village has some noise from the adjoining building AC unit noise if you...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple