Save Saved
You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$110 Early Booking Bonus!
Ranked #2 of 33 hotels in Nassau
seattle
“Paradise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is the second time I have been to a Sandals resort, and was again blown away. I will say it was not quite as nice as the Sandals in St. Lucia, but still wonderful. My husband and I were there celebrating a wedding anniversary, and the couple were actually upgraded to a butler suite at no extra cost. I personally don’t think it was worth any extra money, and glad we did not get that room. Our room was incredible, in the Widsor building, access to everything and the PERFECT ocean view! It was wonderful to wake up to that every morning.

We were there the first week in December and the weather was beautiful, 80 degrees every day. There was one day of full rain, but being in Paradise you just have to make the best of it. The only real complaint we had was that when we were on the island one day and it started raining, the staff just STOPPED working. Like they were going to leave. It was very strange. There was an older gentleman (he was 82) who got up at 11:45 am from his seat in the restaurant and actually handed out menus to everyone because the staff was not doing anything. Once one of them saw him, she jumped into action, but only when he was going to work himself. I am pretty sure that it rains there fairly regularly, and that is no excuse for the staff to pack up and get ready to leave. They should have been offering coffee/tea -anything!

I read on here that people had a hard time getting chairs, we NEVER did. As long as you get there before 11 am there were always lounge chairs and plenty of towels. There were NEVER any problems getting reservations with restaurants as long as you are somewhat flexible with what time you can eat dinner. Don’t get there the day before and expect a 7 pm reservation. It won’t happen. In fact, one day we wanted to eat at Baccarat, and the only time they had was 9 pm, so we said, “ok, but if anything opens can you please let us know?” Sure enough, they called and said that at 7:30 opened, so we were in! It was the BEST restaurant in the whole resort, and Alexander made everything wonderful with his friendly and helpful personality. If only everyone at the resort was that nice. Spices was the buffet and it was OK. About what you would expect from a buffet. Casanova was not very good, not a big enough selection, and they were out of the veggie dish. I did get VERY ill off of the lamb, and we did not go there again. Gordon’s was great, except the wind was blowing so hard that we were moved inside to a different restaurant so the experience was not exactly what we wanted. The lobster was incredible though, and great service.

There are 2 large pools, one is cold and the other is warmer. The swim up bar in the cold pool had great service, and Shelly was so friendly! One day I was not feeling well and she made me a drink of soda water to help my stomach. Very nice. The other bar was always busy, but it is a 2 minute walk for great service.

The highlight of the trip was the piano bar. I have to say, Leonardo made the experience WONDERFUL! He knows how to work the crowd and always takes a minute to chat with guests. I don’t know if he will see this, but by the end of the trip we were all “Cousins”!!! His personality was friendly and he wants everyone to have a great time. I wish we had people like him back home in Seattle.

Overall the trip was great, and just what we needed to get out of the Seattle rain. I think we will try a different Sandals before we go back to this one though.

Room Tip: Room 1520 in the Windsor building had the most amazing ocean view!

5,089 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (907)
  • Polish first
Dunedin, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed at Sandals Royal Bahamian for our Honeymoon arriving on November 6, 2012. Arrival went well...warm greeting, glass of champagne and a nice, comfortable lobby. That is the ONLY good thing that I can say about our vacation. When we got to our room, we booked Kensignton Luxury Beachfront room...it wreaked of cigarette smoke and the bathroom was filthy...pubic hairs on the floor and bathtub, something not identifiable under the sink. We called Housekeeping to come clean the room...it took them 3 hours to get there. I called the front desk and they said the room was fine and there was nothing they could do. I finally tracked down the hotel manager on duty and asked for a meeting to express our extreme displeasure with our room as well as several aspects that were not as advertised.

I've been to several "Luxury" all inclusive resorts and they all offer 24 hour room service. Sandals does NOT! Are you kidding me??? They cater to the Wedding/Honeymoon market and they don't offer room service!! Also, you can only get 1 hot breakfast delivered to your room during your stay...at least in the concierge level rooms. In meeting other couples, apparently, if you get a Butler room then you can get room service...that is, if you can find your butler. We talked with 3 couples (rooms near ours) all of which had butlers and they had nothing good to say about them.

Our first night at the resort, at dinner, I ordered a glass of wine. It was served in a plastic cup. At first I thought it was a joke and was looking for the hidden camera. I asked the server why wine was being served in a plastic cup and I was told "that's all we have". I looked around the room and noticed a variety of sizes and types of other wine glasses. Upon further investigation, I was told that they only had a limited number of glasses and had run out. How in the world do you run out of glasses in a luxury all-inclusive resort??

I could give you the daily play by play, but it's painful at best. By the second day we were ready to leave and go home. The hotel we got married at was so much nicer and we longed for great food and service.

In a 6 night stay, we NEVER had a good meal...unless we left the resort!! The service is "island style" which roughly translated means "when I damn well feel like and and when I'm done talking to my friends and painting my nails".

Save your hard earned vacation money and go somewhere else. I can't stay it enough...SANDALS SUCKS!!! The food is just plain bad, the service is horrible and the overall experience doesn't even qualify for one star!!

There are so many great all-inclusive properties...DO NOT go to SANDALS!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Nassau to the Sandals Royal Bahamian in May 2012 with three other couples. We had already been to the Sandals in Montego Bay Jamaica so we were able to do a comparison between the two Sandals resorts. Sandals Royal Bahamian in my opinion was way more beautiful than Montego Bay. There were two things that I liked better in Jamaica, the fruit and the people, but other than that Royal Bahamian wins hands down.

First of all the beaches are absolutely beautiful. I have never seen such crystal clear water. If you visit Royal Bahamian make sure to stay in the Manor building. It has recently been refurbished and feels brand new. We stayed in room 105 which was a ground floor (perfect) right next to a fire pit and pool with swim up bar. This pool is less crowded then the other one. The other pool usually has music playing so I liked being in a more tranquil environment. I can’t tell you how pleased I was with this room! The food is good and drinks are plenty. They stock your room daily with beverages and I mean stock! There are full bottles of rum, wine, champagne, cokes, cocktail mixers like cranberry juice, etc. If you drink everything in one night you will have a full bar the next day.

Opt for snorkeling through Sandals. We did two snorkeling adventures and believe it or not the free one through Sandals was better. Take a trip one night down to Atlantis and go to the aquarium and casino. Stay away from the shops in town. Most of the stuff is junk unless you like weaved baskets with your name on them that’s pretty much what you are left with.

The only negative was a sewage smell that was around the restaurant pier which came and went. I stayed on the beach closer to the Manor so I wasn’t bothered by it.

Room Tip: Room 105 in the Manor was amazing!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was our first time at a Sandals and any all-inclusive. We opted for the Butler room in the Balmoral Tower:

The Good:
-Gorgeous ocean location

-Good food (pizza was unexpectedly good) and drinks (not watered down)

-Good service, friendly staff who try hard

-Beautiful external grounds and building

-Excellent spa (we both got a massage)

-Great gym with varied equipment and excellent view of the ocean

-Lovely private island---more natural than the mainland and worth the trip

-Loved the fire-pits at night with comfy lounges

-At this time of year, no fighting for seats on the beach or by the pools

-Butler service had its pluses such as reserving seats as needed. They also gave us nice treats in our room such as cheese plates and desserts

-Well-stocked in-room bar including spring water, wine, vodka, rum, and scotch--and of course it was all-inclusive

-Nice bathroom amenities such as full-sized shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion---that kinda smelled like a daiquiri!

-Nice to have a quiet pool and a loud/rowdy pool

-Dancers in the revue were talented and revue had good choreography

-Car service from the airport to the resort was great

-Comfy beds

-Latoya the Butler was thorough and professional--kudos to her!

Could be improved:
-Single elevator in Balmoral Tower near our room was broken for a day and a half. We took the stairs from our room but there was often trash/food/wet towels/etc in the stairways---kinda gross

-Leak in the ceiling in our bathroom after heavy rain. Leak was above the toilet and went into the toilet...and liquid was yellow. Not sure what to make of that. Also, seemed like parts of the resort were experiencing plumbing back-ups as a result of the rain (other bathrooms closed)

-Inconsistent ferry dock times (could be due to windy weather)

-Pools were advertised to be heated but didn't seem heated---way too cold for this calibre of resort

-It rained on one of our days and the resort didn't really seem prepared for it. Would have hoped that the staff would take the seating/cushions in before the storm since they were useless afterward (no place to sit) and there didn't seem to be much of a contingency plan for activities

-Butler Service: As noted, Latoya was great. However, we didn't really ask for much of our butlers (gave us cell phones in case we wanted to contact them). We're not really high-maintenance people and we like to do our own thing. The butlers seemed oddly insistent on us sticking to the agenda they created for us and seemed to deter us from deviating from any prescribed plans.

-Resort seemed to wait on critical mass before proceeding with activities, etc: For example: seating at Kimonos--had an 8pm reservation but they waited to seat us until nearly 8:30 until they had a full table. At the dock, the ferry seemed to be delayed until there was a boat-load of guests ready to depart

-Even at 5 floors up (with a beach-facing room), we could still hear the drum-beats and noise from the nightly entertainment. Turning on the fan helped

Overall, a great getaway to a gorgeous location. We loved the ease of being at an all-inclusive but there are a few little things that the resort can do to improve the guest experience. We'd definitely try Sandals again either in the Bahamas or elsewhere in the Caribbean.

Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is our second time to this resort. The last time was in 2004 and this time Nov 24th 2012 for a week.
I'm surprised how subjective reviews of the same place during the same week can be so different. I saw a flurry of bad reviews just before we left and was a little curious how our experience would be. Turns out we had a very enjoyable time with surprisingly quite good food, beautiful grounds and pool and fun time at the piano bar sing-a-long.
We stayed at the Windsor building with a view of the pool and beach. After the recent renovations of the Balmoral Tower, the Windsor is now looking somewhat older but still quite nice. We splurged and paid for a meal one night at Gordon's on the Pier which was very romantic and worthwhile in my opinion. Probably better than having a candlelight dinner on the beach or gazebo as it can be windy along the beach. If you want to do this you could probably wait until you arrive to make sure the weather is good for your romantic dinner. I hope I don't steer you wrong here as the resort wasn't full during the first of the week which is when we booked our Pier dinner. Later in the week a travel agents awards convention descended on the place which put the resort at capacity. I was surprised a couples only resort would host a convention but they were very pleasant to talk to and gave tips on the best Sandals resorts. Heard a lot of good things about emerald bay, bahamas and whitehouse, jamaica, FYI.
When I look at a resort I decide where i want to go first and then try to pick a nice place. If I just wanted the newest and best resorts I would probably keep going to Mexico which does a very good job at all inclusive, but I want to see other places. I also ignore the reviews that are overly critical or effusive as they are clearly subjective. My expectations are not super high as even the best places can disappoint and why let expectations ruin your trip? By doing this I can comfortably say i have never had a bad vacation... well, maybe Cuba.
I would definitely recommend SRB to anyone considering Bahamas!
Safe travels!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I had never been to an all-inclusive resort before, and so we wanted to go with a name that we knew. Since we knew Sandals was a reliable quality resort, we had it stuck in our minds that we were going to book a Sandals for our honeymoon. We wound up choosing the Royal Bahamian, and have to say that it was very much worth it. The drinks were good... the beach was clean and void of all the unwanted local sellers (or residents of other resorts for that matter)... it had its own private island, which we went to like 4 of our 6 days there... but, most of all, we thought the food was absolutely amazing! I highly doubt all of our all-inclusive stays will be at Sandals resorts because they are a bit pricey, but all things being equal, you're not going to go wrong with this resort. Thanks for the perfect honeymoon, Sandals!

Room Tip: If you've never had a private candle-light dinner on the beach before - make it a point to pay f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We have stayed at other Sandals properties and this one was no disappointment. There is a ton to do and a lot of restaurants/bars. We didn't even leave the resort. When we checked in, we were upgraded to a butler room! However, when we got to the room, it overlooked a parking lot. We had paid for an oceanview, so we said something and they immediately moved us to a room with a spectacular view.

The only disappointing thing about the resort was Gordon's - the butler only restaurant. It was SO windy and cold that it was impossible to enjoy our dinner. Please don't pay extra for this restaurant because it's not worth it.

All the other restaurants were great, staff was excellent and the drinks are strong! We'll be going to another Sandals soon.