You added Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island to your Saves list
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach, Nassau 13005, New Providence Island   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$305 Spa or Tour Credit!
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Nova Scotia
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is our second time to this resort. The last time was in 2004 and this time Nov 24th 2012 for a week.
I'm surprised how subjective reviews of the same place during the same week can be so different. I saw a flurry of bad reviews just before we left and was a little curious how our experience would be. Turns out we had a very enjoyable time with surprisingly quite good food, beautiful grounds and pool and fun time at the piano bar sing-a-long.
We stayed at the Windsor building with a view of the pool and beach. After the recent renovations of the Balmoral Tower, the Windsor is now looking somewhat older but still quite nice. We splurged and paid for a meal one night at Gordon's on the Pier which was very romantic and worthwhile in my opinion. Probably better than having a candlelight dinner on the beach or gazebo as it can be windy along the beach. If you want to do this you could probably wait until you arrive to make sure the weather is good for your romantic dinner. I hope I don't steer you wrong here as the resort wasn't full during the first of the week which is when we booked our Pier dinner. Later in the week a travel agents awards convention descended on the place which put the resort at capacity. I was surprised a couples only resort would host a convention but they were very pleasant to talk to and gave tips on the best Sandals resorts. Heard a lot of good things about emerald bay, bahamas and whitehouse, jamaica, FYI.
When I look at a resort I decide where i want to go first and then try to pick a nice place. If I just wanted the newest and best resorts I would probably keep going to Mexico which does a very good job at all inclusive, but I want to see other places. I also ignore the reviews that are overly critical or effusive as they are clearly subjective. My expectations are not super high as even the best places can disappoint and why let expectations ruin your trip? By doing this I can comfortably say i have never had a bad vacation... well, maybe Cuba.
I would definitely recommend SRB to anyone considering Bahamas!
Safe travels!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,096)
  • Polish first
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I had never been to an all-inclusive resort before, and so we wanted to go with a name that we knew. Since we knew Sandals was a reliable quality resort, we had it stuck in our minds that we were going to book a Sandals for our honeymoon. We wound up choosing the Royal Bahamian, and have to say that it was very much worth it. The drinks were good... the beach was clean and void of all the unwanted local sellers (or residents of other resorts for that matter)... it had its own private island, which we went to like 4 of our 6 days there... but, most of all, we thought the food was absolutely amazing! I highly doubt all of our all-inclusive stays will be at Sandals resorts because they are a bit pricey, but all things being equal, you're not going to go wrong with this resort. Thanks for the perfect honeymoon, Sandals!

Room Tip: If you've never had a private candle-light dinner on the beach before - make it a point to pay f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We have stayed at other Sandals properties and this one was no disappointment. There is a ton to do and a lot of restaurants/bars. We didn't even leave the resort. When we checked in, we were upgraded to a butler room! However, when we got to the room, it overlooked a parking lot. We had paid for an oceanview, so we said something and they immediately moved us to a room with a spectacular view.

The only disappointing thing about the resort was Gordon's - the butler only restaurant. It was SO windy and cold that it was impossible to enjoy our dinner. Please don't pay extra for this restaurant because it's not worth it.

All the other restaurants were great, staff was excellent and the drinks are strong! We'll be going to another Sandals soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed at Sandals Grand Bahamian Spa Resort & Off-shore Island at the end of November. Overall, I thought that this was a very good property. It did show some wear and tear with rust on the buildings and some peeling paint (all easy fixes with paint and power washing).

I did not get to take advantage of the off-shore island due to the roughness of the ocean.

Cricketer's Pub and the Piano Bar are so much fun and really make the night life quite upbeat.

The outdoor fire-grilled pizza is awesome, too.

I'd love to answer more direct questions about this property.

Full disclosure: I am a travel agent and I was there on business.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Katonah, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed for a week from 19-26 November, and this was our first Sandals experience: not a wedding or honeymoon, but a much-needed week of relaxation at the end of a crazy year. I made the mistake of reading a lot of reviews a few days before we travelled - and there was a flurry of very bad ones. As others have said recently - don't read them! It made me anxious and left me wondering if we'd made a big mistake, but my fears were allayed as soon as we made contact with the Sandals desk at the airport. Transfers and check-in were smooth and friendly, and we were having lunch within am hour or so of landing. We'd booked the cheapest room, and were upgraded to a concierge room as it was our first stay: no view other than a few scrubby plants and the car park of the building opposite, but I assume the room was larger than the one I'd booked. Our whole stay was relaxing and peaceful and just what we both needed. My husband took the introductory dive class, which he couldn't praise enough, and was able to go on two short dives, although they did eat significantly into our "together-time" as the early start, combined with half-hour transfer to the boat, loading and off-loading equipment, etc for 20 minutes of dive-time seemed excessive. But he was full of praise for the instructors and their care and attention to safety.

Due to the high winds for the majority of our stay we weren't able to get across to the island, or experience Cafe Goombay (other than the menu transferred to Spices), nor able to enjoy snorkelling or kayaking from the resort, and the sea was too rough to swim in, and the pools too cold. But it was the perfect temperature for relaxing on a lounger with a book in a sunny spot. We loved the fire pits in the evenings, and thought all the food was good. Despite shouting about its 9-10 restaurants, only two or three are open each evening, and at least one of those is on reservation-only basis, but we didn't find this too much of a problem, and certainly didn't have long waits like other reviewers.

We didn't partake of any of the entertainment, so couldn't speak for/against those, but every member of staff greeted us with a smile and friendly hello, and we felt welcome.

A few downsides stopped this from being a 5-star experience:
Housekeeping - variable, and we found it irritating that items were removed (for cleaning?) and not replaced, eg bath mats and drinks glasses. Also, when we checked in, the half-used toiletries from the previous guests had not been removed and replaced from the bathroom. All of this was resolved by speaking to the concierge or leaving a note.

Hot water - was in serious short supply: some mornings, the water temperature couldn't even be called warm, and it would have been nice to take advantage of the large bath tub, but the water just didn't run hot enough in the evenings. The only times hot water seemed in plentiful supply was mid-afternoon.

Mini-bar restock - we didn't drink that much, but ran out of water on a couple of occasions as our mini-bar was only re-stocked twice over the week, and both times upon request. Because of the weather, we were often in our room late in the afternoon, so maybe that's when it's usually done ...

Overall, the vacation was just what we needed. Would we go back? Probably not (and I got fed up of clearing telephone sales messages offering me "amazing discounts" off my next booking) but may well check out a different Sandals location in the future. So ignore the negative reviews and just go and relax and enjoy your trip.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

We'll start off by saying WOW!!! Do not listen to those negative reviews of this resort, everything and I mean everything, was absolutely amazing. The resort is like a 10 min drive from the airport and getting there is quick and easy. You are greeted with a cool towel that has such an amazing scent to it and the Sandals crew are fabulous! We went through all the sign in usuals and were on our way to our room when we realized they were taking us to the wrong place. We were booked in the Windsor Grande Luxe and our guide was taking us up the elevator to the second floor of the Balmoral Tower. Noticing this, we mentioned to her we were clearly being taken to the wrong place. Well she just smiled and said "let me show you something first" and off we went to our room. Our jaws dropped when she opened the door...the Windsor Grande Luxe was nowhere near the beauty of the view that ths room gave us. Beachfront, overlooking the ocean, can't beat it!!! We are so pleased that Sandals gave us this upgrade no extra charge. From what I hear it is not uncommon of them to do this and I think it's absolutely wonderful! The weather has been amazing, despite being a little windy, but come on, it's almost needed to cool off from the heat. The resort itself is absolutely gorgeous and very well kept. Everyday you see workers doing some form of upkeep to keep standards unmatched, which is generally unseen at other resorts. Beach has crystal clear waters and beautiful white sand. The night life can be a little quiet at times, which some people love, but if you know where to go you won't be disappointed. The Piano Bar and Cricketeers Pub make for some wild and crazy nights! Kimonos reservation restaurant is also fantastic for meeting and mingling with other couples. Our entire group there ended up going out after dinner and most of us didn't get to bed until 4 in the morning...it was such a blast! Now the best part of this resort? The food and the service! Unbeatable and just impeccable! From Bacarrat, another reservation restaurant, I swear I had the best steak of my life. And the service, just wow! Friendly, happy, punctual people clearly proud to be part of the Sandals family. It was wonderful. Cassanova's s another absolutely wonderful restaurant where you don't have to make a reservation, so if you're not into reservations go for Cassanova's...you will not be disappointed. There is not enough good things to say about this resort. We are extremely impressed. Will we be returning you ask? Just tell us where to sign.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wolcott, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I just came home from our stay at the Cove. Beautiful, exotic with an asian flair. Very Dramatic. Customer service at the front desk, superb! they want your business. Our room, an ocean view suite was great. View was excellent. Furniture a bit dated. Bathroom was amazing. The bed not so much. It was hard as a rock. Seriously! I slept maybe an hour... The next morning we complained and they replaced the bed. Excellent service. The AC wasnt cooling and our plasma screen was fuzzy, really??? We called and they sent up the engineer and he fixed them both in minutes. Crazy good. You have been hearing about the wind tunnel in the breezeway of the hotel , well its true! Its crazy windy. Ridiculous. The cain pool is sexy and right out of Vegas style hotels. Its awesome. However, it was freezing so we didnt stay. It was all shady and really breezy the way its situated on the tip of the beach. So we hung out at the Reef. Food and drinks very good and alot cheaper than the Cain pool, which is over rated. Girls walking around in high heels and a ton of make up... come on. We would have stay longer just to people watch but the bartender in the back bar near the beach acting like we were bothering him when we asked for a drink. So we never went back to him. Management should have him secretly shopped and then fired. We had drinks at Seaglass near the Cove before dinner each night. Service and ambiance was superb. Mesa Grill is overpriced and very small portions. If thats what you are into, go for it. Seafire Restaurant, we sat at the bar. A few of the bartenders are rude and then there is one that is exceptional nice. Food expensive but worth it. Good size portions. Carmines we sat at the bar. Very nice bartenders and excellent food. We love Atlantis and will return as this was our first time at the Cove. We will not go back as we think the Reef is just right for us. The Cove is a great hotel if you have alot of money to spend and want to hang out at the Cain pool.

Room Tip: Ocean view suites