“Basic budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Towne Hotel

You added Towne Hotel to your Saves list
Towne Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   40 George Street | P.O. Box N-4808, Nassau, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Nassau
Trinidad
“Basic budget hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights with friends and we had problems right from the start.
despite having paid for the hotel in advance, when we got there they claimed not to have received our reservation or payment. after an extemely long wait with lots of "bad attitude" by hotel management, we were finally given a room.
the room itself was an ok size and mostly clean however the bathroom was another story. very tiny and it just looked a bit grimy.
the free breakfast is basic(toast, eggs and cheese),,
in terms of location, we didn't have a big problem because it was right up the road from the straw market and the water taxis which take you over to paradise island.
it is not far too from public beaches and maybe a 10 minute walk from the famous Arawak Cay fish fry.
overall, we had a good vacation but it was because of the great expreinces we had outside the hotel. I would return to the Bahamas in a heartbeat but Towne Hotel won't be on my list of places to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Thank God I just had to stay one night at this place. And thank God I had packed a sleeping bag for the following steps of my trip. In a word: Towne Hotel is DIRTY. Sheets had a collection of left behind hair, the bathroom was disgusting, the place stinks.
I wouldn't be acceptable to pay 50 bucks to stay here, but they charge you 95 USD with those taxes and gratuities...
Its location is fine but it is not worth, try somewhere else!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I don't really recommend staying in downtown but if you you do this is an almost decent place and it's pretty cheap. The staff was not friendly, the free breakfast was not very good. The lobby was very nice and offered free wi-fi. The pool was tiny and super cute. Your a few blocks from the beach and some nice restaurants. Loud local children were always around. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Chapin, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

What a surprise when our taxi pulled up to this little hotel in downtown Nassau. It was exactly what we were expecting. Atmosphere with flags outside, quaint and CONVENTIENT !!!!

We could walk to everything, even the local grocery. Don't be late, it closes at 6:00 and everyone in the shops seem to leave at that time.

Getting back to the hotel, it was very clean, the pool was not the cleaness, but you have the ocean. Breakfast was included and good. Best of all, it was the island decor and most of all, Max, the Blue and Gold Macaw met you in the lobby. He loves people food, but don't feed him cheese, the owner does not like that. (Parrots do like cheese and the calcium is good for them, but I didn't own the bird, I only breed parrots for 25 years !) Have fun and go with the flow!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, there was noise, but an election celebration was happening until 12:00...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Book another hotel - It's just not worth it..

I booked the room at hotels.com and taxes and all charges was included, we thought. The owner had us pay an extra 22$ for "tax" on the actual room price of 89$. The only reason we payed it was that we arrived very late and had no other place to go.

The room was just awful - an aircon that didn't work, dirty toilette and high noises from the big road next to the hotel buildning are some examples.

Save your self some trouble and book another hotel,

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

The towne hotel was okay. The room was a bit out of date but what can you expect with the low rate? One thing I did not like is that I booked through Hostels.com and the hotel ran my credit card through without my knowledge before I got there. This was not what was explained to me on Hostels.com. The site said I would be paying the balance upon arrival but the hotel went ahead and charged my card without my knowledge (after I had already placed the deposit on my card through Hostel.com). I did not appreciate this as I was not going to pay for the balance on my credit card. It was a bit strange that they did that and it felt sneaky. I had a discussion with the woman who processed it and she didn't seem to care. Otherwise it was a fine stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We did not have reservations when we arrived, due to the Arawak Inn screwing up our reservations, but the Towne Hotel got us a room after about an hour. The room was very clean and not a bed bug in sight in the very comfy bed. It's not the Hilton, but that's not our style! We like the smaller type hotels. The breakfast was sausage (cold), cheese, breads and hard boiled eggs. We went to the Dunkin around the corner! The location was great, close to Bay St. (which is crowded with cruise ship-type people). We walked all over town and never felt unsafe. People are friendly and warm. It has a nice courtyard with a small dipping pool and a 3rd floor sundeck. The staff was very friendly and the bartender (yes they have their own bar!) was great! I would stay again!

Room Tip: 3rd floor room was very nice!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Orange Hill Beach Inn
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 15 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 stars 1,904 reviews

Been to Towne Hotel? Share your experiences!