I was initially going to write a scathing review of this hotel (it is not a resort.) ... however .. after a 2nd brief stay I have changed my mind. There are a great deal of negatives, but I am *not* giving this hotel a bad review. Bottom line Blue Water "Resort" is probably one of the least expensive places to stay in Nassau (especially if you are travelling with several people or a small group.) That alone should give it high praise. It is close to restaurants, groc store, Starbucks, lovely shops ... and right on the jitney (bus) route ... it only costs $1.25 to go downtown.
So, if you don't want to read all of my comments .. here it is in a nutshell .. avoid the "Garden View" rooms completely and opt for the "Ocean View." They are clean, spacious and bright. There is a large master bedroom with a beautiful view of the ocean .. and Sandals private Island .. (Sandals is practically next door.) All three bedrooms have private bathrooms. Kitchens come fully equipped ... stainless steel appliances and there is even a washer & dryer. Staff were all very friendly as were the other hotel guests. All in all, we were quite content to stay there.
Now ... on to the rest of the story .. four of us (two couples) travelled from east coast Canada to Nassau for a sailing vacation (adventure) in the Exumas ... We needed a place to stay, provision and make plans for the very beginning of our sailing holiday and also at the end. Blue Water was perfect for this .. inexpensive and well situated. My mistake was initially booking a Garden View room ... I was advised that I could upgrade upon arrival (This was NOT the case.) I *hated* the Garden View room. It was awful. My travelling companions, however didn't feel it was that bad ... Here are a list of my observations ...
- While sitting outside on the enclosed concrete patio I watched a rather large brown mouse poke his little head in take a look around ... Luckily I'm not a woman who is bothered by rodents, if my mother however had been here, you would still hear her screams all the way back in Canada.
- property is very old and run down
- no maid service - given one set of towels to last your entire stay .. more are available, but you need to go to the front desk and ask.
- there is a teency (tiny) beach .. that's it ... you cannot walk anywhere from the beach.
- only one place to get food on the property ... a little tiki bar/restaurant run by a nice, but rather odd woman ... most of the food listed on the website/menu is not available. If you are not into health food it should be fine ... fries, hotdogs, deep fried conch fritters .. etc ... GROSS! We couldn't eat there.
- floors of our Garden View room look as if they have NEVER been cleaned. They are filthy .. the carpet leading up the stairs had a well worn dirt trail.
- curtains hanging in our bedroom are dusty and have holes.
- screen door to the patio was twisted and does not properly close
- garbage can kitchen door was broken and hanging (we actually fixed it ourselves.)
- water had a bad smell .. disappears after a time ... shower ran out of hot water often.
- 2nd bathroom is tiny & disgusting, toilet seat falling off, dirt around the floor, shower head kind of hanging from the wall ... just unpleasant ..
After our sailing holiday we had already pre-booked Blue Water and arrived back there again ... needless to say I was VERY unhappy about it. This time it was different. The lovely woman at the front desk upgraded us (without additional charge) to the Ocean View room. It was beautiful and clean and I cannot express how thrilled I was not to be staying in that awful Garden View room again. It was a completely different experience.
I hope this review helps other travellers. Blue Water is NOT Atlantis or Sandals ... but it served its purpose for our Bahamas stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue Water Resort is a tropical escape. Relax in spacious three-bedroom ocean or garden villas. Step outside and enjoy the island breeze and sounds of the unending waves. Play tennis onsite or jump into the beautiful ocean-side pool. Treat yourself to the excitement of the nearby casino, go deep-sea fishing or put on your snorkel and fins. At night, visit Da Sand Bar & Grill for dinner, or visit the bright lights of Paradise Island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Travelocity so you can book your Blue Water Resort on Cable Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Water Resort On Cable Beach Hotel Nassau
- Blue Water Hotel
- Blue Water Nassau
- Bahamas Guanahani Village
- Guanahani Village
- Blue Water Resort On Cable Beach Bahamas/Nassau