“You Get What You Pay For” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Nassau Palm Hotel

Save Saved
You added Nassau Palm Hotel to your Saves list
Nassau Palm Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Bay Street | PO Box SS, Nassau 19055, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #26 of 33 hotels in Nassau
Washington State
“You Get What You Pay For”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

A fishing buddy and I recently spent 10 days on Acklins Island, in the Bahamas, fishing for Bonefish. There are only two flights in and out of Acklins a week, and we were not able to arrive early enough to catch the departing Wednesday flight out of Nassau, to Acklins, so we flew into Nassau on a Tuesday. I did a lot of research on line, to find the nearest hotel to the airport, that was reasonably priced. Nassau hotels are not cheap, and all of them require that each guest pay some kind of "fuel surcharge" which adds over $20 to the listed price of the room. We didn't come to Nasssau to sightsee, and just wanted a place to spend the night, prior to flying out to Acklins the following morning.
Nassau Palms Hotel turned out to be quite some distance from the airport, and it cost us $32 for the taxi ride (each way). The hotel appears to be quite old, and from the exterior it was evident that it had seen better days. It was directly across the street from the water, and there was a beach, of sorts, with several small vedors selling food and drinks. This definitely wasn't the upscale area of Nassau.
We arrived before check-in time of 4 PM, which seems like an unreasonable time, but fortunately they provided a room. That shouldn't have been an issue, because it didn't appear that the hotel was even close to being full.
The room was dated, as was the exterior, and our "view" was overlooking a roofline and alley. The TV's remote control didn't work, and when the TV was turned on, it lost signal about every 2-4 minutes, and "roared static" for 30-45 seconds, before locking into the station again. This made it impossible to attempt to watch a show.
When I inquired about "Internet" access (the hotel advertised wireless Internet), I was told that you had to come down to the lobby to use the Internet, and the hotel had nothing to do with it, but rather you had to pay for use by credit card, through some Internet provider. No thanks.
The bed was comfortable, and that was about the only good thing I can say about the place.
Definitely not someplace I'd return to. Better to have paid more, for a more well kept facility.
I am probably being kinder than I could have been, and compared to many of the other reviews, I have been.

Room Tip: You can do better than this. Nassau hotels are expensive, but bite the bullet and pay more if you h...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

350 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This has got to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. The evening front desk receptionist wasn't very friendly, and the rooms are old and dirty. We made do for the one night, but I can't imagine having to stay there for more than that.

Also, don't bother staying here if you're looking to spend your days relaxing on the beach. You have to cross the street to get to the ocean and it's not suitable for swimming.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was part of an all inclusive deal I booked. As soon as we pulled up in the shuttle bus I knew it was a horrible hotel. The lobby was small & dirty, the side doors were chained & locked. We went up to our room, it was horrible the toilet was dirty the sink & shower were rusty. The sheets were stained, towels looked old. I'm in the military & have been deployed 4 times, staying in a tent in Afghanistan was a better & cleaner experience than this. Our stay lasted 2 hours, we went down the road & checked in to the Hilton.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

This is the worst hotel I've been in,I stayed here 2 night and I could not wait to leave ,the bed was broken in half,ac did not work,they refused to change my room only when I complained up a storm did they change my room,there was mouse poison unde the small fridge in the room,the tv did not work,no cable,no Internet,don't go,stay somewhere else,to date I have not stayed in a worse hotel and I travel everywhere.

Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We have spent 22 hours in Nassau, on Bahamas, one night in this hotel. I have booked online 2 month before for 100USD. This was one of the very few hotel that were centrally based at an acceptable price. We arrived at about 10pm in the hotel and left it at 9am next morning. At the check-in I was informed that I have to pay an extra 22USD energy surcharge for the AC. I have never ever paid something like that before and after that! If there is a charge for the AC you can choose not to use it. So I was recommending not to use, but they said that I still have to pay this 22USD. In the room was freezing cold (ca. 16 Celcius degrees), the AC was running on maximum. Outside was ca. 26 Celcius degrees even by night. I have opened the windows in order not to get a cold. That is enormous waste of energy. And that is why I had to pay so that they can waste the energy and thus polluting the environment.
There wasn't any Wifi or was very expensive.
The breakfast was quite poor.
It was centrally based, 10 minutes walking to the center of Nassau. Walking to Paradise Island and Atlantis Hotel was about 40 Minutes, ca. 7km to airport.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
portmore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

we had to stay here for two nights because our booking for our resort was on the 11th of August and our flight was on the 9th of August. online the pictures look good but going here was a mistake, this is not a hotel, this is a motel. i realize that this is where locals go for a one night of fun. i was so upset cause they charge so much for crap. the so-cal food they call breakfast taste like crap, even my 14 and 11 year old would have done better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Newbern
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The rooms or the so-called resort is no where near the pictures they show online. I dealt with mold in chairs, dirty sheets, blood on carpets. I had to go through 3 rooms to get a descent one. There is an extra charge when you get there. They scanned my credit card on 1st day just to hold it in case there were additional charges. That hold is still on my account and they have also billed me for my stay. I have called every day trying to get them to take it off and still no response. This hotel is less equal to a super 8 motel. However, the attitude of the staff was pleasant. The Housekeeper did her best to make my stay better.

Room Tip: If you have never been, get responses from those who have. If you don't know anyone who has gone...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Nassau Palm Hotel? Share your experiences!