“Charming old mansion - quiet” 4 of 5 stars

Graycliff Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Hill Street, Nassau 10246, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Montréal
“Charming old mansion - quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My brother and I just spent 5 nights at the hotel. The grounds are lovely - and we enjoyed our stay. The room was quite large and the beds very comfortable. Our remote for the T-V didn't work well and the wi-fi coverage was spotty.
The staff were delightful. There were huge parties there on friday and Saturday night - which was a bit of a detraction.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kirkland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The short version: Noise, cleanliness issues and hit-and-miss customer service left us with a bitter taste in our mouths. Overall we wanted to like the Graycliff, but we cannot ignore its major failings and we cannot recommend this hotel.

The long version: We stayed in the Graycliff at the end of November 2012 for 5 nights. We were on our honeymoon trip (got married last August) and our stay in Bahamas was part of a larger trip.

We booked a luxury room with the hotel, fully aware that we might be upgraded because of their honeymoon policy. Upon arriving our impressions were mixed as the hotel is across the street from dilapidated buildings on one side and the governor's mansion on the other side (this seems to be a general theme with Nassau). However the main hotel building and the little garden inside the hotel perimeter looked nice.

After talking to the receptionist we found out that they had indeed upgraded us to the "President's suite". Getting to the suite was rather interesting. One had to go through their main building (which also houses their primary restaurant), the hotel grounds (which have a fabulous looking pool) and eventually through their second restaurant to the rooms above it. When you arrive there you have to enter through a side entrance next to a parking lot and it almost feels like you are entering through a service entrance.

We found the President's suite very nice. There was nice antique–looking furniture and a lot of space. There were french doors and a balcony with a table and chairs. There was a very spacious bathroom and a spacious walk-in closet. Overall we were rather pleased, although it was not going to last very long.

For our first night we decided to have dinner in the hotel’s primary restaurant. Although this is a review about the hotel, here is a quick note on the restaurant. We found the food good; I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. The service however was pretentious and perhaps even snooty, which my wife and I found somewhat hilarious. And no matter what the Graycliff says, they do not have the best restaurant in town; if you want that go to Cafe Matisse (we sampled all the "good" restaurants in town).

And this is the point when things started turning for the worse. We returned to our room after a good meal (mediocre service notwithstanding) only to find that a live music band was under our balcony! Apparently every Saturday their second restaurant has live music and the musicians are situated right under the President's suite. At first we thought that the music would stop around 10pm like in most other places in the world, but of course this was not the case. The music continued and after multiple phone calls and a trek to the reception office to complain in person, they eventually stopped past 11pm. Of course at the time both my wife and I had developed a headache from the loud noise not to mention that we had to get up early in the next morning as we have a young baby who likes to get up around 5am every day.

The next morning we had determined to put this event behind us as were told that they only have live music on Saturdays. Unfortunately it was not meant to be. My wife went to shower and a few minutes later I heard screams coming from the bathroom. I rushed in and was shown the largest cockroach I have seen in my life. This thing had a body well over an inch long and meaty and although I do not consider myself squeamish, I had to think long and hard of how to kill it and dispose of it without trouble. But not before I took a picture for posterity (attached).

My wife was livid and she decided to complain to management vociferously and request a room change. We indeed did so and we were eventually met by a man who introduced himself as the manager. It was Sunday morning (around 9) and apparently he decided it was ok to greet us in sweatpants and slippers, but I digress.

We requested a clean/quiet room and were shown a couple of options. This included another “suite”, which we found dingy and unappealing. The second room he showed us was a normal hotel room, but at that time we were tired with the whole charade and decided to just take it. This last room was a most definite downgrade from the room we had earlier.

The rest of the days passed without major incident although we were now trying to stay as little time as possible in the hotel. In fact we seriously considered leaving Nassau early, but in the end decided not to let this bad experience completely spoil our honeymoon.

We never received any apology from the hotel about the whole debacle. In fact we did not even receive some of the basic services that they advertise (e.g. absolutely no Wi-Fi service was available, no turn down service, etc). We also have serious doubts whether the room that they had us stay was even the luxury room that we paid for (or their luxury rooms leave a lot to be desired).

By the way in my 20 years of international travel this is the first time I was downgraded because I complained in a hotel, but I guess there is a first for everything! Overall an amazing experience in this “5-star” hotel.

Finally and to end this on a lighter note: The restaurant that they had us staying over (and where the cockroach obviously came from) is called “Humidor Churrascaria”. Although we are not Spanish speaking we decided to start calling it “Humidor Cucaracheria” (for the Spanish name for cockroach) to have a bit of fun.

Room Tip: If you must stay in Nassau stay in the Hilton instead.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

An enchanting main building with a stunning swimming pool and peaceful lush gardens with turtles.the legendary restaurant was a slight disappointment first night but vastly improved for New Years Eve . Food range is good and food is excellent tho first night both mine and Mrs H's food was tepid .i think the restaurant service is generally good although over fussy .the wine list is impressive especially if you wish for Old World although I found the over zealous mark up put a lot of my favourites out of my price range ....for example no Brunello's for under $250. My eventual choice a 22 yr old Barola was not decanted until I asked then was served with pieces of cork .The dining room setting is magnificent either inside or al fresco and a wonderful ambience of old style and energy exudes.
Our room (Corona) was an out building some walk from the main building though it did give an excuse to walk through the wonderful gardens . It was generously sized , stylish and had a wonderful oldy worldly bathroom , although the attractive shutters did not extinguish fully the daylight or noise .
We found the service very inconsistent , we asked 4 times before our tv was fixed , we waited 3 days for urgent laundry , we were told there were no tickets available for the famous Junkarnoo, we later found out there were hundreds and bought through our own efforts . otherwise the service was pleasant, helpfull and friendly but not excellent .for example we spent 2 afternoons by the previously lauded fabulous pool, without seeing one waiter to order drinks from (as depicted by the hotels website ).
Overall a lovely experience that could have been so much better .....pricing was over the top, dinner first night with one bottle of wine $450 and NYE $1250. (2 bottles of champagne and one bottle of red Guidalberto) ........ Far too much in my opinion although the NYE gala dinner was excellent and a night to remember. Overall rating 3.5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the main house
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife and I just got back from 4 nights at the Graycliff. The hotel was fantastic! It is a small campus of various renovated old buildings all connected with a series of gardens and pool areas in the back. The old buildings give it the air of a B & B, but the bedrooms have been nicely renovated with large beautiful bathrooms. The pools were beautiful and serene. The Graycliff is a fantastic alternative to the crowded, run of the mill, tourist hell holes that crowd nearby Paradise Island. We had an amazing time and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

.... I stayed at graycliff hotel last weekend. I absolutely loved it! is a beautiful hotel with history and elegance! The service was impressive! Hospitality excellent the scenery breathtaking! And friendly staff :)

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Graycliff takes you back to a time when life was less stressful. This hotel is ELEGANT and probably one of the last of its kind. Upon our arrival we were greeted by the staff with a big smiles. Our Bathroom was wonderful Absolutely loved the large and spacious Room The dinner at the lobby restaurant was spectacular The menu is outstanding, and has a wonderful variety of choices.The food is delicious and served to perfection. the wine list is out of this world The service is 5 star, what you truly expect out of the Graycliff Needless to say, I really Loved my stay at this HISTORIC hotel. I don't know when but I hope to return in the near future for another amazing stay a must for anyone traveling to the Bahamas.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

5 star all the way. How do you describe an evening at Graycliff. Unforgettable!!!!
A definite must on every travellers list.
Our evening started with a fine wine from the private collection. How to decide when there are 250,000 some odd bottles to chose from. Unbelievable!!!!!
We chose to sip on our wine while enjoying the ambiance of the grounds and gardens. Mystical, is the word that comes to my mind.
It is just overwhelming trying to take in all the art work and decor of the property.
Next was dinner in the Main house Restaurant which was Outstanding. Just when you thought your pallet had reached its optimum peak another dish was brought with a more magnificent sauce or taste. Now this is how everyone's birthday should be experienced. First class all the way.
By far the top of the finest restaurants in the world, not just in the Bahamas.
After dinner, before dessert, we decided to take a tour through the wine cellar. Wow, what can you say, I was stunned. I have never experienced anything like this before and I have done extensive travelling to all parts of the world. Apparently the 3rd largest wine cellar in the world. If you desire you can have your own private dining area in the middle of this amazing collection. My next birthday for sure.
You cannot forget to mention the cognac collection and hand rolled cigars.
Our evening just kept getting better and better and better. There was so much more to see and explore but unfortunately we ran out of time . Next visit we will definitely leave more then an evening to experience this exquisite island Gem.
What and unbelievable experience. I highly suggest it is put at the top of everyones list. Trust me it is Unforgettable..
Sandy (Skyangel)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Graycliff Hotel? Share your experiences!