“Few glitches but overall great experience” 4 of 5 stars

Graycliff Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Hill Street, Nassau 10246, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #3 of 33 hotels in Nassau
Houston
“Few glitches but overall great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Graycliff. Our suites were in the "new" building I believe it was the Pirate Suite, and suite next door. Nice bonus as the rooms were connecting. Check in, and getting to the room was a little strain on my husbands nerves but nothing to terrible. As we taking our bags to the rooms the owner came out of the hotel offering to help (it was a very kind gesture but really not necessary our bags have wheels). When I discovered there was no hot water the staff immediately called a plumber, and the problem was fixed.
My favorite part of the hotel was the swimming pool. It reminded me of times gone past. It is just lovely, and my boys loved the depth and width. Our final day we ate brunch in the dining room and enjoyed every thing. Location was a nice change from the "resorts". The staff are just wonderful, and are ready to assist with any needs. A great visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Grand Bahama Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

l have been here 5 times in the past couple of years!Annamaria and Enrico,and her family are like my own family!!OMG l cannot explain the people that they are?WONDERFUL,everytime i go there i feel like lm with family,safe,loved and pampered!Annamaria was like my own mother,with everything,i mean everything!!(IF THERE IS A CHALLENGE,SHE RIGHT THERE TO FIX ALL).We spend on each occassion several months at a time!!AND LOVE COMING BACK,IT IS A private RESORT,tropical paradise!!You have a huge garden,to walk around in Large "ltalian disigned"swimming pool"(we were there when it was being made,redesigned i should say).The suite we were in,was Mandarino it is right infront of this beautiful pool "and you have your own entrance to it, from the ltalian linen, to the fresh towels,to the bulgari products,spa bath,secluded in total luxury,HEAVEN.I am a member of the four season's and i can say this "hotel"can be in the chain ANYTIME! The restaurant is a "five star",and the prices are what you would spend in any five star,"but you get more for the value".Cigars,one of the best you can find,they even have there own factory on site,The wine the cellar is full of fantastic wines"being ltalian they also love their wines.In the restaurant at nights you can endulge yourself,with a mixed cocktail or choice of what your heart desires?(my fav,was the champ/cocktail)sit and listen to the piano enhansing,your mood for a relaxing night.From the plush waiting area you get escorted to the lovely dining area,where you have a lovely choice of food!! Our favourite was veal medallion with mashed garlic potatoe,and fresh vegetables!fresh fish of any type,lamb cuttlets also,a mixed ltalian platter oooh to die for "Enrico"is an expert with that,ask him! l'm sure he would be glad to assist!!Thanks to the chef's there,always assisted in every way!(if you wanted something different appart from the menu,they're there willing to help.Housekeeping Manager "thank you so much,you were a darling!!to Peter the waiter,to all of the waiter's and Jason the Manager,everytime we needed him he's around!The reception Ladies,and Tamika thank you!(Annamaria l miss you and your wise words). This property was once owned by Royalty,and there is still "old world elegance there"AND YOU ARE HONESTLY TREATED LIKE ROYALTY".
l would stay here again and again,the money is well worth it!!WHAT YOU WOULD PAY TO STAY AT PARADISE ISLAND OR AT THE ATLANTIS,"WHICH WILL TAKE MORE MONEY FROM YOU,WITH SERVICE BEING POOR.
You have a choice of casual restaurant,all the meat you can eat on the property,or elegance which is where i spent most of my time..."they are known for their snail escargot"YOU WILL LOVE IT.........
THE BEST OF WHAT NASSAU BAHAMAS HAS TO OFFER....
NOTHING BUT,THE BEST!!!!!! "A MUST STAY".
Thank you so much for everything... ps,my son had the run of the place,and all Annamaria could do was encourage him to do whatever he wanted,he's been coming to greycliff since he was eight NOW he is eleven,and still loves it.

Room Tip: Mandarino,is my favourite.....(but,all around the pool is nice).
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Spent Memorial Day Weekend in the Graycliff Suite and it was incredible. We dine in the restaurant every time we are in Nassau, but this was our first time staying in the hotel. It was an amazing experience and we consider our self's lucky to have been exposed to such an amazing place. We took in as much as we could during our short visit, which was based around the Kenny Chesney concert. Most importantly we were able to get away from the touristy atmosphere and truly enjoy our vacation. Graycliff has this homey feel to it that makes you want to become a resident of the Bahamas.

Room Tip: The Graycliff Suite is huge!!! Its more like a house than a hotel room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Amherst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

My wife and I just spent two nights at the Graycliff. It was a most memorable experience. The food, wine, cigars etc were fabulous. The Maitre 'd Anthony really made us feel at home. The rest of service staff treated us like we had been staying there for years (much like private club). If you are looking for a special experience (this is not your average "All Inclusive" resort), you should check this place out. We spent the previous 4 nights at the Sheraton down the road. Although the beach was nice I would have much rather spent the week at the Graycliff. If you want modern amenities, this may not be for you. If you are looking for a place with a unique history & period furnishings then you'll love this place. I am sure Atlantis is nice, but neither of us felt like a "Disney" type experience.

A word of caution: we stayed in the main house and loved our room. If you plan to go to bed early and want peach & quiet then you may want to ask for another room...we had no problem listening to the music while we fell asleep. My wife and I will most definitely be back.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house if you want to be in the middle of the action....very nice to walk downstairs...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Val des Monts, Qc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

This review is stimulated by the 10 Fantastic Hotel Pool email I got from Trip Advisor.

This was the very first swimming pool in the Bahamas and it is stunning, more further down.

Went here a few years ago (not March 2001) on our way in & out of Cat Island where I was going diving. The hotel is not for everyone but if you are happy with quaint, old world charm accommodations, you can find Western European Auberge accommodations behind your door. You get a great balcony over looking the harbour in our case or a number of other views all of different aspects of old Nassau. I was enthralled by the place for a number of reasons, I spent some years in Nassau as a child, I'm Canadian and this mansion (compound) was first built by the Walton's of Montreal earlier in the 20th century, I love to eat, love wine and am very fond of cigars.

The Graycliff excelled in all of these areas of interest. For the Nassau experience you shall be hard put to find a more colonial environment (Darling) and that's what Nassau is all about.

The swimming pool is a work of art, the mosaic tile is pristine as is the water & I know the views shipboard down into the waters of the Bahamas, it ain't the sea but from the colours you wouldn't know it. It is quiet with pool side service of whatever your heart desires from the restaurant which in our experience was exceptional. My wife just looked over my shoulder and said don't forget it was cold. The pool is unheated so if you lie in the sun and jump in the water... I didn't find it cold at all.

The menu was French classic Curnonski would be hard pressed to provide a haughty comment and for the wine list well they seat you in the holding bar and put this tome in front of you that is intimidating as it is fascinating. Think you are an Oenologue, wait until you sit down with this wine list. Fortunately the Steward saved me embarrassment and money. The experience in the restaurant is well worth saving you pennies for.

At the end of the meal I went to the Maitre'd podium where next to it they were rolling cigars. The Host and Signor Avelino Lara (Cohiba & Trinidad fame) were standing there, I bought a cigar for $10 (I think) and Mr. Lara picked up a cigar looked me up and down, clipped it and Grandfatherly sent me on my way. We ordered some digestifs and went upstairs to our room, I sat on the balcony and lit up there was enough of breeze that my ardent anti-smoke wife tolerated me.

If you are going to or through Nassau spend a night and splurge a little on the entire experience, it is unforgettable and the pool is great.

Room Tip: Tell them what you are looking for in accommodations they have it all from the main building to free...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We are frequent cruisers who recently decided that when we visit ports we have seen before , we will try to try to seek out something different to experience. I pored over websites and came up with a short list of things that could be reached on foot within the limited time we had available during our upcoming cruise to Nassau. One was Greycliff. We disembarked, strolled up and down Bay Street to buy some gifts for those at home and then, we we reached the British Colonial Hotel, turned up the hill and walked through what appeared to be a quite disressed section of town. We were not sure if we should keep going, but we had been advised that Greycliff wat at the "top of the hill".

Sure enough, when we got to the top we saw some well-dressed ladies coming out of an opening in a stone wall right along the street. They were carrying what appeared to be bags with food containers. We poked through the wall and saw magnificen thand-carved mahogany doors that opened to a lobby of exquisite craftsmanship. Several dining rooms were serving what appeared to be delectable lunches to the guests. The hostess greeted us kindly and allowed us to explore the other rooms that were not then in use including the incredible antique cognac museum. We had heard that there was a cigar factory and wine cellar on site and asked where they might be. Our hostess directed us to walk through the garden grounds until we reached another large building on the opposite side of the property. We had no idea what we were in for!

Stepping out the back door of the restaurant, we entered a tropical paradise with two large swimming pools made from hand-painted tile, a modern and state of the art fitness center, a wonderful pergola with a mahogany dining table underneath set for a party, a Brazilian-style steak house restaurant, hotel rooms that were nearly invisible from the garden and lo and behold, the "cigar factory" in which workers spoke, joked and laughed happily while they fabricated cigars by hand.

We had to leave Graycliff all too soon. If when we visit Nassau again we have only a few hours, we will be sure to reserve a spot for their special wine lunch. If we have a few days, I can think of nowhere more exotic and luxurious to spend that time.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at the Graycliff hotel and it was absolutely fabulous. The people there are extremely friendly, the food and drink are over the top and the facilities are extremely comfortable and elegant.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Graycliff Hotel? Share your experiences!