“Little Gem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Greco Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Greco Hotel to your Saves list
El Greco Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   West Bay St | At Augusta St, P.O. Box N-4187, Nassau, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #17 of 33 hotels in Nassau
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Little Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I used El Greco on my last 7 day business trip to Bahamas staying for 7 nights (mid September 2012). Have used other hotels in Nassau in the past and never quite got to staying here until this trip. Location is excellent - 100 m from Nassau centre and Bay Street (main shopping) and on the main east/west highway so Jitneys (buses) are easily caught right outside. Hotel has 23 or so rooms on 2 floors and an internal courtyard with a small pool (being completely refurbished the day I left) that offers privacy to chill/sunbathe. Excellent value with all rooms en-suite and spacious with Air Con and ranging from $85 + taxes per night up to around $150 for the best suite (it really is good). Hotel just been purchased by a new owner and a refurbishment programme underway converting some of the bedrooms to cater more easily for the disabled and the empty restaurant to the front and owned by the hotel about to undergo a make-over to open soon with an associated bar I understand. This will add tremendously to the attractiveness of the hotel with breakfast being available on site not to mention a bar that will save going into Nassau or wherever. The beach is 30 m across the road with another small local bar - with cheap drinks and snacks. If you fancy a nice walk go west along beach or promenade to Arawak Cay where you will find many local bars for fun with good food, music, drink and great Bahamian atmosphere. The Cricket Club is also only a 10 minute walk west and opposite Arawak Cay. Going east into Nassau is the Hilton (very smart but rather bland, 'unfriendly' and expensive for drinks/food - gin & tonic $12!). opposite the Hilton is a McD and Dunkin Doughnuts for those who need them and further along and off Bay street are several good restaurants - Cafe Matisse, Brussels Bistro and Van Breugel's - all excellent for food/drink and atmosphere. Staff at hotel are very accommodating - just ask for Diane (reception) and/or Philip (manager) and the lovely head of housekeeping (sorry I forgot her name) - they will all do anything to sort things for you. Wi-fi works well in lobby but they were experiencing problems in getting signal in rooms - they were working on it and I presume this is now sorted. All in all a great stay and on my upcoming business and holiday trips to Bahamas and when I have to stay in Nassau I shall use El Greco without hesitation. Try it!!

Room Tip: Select rooms in main building and not those to the rear on far side of pool (until they are refurbis...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
greenville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We traveled to Bahamas for 1 week on a Budget. We stayed the 1st night at Comfort Suites in Paradise Island just because we wanted to experience Atlantis but did not have enough money for the whole week to stay there. Price at Comfort Suite for 4 of us was $360 a night price at el Greco at the Presidential Suite $140 although this room usually costs $180. I have many things to say the Prons and cons. I reserved with Youlanda and Diane 5 months ahead of time and it was the best customer service ever. They do everything they can to work things out with you concerning prices and any other issues you can have. They told me since I was booking so ahead of time they would give me a special rate of $140 per night for the Presidential Suite because that room normally costs between 180-200 a night. The Presidential Suite has the size of an 800sf apartment not kidding. It has to comfy queen beds with a seperate area for a dinning table and fridge and a seperate area for sitting. Then the biggest plus is the huge but huge Balcony you have facing the Junkanoo Beach. We traveled 11 in total all family members. Five of them stayed at the Junior Suite and let me tell you that room does not even get to the toes to the Presidential. Our room was so comfy that all the other family members would wake us up in the mornings to come and have breakfast with us and would not want to get out of our presidential suite ( so we had no intimacy at all) , no ones fault just that the room was so spacious like the size of an apartment that all 11 of us would be in there when we were not doing activities out. The truth I did not like at all the room they had and I think the real deal is the get any of the 3 rooms facing the ocean and if not you my night the Greco. I did not like that there was no hotwater during our stay and that is the con I put to the place. I loved the fact it was near to everything within walking distance and we never had to take a taxi unless going to Paradise Island. We went walking to the Fish Fry 3 times during the week ( it is a 10-15 minute walk). Went walking to the strawmarket (8-10 minute walk), downtown (8 minute walk). We chose this place because it was the only place that would allow us to stay 6 people in a room. All the other places I had quoted said I needed to reserve a 2nd bedroom. That is why I mentioned that Diane is willing to work everyhting out with you. When I 1st had booked I tolld Diane is was 5 ( both parents, 2 kids and Grandpa) but then Grandma jumped in the trip after I had reserved and I had no idea how I was going to be allowed for this extra person? Diane said it was a 4 person bedroom but 5 could be allowed. How could I then tell her it was no longer 5 persons but now it was 6? Well I decided to tell her and asked if there was an additional cost well guess what? Nope. I just asked for an extra rollabed for 10 per night and that was it. They really do not care if you are 5-6 or maybe 7 in a room as long as you can make your self fit. I did not hear any noise at night, in the daytime it is noisy but who cares you are not even in the room the whole day. It did not think it looked like a dangerous place like others have said my husband and dad went to the Fish fry walking at 9pm and came back at 11:30pm and nothing happened. Like others said no breakfast but there is coffee at the Lobby.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is a bargain boutique hotel and the staff genuinely seem to care about their guests. This is not your typical Bahamian hotel. The location is across the street from Junkanoo Beach/Lighthouse Beach/Western Esplanade and a short walk from Arawak Cay. It's also a quick walk from the shops and restaurants of downtown Nassau (about a half mile to the heart of downtown) and only a few blocks to conch fritters. The midsize rooms are set around a courtyard that contains bougainvillea-draped statues. The pool was small, but clean.

We stayed in the Presidential Suite. it is very large with an enormous shared balcony with wonderful beach views; cruise ships pass by each day and it is the only room directly facing the beach. Accommodations aren't that exciting, but they are clean and comfortable, with tiled floors, refrigerator, and a bright, Mediterranean-esque decor. The beds were very comfortable.

We stayed 4 nights and were treated very well by all of the staff; thank you Diane. The hotel no longer serves breakfast, but each morning there is coffee in the lobby. Many reviewers mention loud noise, but we didn't find that to be an issue at night. West Bay is a busy street during the day; it is noisy and there is a lot of dust.

During our trip to Nassau we also stayed at the Sheraton and Atlantis. All of the properties have pros and cons. It comes down to this: If you are not to picky, and like a kick-back atmosphere, with a public beach steps away, with friendly people that know your name, and you want to be amongst the people of Nassau verses thousands of tourists, then the El Greco Hotel is a great choice.

It was also nice not to have an additional $40 - $60 a night in service fees and 18% tax added to our bill (that is what the resorts charge). The El Greco Hotel rates include everything except 6% tax.

Room Tip: Call the hotel they will email you room descriptions and locations of rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Felt itchy staying at this place. Not sure if it was bed bugs. Room was average looking. Would not stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dearborn, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Pluses: wide comfortable bed, spacious room, wake-up call on departure day came as promised
Minuses: Noisy (SLAM! went the door of the adjacent room; staccato roar of motorcycles 2am; yelling in halls; throaty rumble of diesel trucks 4am; buzzing, hissing air conditioner.) Air conditioner seems to have no working thermostat – it runs even when the room has become clammy-cold; chilled occupant wakes up to turn it off again. Dirty: air conditioner mounted over the door has grime encrusted on its vents, and a large black smudge on the ceiling nearby marks where it blows air against the ceiling. Desk lamp base encrusted with grime. Water spots on bathroom faucets.) Knob on closet door came off in my hand (if anyone from the hotel reads this, I put it on the closet shelf in room 16). I had to unplug something (the TV?) to plug the desk lamp in (too few outlets). Very slow warm-up of shower water to lukewarm (not hot) -- when I complained of this the first morning, the desk clerk said “Just let the water run for 5 minutes.” A hotel in an island nation surrounded by salty water should not be encouraging such waste of fresh water. The washcloth provided is more like a flimsy paper tissue than a washcloth. No lobby PC to check email; no way to print boarding pass. When a guest unlocks the door with room key, enters the room, and closes the door, the door is then unlocked. The guest must remember to turn a little knob in the middle of the doorknob (visualize home bathroom) to relock the door. The door is then locked from the INSIDE also, so to leave the next day, the guest must turn the little knob again. All very well – but what if the guest is in panic to escape a fire in the middle of the night? On the third night of my four-night stay, the desk clerk called me, waking me from sleep, to tell me my credit card was “no good.” Much affrighted (such calls are a possible scam), I threw on clothes and rushed to the desk. The clerk confirmed he did call, and then explained that the hotel credit card reader was out of order. Surely this matter could have waited until morning. I could find no good place to eat breakfast near this hotel. Each morning when I entered the lobby to go out, a hotel employee on duty asked me whether “I need the room serviced today” – with demeanor and body language clearly pointing to the desired answer “No.”

Room Tip: Ignore restaurant rating (no restaurant). To choose a good room, go to another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Sarnia Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed at the El Greco on our way over by ferry to Eleuthera island to go to a vacation house there. We also stayed at the El Greco on our return trip to Nassau so we stayed two nights. We had our teenaged son with us and stayed in the Presidential Suite. The room was huge, had an amazing porch overlooking Junkanoo beach. The sheets were clean and the decor lovely. It was a very loud room. Even with the windows shut and the bathroom door shut we could hear garbage trucks and police cars really early in the morning which was fine since we were leaving early. We were delighted with the helpful female staff, however in the morning when we had a requested a cab be called early for us it did not happen because the front desk manager was asleep. ( This was a young man) We loved the beauty of the old world ornamental bricks and the flowers, the architecture and the furnishings. Sitting on the patio to watch the wild night life and the ships coming in and out of the harbour was fabulous. I just feel that if you are visiting a country that is less well off than your home country you should expect differences, unless you paid a huge amount of money. We did not pay a lot and got a beautiful room with an amazing view. Our friends stayed here too but had a poor experience with older rooms. We would recommend the Presidential Suite. I have poor knees and the walk up to our room was difficult dragging bags....no one helped us which surprised us somewhat ....on our return trip a young man did help us up to our room with our bags...so it must be hit or miss depending on the staff.

Room Tip: I imagine rooms on the back away from the beach are quieter and there really is no breakfast even th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Recently got back from a 4 night stay at El Greco. I had read all the reviews before my stay, (the good, the bad, and the downright ugly) and I have to say, my stay was better than I could have ever dreamed. This was a trip with my sister and we booked the presidential suite primarily because we wanted access to that huge patio and the great view of Junkanoo beach. Even though this suite is their most expensive room, it's still much cheaper than almost all other places in Nassau. In past visits, I've stayed at Radisson Cable Beach, and Comfort Suites on PI. This was a better hotel, with a better room, and a better view than either of those places.
The staff were WONDERFUL and treated us like family from the moment we arrived, and always asked us if we were having fun, what our plans for the day were, did we need anything, even asked if we'd managed to reach our mom and check in with her so she wouldn't worry. :)
Our room was large with 2 (very comfy) beds, a sitting room, dining area, fridge, and basic bathroom. Was the bathroom pristine? Nope. The fixtures weren't rusty, but, they'd obviously lived several years in a humid, salty, environment. We didn't care. Was the fridge pristine? Nope. It had some old, permanent, stains in it, but, otherwise did appear to have been scrubbed and it worked well. We didn't let it's appearance bother us. Was is peaceful and quiet outside? Nope. But inside, with the a/c running low we never noticed the outside noise. (For what it's worth, the evenings were quiet.)
Is there an in-room safe? Nope. But, the staff were more than happy to keep my passport and extra cash in their office safe for me.
We too experienced the lack of hot water that other reviewers mentioned, but, I know if we had complained they would have fixed the situation. The weather was just so beautifully warm everyday that we chalked our cold morning showers up to "another facet of the Nassau adventure."
We did use the pool one day, and while a lot of leaves and flower petals needed to be cleaned out, the water itself seemed to be clean. Did the debris bother us? Nope. We decided there were a lot of women in the world who'd pay big money at spas to bathe with flower petals and other assorted botanicals, and hopped right in.
I saw other reviewers seemed to find the neighborhood questionable. We didn't feel that way at all. In fact, I was up fairly early one morning (around 7 or 8 am) and took about an hour long walk up and around all the neighboring streets and found it to be very charming with lots of great photo opportunities. The streets were so peaceful you'd never know you were right in Nassau.
I guess the bottom line is this, if you're looking for a place that looks like all the other places you've stayed or is so clean & pristine that it still has the price tag on the window, then move on...El Greco isn't for you. If you're looking for a place that's small, full of character, has a beautiful staff, is located on a great beach, is perfectly located halfway between the fish fry and downtown, all at a very reasonable price, then you just might love El Greco as much as we did.

Room Tip: We stayed in the presidential suite which was on the second floor so it was fairly open, bright and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to El Greco Hotel? Share your experiences!