“Sloppyness with a smile” 3 of 5 stars
Review of El Greco Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Greco Hotel to your Saves list
El Greco Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   West Bay St | At Augusta St, P.O. Box N-4187, Nassau, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #17 of 33 hotels in Nassau
Barcelona, Spain
“Sloppyness with a smile”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Upon viewing my room (19) for the first time I was shocked. Dark and dirty looking, venetian blinds askew, broken floortiles, bits of window missing, rusty plumbing, large spots in the red carpet that I could only guess at. I had seen better in the jungle of Thailand. Large king bed though, and you could not deny the rustic charm. Old window type aircon, not seen since the 80-ies. But it worked. And after much fiddling with the few lightfittings, they worked too. And so did the plumbing. There was a new fridge with nothing in it, and a new flat screen tv. Nothing else, not even a glass. I went down and was given a styrofoam cup. This being sat. night there was a lot of noise from the street but after about 11 it got better. Breakfast is coffee/tea and english muffins at the pool. The reason all this disappears as previously reported is because the staff help themselves to it, not secretly but openly. 10 minutes after I arrived there was nothing left, the staff ate it all, so I guess if you are early you
should be OK. Room cleaning is spotty, but the staff are very friendly, will cheerfully agree to supply you with anything you ask, only to then forget it. It appears only 5 rooms out of 25 have been refurbished, so your chances of getting a lemon are 5 to 1. I was ,again cheerfully, offered another room (23) but this was no better, in fact smaller and darker. The hotel is for sale, so it remains to be seen if current management will go ahead with the promised refurbishment.
I agree with several previous reviewers, it is an opportunity missed. Great charm, great location if you don't mind the traffic. With new (professional) management and an overhaul this place would be a gem. For now though it is still the best value for money if you don't mind shifting to a backpacker's mindset.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The value of the El Greco Hotel is highlighted mainly by it's staff. I booked via phone and received a confirmation (as promised) by e-mail within 24 hours. On arrival (approximately noon), the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was cleaned and ready on arrival.

As requested in my initial booking, we were given a double bed room, in fact, there is only one double bed room on the second floor. Lonely Planet suggests requesting a sunny end room, however, none was available (and I'm not sure any of them have two beds).

The room:
Standard room with lots of closet and drawer space. Nice french doors leading to a common patio sitting area. The room was relatively clean, and when I say relatively, I mean it could use a thorough top to bottom and in the corners cleaning, however, it was free of bugs and visible dirt. Although the bathroom had some hair on the floor in the corner...the main use areas were cleaned daily and in a sanitary way (I observed the process briefly). I extended the reservation part way through the trip, but that meant having to change rooms for the last night. We stayed on a main floor room which also included a ceiling fan and a stand up shower. I preferred the lower level room.

The hotel:
Extremely pleasant. Some rooms had a balcony overlooking the pool area (the pool was very clean and refreshing). Amazing location immediately across the street from Junkanoo Beach, and although there is no crosswalk at the intersection, Nassau drivers are accustomed to letting pedestrians cross and do so in a safe and friendly way (everywhere).
The hotel provides tea, coffee, and toast in the morning until 10am. Some may review this in a poor way, but it was a very pleasant experience each morning. The hotel is a short walk from downtown Nassau, including various beaches. The buses drive by the hotel continuously, although we never needed to take the bus as everything is within reasonable walking distance. Late evening saw the night life come alive which ultimately lead to some street noise, but it was usually short lived and not excessive. If you have trouble getting to sleep, this might be an issue until it quiets down.

The staff:
Spectacular. Anything you need, they will do. In some cases it may not happen right away, but they try their best. The staff is knowledgeable about tours etc, and what they don't know, they will phone and find out. The staff was always friendly and welcoming, with a farewell hug on departure day. In the evenings, friends of the staff tend to hang out in the lobby. If this scares you, that's pretty sad, but they are just having a good time hanging out, and it never interfered with the work needed, and we never felt insecure.

Overall:
Very good value for money relative to location. The staff, however, made this place great! I would definitely recommend this to anyone and if I go back, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: West side quieter. Sunny end room might be nice, but not sure. Lower level rooms appear to be a bi...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

A month ago I visited Nassau. One of the most beautiful islands in the Bahamas. I decided to go there after a few friends told me of their experiences. I soon discovered what they couldn't stop talking about for ourselves, “The Bahamas is truly a getaway."
I went to the Straw Market, the Fish Fry, Atlantis, etc. I visited so many places that captivated our interests and enticed our senses that if i were to write it all, there would be no room for anyone else, lol!
What impressed me the most was the Bahamian people; in particular "the staff, and "The El Greco Hotel."
Upon our arrival there I was greeted with such beautiful glowing faces and warm smiles that I knew from inception I made the right choice in accommodations. The staff was also well-mannered, which is rare. Sometimes when you choose a hotel in a country that you have never visited before, you are a bit skeptical.
However, The El Greco Hotel made me feel right at home. There was a continental breakfast served right by the pool which was out in the garden. You could smell the salt water and the beach air feel the cool breeze and soak up some of the sun all at the same time. The rooms were immaculately clean and had soft beds. The hot water was not sporadic, and it was spacious with a colorful and unique decor. All of the amenities were working. I had fresh clean towels and air-conditioning for the nights that were a bit too warm. Large flat screens to watch, and Wi-Fi which allowed us to do all the things we regularly do home via computer. We had no reasons for complaining at all. Rather, I had to tip them all the time.
The women and men there had pleasant attitudes and went far and beyond the extra mile to accommodate our every whim. They were knowledgeable and offered insight about all the cool night life places to go.
I truly enjoyed our stay at The El Greco Hotel. I highly recommend them to anyone that really wants the ultimate experience of a lifetime because they are what made our vacation so special. It was a home away from home at a very affordable price. The Bahamian Hotel experience surpassed all of our expectations at The El Greco Hotel. I am definitely going back soon.

Go and see for yourself.

Room Tip: view overlooking beach
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We booked this accommodation early in 2011 to ensure that we got a suite for the Christmas and New Year period. At the time reviews were good but they have steadily gone downhill since, along with the hotel it seems.

The pros:

We upgraded to one of the large suites which had access to the shared terrace overlooking the beach across the road which was wonderful to sit and relax on.

Good location, directly across from Junkanoo Beach for sunbathing and swimming and watching the cruise ships come in.

Buses ran right outside hotel going to either end of the island for $1.25 Bahamas dollars.

Walking distance to Nassau centre and Fish Fry.

Diane on reception was very pleasant and helpful.

We asked for a fridge in the room and received a brand new one for our stay which was excellent to keep our Kalik beers cold.

Free wi-fi

Cons:

We arrived a day late due to flight issues and our room wasn't ready (even though we had paid for the night before). We then had to wait three hours for towels and toilet paper despite asking several times. We eventually went to get them. Not great after a long journey and three flights from the UK.

This became a daily problem. The cleaners often woke us very early and when we asked if we could be cleaned later they said that the maids would be gone. Several times we got up and left our room so that it could be cleaned and when we returned an hour and a half later it still hadn't been done. Eventually we stopped asking for our room to be serviced but then we couldn't get fresh towels or toilet paper!

Breakfast! After reading the last review I nearly laughed out loud! Our booking stated that breakfast was included and a previous review mentioned that it was brought to your room. When we enquired about breakfast on our first morning we were shown two urns, one tea and one coffee and that was it! No food, nothing - the urns were often empty too. It was entertaining though to see new arrivals bound down for 'breakfast' only to sulk back empty handed. To tease there was a microwave and two toasters there but alas nothing to put in them - I guess you had to bring your own - if only we had been told.

To summarise this could have been a great hotel in a wonderful location and we did have a fantastic holiday in Nassau. Judging by past reviews it has been a great hotel in years gone by and we only hope that it can get back to its former glory and not close down like other hotels close by.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

i"m happy i found el greco hotel before reading these reviews. i love the hotel,i travel frequently to the bahamas on bussiness and always stayed at elgreco hotel. i have stayed in nearly every room and have never had a problem. yes , some rooms are old but i have never had these proplem and most for all the staff is wonderful and the hotel is charming and wow what i love most of all, breakfast delivered to my room every morning. for me i will always stay at el greco hotel...........

Room Tip: i love their suite but they are always booked so you will have to booked them in advance.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I unfortunately was told this was a decent property on my recent trip to Nassau (Jan 23-25 2012). The room was in a good location as others have stated (right across from Junkanoo beach) and very easy access to buses and central to the downtown straw market or fish fry.

However, I came back to the room late and when I pulled back the sheets there was blood on the blanket and sheet. I was MORTIFIED!!!!!! Additionally the shower had hair in it and the shower curtain was completely mildewed. I was traveling alone and was visiting Nassau for the 1st time and did not know where to go. So I was stuck here til I was able to check out as soon as the sun rose.

I agree that the staff is nice and were VERY apologetic..even offered to bump me to a suite room for the cheapest local rate...I said NO. The hotel is not big and so if the cleaning practices existed as they did for my room, I had no faith in the conditions of any other rooms on this property.

PLEASE HEED THIS REVIEW AND STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Herndon, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Pros of Hotel: Good location since it is walking distance to downtown. Located on the main street going to downtown. Bay Street and Cunningham intersection. Junkanoo beach is directly in front of hotel, but you have to cross Bay Street. Easy to get taxis and or the bus in front of hotel. Safe – next door to police station; hotel staff closed the front door at night, but are always there if you come in late. Cozy hotel with European feel. Friendly staff. Free wifi with strong signal in room. 10 minute walk to Arawak Fish Fry. 10 minute walk to the downtown area. Room rates are cheaper than those on Paradise Island and Cable Beach. No extra maid fees on the room rate (I guess 'cause they didn't seem to clean anyway).
Hotel cons: Breakfast was just bread, coffee and tea. (McDonald’s and Dunkin Donuts is a short walk).

Pros of rooms: big flat screen TV with basic cable channels. Working A/C. spacious. walkout deck shared with 4 other rooms. Bed was comfortable. Sheets were satisfactorily clean.. No bed bugs in our bed, surprisingly. No cockroaches, mosquitos, or bugs in the room.
Cons of rooms: Old/dirty run-down room (#15). All the nicer, renovated rooms had already been booked, supposedly per the check-in manager. Dirty bathroom, toilet, spotty hot water, weak shower, dirty shower area, old stained toilet, bathroom not clean, stained faucet, dirty walls & carpet. The cleanliness/quality of this room was worst than a Days Inn – at least our room seemed that way. Towels were old, but fairly clean. We kept our baggage on the dressers because the carpeting and floor was just dark and dirty. We used slippers in the room instead of barefeet. Lighting in room was insufficient. Bathroom light fixture was loose so it needed jiggling to get it to work. You have to ask them to make up the room every morning otherwise they probably won’t do it.

Overall, this place could be better, but the old, unmaintained rooms is a major turn-off. We ended up staying here because of the price and location, but I hate the cleanliness and age of room.

Room Tip: Avoid dirty room #15. Supposedly they have other renovated rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Greco Hotel? Share your experiences!