“Rooms need overhaul” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Nassau
Washinton ,DC
“Rooms need overhaul”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

Was not happy with the rooms at this hotel. Rooms were small and the second room we encountered (because the first bed was sunken in the middle) had stains on the walls and floor , the toleiet broke the first day, wouldn't flush and the door knob to the closet fell on the floor. After complaining to the duty manager we ended up with a pretty decent room but not until the next afternoon. The exterior of the hotel is nice has a patio bar and fairly nice patioo area on the harbor side but it ( the bar) closed early each night. If you're looking for quiet nights and a nice beach area it may be ok if you dont mind looking at the large cruise ships coming in and out of the harbor each morning. Wont stay here again!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Massachusetts, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Stayed at Hilton last night in Bahamas before our flight. Spent the whole week at Atlantis first. Let me start off by saying the hotel is very nice the rooms are really pretty, clean and comfy. The bathroom is beautiful. All in all it was a nice stay and they had a great restaurant downstairs. I thought the beach was rahter small and the pool was green. I said out loud that I would never go to Nassau and stay there for a vacation I would definitely splurge and go to Paradise Island and Atlantis. No comparison whatsoever. Paradise Island is georgous and even if you don't stay at Atlantis its still better to be there. The beach on Paradise Island is 100% better.
Just my 2 cents.
I do feel that Hilton was the nicest hotel available in Nassau.

• Liked — clean rooms
  • Disliked — beach and pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

In May 2007 my wife and I spent a week in the Bahamas at the British Colonial Hilton. The Hilton is all about Location, Location and Location. The commercial district begins right outside the hotel, includes the Straw Market and the numerous shops and government buildings. Hilton all the way, an attentive and friendly staff, its own private beach, makes this a fine choice to enjoy the Bahamas.

It has to be noted that the room price has several surcharges which raised our $319 per night to about $364. There were taxes and energy surcharges plus $4 per day per person for maid service. At that mandatory gratuity rate it seems you are paying the maid’s entire compensation.

As Hilton Gold members we were given a nice room and also coupons for their cold breakfast buffet, gratuity included. You could pay the difference for the full hot breakfast. I do not know what their policy is at other times of the year, but in any event I recommend that you join the frequent guest program wherever you stay. You have nothing to lose and some perks to possibly gain.

While we ate all our meals at sit down service restaurants, if you are on a budget you could get a take out $4 breakfast across the street, and lunch at a McDonalds if you wanted to “white bag” lunch at the pool. There was also Conch Fritters across the street which we ate at for one lunch. There are numerous restaurants in Nassau and Paradise Island to choose from. We found the average supper, soup or appetizer and one round of drinks, coffee and desert, to be $135 to $150 for the two of us. This includes a mandatory 15 percent gratuity universally added for all food service. We added a bit for the good service we received and always elicited a smile. In general, a dollar went a long way to reward extra service and elicit a smile.

While shopping was interesting, souvenirs of course in all varieties, it seems the Straw Market is now a pseudo pocket book outlet. It has to be up to the individual to decide if the name brand logos are legitimate or knockoffs. Our gut feeling was that the government of Bahamas does not care and just lets things go on without interference.

One attraction you can walk to is the Pirate Museum. Including an actual ship inside the museum building, many varied and interesting exhibits, and an all pirate gift shop, we found this both an educational as well as an entertaining place to visit.
We felt that the convenient location and not needing taxis for shopping or the Pirate Museum, made for some savings staying at the Nassau Colonial Hilton.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not enough storage space for clothes
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ATL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

The front desk staff was nice, but unprofessional. I had to wait while they played with a baby! Staff was very nice, but slow to assist. The room was nice and spacious. It had a wonderful view. The property is beautiful. The lobby is very clean and upscale. The shower however was nasty. I did not feel comfortable without shower shoes. Other than that I would most likely will not stay at the hotel again. I excepted more from the Hilton. Glad I only paid a small fraction of the price.

Stayed July 2007
Gatwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

I stayed at the Hilton on business for 5 days in June 07 and had a very nice stay.
Check in was very fast and simple.
Room was nice with a large bathroom and lots of the usual soaps etc.
Bed was lovely. TV, games machine, coffee making in room, (but the plug on the wall didnt work)..no mini bar as it was missing but no matter as I never use them.
Found the safe had been locked shut by previous person and asked reception to sort it out...a security guard came with the engineer and insisted I watch as they opened it.

I used the business centre a lot and found it quite expensive but average for hotels, ie $10 for 30mins of internet use.
Meals were good and not too expensive, as were drinks.
Check out was the usual mess as I had a huge list of items against my room from the mini bar, when I said I was sure it wasnt me they asked how could I be so sure, I replied 'there is no mini bar in the room'...items deleted without fuss unlike a recent similar experience in Egypt.
When I checked out I managed to leave a drawer full of shirts behind, a week later on the way to the airport I went in on the off chance they may have been found...before I could say anything they said welcome back and remembered my name!! they then said they had found some of my items in the room and sent for them...That was a first class service that I have only ever found in the Far East...I would have understood if I was some sort of big shot but I'm not and was only staying in a cheap room.

The Hilton is right were you want to be if visiting Nassau, next to the Straw market where you can get all those last minute things for people you feel you have to buy something for.. fake bags, ash trays, T shirts etc.

Next to this is a small internet shop that only charges 10 cents a minute thats $6 per hour not $20.

Try a bar next door to the Hilton called Senor Frog, this serves drink and good food very cheap.

I was in Nassau for 5 days and that was enough; a visit to Paradise Island and the casino, a power boat trip, a day shopping in town and that was about it. Went on a visit to some other islands (Grand Bahama and Abaco) and if staying on holiday I would go here.

Finally I would like to congratulate the staff at the Hilton for being excellent; they were helpful, friendly always polite, they made me feel welcome, I would certainly advise staying here if visiting Nassau..

• Liked — Friendly staff and location
  • Disliked — nothing...it was ok or good in every respect.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

We stayed here for 8 nights at the end of June and we had a blast. The staff was wonderful. They were always very courteous and could answer or help with anything we needed. The pool was small but we never had a problem finding a seat. The beach was okay. No real water fish and the beach wasn't huge. However, there were again more than enough chairs.
We ate the continental breakfast most mornings because we're not big breakfast eaters. It was okay nothing to write home about. The hot buffet could be added for $ 6.00 (hilton honors price) and had plenty of choices for just about any of the breakfast foods you could ask. The portofino restaraunt wasn't too terribly expensive in comparison to similar restraunts in the area and we enjoyed it. We only ate at the pool bar one time and it did take quite a while for the food to come out but was pretty good. Drinks were very yummy but expensive. ($7.00 for frozen drinks) We reserved a minifridge and were not charged for it then walked around the corner to the liquor store to buy a $14.00 bottle of bacardi. Also, there is a little grocery store downtown (bay street market) that the locals use and we found to have the cheapest prices on soft drinks and water. We also got other snacks. This saved a ton of money as water is 2.50 a bottle or higher throughout the island. As for drinking on the beach, we had a collapsable cooler and put it in the bottom of our bookbag. We never had a problem with anyone telling us that we couldn't drink it. The location for this hotel is great and we saved a ton of money in taxi fees to the paradise island. This is not a resort and you kinda have to make things happen if you want to stay busy. Also, the water smells a little in the shower. I don't think they could really do anything about this. We visited the atlantis while staying here and if you're wanting a mega resort, pay the extra and stay there. I found Atlantis to be a little too much like staying in one of the disney resorts for me. Also the drinks there were $20.00. We would much rather spend that extra money getting to visit the locals and doing the different activities that the island has to offer.
Oh, on another note, junkanoo in june was very interesting to see and during the month of June all the schools have their proms at this resort. It was truly amazing and is nothing like the US. The prom is not the main event, making an entrance is and they love to top one another. We spent several nights before dinner just watching to see how they would top the person that came in before them. The hotel kept everything flowing and were well prepared for these events so that it would not disturb the guests.

• Liked — I loved the staff and the location was perfect. The huge bathroom.
  • Disliked — Not having enough drawers.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
st. louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

I was pleased with the service of the employees at this hotel. The location is a whole other long story. Do not stay at this hotel if you want privacy and peace and quiet. Do not stay at this hotel if you want to be in a urban space that stays open until 2am. Everything around the hotel closed by 6pm. Except for the abnotious Senor Frog's right next door and super loud on average. This hotel rests in Nassau habour and I was overwelmed by the large and loud cruise ships arrived every couple of hours. Sometimes there was four a day! Everyone claims I should have stayed on Cable Beach in Nassau but the Hotwire.com stuck me there. Overal Nassau is over-priced especially for tourists and most servers in the restaraunts were not so eager to please the customers. The gratuity was included in the price everywhere I went! YUK! Just when I had enough...there were four different weddings and receptions at the hotel on my last night. I couldn't even enjoy the last sunset of my vacation for getting run off the beach by blushing brides and crying family members/guests.

• Liked — The GREAT employees!
  • Disliked — location in Nassau
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to British Colonial Hilton Nassau? Share your experiences!