We spent four nights at the BC Hilton between December 28th and January 1st. The hotel is centrally located with many things to do and see within walking distance and a short taxi ride to other attractions (such as The Atlantis and the Fish Fry areas). We were a group of 11 and had five rooms. The rooms were all in good order with no significant issues. The bathrooms were large, the rooms had a refrigerator, and the AC systems, lighting, and TVs all worked well. Internet access in the rooms is hard wired, while internet access in the lobby area is wireless. Most of the time the connections were fine. Room pricing isn't on the low end, but neither is it the most expensive. Food and drink quality was good, although pricey and might be expected. Service was cordial, but at a "Bahamian Pace" (meaning...don't expect rapid-fire food or drink appearing at your table, but don't take it as inattentiveness either). Our group included Diamond, Gold, and Blue Hilton members, so it ran the spectrum of add-on services. The hotel staff was cordial and helpful in arranging taxis, trips, or other needs.
There is a sundry shop in the lobby that has a reasonable assortment of snacks, souvenirs, etc. We used it for soft drinks and water for convenience. A few "Helpful Hints" to consider:
1) Bar drinks are on the pricey side, but if you go across the street, there is a duty free liquor store that offers beer and liquors. A bottle of gin or rum or such can be had for between $8 and $14. That, along with a soda or mixer and some plastic cups, can go a long way when sitting out by the water or in the hotel garden area. Although you will see signs that they "Do not accept cash", that seemed true only at the pool/beach bar area (Where you used room charge or credit card). Otherwise the other food and drink areas in the hotel would take cash.
2) Keep in mind that in the Bahamas all food/drink service already has a service charge (tip) included in pricing. It is a 15% charge automatically added to your tab. We generally added a few dollars, but don't assume that you need to add 15-20% as a gratuity to you bill....it is in there.
3) Taxis are not cheap, but neither are they too pricey. Generally, the fare quoted is for the first two occupants with each additional occupant at $3. The price does not include gratuity so a few dollars added on is appropriate. Taxi drivers were all considerate, polite, and helpful answering questions about the area.
4) The market area is located about one-block from the hotel. It serves the cruise ship passengers so it is open from about 9 a.m. until about 5 pm. After that, the area is mostly closed shops. The Straw Market has the expected "Tourist Souvenirs" along with some interesting wood-carvings.
5) The Fish Fry area has excellent food at nice prices. We took a taxi once as well as walked. About a 15 minute walk along the water. We ate at a few places...Frankie Gone Bananas was just "OK". Other smaller food stalls had better prices and were less "Franchise" feeling. Walk a bit and take your pick. On Friday and Saturday evenings there is a "Food Truck" type set up across the street from the main Fish Fry area. The gentleman's set up is "The Grill Master". Great food, nice pricing, and popular with the locals and those tourists willing to walk across the street. Order your food, watch him fix it, and enjoy on a picnic table.
All in all, we would consider the BC Hilton on a next trip...although perhaps during a less crowded time of year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on downtown Nassau’s only private beach and the site of Old Fort Nassau, the British Colonial Hilton in the Bahamas has undergone a multi-million renovation throughout all areas of the hotel, and offers a taste of the island’s rich history, along with some of the most modern amenities for both business and vacation travelers. What’s more the hotel is only 25 minutes from Nassau (Lynden Pindling International) Airport. The hotel is a true Bahamian experience with a marble-tiled lobby and is studded with palm trees under a skylight ceiling. There are 288 luxuriously appointed guest rooms with harbor or island views. All rooms are furnished with tasteful decor, complemented by separate shower and bathtub. One-bedroom suites offer a separate living area with sofa bed, and Executive accommodations are also available along with the Executive Lounge, where attentive hotel staff assures that every need and whim will be met during your stay. Recreational activities are convenient and varied for leisure and business travelers alike. A 300-ft long private white sand beach is furnished with lounge chairs and thatched sunshades overlooking the harbor offering a peaceful and secluded access for an ocean swim or a day in the sun. Use of kayaks and snorkeling gear on the beach is complimentary. Bordered on one side by a tropical garden, the hotel's freshwater pool offers harbor views and has an expansive sundeck with lounge chairs and umbrellas. Both the sundeck and beach offer views of cruise ships moored nearby, and of the western tip of Paradise Island, 300 yards offshore. Guests can snooze in hammocks on the lawn adjacent to the pool. The property can also organize trips out reef snorkeling island exploring, boating, golf, tennis and scuba diving. For dining options, Aqua is a fun, casual restaurant serving international favorites with a Caribbean flair, or guests can meet up for cocktails at the Bullion Bar. The new Bullion Bar is the 'place to be seen' for happy hour with great drink specials and tasty snacks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Orbitz, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your British Colonial Hilton Nassau reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- British Colonial Hilton Nassau Hotel Nassau
- Hilton Hotel Nassau
- Hilton Nassau
- Nassau Hilton
- British Colonial Hilton Nassau Bahamas