“A pleasnat night at the Hilton British Colonial” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$159 (USD)
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Andros, Bahamas
“A pleasnat night at the Hilton British Colonial”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst on a trip to Nassau to attend a function at Government House. We used to be frequent guests at the property prior to it becoming a HIlton but had not stayed there since. We were both very impressed with what we encountered.
The staff were excellent and extremely helpful particularly the concierge and front desk staff.
The room was small, but nice. I loved the separate shower, although hubby felt it was too small and he felt too shut in. The bed was wonderful and we both slept extremely well, something we rarely do when traveling..

The one negative to our trip was that in rushing to check out to be at the airport for 6:00 am. I managed to leave 2 bottles of wine that I had been given as a Christmas gift in the room. When we arrived home I called the hotel to enquire about them and to arrange for someone to collect them for me and was told that no-one from housekeeping had reported them as being found. I found this to be disappointing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shanasco C, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau.

Once again, thank you for your comments as they are crucial in helping us to pin point areas of improvement. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Shanasco Campbell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed here on business, a 'quiet' room specifically requested. I was checked into a room by the entry/exit security door to the main corridor & opposite the ice machine (room 253).

I called downstairs to let reception know this room was not suitable (there is no way anyone could get any sleep in that room). Receptionist huffed/puffed & immediately said she couldn't give me a quiet 'double' room (she didn't even bother to look! or at least pretend to!!) Only a quieter room 'two single beds'. Leaving me with no choice she told me to come back downstairs (with my luggage) & she would give me a new key. I asked if the concierge could assist with my bags & come up with the key, she said no. Having just arrived off a long flight it was the last thing I had the energy to do..

Regardless of her request I left my luggage in room 253 & went downstairs to get the key to the new room. Funny old thing - different floor! (one floor up) & a room on the farthest wing, on the right hand side of the hotel. Carrying briefcase, bags and suitcase up and down stairs was terrible. However, at the time I remember saying to myself just grin and bare it, at least I will be able to have a hot bath and a good nights sleep in a quiet room... the end is in sight!

Since I was so tired I couldn't be bothered to complain about the new room (room 369) until the next day after what turned out to be a (rubbish!) nights sleep. A nightclub was that side of the hotel and went on until all hours of the night. Men were working in the building opposite and what sounded like drills, an electric saw and (what I found out later) also a generator started from 5am! The bathroom was disgusting - very dirty (see the photos attached) & the single beds so tiny to the point you fall off if you turn over. I consider myself to be in a 'normal' size range: 5'8 & 63kgs, have never had any problems before - these beds were truly uncomfortable and small.
I finally had had enough & complained in person back at reception when I didn't get a crucial wake up call & notification of a delayed pick up on my transport (of an hour & a half!) They admitted they forgot to change my room number on the central manifest so it appeared I was still in room 253. On closer inspection the phone in my room lacked the cord for connection anyway (see photo attached) so no calls would have made regardless!!

Having the facility to withdraw cash over the reception counter in this hotel I signed for USD & was given Bahamian.. Be careful!

My room wasn't serviced two days in a row. Day 1: called three times on one particular day to get fresh towels, soap bar & toilet paper. 10am, 1pm & 6pm. The privacy sign was left off the door handle on purpose. Day 2: no service yet again. Had to call down twice for supplies (tea bags, cups) When service eventually turned up it was half of what I had asked for and delivered just over an hour later.

Having found some time off during this business trip I sat by the pool and algae infested beach for a few days - cruise ships come in and out beeping their horns, blaring loud music, glass and rubbish is scattered and brought up with the tide onto the sand (the list goes on..!) - no drinks service offered by the bar staff. Have to go the poolside bar & get it yourself.

Guest Internet wifi does not work. Public wifi does not work. Business centre Internet is very, very slow & works occasionally.

Having stayed in Hilton Hotels elsewhere this is definitely the worst in terms of service (non caring & lazy) and cleanliness I have ever come across.

Negative service in its finest form was raised when I complained to reception directly - it was met with a non caring and non committal attitude. Even though it is clear from the pictures I could not take a bath (rust leaking from the taps) they were not prepared to change my room again and somehow made me appear unreasonable.

It's certainly worth spending the extra money & staying in another hotel - head for Paradise Island. Better services, customer service orientated and lots more on offer in terms of activities. Give the main street of Nassau a miss - it is filled with thousands of t-shirt shops and people trying hard (annoyingly so) to sell you tat. Restaurants there I wouldn't bother with - unless you like everything fried and unhealthy. More of a selection (healthy or unhealthy) on Paradise Island.

Room Tip: Head to Paradise Island..! (and if you HAVE to stay here avoid room 253 & 369!)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback via TripAdvisor. We always appreciate hearing from our guests and we will work with our housekeeping and maintenance teams to address and rectify the issues you noted with the cleanliness and presentation of our property. We strive to provide our guests with the best accommodations and hospitality possible and your comments will help us as we continuously work to improve our guests' satisfaction. We hope you will consider staying with us again and experiencing the quality service and surroundings you deserve, should you return to the area in the future.

Best Regards.
Chester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed at this hotel and had a great time with many friends. Hotel bar staff was very friendly and made our stay quite enjoyable. Pool bar also very good and the food out there was very good. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Entire hotel staff were very friendly and polite. Would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau.

Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at our hotel! I am so glad that you had an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The rooms are clean but seem small because the beds are squeezed into a space that you have to manoevre around, it's weird and the tv is so close, attached to the wall, can't be good for your eyes and you can ony watch it whilst you lie on the bed. The beach is awful. You think of Bahamas and beaches, you think lovely, NO! This has oil and probably waste from all the ships parked by. It's not clean and is a tiny space they have cordoned off with buoys. You have constant loud music from señor frogs next door blaring out, plus a music from the bar/cafe near the pool. Food from there is ok if you like everything fried with chips. Ate in the restaurant in the evening and was pleasantly surprised, it was lovely, but cold in there, you need a jumper, the air con was full on. Having stayed at many Hitons all over the world you sort of expect a certain quality on offer. Whilst the staff were friendly znd helpful, that comes down to Bahamian character, they were lovely, but you go to Bahamas for a beach and weather, the first this hotel can't offer you, luckily for the latter, they have no say in it. No, I won't be booking into this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shanasco C, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

We regret to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations. Because of that, please accept my apologies. We understand that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process.

I am truly pleased to read such positive feedback about the excellent customer service that our staff provided. Should you decide to return, please contact me directly and I will arrange all of the necessary details.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I am a Hilton Honors member who was recently visiting the Bahamas on a cruise and decided to take a look at the hotel for a possible future visit. Stopped by the concierge desk to ask if I could take a look and also to get some recommendations for dining. Even though I wasn't actually a guest, they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The doorman was was also wonderful. Will definitely be back for a vacation stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your very short visit with us at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau.

I am extremely glad to learn that you were completely satisfied with our service. We are truly glad that we met your expectations thanks to our doormen and concierge team.

Your comments are very valuable to us and we look forward to more opportunities to show you our hospitality!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in early December. While there were many positives about this hotel, I feel that the overall value for money dampened the experience somewhat. Firstly when we arrived we were informed of an additional charge of $12 per day per person in energy taxes and $5 per day per person for cleaning. It annoyed me that this is not more clearly advertised and added over $100 to our already expensive room rate. Further, the rooms are dated and nothing special. we were at the side on the fifth floor and the windows in our room did not take advantage of the potential view. There was an empty fridge which is always helpful but as the room was not that pleasant there was no desire to sit and have a drink in our room etc. the hotel restaurant is very expensive and there are not many alternatives in the street. While I liked the located being just around the corner from the Main Street in nassau, at night it felt a bit sketchy, dark and deserted. However, lots of fun during the day and having also spent time in an isolated part of the island, i really found value in being situated just a minute from the main action! We felt that restaurant options were lacking and this forced to spend a fortune in the hotels restaurant. On a side not, Olives cafe on the mainstreet was a great lunch option! The hotel bar was a cheaper food option, however it took an hour to get a small dish. No big deal when on holiday but for the price you are paying it just all feels a bit irritating! The staff in the bar were lovely though! The main advantage of this hotel is the pool and beach area! There are ample lounges and cabanas around the pool and the frozen daiquris are delicious!! The cruise ships are very close but this didn't bother us as the quality of the water was still amazing and crystal clear! Overall, good location and facilities but overpriced in terms of the level of accomodation.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We regret to hear that you were unaware of taxes prior to your arrival. For clarification, service charges are union mandated for all major hotels in Nassau. Guests are informed of taxes, fees and service charges at the time of booking and these are also outlined in confirmation emails. Please accept our sincere apologies for your inconvenience.

I am truly pleased to read such positive feedback about the excellent customer service that our bar staff provided. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the pool and beach.

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton, as its very British, with the British values....... the hotel is very close to downtown Nassau, with shops, food places & bars all very close.
The beach is fine, I did actually see a sting ray and a few fish when snorkeling on my last day...the pool is nice and relaxing, and was not too busy when I was there..
The rooms are spacious and if you get a room at the back of the hotel, then you will see all the cruise liners turning around... as they either come in or go out..
I felt very safe walking around Nassau, and went over to Paradise Island one evening which I hated..it was just too comercialised...
The hotel caters for weddings and I saw 3 weddings taking place whilst I was there..
The hotel sorted out a couple of snorkelling trips that I went on...with no hassles at all... in fact all the staff were very nice... and everyone greeted you with a smile...and a hello..
I did find the hotel food expensive, so ate out, in fact there is a take-away opposite, for those late night nibbles
If you do come here, hire a car for a day, and see the island..its well worth it...but overall I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton.

Room Tip: back of the hotel, so you can overlook the sea
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the valuable feedback pertaining to your recent stay at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our facilities including the pool and beach, as well as spacious rooms.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to your return!

Shanasco Campbell

Been to British Colonial Hilton Nassau? Share your experiences!