“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton, as its very British, with the British values....... the hotel is very close to downtown Nassau, with shops, food places & bars all very close.
The beach is fine, I did actually see a sting ray and a few fish when snorkeling on my last day...the pool is nice and relaxing, and was not too busy when I was there..
The rooms are spacious and if you get a room at the back of the hotel, then you will see all the cruise liners turning around... as they either come in or go out..
I felt very safe walking around Nassau, and went over to Paradise Island one evening which I hated..it was just too comercialised...
The hotel caters for weddings and I saw 3 weddings taking place whilst I was there..
The hotel sorted out a couple of snorkelling trips that I went on...with no hassles at all... in fact all the staff were very nice... and everyone greeted you with a smile...and a hello..
I did find the hotel food expensive, so ate out, in fact there is a take-away opposite, for those late night nibbles
If you do come here, hire a car for a day, and see the island..its well worth it...but overall I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton.

Room Tip: back of the hotel, so you can overlook the sea
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Shanasco C, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the valuable feedback pertaining to your recent stay at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our facilities including the pool and beach, as well as spacious rooms.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to your return!

Shanasco Campbell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My stay at this hotel was overall a big disapointment: 1) The hotel claims to be inside a historic building - if this is true 95% of the 'historic" parts disappeared. From outside the hotel looks like an East German soviet style building only painted in pastel colors. 2) I arrived late on a Saturday evening and after a quick check-in I was informed that the bar was open until midnight, which I found very strange for a Saturday night inside a Hilton on a island famous for vacation. When I arrived at the bar at 23.35 p.m., I was told the bar is closed and only after some begging I got a beer. 3) Since the bar was closed, I ordered 2 more beers and a sandwich for room service, which cost me over 40 USD - outrageous. 4) Just in front of my hotel room there were cars passing all the time with very very loud music all night long (at least those guys had fun). I was prepared and used my earplugs. 5) The hotel is totally overpriced for what you get. 6) The beach on the property is nothing special - more like an excuse so the hotel can say it has a beach. Forget swimming because the water is full of algae. Good were the friendly check-in, the excellent breakfast and the pool area.
It is a pity but I can only recommend to look for somewhere else to spend your money and time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Shanasco C, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback via TripAdvisor. We always appreciate hearing from our guests and strive to provide our guests with the best accommodations and hospitality possible. Your comments will help us as we continuously work to improve our guests' satisfaction. We hope you will consider staying with us again and experiencing the quality service you deserve.

Once again, thank you for your comments as they are crucial in helping us to pin point areas of improvement.

Best Regards.
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Some of the reasons I selected this hotel were because of the beach and proximity to town. We spent 4 nights on vacation - two at this Hilton and two on Paradise Island. Thought it would be nice to be in town or close to town for part of the trip. Everything in town closes down around 5 or 6 and then there's nothing to do with kids. We could easily have been on Paradise Island for the entire trip and taken the ferry over to town one day. The beach is not that great - it's small and it's in the harbor area so the view is not amazing. I thought we would use the beach a lot more and we didn't, this might be a great location for couples with no kids or for business travel, but for family travel I would not recommend. However, there were plenty of good things here, the staff was great, the room was clean and the breakfast was really good. And very close to the fish fry strip of restaurants which was really good too. But on the other hand wi fi was NOT good - we could only get it to work in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau.

Thanks for your comments about your recent stay with us. We hope to see you return again soon.

Hollywood, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed at the British Colonial Hilton Nassua for 2 nights over Thanksgiving.

The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant but the physical appearance appears to be deteriorating. In particular, the hallway carpets were extremely dirty and stained and millwork in both public areas and the guest room were scratched or showed signs of wear. More attention needs to be applied to cleanliness and housekeeping, especially the walk-in shower.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Shanasco C, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

We regret to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations. Because of that, please accept my apologies. We understand that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the Housekeeping Director for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

I am truly pleased to read such positive feedback about the excellent customer service that our staff provided. Should you decide to return, please contact me directly and I will arrange all of the necessary details.

Best Regards.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The hotel was nice and the staff was friendly and helpful. Lots of colonial character. We stayed in a executive level room which was well appointed but not overly large. Remember that 5 stars in Nassau doesn't = 5 stars in the US. Before booking people should realize that this hotel is located downtown in a country that is poor. There are many benefits to staying in downtown Nassau. During the day the town is lively with many places to eat and shop. At night it we felt it was safe but there was an element of doubt but we were fine. Hotel has taxis right outside the front entrance. I recommend going to the fish fry for dinner (One entree is enough for 2 people, it will save you money). The private beach was great except when too many cruise ship people had day passes to use the beach and hotel facilities. Hilton take care about this please !

The restaurant/bar located by the pool area was terrible quality and damned expensive. Better food and service is available outside down town and is just a short walk.

We used the Exec Lounge in the evening for the snacks and drinks and the view is lovely over the harbour. Watch the Cruise Ships sail in and out with a beer or G&T.

We only really ate breakfast in the hotel and that was really nice.

All in all a nice hotel.

Room Tip: High floor Room facing the harbour...great views and watch the cruise ships
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed our facilities including the Executive Lounge, as well as the magnificent views and Colonial character. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Therefore, your comment about the pool restaurant and bar has been passed on to the relevant department for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

Furthermore, I am truly pleased to read such positive feedback about the excellent customer service that our staff provided and that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us.

Thanks for your comments about your recent stay with us and we look forward to your return!

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Hotel is well located for both business and pleasure. I had a suite on top floor with great view and rooftop access. The property is excellent with well appointed bar and dining. The workout facilities are good. It is centrally located to the banks and fine dining. Great hotel, good service and location. In room dining was very good as well.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am extremely glad to learn that you were completely satisfied with your stay.

We are truly glad that we met your expectations thanks to our well appointed bar and dining, our workout facilities, our in-room dining and our great location.

Your recommendation is very valuable to us and we look forward to more opportunities to show you our hospitality!

Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We visited this hotel on November 27 as cruise passengers with a day pass. It was absolutely beautiful! They maintained their facility and beach very well. There are plenty of loungers, couches, and beds in the yard, around the pool and on the beach so it's easy to find a place to spend your day. We spent our day on one of the two bed hut type areas on the beach. The service was top notch and Laron was funny and always there when we needed him. My husband ordered a drink and with the other things he was taking care of, Laron forgot to bring it for almost 45 min to an hour so he took care of us. This was the only semi bad thing that happened through the whole day, but he quickly rectified the situation so we have nothing, but positive things to say about it. I highly recommend staying at or visiting the property with a day pass if you're in Nassau and want a quiet, peaceful day in the sun. We are definitely coming back in the future and are even looking at a land based vacation at the hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed our facilities including the pool and beach with the comfortable day beds and cabanas.

Furthermore, I am truly pleased to read such positive feedback about the excellent customer service that our staff provided. I also want to express regret again for the delay in getting your drinks and Laron sends his regards.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to your return!

Shanasco Campbell

Been to British Colonial Hilton Nassau? Share your experiences!