“The dump” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Nettie's Place at Casuarinas

Nettie's Place at Casuarinas
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nassau
Nettie's Place at Casuarinas
Save Saved
You added Nettie's Place at Casuarinas to your Saves list
West Bay St, Cale Beach, Nassau 13225, New Providence Island (Formerly Casuarinas of Cable Beach)   |
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Shawneetown, Illinois
“The dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Checked out this hotel on web..pics were deciving. Refused to stay. No telephone in room, used a
pay phone to call another hotel and taxi. Staff were very nice and kind. I considered this to be
very old, not well kept. had no divewayjust sand in front next to highway. No ocean view as picutered
on web page.
Felt like we were "duped".

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Miami Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

best true bahamian experience,its the real thing. In what i consider to be the best part of nassau, what a vibe, NETTIE'S is truly a very very special bahamian heritagr center. dig the
art work its collectors stuff thanks for having us,you are a special family.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Knittelfeld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

I don't know why people are thinking negative about this little hotel. The Casuarinas is a low-budget place and nobody can expect 5 stars. The main thing is that i'ts clean and the employes and the family are the most friendliest people I ever met in the Bahamas! I know this accomodation including the staff since more than 26 years (sleeping there 2 or 3 times the year to reach a flight to an Out Island in the next morning) and I never had any problems. Marsha and Shirley (the owners daughters) are always very very helpful. I heard they closed the hotel at the road and re-opened the new one at the ocean-side. I am eager to see the place which is now named "Different of Nassau" - (I think the hotel guides will still name it Casuarinas). I would recommend this nice and quiet place to EVERYBODY who does not like the town-atmosphere - you won't regret it - but as I mentioned before: do not expect 5 stars! The jitney bus is stopping there almost every 15 minutes and you can get a ride downtown for 1,-- Dollar.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

It's not a fancy hotel, but the price was right and Shirley, the manager on duty was absolutely wonderful. She even helped me resolve my airline problems. The room was clean and comfortable.

While I wouldn't choose Casuarinas as a vacation destination, I would certainly overnight there again while traveling through Nassau.

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We stayed only one night at Nettie's Casuarina Hotel on January 3, 2009. My husband, brother-in-law, and I were stranded in Nassau due to flight complications from Abaco Islands, one of Bahamas' Outer Islands, returning to USA. We were not given any compensation by Continental Airlines and were stranded overnight, and the airline rep called five or six hotels to try and find us an overnight place. Nettie's Casuarina Hotel was about the seventh place she reached that finally had an availability this busy Christmas/New Year's week.

The hotel is located 5 minutes by taxi from Nassau International Airport. This is not a beachfront property but is located across a busy road from the beach, so you are more than welcome to walk to the beach (a little rocky and not condusive to swimming, though).

The staff that greeted us at the hotel were pleasant, helpful, and knowledgable about the area. Check in process was easy, and we were assigned rooms within 15 minutes, even though we had no reservations.

The exterior decor of Nettie's Casuarina Hotel is colorful in traditional Bahamian style, with local artistic works (paintings, coconut sculptors, and tilings), as well as well-groomed interior landscaping (hibiscus, ficus and various other tropical plants). The pool, however, while filled with water, had lots of brown algae on the bottom and I would not suggest venturing near it.

The hallways were narrow and dimly lit, with single fluorescent lamps that flickered on and off. Similar to another poster's observation, we noticed only ONE other family in the entire hotel. Along with the flickering fluorescent lighting, it does give you a very creepy setting.

The rooms were of adequate size, containing a twin (single) and a full (double), a TV, dresser, bed-side table, and closet. The window A/C was functionally cold, and after contacting the front desk, we were able to get a remote control for the TV, as we discovered our TV does not have an operable on/off button. Beds were hard and uncomfortable, but we've slept on worse-- this at least did not sag, poke you in the back, and were bug-free.

The bathroom had a window that opens into the hallway (so passerbys can see you!), and the ballast in the fluorescent lamp for the bathroom was broken, resulting in having to turn the light switch on and off five or six times before the light actually came on. (During daylight hours, we resorted to using the bathroom without any light, relying only on light from the hallways outside to illuminate the room). Bathroom was stocked with toilet paper, tissue paper, three bars of soap and several towels. Only one of the two faucets at the sink works. Pop-up switch that switches between bath and shower faucet head was broken, stuck in the bath position, but no stopper was provided. (Not that we would've soaked ourselves in that grimy tub...). The toilet also does not flush very well.

Check out procedure was easy, taking less than 1 minute-- all we did was hand the staff the key and we were on our way. They called the taxi for us, and waited by the side of the road till we loaded our luggage and were on our way. (They waved and wished us well).

Overall, we would not recommend this as a vacation spot, but if you're stranded on the island and need a place to stay, it is acceptable. There are grocery stores and restaurants within walking distance (along the side of the road, nothing scenic). If the lighting and plumbing fixtures are fixed, and the cleanliness improved, Nettie's Casuarina's would be a 3-star accomodation in my book, as it's located conveniently near the airport and downtown Nassau, and has a very friendly and helpful staff that are willing to do anything for you.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Potsdam, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

My sister and I stayed here, it was the worst hotel I ever stayed in!!! The bathroom was filthy, there was a roach under the sink around the toilet was dirty, soap that was used by the previous guest was still in the tub, the towels were filthy....the toilet didn't flush properly. The furniture in the room was old, the linen on the bed smelled like it hadn't been washed. I could go on and on..

The sliding doors didn't look safe and we were the only ones occuping the "hotel".

All in all the entire place needs to be redone. It also appeared as if only one person worked there, the lady at the front desk was the only person i saw(she was even in the restaurant).

The morning that we left we could not get a taxi NO ONE was in the area. We had to call a friend of our for a ride at 5:00 a.m

I wouldn't let my dog and cat stay there!!!!!!

• Liked — That I wasn't going to be there long
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montego Bay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

My friends and I arrived in Nassau at Netties place for 4dys vacation. Trying to find a comfortable and affordable place we decided to make reservations with Netties Place.

We arrived at approximately 12:30am. To our surprise this place was nothing similar to what we viewed online.

We had to play hop-scotch to pass over a huge puddle of water at the entrance due to the rainfall they had in the day. The front desk was more like a shop window, the strange ornaments hanging from the wall and ceiling were very creepy and dirty.

The room topped off the disappointment that was Netties with its musky smell, propeller-like ac and unsanitary bathroom. It took just minutes of being in the room to start coughing and sneezing, there was no light in the bathroom, no hot water. We could not stay for another minute, so we had to ask for a refund, to book another place, unfortunately we were told that the money was locked in a safe and we cannot get it until the next day.

Netties was a real disappointment but once we got somewhere else, Nassau was great!

• Liked — Didn't stay there long enough to have any likes
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Nettie's Place at Casuarinas? Share your experiences!