“Not the best, but not the worst either.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino

You added Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino to your Saves list
Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach | PO Box N-8306, Nassau 33312, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Manchester, Missouri
“Not the best, but not the worst either.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

We stayed in late October for 5 days for a family vacation. The room was nice, a corner suite in the Hybiscus tower, great for us since we have a 2.5 year old. She slept in the other room and we didn't have to tip toe around while she was asleep. Great ocean views also. We had NO trouble with hot water, a/c, noise, or vandals. Housekeeping was efficient and prompt and room service was timely. The casino is fun and the drinks are cheap, only $2 for the mixed drinks (although beer was $6). Extra bonus was the real Starbucks cafe. And the breakfast buffet was great! Great selection and clean. The employees were friendly, no trouble there. Just remember you get what you give. My husband had one of the best massages in his life at the (tiny) spa, which he was very pleasantly suprised about.

All this being said, the place is kinda run down in areas and could use a much better maintenance staff. Cigarette butts by the pool and on beach, filthy men's bathrooms are not enticing. The pool water was too cold and the pool deck is slippery when wet. Also pack your swimsuit in your carry on since check in isn't until 4pm.

Overall, it wasn't the best place I've ever stayed at but it certainly could have been worse. I enjoyed my time there and would recommend this place. However, we paid a 4 star price for a 3 star hotel which is never that exciting.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
WyndhamReply, Manager at Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
Thank you for staying at the Wyndham Nassau Resort for your recent vacation. We encourage guests to book Corner Suites especially a family or couple looking for a little more space. While it seems you had a favorable experience for the most part, we do aplogize for the aspects which appear to have fallen short of your expectations. We hope that you will retunr to the Bahamas for future vacations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I was really looking forward to a quick weekend getaway with my girlfriend, who was living in a different city than I at the time. I arrived, unpacked, and made the short 15 minute trip back to the airport to pick her up. By the time we got back to the room (a nice, top floor, two story, two room suite) it had been broken into, and I had been 'relieved' of my video camera bag and small jewelery box. I thought I had just misplaced them, so we had a nice evening at the casino. I even won $400 - my lucky day! Until returning to the room and discovering new items missing, such as a credit card I specifically didn't take to the casino to avoid loosing my shirt..

The hotel security was less than useless. After taking my statement they ran a check on the room door and said no key had been used. Basically, case closed.

I quickly realized they were either incompetent or involved, and carefully hid other the other few important items. I would have left but we only had one day left, and honestly not that much more to steal other than clothes. As far as I could tell the 'guests' did not return.

Calling Wyndham corporate offices back in the states was just as infuriating as the hotel security. They kept 'loosing' my ticket/case number, and each time i called I had to start all over. Several weeks with no progress and I finally gave up. Or rather, was defeated.

FYI, I've never asked for any compensation for this experience. I knew they wouldn't just cut a check, and there's no way I'd ever consider staying at any Wyndham hotel again.

For full disclosure, I guess I should state the room was nice, and clean as well. The hotel was under construction and entire pool area was closed, so we just walked to the other hotels on the beach.

This experience guarantees that I will never, under any circumstances, stay at any Wyndham hotel. Furthermore, the overall experience turned me off to the Bahamas in general. Much, much better destinations await.

- Mark Walters, markwaltersatl@yahoo.com

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

We stayed at the Wyndham 10/12-10/16 and it was pretty much what we expected. It is worn in places and we didn’t have hot water for a day. But it was clean and we had no problem with the staff. The workers we passed were friendly. It was not a problem when we asked to switch rooms because someone near us kept smoking on their balcony. When our hair dryer fell apart, someone brought us a replacement within a half hour.

What we were totally surprised about was how run down the Cable Beach area is. The beach in front of the old Nassau Beach hotel has greatly washed away. The rest of the beach beyond the Wyndham had a lot of glass and seaweed. Many restaurants are closed down. If you don’t want to eat at the Wyndham, it’s about a mile walk to the closest restaurants (Capriccio – Authentic Italian Cuisine is very good). Thank goodness for the Starbucks at the Wyndham. It’s the most reasonably priced place to eat at the hotel and it is good. We were also surprised that two towers at the Wyndham are not being used.

We enjoyed the Ardastra gardens and zoo. And be sure to hire a snorkel boat that stops by the beach at the hotel. The reef not far off the beach is wonderful and we’ve snorkeled many places in the Caribbean.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
WyndhamReply, Manager at Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Thank you for staying at the Wyndham Nassau Resort on your recent trip to the Bahamas.
We are sorry for did not meet up to your expectations and for leaving you with an unsatisfied stay. We do take all guests reviews seriously and strive to make improvements as needed.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

We just returned from a 4 night stay here (our 2nd time in two years) and we very much enjoyed our time there.

There were some issues:

1) The hot water doesn't come up right away --- you need to waste 3 or 4 minutes of the water running to get hot water.

2) The buffet was only open for breakfast.

3) The Casino sports book is closed ("temporary" with no date for a reopening) and the casino hours are open at 8am (formerly noon) and the table games are only open Thu - Sun afternoon/evening.

Having said all that -- it was a fun and relaxing time.

Note: We heard (and have confirmed) that there are plans by a Chinese consortium to tear down the Sheraton, Wyndham, Crystal Palace Casino and Nassau Beach Resorts and - with land across the street - build a mega-resort and (what is being billed as) the largest casino in the Caribbean.

The paperwork has been signed to begin work next year - depending on if/when the new investors can bring in their own workers to perform the bulk of the work as Bahamian work laws favor Bahamian workers doing that work - and the airport is being expanded to handle the expected increased traffic .

I'll be sorry to see it go -- I enjoyed the "sleepy/laid-back" atmosphere offered there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

I stayed at the hotel this past week and I will not stay again. The first night we were there, we had no hot water. We got it back after everyone complained and they realized they didn't turn it on!
The last two days we were there we didn't have any air conditioning in the room. The staff sent up a maintenance guy to fix it. It was never fixed. We spent the last night fighting off mosquitos because we had to open our sliding door to be able to sleep.

The staff seemed nice until you had a problem with the room. They then apologized and never followed up.

The buffet was not open for the majority of our stay so our options became limited on site. The Black Angus steak house was good.
I would stay at the Sheraton or elsewhere next time. They didn't come through this time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to send us your valued feedback. We truly regret any inconvenience or disappointment you may have experienced as a result of inconsistencies in service and any shortcomings on our part, which may have affected your stay with us. Clearly there were a number of situations encountered throughout your stay that is not reflective on the true Wyndham Resort hospitality, and we apologize for any discomfort. We will use your comments to make improvements in the future.
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

I would just like to write a few words to express how much I have enjoyed myself at the Wyndham in the Bahamas. I just got home last night and this was the second time that I have been to the Wyndham. I was there also in June, just this past summer and let me tell you I had to go back.

The place and the beach and the pool are just beautiful.

The "Pool Bar" which is called the "Tiki Hut" is the bomb. There are bartenders there that are very accomodating. Their names are Alejandro, Calvin and Diego. They make sure that you have a nice drink...alcohlic or not. You can have anything you like and they are so very nice and they make you feel so special on your Vacation. It is such a pleasure that I had to write this about them.

I mean everyone is so nice in the Hotel and they do all they can for you. But I am a beach and pool person and I enjoy it so much. It is clean and sparkling and it is so much fun to be there. So whoever is reading this...go to the Wyndham and tell Alejandro or Calvin to make you a "Bahama Mama" and tell him that Prima sent you :o)

Prima (from Forest Hills, New York)
xoxoox

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I read the reviews from others before arriving at this hotel and was shocked at what I found. I went with another couple, grabbed a cab, was greeted at the front door in a nice manner and the place looked great.. little did I know. The humidity is always bad in August, but this hotel was CONSTANTLY damp. It had the smell of a hotel that was borderline mold infested. I was given a comp "upgrade" as I told the lady it was my GFs birthday..as it was. Went to the room and it was identicle to that of a Motel 6/Super 8/two star..
Pros: great view from the room and all rooms have a balcony, average location to downtown and Atlantis, great beach and you can utilize Sheratons ammenities and beach. Decent pool and the water slide is fun. Decent buffet, great steakhouse and average asian.

Cons: The room was never dry and smelled of mold, had to wash everything when we got home due to odor, cheap bedding and hard beds, there was no difference in room temp by adjusting the thermostat 50 or 70..the room was still 75, loud non functioning AC, doors were not adjusted correctly and all doors were slammed...even at 5am. The safe didnt function and no staff had a clue/gave a hoot on a resolution.
We made the mistake of going when every DB in thier late 20s/early 30s were there. Not only was it completely awesome to see people my age acting like college DB's but the stories they were telling the ladies at the pool were classic!! Everyone had a 500 series and a six figure job, it was prime time for "fake it till you make it". I actually heard one tell a woman he was a millionare but liked this hotel so decided on this one as apposed to others..no lie. The hotel had the mold odor but smoke as well. The casino was average but had a slow vibe and it seemed everyone was hating life. I hit a nice amount and yelled out..and the music stopped, one lady starting crying and two guys told me to be quite as they were praying. Not really but I felt that way...
Lastly, the service and hospitality stopped at check in, there was never a warm, fun greeting regardless if you were ordering coffee or buying dinner. I spent 300+ on steaks and wine and the server acted as if I was at old country buffet, eating to much. When thanking anyone for anything, there were two people who responded with your welcome, those two individuals we sought out the entire stay. Very rude and you always felt as if you were asking a waiter to go out of thier way for things as simple as a glass of water.
Suggestions, stay away from interactions with any hotel staff, as you will not be greeted with much of anything but an attitude, walk down the beach to the Sheraton and spend it all there, were you are greeted with a hello and a no problem big guy! The pools right on the beach or closer than the mold hotel and the service is prompt and polite.
Google the word TIPS and its meaning and you will be very upset the tip is already included in the bill as prompt service is not a factor.
We had a great time but it was not because of this hotel, this place is a dump with a poor atmosphere and worse staff. No wonder the Atlantis is capitalizing on Paradise Island, the competition is null, unless your a cheap late 20s-early 30s DB thousandaire.. this hotel is garbage...your asking why did you stay then?...for the same reason we pay taxes..obligation

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino? Share your experiences!