“Bad news - Good news” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach | PO Box N-8306, Nassau 33312, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #16 of 33 hotels in Nassau
Atlanta, Georgia
“Bad news - Good news”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I recently decided to take a scuba vacation in Nassau at one of Royal Holiday's properties, the Wyndham Nassau Resort /Crystal Palace Casino. Big mistake. At one time, this place may have been what's happening, but now it is well, well past its prime. The rooms, and hallways show clearly that there has been little attention to maintenance for sometime. The casino was a joke, maybe 100 slot machines, but all of the gaming tables were closed. The height of the action there consisted of 25 to 30 dejected looking patrons sullenly playing slots. There was a bar, but it was dark dingy and lifeless as well. There are two relatively small restaurants, the food is pretty good, but overpriced. The only highlight was that you could take a bus from in front of the property, and for $1.25 go into downtown Nassau. You just had to finish up early because bus service stopped at 6 PM, and a taxi would cost you $15 to get back to the hotel. Also, be prepared to pay another $60 in taxes, per night, for the privilege of staying in the Bahamas. All in all, our vacation wasn't terrible, as my wife and I are not too difficult please, But this is not a property that we would want to return to, nor can we recommend it to anyone else.

Good News. There is a lot of new construction going on in the immediate area, and according to what we were told, and the pictures that we saw, there are plans to completely refurbish and develop the area there to rival Paradise Island. So, that might be good news for a few years down the road, but I really can't recommend going there now. I have to admit a certain amount of disappointment with Royal Holiday as well, this is the second time that we have gone on vacation at a very tired Holiday property.

• Stayed March 2013
WyndhamReply, Manager at Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry if your experience here was not what you expected and I apologize for any inconveniences caused due to the issues you have mentioned in your review. Our team is working hard to resolve these concerns.We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Therefore, please accept our apologies.

1,717 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The rooms were clean and bright and I had an ocean view which was nice. Reasonable for the money and how much time do you spend in the room anyway?? The hotel is a little run down and it seemed as if it is just getting by until the new hotel and water park open across the way. A lot of the hotel shops were closed and the signs advertising places to eat within the hotel were deceiving as a lot of them were closed or not in service any longer. The only food I ate at the hotel during my 3 night stay was at Starbucks and a sandwich at the beach. The beach and pool were nice and we were also had access to some amenities at the Sheraton next door. Won a little money in the casino so I was happy to spend it in the bar upstairs! If you want a great place to eat, take Bus #10 to the Fish Fry, Twin Brothers and the Anchorage were fantastic! I have a feeling the hotel won't be there when the Bahamar opens in 2014.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Hibiscus Towers and enjoyed it, although when the hotel is crowded, it could get noisy...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WyndhamReply, Manager at Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your reivew on the Wyndham Nassau Resort. I am happy that you appreciated the "value" to be able to enjoy your ocean view room, beach and pool area. I am glad that you were able to win a little at our Casino - as winning aways makes it more fun. I am also pleased to learn that you utilized the #10 jitney bus to visit the island and dine at the Fish Fry. Thanks again for staying with us.
Freeport, Freeport, The Bahamas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel is the best in the world their safe is nice as sugar and their resort is so exquisitely beatiful you will never forget an experience at this resort I wish I could live there how wonderful everything is and I really want the chef in my kitchen

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at the Wyndham Nassau Resort. I am happy that you were pleased with your stay with us. Thanks again for your reveiew and I hope we have the pleasure of welcomng you again.
Woodbridge, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I took my boyfriend to Nassau for his birthday as a surprise. I choose to stay at the Wyndham because I have stayed in several of their hotels, I have always been satisfied. This hotel/resort has to be their worst. The resort charges you an additional $38.00 fee per night because it is a resort. The carpet is dirty; we got locked out our room several times because the lock on the door malfunctioned. Security ended up breaking the lock off to get into the room. I did ask for an upgrade and was given a suite. The water was turned off one of the days we were there for about 4 hours. Every time I was in the room, especially at night my throat was sore. I assumed I was coming down with a cold. I noticed when I left the hotel an hour or so later I was fine. We stayed on the 6th floor and one day decided to take the stairs, MOLD everywhere!!! I think this was the cause of my throat. You will get access to the Sheraton by staying at the resort. If I were you I would just stay at the Sheraton. The Sheraton was a lot nicer and I remember when I booked my trip it was cheaper… The hotel is under construction it looks nothing like the pictures that are shown on their website. I am sure when the renovations are complete it will be nice but until then find another hotel!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I am truly sorry to hear that your stay was not 100% reflective of the Wyndham reputation for excellence. We value your patronage and hope that you will stay at Wyndham properties again in the future. The resort fees are mandatory in Nassau due to the Government, and the unions of the Bahamas. We have full transparency with our guests and I am sorry if you felt we did not disclose this information with you prior. It is saddening to read all of the issues you experienced during your stay with us. Your review has been forwarded to our General Manager, Housekeeping department, and Maintenance department. Thank you again for staying with us.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is was my second stay at the Wyndham. What I loved most of all was the beach. The fact that the beach was only steps away from the lobby was just more than you could ask for. If you want to stay at a really clean hotel where you can sit on the beach for hours with no interruptions, stay at the Wyndham.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing the Wyndham Nassau Resort and taking the time to share your review. I am glad you had a good experience and can appreciate our clean ocean view rooms, and our beautiful beach. Thanks again for staying with us. We anticipate your return.
Nassau, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have been to this hotel on many occasions because it was peaceful, fun, much less crowded beach and pool area with more than enough lounges and towels than the other hotel with a casino in Nassau (and the reason for even the 2 stars) but... since the start of construction on the new hotel across the street it feels like no one is paying any attention to the much needed repairs which get worse and worse every visit. Why are the rooms not checked after each and every guest? I feel like I make a checklist of all the problems and spend lots of time calling for numerous repairs at the beginning of every one of my last 3-4 trips. All the rooms have a pretty good view but in horrible state of disrepair ! There used to be several places to eat but with only 2 places to eat, why would steak house be closed for 2 days? No where to get anything to eat after midnight (not even a snack bar or vending machine) in a casino that is open to 2-4am. No longer have any shops, spa, bar club with music no longer open on Sunday, where is the band we love? and missing the club beach amenities they used to love (like massages on the beach). Everything has seemed to go downhill . Getting very shabby place to stay these days !

Room Tip: Choose another hotel or prepare to call to get everything you need or want fixed. Higher floors bet...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry to hear about your disapppointment with your stay and the challenges you encountered. Comments both positive and negative are an important tool that we use to strive to improve ourselves and we appreciate the time and efforts taken to provide them. It is still our goal to provide a high level of service and we take all comments seriously that indicate we were not successful in that endeavor. Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate departments and our General Manager for review. I can assure you this is not typical of the service provided at our resort. Thanks again for staying with us.
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is that it has a casino and is next to the beach! DO NOT…I repeat DO NOT be fooled by the on-line pictures. The exterior of the building could use a good power wash. The carpet in the hallways and rooms are in desperate need of a cleaning at minimum, but best if replaced. The elevator in the H tower aka Hibiscus has no service certificate so who knows the last time it has been serviced! The floor display in the elevator only reads 11 despite whatever floor your headed to so pay attention when riding the elevator. This hotel is right next to the new Bahamar resort construction so be mind full of a lot of dust and noise. The Bahamar resort will be finish in December 2014.

From what I heard the hotel recently laid off a bunch of workers so that maybe why they are slacking on the cleaning. By the way our room was never cleaned by a maid despite our stay from March 15-18 with two small kids. The hotel is in a nice area of Nassau, but I would suggest staying at the Sheraton next door if in your budget. This hotel is much cleaner, next to the same beach and you even have access to the casino from the Sheraton if you need to get your gamble on.

Room Tip: the H tower is a far walk from the front desk. C tower is close to everything at this resort
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Wyndham Nassau Resort and taking the time to write. We are glad that you enjoyed the beach and the casino. We truly regret any inconvenience or disappointment you have experinced as a result of inconsistencies in service and any shortcomings on our part, which may have affected your stay that were not reflective of the true Wyndham Resorts hospitality, and apologize for the discomfort experienced. Once again we are sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Been to Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino? Share your experiences!