“Bring on the merciful wrecking ball” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino

You added Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino to your Saves list
Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   West Bay Street, Cable Beach | PO Box N-8306, Nassau 33312, New Providence Island   |
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Nassau
Ashland City, Tennessee
“Bring on the merciful wrecking ball”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night at the Wyndham along with another couple after spending a week on Cat Island. Unfortunately we should have picked another hotel to use as our home base for a "back to normality" day to round out our trip. First the good news -- thanks to AAA we were able to book two rooms for a reasonable $75 each per night. The location, right on Cable Beach, was a huge plus and we ate lunch in the hotel which turned out to be quite good and reasonably priced (for hotel food.)

However, the negatives far outweighed the positives. For starters, there is massive construction going on next door -- the vaunted Bahamar resort which will allegedly dwarf Atlantis on nearby Paradise Island -- and while annoying, the construction itself isn't really the problem. The problem is that the construction has forced closed the quiet beach immediately behind the Wyndham and left open the much rougher one down the block by the Sheraton. It also may have had something to do with the second problem: we had no water for the entire first day we were there. The pools was extremely cold and the hot tub was only slightly less so, presumably because of the same lack of water. Upon inquiry, the front desk responded with a shrug and the answer, "unfortunately we don't know when it will be back on."

It turned out that the answer to that question was: the following morning. Good news right? Well, yes and no. Evidently the water system is somehow inversely connected to the hotel's computer networks because our newfound water pressure brought with it a drought of internet access. The wifi network (which is only available in the lobby, not in the room) was down on day two. Similar response from the front desk when asked. Well, no problem -- surely the pool and hot tub would be working then, right? Nope, still freezing.

So at this point, we're looking at no pool, no hot tub, no beach, no water, and no internet access. Ahh, but why complain when there's a casino! And there is -- but interestingly enough they close all table games on Mondays and Tuesdays. Guess which day we arrived?

Here comes the insult-to-injury part. Every time you go in the elevator to go to your room you have to pass by the "information desk." Not the front desk, that's at the front. The information desk. What information you ask? Well, they give you information on how to change your vacation plans for the rest of your life. Yes, yes, it's a timeshare booth. And they ask you about it...every...f'ing...time you get on the elevator. After being hassled about seven times and after experiencing everything that had gone wrong so far, I finally went up to them and told them, "the water doesn't work, the internet access doesn't work, the pools are cold, there are dumptrucks on the beach, and the casino is half closed. Why in the name of Triton's shiny left nut would I want to invest in this place?"

Well, it turns out they're shilling for Bahamar which, if God is good, will bring about swift demolition of the Wyndham. Because when you check out you get hit with another surprise: a $38 resort fee. What is that resort fee for? Well, I didn't know so I went to the expert on all things Wyndham, the front desk, and they told me it's for beach, pool, and other maintenance for the property. You know, all those things that didn't work while we were there. This question earned me a $25 discount for "customer satisfaction issues" or something. The odd thing is that our friends staying in the other room got a $50 discount. On top of that, despite requesting a late checkout (1:00PM) they cancelled our room keys at 11:00AM which meant that we had to go back down the elevator and across the casino to the front desk to get them reactivated.

Long story short, this was my first and (hopefully) last time at a Wyndham. With any luck, the whole place will be torpedoed to make way for the Bahamar in the not too distant future anyway.

Room Tip: Look for one labeled Sheraton, Atlantis, or anything other than Wyndham.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
WyndhamReply, Manager at Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. While it seems you received a great AAA rate and enjoyed lunch at one of our restaurants, we do apologize if we fell short on your expectations. We are sorry that you had a less than perfect experience at our resort. We truly regret any inconveniences or disappointments you may have experienced, as a result of inconsistencies in service and any shortcomings on our part, which may have affected your stay with us. Clearly there were a number of situations encountered throughout your stay that were not reflective of the true Wyndham Resorts hospitality, and we do apologize for the discomfort and inconsistencies experienced.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

first of all, i consider myself as the worst guest/ customer ever, because i always deman the best regardless if i'm paying a penny or a million dollar!!!!! well my stay at the wyndham was very "unexpected" when i first got to the hotel i was suprised to see what i was looking up on the internet was a bit different compare to how the hotel actually looks like, but when i called the manager on duty" ms Debby" she took time out of her busy schedule to come up to my room and see what i was not comfortable with, then she immediately send housekeeping to fix my room the way i wanted it, she made me feel valued and appreciated as a guest!!!! then there was the front desk "staffs" Desiree, glenda, andrea, and tonya from housekeeping, not to forget room service and engeneering. everybody from the hotel made me feel like a "queen" so thank you so much for your hospitality it means so much to me knowing that money was not all you guys were interested in. upon my departure the manager Ms debby offered to personally made my reservation for me next time i decide to visite nassau again!!!! now that's what i call going above and beyond" i give the staff at the wyndham hotel a 10 out of 10 for great customer service..... thank you all and yes i can't wait to go back..:)

Room Tip: if you go to the wyndham and you are not happy with anything, please don't be rude to anybody be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
WyndhamReply, Manager at Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for for staying us and taking time out of your busy day to post such a positive review. At the Wyndham Nassau Resort we strongly feel that the people are what set us apart from others and I am pleased that you agree we have chosen the right members of our team such as Desiree, Glenda, Tonya and Debbie and the rest of our housekeeping/engineering team. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We hope to see you again.
Buffalo, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

From the moment we arrrived at the Wyndham, the staff treated us like a king and queen. My wife was more than Impressed with my choice. The room was very spacious and clean. We loved this place and will be returning soon!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
WyndhamReply, Manager at Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Wyndham Nassau Resort. We are pleased you had an enjoyable and relaxing time at our resort. We especially appreciate your comments about the rooms, the staff and the property. Comments such as yours are what motivates us as a team everyday to improve the quality of service that we offer and fulfill our commitment with customer satisfaction. Thank you again for choosing the Wyndham Nassau Resort.
Bridgetown, Barbados
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I really cannot recommend anything about this hotel apart from the staff in the 2 restaurants, who were very efficient and helpful and friendly. The hotel is too expensive for what you get (price does not include even breakfast), e.g it's $50 a night more than a hotel up the road whose price includes ALL meals and alcohol. I think they just focus on the casino part, so ai guess if you are into that, it might be fine. But I was there for a work trip, and was not impressed. At reception I was told that wifi in the room would cost $14.95 a night - so I paid up in advance for the 2 nights. Then I was told to dial 0 to be able to talk to a technician who would help me to connect. Which I did - but it turns out that this was a long-distance call to AT&T in the US which they actually tried to make me pay for - although just a dollar or two, I flatly refused. When I got my laptop configured and the Internet going, the technician informed me that this price was PER DEVICE - so if I also wanted my phone hooked up to the wifi, I'd have to pay double... So I was down in the lobby (where there was free wifi) Whatsapping my baby-sitter to go onto Skype so I could talk to my daughter and then running back upstairs to the room for the Skype conversation...
The carpets throughout were shabby and stained, and although I know a hurricane had just gone through the week before, I am comparing this hotel where I stayed to the cheaper one I mentioned above, where others attending the same conference as I were staying, and in which the conference was held, so if one hotel nearby can be in good condition and pretty clean 1 week post-Sandy, then why not its neighbour? The drawers in the chest-of-drawers in my room smelled musty and damp, and there was no way I was putting any clothes in there.
There was construction going on, so a good load of rat-a-tat-a-tat drilling from 9 am to 6:30 pm. The pool looked filthy from up above (but that could've been due to the hurricane), and the entire beach in front of the hotel was blocked off, due to the nearby construction.
All in all, it was not a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: I wouldn't choose any room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WyndhamReply, Manager at Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank you for your review. I apologize for your room not being up to your standards. We truly strive to have our rooms looking and smelling fresh and operating without any flaws. As far as the pool and beach area, you stayed right after Tropical Storm Sandy, so of needless to say we were still in the process of cleaning up. We appreciate your review.
Larchmont, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Common areas have lots of glass and mirrors. Not just windows but also railings, walls, partitions, etc. They all look like they haven't been washed in a decade.

Dirty, dirty. Gambling casino dominates the lobby and makes the whole place smell like stale cigarette smoke.

In contrast, the Sheraton next door is bright, clean, and lively. Go there.

Room Tip: Difficult to navigate within the hotel. Had trouble locating open bars, breakfast spot, news stand...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We are sorry you had a less than perfect experience at the Resort. In reading your comments, there are so many sercvice points we failed to deliver. We truly value your feedback you have provided. This is certainly not up to our standards and again we apologize.
Bayonne, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Do not even think about this terrible place. It is very dirty; black mold misxt with web and dust covers restaurant's ceiling. Airconditionning is not working or not working properly. I checked three different rooms and none was decent. No refrifirator old furniture. Stains on carpeting and on top of that I was bitten by some bugs. After first night I left and move to a really good resort.
I found out from local residents that this hotel has a lot of problems and it should be closed.

Room Tip: You will not find a good room in this hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Plainfield, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Do not go there before the complex is completely renovated; it really needs the renovation to comply to modern standards. Annoying was the constant harassment of timeshare sharks outside and inside the hotel to lure tourists into buying a vacation package of more than 20000 dollars! If you go to a 90 minute presentation "with no obligations" expect manipulation and pressure techniques of the sales people. Because they did not take NO for an answer, we just walked out.

Summarized: This hotel is totally not worth the amount of money we had to pay for it and needless to say we will never, ever go back there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham Nassau Resort & Crystal Palace Casino? Share your experiences!