“Great for lunch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Athena Cafe & Bar

Athena Cafe & Bar
Bay & Charlotte Street, Down Town, Nassau, Nassau P.O.Box N-3669, New Providence Island
+1 242-326-1296
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 216 Restaurants in Nassau
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Bar, Mediterranean, Greek, Bahamian
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: Located in the heart of downtown Bay Street, Athena cafe offers the authentic greek cuisine with a Bahamian flare. Not only you can find the traditional greek favorites here but also Bahamian delicacies such as conch, snapper, grouper and lobster! We are a true, family operated business that want everyone to feel like family as soon as they enter. Have a choice to sit at our cosy bar, our air conditioned dining room or the lively verandah.
Toronto, Canada
“Great for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Must try their grilled calamari and chicken souvlaki, it tasted sooo good and the dressing for the salad was just like home made.

Visited April 2013

• Turkish first
Yarmouth, Canada
“Familiar territory”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Good Greek restaurant with traditonal Greek dishes, I loved the Spanekopia??. They also serve familiar stuff like burgers and fries, seafood, pie, etc that appeals to most and it is all fairly well done. Not too pricey either.

Visited May 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
“Awesome flaming cheese!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great restaurant, not ADA Accessible, but awesome if you can do stairs.It is a must if you are a fan of Greek food!

Visited March 2013
Atlanta
“Gyro meat not from authentic spit/rotisserie!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was really looking forward to this place in Nassau. After going to Greece and having such great food, I thought how fantastic it would be to eat in Nassau and have some authentic Greek food at a place owned and run by Greeks. Maybe the other dishes are authentic and delicious (based on other TA reviews) but I just wanted a gyro for a light lunch. How much more Greek can you get than to have a lamb gyro? Well, imagine how disappointing it was to get gyros (ordered by me and my hubby) and to have our meat look EXACTLY the same... 3 processed strips on each. The flavor was okay and the fries were good but come on... shouldn't a Greek cafe have its own spit/rotisserie?! (Heck, I can get this in casual joints in Atlanta.) We sat on the outdoor balcony above the main street and this was nice... great view. Just too bad that the gyro wasn't freshly sliced. I see now that some other TA reviewers mentioned this but I did not catch it before our visit. Perhaps we should have ordered something more expensive/fancy to experience their good food, but isn't a Gyro the most popular item when in a Greek cafe (especially for lunch)? For those who are curious, the cost for 2 lamb gyros (which comes with fries), 2 Kalik beers and 1 Mythos beer and automatic gratuity was $52.90.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Great Greek Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Gregory, our server, was probably family- I didn't ask,,,, but the service was great and the food was fresh and fantastic.

Lots of Apps for my family of four.... we ate family style, sharing grilled octopus, feta and olives, Tzakiki (I know I spelled that wrong!), greek salad.... then on to lamy gyros and cracked conch... all was tasty, fresh and delicious. Including a bottle of Greek white wine (about 45 bucks) our tab was about 200 bucks. Nothing in the Bahamas is cheap... but the price was fair for the local and the quality of the ffod was very good. Finished dinner with Greek coffee (and Ouzo) and Baklava that was still warm out of the oven... yummmm!!
If you;re in downtown area, it's on Bay street, very easy to find...sit outside on the balcony over the main shopping street and enjoy the day!!

• Visited March 2013