“Good place for a birthday dinner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Athena Cafe & Bar

Athena Cafe & Bar
Bay & Charlotte Street, Down Town, Nassau, Nassau P.O.Box N-3669, New Providence Island
+1 242-326-1296
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 198 Restaurants in Nassau
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Bar, Mediterranean, Greek, Bahamian
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: Located in the heart of downtown Bay Street, Athena cafe offers the authentic greek cuisine with a Bahamian flare. Not only you can find the traditional greek favorites here but also Bahamian delicacies such as conch, snapper, grouper and lobster! We are a true, family operated business that want everyone to feel like family as soon as they enter. Have a choice to sit at our cosy bar, our air conditioned dining room or the lively verandah.
Washington, Pennsylvania
“Good place for a birthday dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The portions are very generous and delicious. The service is friendly and helpful. They even put a sparkler on my piece of baklava and sang to me.

Visited December 2012

• Turkish first
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Greek with a Caribbean twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Easy to find from the cruise ship, and really good food, great service and friendly staff. The conch fritters were a great starter. We had the grouper gyro and the club sandwich. We split the sandwiches - and had way too much food. Next time we cruise, we will come again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Knittelfeld
“Nice, overpriced including ridiculous OPA!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I've been there in June, after I've been robbed in my own apartment on an out-island. Well, I've sold my apartment and after 30 years of Bahamas they'll never see me one more time again at this place. The young Bahamians became respectless, nasty, are always drunk or/and high because full of drugs. Waiting for a next flight from Nassau to Europe I went downtown and was really curious to taste Bahamian Greek food. I ordered a Gyros (I was wondering about the price...)... anyhow, it was really fine even it was served in a different way than the Greeks use to do. The owner always was turning around shouting his ridiculous OPA... I could feel that he is not interested in his guests, his interest is their money... I've tried to talk in Greek with him - no way - I think he don't even knows what OPA means!!!! But if the tourists like to be outsmarted... well, it's anyone's own decision if they want to try good but expensive Greek food...

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canada
“Authentic homemade Greek”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Best Greek my husband and I have had outside of Greece. The grilled octopus was perfectly done, and the gyros had a yummy homemade tzatziki sauce. The food was reasonably priced considering what one can pay in other tourist destinations for good Greek food. The waiter we had was attentive and very friendly. We sat on the patio overlooking Bay street at all of the Christmas decorations on the buildings across the street. When in the Bahamas we would go back to Athena for Greek food again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Tourist Trap!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Worst experience ever. Food is way overpriced and just about average. The owner is annoying and tries to sell you his "specials" before you actually sat down. You can't leave the place without feeling completely ripped off.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere