“Far beyond expectations (useful info here)” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Boat Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Intimate day-cruise ship, perfect for snorkeling expeditions and quiet contemplation of the beautiful ocean.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
“Far beyond expectations (useful info here)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Being a solo traveler on business looking for a side excursion, I thought long and hard before I booked Flying Cloud for the Sunday Cruise (10am-3pm including lunch). From other reviews, it seemed to be all about couples and families. Anyhow, here's my experience.
- Free pickup from my hotel was easy. The bus showed up about 5 minutes late which is good for Bahamas.
- After waiting at the ferry terminal, we boarded. I was able to pay on-board with a credit card. No need to pre-pay when you book. They are very trusting.
- After leaving port via mechanical power, the captain cut the engine and hoisted the sail. The peaceful silence of sailing is almost magical. I wouldn't want to take a motorized cruise again.
- 45 minutes later we stopped at a nice snorkeling spot on the south (sheltered) side of Rose Island. The coral was magnificent and very much alive, and I saw a good number of fish I've not seen before (I've been snorkeling all over the Carribean). Snorkeling equipment was included and worked fine. The corals varied between 5 feet and 20 feet deep, making it an ideal snorkeling spot. There were no other boats with us and I never felt crowded by other snorkelers.
- We then sailed to a dock on Rose Island. On the way there they fed us lunch (chicken, ribs, salad, drinks)
- Rose Island is paradise. Uninhabited, unspoiled, wide crescent beach on the north and gorgeous rocky shore on the south. You can see both sides at the same time since it's a very very narrow island.
- We stayed there for about 1.5 hours. I did some exploring, hiking, swimming, and just relaxing on the beach.
- People were very friendly. As a solo traveler I didn't have any problems feeling alone. In fact, I made some new friends!
- The "rum punch" had almost no rum in it (undetectable). Which was probably a good thing because no one was drunk and acting like idiots.
- On the 1 hour sail back to port, I got a spot on the front of the catamaran where I could lie down completely flat. It was the most soothing experience ever, bobbing up and down with the waves and having a nice breeze and sunshine.
- All the staff was friendly and helpful. They helped people who have never snorkeled before.
- Since I had to transfer hotels, I was able to bring my small suitcase aboard the boat and tuck it under the bench. It was not a problem. I also got free transportation to my other hotel.

I really agonized over choosing Stuart Cove because I enjoy snorkeling a lot and wanted to swim with the sharks, but after doing the Flying Cloud, I felt like it was the right choice because the sailing itself was so wonderful, as well as the time to relax on Rose Island. Stuart Cove would have been a very long bus ride from downtown Nassau. Keep that in mind wherever you are lodging.

Even if you're staying at the Atlantis, I would recommend the Flying Cloud. It's a great way to get away from the crowd and see something different.

*** Keep in mind my review is for the Sunday Cruise, which is different from other cruises they offer ***

Visited April 2013

Birmingham, Alabama
“Don't miss this adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We just returned from 6 nights at Atlantis. Fantastic experience for our family, especially our 8 and 10 yr old boys. Whatever you do, be sure to book the 1/2 day Flying Cloud snorkel/sailing excursion. The crew (Kai, Will and Marlene) was warm and very entertaining. We saw tons of fish and had a great time. Can't wait to go back. We will be sure to book another trip with Flying Cloud.

Visited March 2013
Lewis Center, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Friendly crew, nice boat, good snorkeling, but 2 negatives also”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The boat itself was nice, as was the crew. For mass-used equipment, the snorkeling gear provided was also in good shape. The snorkeling site itself was a good one, better than the previous site my wife and I had visited near St. Thomas.
However, the first (and major) negative here was that the snorkeling site chosen was Rose Island, and there were WAY too many other boats (presumably from other similar companies) there for the snorkeling to be truly enjoyable-- I spent half my time in the water trying not to hit other people with my flippers or run into them headfirst!
The second (and minor though aggravating) negative here was that our trip fee included transport both from the ferry terminal to the Flying Cloud, and back again afterwards. The transport to the Flying Cloud was fine-- however, the transport back was a problem. Somehow, not enough transport was arranged for the return trip, leaving about a dozen of us standing around for a half hour waiting for something else to be arranged. When a large van finally arrived to take us back downtown, the driver was clearly not in a good mood about it (and told us that he was doing someone a big favor by driving us), and made a couple of quite unnecessary detours to run personal errands while we waited in the van!
Overall, I'd say that the experience was not any better than we would have had if we'd booked a snorkeling excursion directly through our cruise ship, based on hearing other people talk about theirs onboard the ship later... a disappointment, as we'd booked the Flying Cloud based on reviews that it was superior to the cruise ship options...

Visited February 2013
30 attraction reviews
“Fun afternoon on the water and snorkeling!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

We took the afternoon snorkeling trip to rose island. I had tried to make reservations via email and never could get a response so I called about a week before our trip and was able to get the trip reserved. They picked us up at atlantis on time and we took the very short drive to the pier at the harbor. I think there were about 40 people on the trip. It was a pretty relaxed set up as they were serving alcohol pre-snorkel and the "safety speech" was optional. At rose island, they dropped a few people off to just hang out on the beach and then the rest of us snorkeled off the reef close by for up to an hour. My husband and I have snorkeled a fair amount and always enjoy it butI would say that this reef was just OK--saw the standard fish but not really anything spectacular. The catamaran ride with sails up was awesome and made the trip for me! They did provide a rum punch and soda and a bag of chips on the way back to the harbor. Staff on the boat were fun and helpful and tried to get everyone involved.
Definitely a fun afternoon and very easy to access from atlantis!

New York City, New York
“Do not use Flying Cloud”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I reserved the snorkeling excursion to Rose Island with Flying Cloud during my cruise stop in Nassau.. They never showed up and when I spoke to them an hour and half after planned departure they said they had to cancel as they did not have the minimum number of people required for them to make money for the tour. despite confirming the tour via email two weeks earlier. I spoke to a representative who told me they sent me an email (never received it and was on cruise ship so very expensive to use internet anyhow) and that others who reserved the tour cancelled due to threatening weather that day. (It was partly cloudy). Flying Cloud does not require a deposit and related cancellation policy like most tour companies so if others cancel the tour at the last minute you are screwed. Do your homework and use a more reputable company like Stuarts Cove who we would have used have we been in port for a longer time

Visited February 2013